[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 234955 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #625 on: September 28, 2018, 08:57:40 AM »
So, today's the day.  I'm hoping it will be a good match, and that Georgetown will continue to show that they are an improved team.  Last year Marquette swept the Hoyas both times they played.  Both were pretty brutal with Georgetown scoring a total of 45 points in the first meeting (-17; -12; -16), and an embarrassing 29 in the second (-12; -9; -18).  I'd certainly like them to break 50 this time.  The hitting numbers were equally dominant with MU hitting .411 and .372 in the matches, and GU hitting .202 and .029.  That's not a typo...0.029!

As I've said, I think MU wins this one.  But who knows...maybe MU will have an off night and GU will play their best match of the year.  GU's defense is much better than last year (in no small part because they don't have a setter playing DS this year  ;)), so I'd like to think that MU won't have such gaudy attack numbers -- maybe hold them under .300.  I think GU will be playing without one of their starting middles, but I'm not sure.  She was in a boot on Wednesday and didn't dress.  I haven't heard any updates since then (although she did travel).  Is Marquette healthy?

Anyone willing to give me 8 points per set?  For the record, I was asking for 12 points per set last season...obviously I'm much more confident in the Hoyas this year.  Must be the new setter.

Good luck!  The Al is a fun place for a match.  Are you attending?  Coming off getting swept, maybe MU can be had.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #626 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Good luck!  The Al is a fun place for a match.  Are you attending?  Coming off getting swept, maybe MU can be had.

Unfortunately, I'm not attending.  I had planned to attend with my middle daughter on a college visit road trip through Milwaukee and Chicago, but conflicts with her schedule prevented it.  We were really disappointed.  I'm hoping to make it to Butler/Xavier next weekend.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #627 on: September 29, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »
I'd certainly like them to break 50 this time...I'd like to think that MU won't have such gaudy attack numbers -- maybe hold them under .300.

So, GU scored 51 and “held” MU to .295. I guess I should hope for better numbers if GU is going to do pretty much exactly what I say.

All in all, it was pretty much what I expected. Marquette dominated. Georgetown is improved, but still not in Marquette’s league. Just a really tough matchup for the Hoyas. Oh well, at least I can resume rooting for the Warriors until we meet again.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #628 on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Marquette's libero is a stud. Feel like if they had one more solid attacking outlet they could really make some noise in the tournament this year.

Good setting, great defensively, just not a ton of firepower after Barber and Rosenthal.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »
At Hinkle Field House for tonight’s game between Georgetown and Butler. This is a really cool facility.

Go Hoyas!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #630 on: October 05, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
At Hinkle Field House for tonight’s game between Georgetown and Butler. This is a really cool facility.

Go Hoyas!

I have not seen it since the renovations but when I did go there (2002) I felt like I was walking into a time machine.  So cool to see the spot where Jimmy Chitwood hit the game-winner for Hickory. He said he'd make it!

Hinkle, the Palestra and Rose Hill should be on every basketball fan's bucket list (in addition to the obvious ones, Phog and Cameron).

Good luck to the Hoyas tonight!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #631 on: October 06, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »
OK, a totally different vibe, but the Cintas Center is also really nice.

Go Hoyas!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #632 on: October 07, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »

Go Hoyas!

Our very good friend used to be the VP of Student Affairs at Butler. He gave Glow Jr a personal college tour which included walking into an empty Hinkle Field House, just like the scene in Hoosiers. Very Cool.

Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #633 on: October 08, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
It's funny, Barber (#10) on video makes looks kinda slow and unathletic but I'm assuming she just hits over everyone cause she looks huge.

Just ran across this and it reminded me of what my daughter said about Barber: "the first time I went to block against her, I thought I must have forgotten to jump because she was so high above me."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
After the first pass through the conference* here is how things stand:

Creighton 8-0
Marquette 8-1
Georgetown 6-3
St. John’s 5-4
Villanova 4-5
Xavier 4-5
Butler 3-6
DePaul 3-6
Seton Hall 2-7
Providence 1-7

Should be an interesting second half as 5-6 teams fight for those No. 3 and 4 spots and a berth in the conference tournament.

*For travel purposes, Creighton and Providence (who are travel “partners”) scheduled both of their matches for the last weekend of the season in Omaha.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #635 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
Wades, you going to the Creighton game in two weeks? Haven't been up to MKE in ages and thought it would be a good time to go.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #636 on: October 15, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »
Wades, you going to the Creighton game in two weeks? Haven't been up to MKE in ages and thought it would be a good time to go.

I’d definitely consider it. Not sure if I have anything going on but if not I’d probably swing by. One of my friends just started working at MU and gets in free and a free guest so could see what he’s up to.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »
Big win for the ladies over a solid UNI team whose in the verge of being ranked.

I think if they knock off Creighton next week and avoid any slip ups, they have a very good shot of getting a seed for the tourney.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #638 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
Big win for the ladies over a solid UNI team whose in the verge of being ranked.

I think if they knock off Creighton next week and avoid any slip ups, they have a very good shot of getting a seed for the tourney.

Apparently a US Senator was at the match and tweeted about it multiple times.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #639 on: October 27, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »
Wadesworld I received an email from you but didn't see it until today.  I responded back.  I have a daughter at MU currently, not a son.  She is not connected to the volleyball program.
— Plato

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
Wadesworld I received an email from you but didn't see it until today.  I responded back.  I have a daughter at MU currently, not a son.  She is not connected to the volleyball program.

Umm...thanks for sharing...I guess.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:10:21 PM by StillAWarrior »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #641 on: October 31, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
Umm...thanks for sharing...I guess.

Probably weird, but here is why.  In the my messages section here it never indicates to me there is a message. I randomly clicked it the other day and there was a message from him about a month old.  I checked my regular email, and there was something there but missed it (way too much spam and other emails).  Out of courtesy, assuming others are also not seeing any identifier that they received a MUSCOOP message I mentioned it here in case he goes a month like I did before seeing it.   
— Plato

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »
It's going to be an interesting weekend in the Big East.  Heading into the last two matches, Georgetown, Villanova and Xavier are tied for fourth place at 8-8.  And, they're playing each other this weekend.

Georgetown - Xavier (Fri @ 5:00) and Butler (Sat @ 5:00)
Villanova - Butler (Fri @ 7:00) and Xavier (Sat @ 7:00)
Xavier - @georgetown (Fri @ 5:00) and @villanova (Sat @ 7:00)

Scenarios for how each team can earn the the final Big East tournament spot:

• Xavier - If Xavier wins both matches, they are alone in 4th place at 10-8. In that scenario, the best Georgetown and Villanova could do would be 9-9.  Xavier is in the Big East tournament with two victories.
  • Villanova - If Villanova wins both matches, they will be 10-8 and, at worst, tied with Georgetown for 4th place. Assuming the first tie-breaker is head-to-head sets, Villanova holds this tie-breaker with Georgetown by virtue of a 5-3 set record on the series split.  Villanova is in the Beast tournament with two victories.
  • Georgetown - If Georgetown wins both matches and Villanova loses a match, Georgetown will be alone in 4th with a 10-8 record.  Georgetown needs help.  Obviously, I'm rooting for the Hoyas both nights, and I'll be rooting hard for Butler Friday and Xavier Saturday.

Things get trickier if the teams split and the results will be determined by how they split.  If Georgetown beats Xavier, the Hoyas will own the tiebreaker with Xavier based upon the series sweep.  If Xavier beats Villanova, X will have the tiebreaker with V based on the sweep. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #643 on: November 24, 2018, 05:01:46 PM »
Marquette playing for the Big East Championship against Creighton at Creighton. MU won an epic first set 28-26. The score was never separated by more than 2 points. Second set, Creighton is taking MU behind the woodshed, up 20-12. Hoping the ladies can regroup because I don't think they're coming back in S2.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #644 on: November 24, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Marquette playing for the Big East Championship against Creighton at Creighton. MU won an epic first set 28-26. The score was never separated by more than 2 points. Second set, Creighton is taking MU behind the woodshed, up 20-12. Hoping the ladies can regroup because I don't think they're coming back in S2.

Nice.  Thanks for the updates.  Is this being streamed somewhere?

Creighton has seemed to have MU's number...would be a nice win.  Should be comfortably in the Tournament either way, but a win could bump their position I would think.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #645 on: November 24, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
It's live on FS2. Guessing they also have it on Fox Sports Go, but not 100% on that. MU rallied 7 straight points to get within 20-17 and then mostly exchanged points as Creighton held MU off for a 25-22 second set win. Tied up going to 3.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #646 on: November 24, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
It's live on FS2. Guessing they also have it on Fox Sports Go, but not 100% on that. MU rallied 7 straight points to get within 20-17 and then mostly exchanged points as Creighton held MU off for a 25-22 second set win. Tied up going to 3.

Awesome, thank you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #647 on: November 24, 2018, 05:43:01 PM »
Set 3 has been fantastic so far. MU jumped out to a 9-4 lead, Creighton went on an 11-2 run to lead 15-11, MU has since rallied to take a 19-18 lead. Two really well-matched teams.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #648 on: November 24, 2018, 05:44:47 PM »
MU reeeeeally needs a bigger, physical setter. Not even at the net, but they just really struggle with consistency in transition. MU’s libero is very good and their middle backs do a good job of digging balls defensively but they struggle pushing balls to the pin on high dug balls or anything not right on the net where they have time to get their feet set and wait on the ball. To me that’s the biggest missing piece. The L2 has really improved compared to where she was early in the season. She used to struggle to terminate but has found a little more pepper on the ball. Middles still very good blockers and when you get blocking like that any offense you can get out of them is gravy. L1 is a stud and RS is a nice crafty player.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #649 on: November 24, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
I'm well out of my depth, but what seems to be killing them are Creighton's front-line players on blocks. MU has tried repeatedly to put those spikes just over the net and Creighton repeatedly sends them right back into the floor. Feel like they either need to adjust their angles or try to attack deeper.

Creighton wins the third set 25-21, finishing on a 7-2 run after MU took the lead. Jays lead 2-1 going into the fourth set. Do or die time for MU.