'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8340547 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/19
« Reply #16375 on: February 19, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »
I just think it was awesome that Ben did that. Thanks, Ben!

Wonder if any nudge was put forward by the staff? Legitimately wondering, no clue if stuff like that happens. Would be smart though.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16376 on: February 19, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
Agree.  It was good to see Ben being proactive.  Garcia sounds like a great pick by wojo.  A big man who can dribble, shoot and defend.

I have no idea if the timing was coincidental or not but I asked Ben if he could do an interview with Garcia to follow up on his visit......a few days later he posted the interview.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16377 on: February 19, 2019, 10:14:00 AM »
I have no idea if the timing was coincidental or not but I asked Ben if he could do an interview with Garcia to follow up on his visit......a few days later he posted the interview.

This is more likely ...

Wonder if any nudge was put forward by the staff? Legitimately wondering, no clue if stuff like that happens. Would be smart though.

... than this.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #16378 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
This is more likely ...

... than this.

Sounds like we need to nudge him more often!

It is interesting, because I don't think he has done many of these sorts of pieces until the recruit has actually committed.  Would love to see more of it, especially when guys take their official visits. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #16379 on: February 19, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
Offer out to 2020 SF Andre Jackson.  AAU teammate of Torrence

https://twitter.com/TheCityRocks/status/1097685951772610560

Before Jamal and Greg I don't remember Marquette bringing in a pair of AAU teammates.  Is that a growing trend in college basketball?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16380 on: February 19, 2019, 12:05:56 PM »
Before Jamal and Greg I don't remember Marquette bringing in a pair of AAU teammates.  Is that a growing trend in college basketball?

Wade and Blankson were summer teammates.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16381 on: February 19, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »

I think it is easier to get the second recruit, once his friend commits.  They will have alot more to talk about then.  Like come to MU, it would be great
to play with you for a few years.  Makes total sense.  I hear Sibley and Johnson want to play together, better chance it happens at MU then Duke.  You
never know.  It will be very interesting to see who the next recruit will be.  Jackson, Johnson and Julian Strathers seem to be SF, first one wins but I am
sure Johnson is on the top of the list.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16382 on: February 19, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
Is there any indication johnson has real interest at MU? I mean according to 247 Duke and uw are the front runners and jalen is "cool" on marquette. But who knows what that even means anyways

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16383 on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »
Is there any indication johnson has real interest at MU? I mean according to 247 Duke and uw are the front runners and jalen is "cool" on marquette. But who knows what that even means anyways

It's like he "cool with it." Or that's how I am choosing to read it.

I agree with BC: it is definitely going to be fun to see who the next commit is.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16384 on: February 19, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »

I have very, very little doubt MU sits in a better spot with Johnson than UW does.  But I think he'll end up at a blue blood, most likely Duke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16385 on: February 19, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »

Yes there is real interest. Will it result in a commit? Who knows? I certainly wouldn't bet the mortgage on it.

As for 247's "cool" ranking, all that means is when Jalen's profile was set up by a 247 intern, the intern looked at his offers and said "well he's from Madison so I'm going to put Wisconsin as warm. He's gotta lot of blue blood offers so I'm going to put them as warm. Everyone else is cool." 247 will only update those when they get something definitive like official visits or a recruits trims their list. Even then, its hit or miss on whether or not they update the page. IIRC, Marquette wasn't even listed on Strawther's page until weeks after his official visit.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16386 on: February 19, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »

247 and the Crystal Commode are fan centric only, put very small amount of stock in prognosticators. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #16387 on: February 19, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »

It was a completely different world back then with very little recruiting info readily available, but Kevin O'Neill used to let the Trib writers know at times who they were looking at or had in for a visit. That would end up in a blurb in the MU Trib, which was then forwarded to the recruits by the basketball program with an indication the school was excited about the possibility of the kid coming to MU. If nothing else, everyone likes to see their name in print.

In today's world, I agree it is far more likely Ben took the suggestion from PGsHeroes. Good on Ben and PGsHeroes.

Elevatorman

• Walk-On
« Reply #16388 on: February 19, 2019, 02:12:07 PM »
When it comes to Wisconsin Recruits, cool means they cooled on him. As in "Bo cooled on him."
If they are warm, it means Wisconsin is considering allowing the player to grace the halls of their majestic institution. When a player goes from warm to cool or the player chooses another school, it means academics were an issue.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16389 on: February 19, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »
When it comes to Wisconsin Recruits, cool means they cooled on him. As in "Bo cooled on him."
If they are warm, it means Wisconsin is considering allowing the player to grace the halls of their majestic institution. When a player goes from warm to cool or the player chooses another school, it means academics were an issue.

You win.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16390 on: February 19, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
It was a completely different world back then with very little recruiting info readily available, but Kevin O'Neill used to let the Trib writers know at times who they were looking at or had in for a visit. That would end up in a blurb in the MU Trib, which was then forwarded to the recruits by the basketball program with an indication the school was excited about the possibility of the kid coming to MU. If nothing else, everyone likes to see their name in print.

In today's world, I agree it is far more likely Ben took the suggestion from PGsHeroes. Good on Ben and PGsHeroes.

Or more likely the guy who tweeted Steele asking him about writing a Garcia article.  Tip of the cap, MuMark.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16391 on: February 19, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
Or more likely the guy who tweeted Steele asking him about writing a Garcia article.  Tip of the cap, MuMark.

Just doing my small part.........  8-)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:14:53 PM by MuMark »

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #16392 on: February 19, 2019, 03:10:25 PM »
Just my doing my small part.........  8-)
No one wants to know what you do in your personal time

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #16393 on: February 19, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »

Yes, my bad. That's what happens when trying to pass credit along while multi-tasking. New to the site... ;). Good work MuMark. Thanks for the correction, Lazar's Headband.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16394 on: February 19, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »

Duke remains the favorite, but if it came down to Wisconsin & Marquette, I would bet my house, pension, and firstborn on him playing home games in Milwaukee. No chance of him going to Wisconsin.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #16395 on: February 19, 2019, 06:44:12 PM »
Duke remains the favorite, but if it came down to Wisconsin & Marquette, I would bet my house, pension, and firstborn on him playing home games in Milwaukee. No chance of him going to Wisconsin.
That's risky. Who knows maybe he loves the UW lol

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #16396 on: February 19, 2019, 06:45:37 PM »

Curious brew, what makes you so sure?

Thanks

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16397 on: February 19, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
Never the pension!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #16398 on: February 19, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »

Elevatorman going right to the penthouse with this sweet post
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16399 on: February 20, 2019, 07:09:49 AM »
Curious brew, what makes you so sure?

Thanks

From a strictly recruiting stance, Wojo has put in a ton of work with Johnson & Phenom University. I'd still have the blue bloods as the favorites, but between building relationships, getting out to see Johnson & the PU guys, & getting them to Marquette regularly, the legwork has been done.

Honestly, though, it's more about Wisconsin. As long as they run that style, they will always be runners up for players like Tokoto, Looney, Stone, Herro, & Johnson. It's why two months before his commitment, Stone's family was calling Marquette to ask if they had an offer. It's why Herro's decommit was widely known 8 months before it happened.

As long as Wisconsin focuses on slow down pace & upperclassmen development as their tenets of success, they will be runners up in these recruiting battles. They might be on the final list, they might be in the final two, but any slim chance of winning those recruiting fights left with Bo.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.