[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235222 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #650 on: November 24, 2018, 05:50:48 PM »
I'm well out of my depth, but what seems to be killing them are Creighton's front-line players on blocks. MU has tried repeatedly to put those spikes just over the net and Creighton repeatedly sends them right back into the floor. Feel like they either need to adjust their angles or try to attack deeper.

Creighton wins the third set 25-21, finishing on a 7-2 run after MU took the lead. Jays lead 2-1 going into the fourth set. Do or die time for MU.

Yup. Part of the problem is the passing fell apart and left the setter with 1 option so Creighton could just sit and wait on that hitter. MU is not very good at using the block to get kills off of while Creighton has been.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #651 on: November 24, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
Missed the fourth set, but MU fell 25-21. Creighton wins their fifth straight Big East title. MU should still comfortably be in the tournament, though their odds of hosting the first two rounds probably took a hit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #652 on: November 25, 2018, 07:55:49 PM »
Holy cow! Marquette got a national seed!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #653 on: November 25, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
Not only are we Dancin’ but #muvb is HOSTING!!! Marquette earns a number 14 national seed and is seeded for the first time in program history!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #654 on: November 25, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
Wow. Very nice. I’m surprised they got a seed with 3 losses to Creighton.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #655 on: November 25, 2018, 08:10:32 PM »
Will the Al be ready?...

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #656 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »
Any idea when the games will be?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #657 on: November 25, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »

Doesn’t show on the bracket but if I remember correctly it should be similar to the men’s basketball tournament. Either Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday. I could be wrong on that though.

I already have tickets for the Final Four. MU might as well just make a run all the way there and I can follow along.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #658 on: November 25, 2018, 08:36:53 PM »
Creighton is Friday/Saturday. Probably similar.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #659 on: November 25, 2018, 08:39:54 PM »
Creighton is Friday/Saturday. Probably similar.

After I posted I actually thought I did remember games being back to back nights in the past. Kind of odd but saves money and the game is not as taxing on someone as a basketball or football game is.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #660 on: November 25, 2018, 08:58:17 PM »
Friday and Saturday

MU will host High Point University on Friday, Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. CT with Cincinnati and Illinois State facing each other at 4:30 p.m. CT at the Al McGuire Center in first round action. The winner of each contest will advance to the second round, which will take place on Saturday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m. CT.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:04:46 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #661 on: November 25, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
Wow. Very nice. I’m surprised they got a seed with 3 losses to Creighton.
Marquette plays an crazy tough non-conference schedule. BYU, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Illinois State & USC were terms at the Al who are in the big dance.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:13:44 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #662 on: November 25, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »
Wonderful news for the ladies.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #663 on: November 26, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
That's fantastic.  I think that they absolutely deserve it, but I had my doubts that the committee would give it to them.  The VB committee often is not very friendly to mid-majors (which MU definitely is in VB).  This year, however, they showed a lot of love.

Here's hoping Marquette (and Creighton) can make it through the first weekend.  Go Warriors!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #664 on: November 26, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Any word on when tickets go on sale?  And if the Al will even be ready by then?  (I assume the answer to the second question is yes, as it looked like there was more damage to the car than the floor)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2018, 08:26:10 PM »
MU takes out High Point 3-0. Different atmosphere at the Al with the MU Dance Team in attendance. High Point brings their pep band and cheerleaders. Solid crowd at the Al.

Marquette will play Cincinnati on Saturday night at 7pm. Winner to the Sweet 16!

Tickets are $7
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #666 on: December 01, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
MU sweeps Cincinnati. Sweet 16!
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #667 on: December 01, 2018, 11:13:32 PM »

Was there. I don't know the first thing about volleyball but it was a lot of fun. Felt like complete domination from the word go.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #668 on: December 02, 2018, 11:51:14 AM »

That's a great achievement for Marquette.  Now, on to the second weekend.  It sure would be an awful lot of fun if they could knock off Illinois, and then beat the Badgers in both Volleyball and Basketball next Saturday.

Go Warriors!

Sponge Ruiner!

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #669 on: December 05, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
I have the day off from work Friday and I'm thinking about heading down to Champaign for the match. Anyone interested in carpooling?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #670 on: December 05, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »
I have the day off from work Friday and I'm thinking about heading down to Champaign for the match. Anyone interested in carpooling?

Unless you're willing to drive a good 6-8 hours out of your way (each way), I'm not a very good candidate.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #671 on: December 05, 2018, 03:22:41 PM »

Wish I could, but more importantly mad respect to your handle. RIP Mitch, the funniest person to ever walk the planet. At a game earlier this year the escalator stopped and both my sons (14 and 12) turned to me, smiled, and said sorry for the convenience. Proud dad moment. Cheers!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #672 on: December 06, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #673 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
Women's team lost in 3 sets tonight.  Great season.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #674 on: December 08, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
Congrats to the women on a great season, and good luck to seniors Anna Haak, Abby Julian, and Jenna Rosenthal!
Relationes Incrementum Victoria