Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8719001 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/19
« Reply #16525 on: March 01, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
He is the "hottest" kid on the recruiting trail.....Has like 30 offers.....And yes....next year.....with 3 years of eligibility......

And yes.....That speaks to the Markus situation......

I kind of found that to change my view a little bit if Markus is coming back.....

Markus is a smart kid who will factor all the information and make a great decision and we should support him either way.....

My heart says he comes back to make a run - my head tells me there's no way. He has little left to prove that he can't prove and develop in the NBA while double-timing as a sharpshooter off the bench. He'll probably graduate this offseason. He's probably at his ceiling, and the only things that can hurt him are injuries and a larger body of evidence on the right way to control his game.

Going to enjoy Markus doing Markus things this final month of the year, and if he's here after all of it, it's icing.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16526 on: March 01, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
Heard they just changed the Senior Day program to include Markus. Reprinting everything this weekend.

Mixed news: Dawson Garcia is heading to Iowa to take his official this weekend. The Hawkeyes host Rutgers. Their HC is currently suspended. Lol. I don't know if he can be in the building??? Seems awkward.

Also, might swing over to watch Dain again tonight. Park Center hosts Anoka tonight at 7pm. Playoffs beginning soon in Minnesota...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16527 on: March 01, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
Not sure, but he may have been a full qualifier out of high school (like DJO) who went JUCO to improve his offers.

I think this is right, except I would say he's more like Jimmy Butler.  IIRC, Butler qualified out of HS but DJO didn't.  It was during DJO's JUCO year when his qualifying status was heading towards approval.   

DJO was a very unique situation.

I wouldn't read too much into this McNeil visit.  Stan following a lead and making an evaluation.  Let's see if Marquette offers.  Let's see if Wojo visits.  Those two things would signify more serious interest.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16528 on: March 01, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
He is the "hottest" kid on the recruiting trail.....Has like 30 offers.....And yes....next year.....with 3 years of eligibility......

And yes.....That speaks to the Markus situation......

I kind of found that to change my view a little bit if Markus is coming back.....

Markus is a smart kid who will factor all the information and make a great decision and we should support him either way.....

Complete overreaction.  Looks like the kid is a really good player. Scores tge ball like Rowsey,  we have an open scholarship. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:11:58 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16529 on: March 01, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »
Complete overreaction.  Looks like the kid is a really good player. Scores tge ball like Rowsey,  we have an open scholarship. 

I view this as more of an indication that Symir won't be reclassifying rather than Markus will be leaving early. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16530 on: March 01, 2019, 09:19:34 AM »
What kind of JUCO competition is in Ohio?  Seems a long way from Kansas / Texas which traditionally boast the best conferences / competition.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16531 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »
I view this as more of an indication that Symir won't be reclassifying rather than Markus will be leaving early.

Same
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #16532 on: March 01, 2019, 09:21:10 AM »
Are they sure McNeil would be ready to go next season? He's only a freshman now. Some JUCOs graduate in a year but most need two years.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/archdeacon-sinclair-freshman-thankful-for-second-chance/anihjdYkhIPi3VehArtQVO/

TL;DR
Was on scholarship to D2 Bellarmine.
After a week at school made a rash decision that college wasn't for him and dropped out.
Went home and enrolled at a CC that didn't offer sports last season.
Ended up at Sinclair and is on track to graduate at the end of this year.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNix683jQiA

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16533 on: March 01, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »
Heard they just changed the Senior Day program to include Markus. Reprinting everything this weekend.

Mixed news: Dawson Garcia is heading to Iowa to take his official this weekend. The Hawkeyes host Rutgers. Their HC is currently suspended. Lol. I don't know if he can be in the building??? Seems awkward.

Also, might swing over to watch Dain again tonight. Park Center hosts Anoka tonight at 7pm. Playoffs beginning soon in Minnesota...

Sport the conspicuous MU gear, lock it down for us

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16534 on: March 01, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »
Sport the conspicuous MU gear, lock it down for us

I’m always fully Quetted!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16535 on: March 01, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/archdeacon-sinclair-freshman-thankful-for-second-chance/anihjdYkhIPi3VehArtQVO/

TL;DR
Was on scholarship to D2 Bellarmine.
After a week at school made a rash decision that college wasn't for him and dropped out.
Went home and enrolled at a CC that didn't offer sports last season.
Ended up at Sinclair and is on track to graduate at the end of this year.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNix683jQiA

Thanks for sharing this. I'm not expert on all the NCAA rules, but would this mean that he has two years left, not three? I assume his week at Bellarmine would be counted against him, then the year at Sinclair, leaving two years left. I could be wrong but I thought the general rule was that if you are on scholarship for any length of time that counts as a year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16536 on: March 01, 2019, 01:07:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I'm not expert on all the NCAA rules, but would this mean that he has two years left, not three? I assume his week at Bellarmine would be counted against him, then the year at Sinclair, leaving two years left. I could be wrong but I thought the general rule was that if you are on scholarship for any length of time that counts as a year.

He did not play at the first JUCO.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16537 on: March 01, 2019, 01:23:29 PM »
He did not play at the first JUCO.

Okay, now I'm realizing I forgot the people can redshirt if they don't play. So I guess what I'm asking is, is he a true freshman? Or is he a redshirt freshman because of the week he spent at Bellarmine?
TAMU

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #16538 on: March 01, 2019, 01:27:46 PM »
Just heard that Torrence is probably reclassifying, from someone connected with Vermont Academy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16539 on: March 01, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
I don't take the JUCO interest to mean anything about the current roster one way or the other. Kid has 30 offers. Likely just trying to get in on a good three year player that can help us. ABR.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #16540 on: March 01, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
I don't take the JUCO interest to mean anything about the current roster one way or the other. Kid has 30 offers. Likely just trying to get in on a good three year player that can help us. ABR.
what are all the schools that have offered?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16541 on: March 01, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
Just heard that Torrence is probably reclassifying, from someone connected with Vermont Academy.

Hell yeah hope it's true

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #16542 on: March 01, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »
Hell yeah hope it's true

Doesn't this also mean that someone besides Matt is leaving the program?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16543 on: March 01, 2019, 01:47:02 PM »
Doesn't this also mean that someone besides Matt is leaving the program?

Chartouny
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16544 on: March 01, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
what are all the schools that have offered?

http://verbalcommits.com/players/sean-mcneil

Biggest offers are Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia. Some solid low and mid majors on the list as well.
TAMU

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #16545 on: March 01, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »

My guess is he’s waiting on Howard, whom I believe is 99% gone. He’s not going to grow 3 inches his senior year. His team is going to win big east, he’s going to be Big East POY, he averaging 26 a game and will finish his career 2nd (maybe 1st) on the all time scoring list. What else can he do? If he comes back scouts will only pick apart his game. Plus he’s a small guy, risk for injury. He’s be foolish to come back if he’s guaranteed to get drafted.

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
« Reply #16546 on: March 01, 2019, 02:08:38 PM »
My guess is he’s waiting on Howard, whom I believe is 99% gone. He’s not going to grow 3 inches his senior year. His team is going to win big east, he’s going to be Big East POY, he averaging 26 a game and will finish his career 2nd (maybe 1st) on the all time scoring list. What else can he do? If he comes back scouts will only pick apart his game. Plus he’s a small guy, risk for injury. He’s be foolish to come back if he’s guaranteed to get drafted.

He isn't guranteed to get drafted

and definitely isn't guranteed an NBA check

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16547 on: March 01, 2019, 02:16:42 PM »

You do realize the new rule is you can put in for the draft, find out if you are drafted and still come back if you aren’t drafted where you thought.

He isn’t guaranteed to be drafted. Most experts say he won’t this year.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #16548 on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
You do realize the new rule is you can put in for the draft, find out if you are drafted and still come back if you aren’t drafted where you thought.

He isn’t guaranteed to be drafted. Most experts say he won’t this year.

FIFY. This only applies if you don't get drafted at all, right? So if Markus goes through the process and gets picked 60th, he could not come back to MU. At least, that is my understanding. However if he didn't get drafted at all, he'd be able to return.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16549 on: March 01, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »

I don't believe that is accurate.  They have until the end of May (10 days after the combine ends) to declare if they are staying or going.  The NCAA passed a rule that allows for someone to return by the Monday after the draft.  Or at least they proposed such a rule.  But the NBA and NBAPA have not given their approval.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback