[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8465329 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/19
« Reply #16425 on: February 20, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »
He’s force fed minutes at Kansas? Who should be playing ahead of him?

The guy would be our second best guard by a wide margin. I’d love to have him here.

I’ve only seen a handful of Kansas games, but boy did he look brutal. This surprises me but I’ll take a backseat because this is the recruiting thread.

I only have one point to make
We all, including me, wanted grimes really badly. Kansas wanted him really badly. What I’ve seen from live action, read from bill self quotes etc, all leads me to believe that grimes was either rated higher than expected, or is underachieving.

I mean Kansas is in dire need of someone to step up and he hasn’t done squat. Self is passing him up for a guard he wanted to redshirt.

He isn’t the only one though- look at quinerly at nova, woof

Sometimes the recruits you miss can end up helping you I guess. Maybe MU got lucky in missing this time around, and maybe again with Nico since I think he struggles to play w Kobe and Markus (if he stays) and Wojo and co may have done better with our 2020 pg.

We won’t know for sure for a few yrs but it’s possible

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16426 on: February 20, 2019, 11:55:37 PM »
I’ve only seen a handful of Kansas games, but boy did he look brutal. This surprises me but I’ll take a backseat because this is the recruiting thread.

I only have one point to make
We all, including me, wanted grimes really badly. Kansas wanted him really badly. What I’ve seen from live action, read from bill self quotes etc, all leads me to believe that grimes was either rated higher than expected, or is underachieving.

I mean Kansas is in dire need of someone to step up and he hasn’t done squat. Self is passing him up for a guard he wanted to redshirt.

He isn’t the only one though- look at quinerly at nova, woof

Sometimes the recruits you miss can end up helping you I guess. Maybe MU got lucky in missing this time around, and maybe again with Nico since I think he struggles to play w Kobe and Markus (if he stays) and Wojo and co may have done better with our 2020 pg.

We won’t know for sure for a few yrs but it’s possible

I’m confused. One post you claim Self is force feeding Grimes unwarranted minutes and then the next you claim Self is passing up Grimes for a guard he wanted to redshirt. Which is it?

Sometimes freshman are freshman. And sometimes they fit in better at one place than they do at another place. His first 3/4 of a year of college basketball at Kansas are not anything close to a guarantee that it’s what his first 3/4 of a year of college basketball at MU or anywhere else.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16427 on: February 21, 2019, 12:01:17 AM »
I’m confused. One post you claim Self is force feeding Grimes unwarranted minutes and then the next you claim Self is passing up Grimes for a guard he wanted to redshirt. Which is it?

Sometimes freshman are freshman. And sometimes they fit in better at one place than they do at another place. His first 3/4 of a year of college basketball at Kansas are not anything close to a guarantee that it’s what his first 3/4 of a year of college basketball at MU or anywhere else.

He’s force feeding grimes minutes, grimes isn’t producing, self in turn is looking to agbaji and Dotson for minutes and production.
I’m not an insider, just what I’ve heard multiple times.

I get it, he’s a freshman. We shouldn’t put too much pressure on him. He wanted to be one and done tho and he’s fallen out of projected lottery (yes in many cases top 7-8) to might not even go to nba. By any account that’s a bad yr, and I think the same would’ve happened at MU.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16428 on: February 21, 2019, 06:44:21 AM »
He’s force feeding grimes minutes, grimes isn’t producing, self in turn is looking to agbaji and Dotson for minutes and production.
I’m not an insider, just what I’ve heard multiple times.

I get it, he’s a freshman. We shouldn’t put too much pressure on him. He wanted to be one and done tho and he’s fallen out of projected lottery (yes in many cases top 7-8) to might not even go to nba. By any account that’s a bad yr, and I think the same would’ve happened at MU.

Grimes is out there because they need him n hes the best they have.  Ges mostly at the 2, dotson at tge 1.  Vick left the team and tgey have brought back agbaji on the wing. Just because hes not lighting ut up doesnt mean he isnt one if tge pkayers that deserves to be on the court. Especially with injuries, ineligibilty, n kids that quit.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

gowojo

• Walk-On
« Reply #16429 on: February 21, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »
Foster going to Duke

How do you know this? Did he tell you personally?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #16430 on: February 21, 2019, 08:56:09 AM »
I know it’s never easy to land a 5* recruit, but if we go 0 for 3 on Johnson, Baldwin and Foster, it will be majorly disappointing. Once in a generation level talent in MKE high schools right now.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #16431 on: February 21, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
I know it’s never easy to land a 5* recruit, but if we go 0 for 3 on Johnson, Baldwin and Foster, it will be majorly disappointing. Once in a generation level talent in MKE high schools right now.

I wouldn't expect any of these 3 to end up at MU.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #16432 on: February 21, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »

Did you see any of the Duke/UNC game last night. All the hype. Dignitaries in attendance including Obama and spike lee. Hours of buildup on espn. Twitter abuzz about the game.

It is hard for a kid to pass that up. No disgrace in losing out on a player that can go to that atmosphere.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16433 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
Did you see any of the Duke/UNC game last night. All the hype. Dignitaries in attendance including Obama and spike lee. Hours of buildup on espn. Twitter abuzz about the game.

It is hard for a kid to pass that up. No disgrace in losing out on a player that can go to that atmosphere.

This. If Markus were to win POY this or next year and we had outrageous back to back tournament runs I could see us getting our hopes up but for now it's a crazy long shot.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16434 on: February 21, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
Wee couldn't a ford Grimes, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16435 on: February 21, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #16436 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »

But we had Brad Stevens and Gordon Hayward and uncle Rick the jump around guy and a half filled student section doe!

That reminds me I’m surprised there hasn’t been a post about the size of the crowd last night

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #16437 on: February 21, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »

I certainly understand the allure of playing at a program like Duke, and I wouldn’t begrudge any of them for choosing to do so, but this is our best shot at a recruiting class that would alter the trajectory of the program. You have to admit it will be disappointing to miss out on NBA guys raised in our own backyard.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16438 on: February 21, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
I certainly understand the allure of playing at a program like Duke, and I wouldn’t begrudge any of them for choosing to do so, but this is our best shot at a recruiting class that would alter the trajectory of the program. You have to admit it will be disappointing to miss out on NBA guys raised in our own backyard.

Speaking of missing NBA guys in our own backyard, did MU ever go after Latrell Sprewell?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16439 on: February 21, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »

Patrick Baldwin was hardly raised in Marquette's back yard. Hell, he was enrolled and playing in summer leagues for Loyola Academy in Wilmette not even two years ago.

There are very little Milwaukee ties for the Baldwin family besides Pat Sr. getting a head coaching opportunity.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16440 on: February 21, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
But we had Brad Stevens and Gordon Hayward and uncle Rick the jump around guy and a half filled student section doe!

That reminds me I’m surprised there hasn’t been a post about the size of the crowd last night

Seems like the crowd is getting entitled just from a reaction standpoint. Less cheering on baskets, more angst when we're losing. The result of increased expectations, I suppose.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16441 on: February 21, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »
Seems like the crowd is getting entitled just from a reaction standpoint. Less cheering on baskets, more angst when we're losing. The result of increased expectations, I suppose.

Ha, that happened all the time my Freshman and Sophomore year. Took something special a la Wisconsin, Louisville, or Syracuse to really get the crowd going.

With that being said, current students take advantage of it and enjoy it. Never know when it can fall off a cliff. Made for a depressing junior and senior year.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16442 on: February 21, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
Foster going to Duke

Has the staff told him about the exploding dukeshoes?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16443 on: February 21, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Ha, that happened all the time my Freshman and Sophomore year. Took something special a la Wisconsin, Louisville, or Syracuse to really get the crowd going.

With that being said, current students take advantage of it and enjoy it. Never know when it can fall off a cliff. Made for a depressing junior and senior year.

this. Super senior year sucked, though after looking at the schedule I suppose there was still lingering hope till we lost the last three regular season games..
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16444 on: February 21, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »

The trajectory of the program has been altered......... ::)

Recruits will go where they go......you try to recruit the best kids that fit your culture.......If Foster Baldwin and Johnson end up at blue bloods then so be it.

I'm glad we have Symir....a top 50 kid who wants to be here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16445 on: February 21, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
Speaking of missing NBA guys in our own backyard, did MU ever go after Latrell Sprewell?

I never recall his name mentioned. And the thing is those Milwaukee Washington teams were loaded back then so there would have been some buzz about him but I think he was such a screw up that no one really cared.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16446 on: February 21, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »

If we got him, he'd have choked.

And we weren't paying enough back then for him to feed his family.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16447 on: February 21, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
Has the staff told him about the exploding dukeshoes?

Duke is like 25 years behind Marquette.  We did the blowing up shoes things in like 1994.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16448 on: February 21, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
[/quote

I agree. I expect we will miss out on all three, but it would still be disappointing. That's generational type talent in the area. I think you can both expect to not get any of the three and be disappointed if it comes to pass.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16449 on: February 21, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »

Latrells back ground pre college mirrored his reputation near the end if his career.  SEC the right place for him.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback