[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235862 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 06, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
In the unlikely event that anyone cares...

Another minor tweak to the Big East recruits.  It appears that Georgetown "creaned" a recruit.  I had heard about the new recruit this past weekend, but it wasn't announced until today (and PrepVP still has her listed at tOSU where she decommitted).  I'd heard a while ago that the other might not be coming, but only saw today that she had been removed from the list (and PrepVB still has her as a GU commit). 

Here are the revised tallies for the Big East as of 9/6/18:

Georgetown (3) (No. 33; 1 in "the 150"; 1 "just missed")
Villanova (2) (both in "the 150")
Creighton (2) (1 in "the 150"; one "just missed")
Xavier (2) (1 in "the 150"; one "just missed")
Marquette (1) (1 in "the 150")
DePaul (1) (1 "just missed")

Here's a description of Marquette's recruit:  Hannah Vanden Berg, 5-11 OH, Little Chute (Wisconsin), FC Elite – Marquette
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #601 on: September 06, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »
StillAWarriors is the BigDaddy of Big East volleyball 😂

I appreciate the updates though, must be pretty handy to be in the inner circle of a D1 sports program.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #602 on: September 06, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
StillAWarriors is the BigDaddy of Big East volleyball 😂

I appreciate the updates though, must be pretty handy to be in the inner circle of a D1 sports program.
LOL...I'm no BigDaddy.

And, unfortunately I don't have nearly as much info about Marquette (or the rest of the conference) as I do about the Hoyas.  But, I do have access to a couple subscription-based sites so I can bring a little something to the table here.  Surprisingly enough, GU has a message board for VB, but it's really, really nasty lately.  I never posted much because I don't want to out myself, but I've stopped lately.  And, it's given me a new appreciation of the importance of remembering that we're posting about somebody's kids on these boards.  I've always tried to keep that in mind, but I'll be even more careful about it in the future.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #603 on: September 07, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
Great win by Marquette tonight. Knocked off #10 USC 3-2. Next up, #3 BYU. Should be a great test.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #604 on: September 07, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
Great win by Marquette tonight. Knocked off #10 USC 3-2. Next up, #3 BYU. Should be a great test.

Damn, missed it. Was it streamed anywhere?

Edit: Found a link if anyone wants to watch the replay. If you actually enjoy and know the game of volleyball, I'd recommend muting the commentary.

https://gomarquette.com/watch/?Archive=1574&type=Archive
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 10:16:34 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #605 on: September 08, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »

Went to the match.  Marv Dunphy's daughter played at USC and is now an assistant there and saved me $5 by putting me on the USC guest pass.

MU is pretty legit.  Libero is awesome on hard driven balls defensively.  Both setters play great defense and have awesome hands, but the smaller one is a bit weak and struggles to push the ball to the outside when she has to run down a pass.  #10 is a monster.  Just over the top of everything.  Very interested to see how she plays when matched up with the gigantic middle for UW next weekend.  Alex showed me their stat sheet after the match, she hit like .475 on 55 attempts.  Absurd.  And she only plays front row (which for a girl her size probably works better as she can stay fresh throughout a full match).  The less ginger middle is awesome blocking.  Not a huge offensive threat but they did throw a couple 2 balls to her that she tanked on, but she gets pin to pin and strong with the block very well.  Right side is very crafty and uses high hands well.  Other OH is just okay.

Expected USC to be much better, middles were leaving huge holes in the blocks, even when the entire arena knew the ball was going to the OH.  Libero struggled early but played strong down the stretch.

MU really should've closed it out in 4.  They were the better team, but USC (at least seemed to) made a lot fewer errors.

I would guess BYU will smoke MU tomorrow.  They are friggin hot right now.  Beat #1 Stanford earlier in the week and steamrolled USC this morning.  But a split and then a win over Syracuse would make for a very nice weekend.

Alex was very complimentary of MU and loved the arena.  Said it was a really fun place to play in, gets very loud even though it wasn't packed, and was very surprised when I told her MU volleyball was awful when I was in school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #606 on: September 08, 2018, 12:59:53 AM »
It's funny, Barber (#10) on video makes looks kinda slow and unathletic but I'm assuming she just hits over everyone cause she looks huge.

Anyone know what kind of rotation was MU running? Looked really funky running a 6-2 with the setters coming in for the outside hitters if I'm not mistaken. Could not figure out what they were doing for the life of me.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #607 on: September 09, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
2-1 a really solid weekend. If they don't screw up set 2 agains BYU...Well, anything can happen in a fifth set.

All in all great weekend for the ladies cementing themselves in the top-25. Bring on Bucky.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #608 on: September 10, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
I watched the match against BYU, and was impressed.  It's a shame they couldn't hold on in the second set.  I'd have liked to see how it would have played out if they would have taken a 2-0 lead.

Every time they mentioned Konovodoff's name (which was often -- she was great), I had to try to restrain myself from singing, "Do doo be-do-do."  Some watching with me would probably contend that I didn't do a very good job restraining myself.

*I tried to embed the video...really I did.  Apparently, I just couldn't get it right.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #609 on: September 12, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »
The match vs. Wisconsin on Friday night is sold out.

I was going to go but they're not available on Stubhub.  Anyone looking to sell 2 tickets?  Or know of where to find 2 tickets?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #610 on: September 12, 2018, 11:24:25 PM »
The match vs. Wisconsin on Friday night is sold out.

I was going to go but they're not available on Stubhub.  Anyone looking to sell 2 tickets?  Or know of where to find 2 tickets?

Call the athletic department and ask to put you on a waitlist. Usually the opposing team never use their full allotment of tickets.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #611 on: September 13, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
Call the athletic department and ask to put you on a waitlist. Usually the opposing team never use their full allotment of tickets.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I shot them an email and they responded that there are no tickets available, there will be no tickets coming back to them from UW's allotment, and there is no secondary market for tickets.

Apparently a donor to MU bought out the entire lower bowl in order to give out tickets to only Marquette fans so that UW fans cannot get into the lower bowl.  Kind of nice to give MU that kind of home court advantage, but also really lame to take away the opportunity for more casual fans to see what should be a high level match, something that could turn a casual fan into something more than casual.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #612 on: September 13, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  I shot them an email and they responded that there are no tickets available, there will be no tickets coming back to them from UW's allotment, and there is no secondary market for tickets.

Apparently a donor to MU bought out the entire lower bowl in order to give out tickets to only Marquette fans so that UW fans cannot get into the lower bowl.  Kind of nice to give MU that kind of home court advantage, but also really lame to take away the opportunity for more casual fans to see what should be a high level match, something that could turn a casual fan into something more than casual.
The donor just bought 600 tickets in the lower bowl.

The casual fan was needed versus #10 USC and #3 BYU last weekend. Plus, Creighton will be a huge match-up later this year.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #613 on: September 13, 2018, 10:55:08 AM »

Do you still live in the area?  If so, if it were me, I'd drive over and take my chances.  After all, you're a Marquette fan, and that's who the donor wants in the lower bowl.  But I'd totally understand if you didn't want to drive a long way if there is no guarantee you'll get in.

Also, check your messages.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #614 on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:47 AM »
The donor just bought 600 tickets in the lower bowl.

The casual fan was needed versus #10 USC and #3 BYU last weekend. Plus, Creighton will be a huge match-up later this year.

Got it.  Any idea who this donor is and how they determined who would get the tickets they bought?

Do you still live in the area?  If so, if it were me, I'd drive over and take my chances.  After all, you're a Marquette fan, and that's who the donor wants in the lower bowl.  But I'd totally understand if you didn't want to drive a long way if there is no guarantee you'll get in.

Also, check your messages.

Yes that's what I'm thinking about doing, but I have to see if the person I'm going with would be interested in doing that as well first.  I just have my doubts that anybody is going to be scalping tickets to a volleyball match.  Not a market typically for those, so my feeling is that people who have tickets for the match tomorrow are people who really want to be in there seeing the match.

But as long as the person I was planning on going with is up for it it's worth a shot, and if it doesn't work out can always go watch the Brewers game somewhere nearby.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #615 on: September 13, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
I just have my doubts that anybody is going to be scalping tickets to a volleyball match.  Not a market typically for those, so my feeling is that people who have tickets for the match tomorrow are people who really want to be in there seeing the match.

That's true, but it's also unclear how the mysterious donor will be distributing the tickets.  He or she might just be standing in front of the Al handing out tickets to people wearing MU gear.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #616 on: September 13, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
Got it.  Any idea who this donor is and how they determined who would get the tickets they bought?

It's a poster on Brew City Ball and Dodds site. He put out a message and posters IM their address to him. I believe he is a older man, who goes to all the hoops and volleyball games with his wife.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:16:54 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #617 on: September 13, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
That's true, but it's also unclear how the mysterious donor will be distributing the tickets.  He or she might just be standing in front of the Al handing out tickets to people wearing MU gear.

Yeah, definitely worth a shot whether it's tickets being handed out or even scalped.

It's a poster on Brew City Ball and Dodds site. He put out a message and posters IM their address to him. I believe he is a older man, who goes to all the hoops and volleyball games with his wife.

Got it.  Thank you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #618 on: September 13, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »
Does anybody know what the deal is with the 247 site?  I had an account when it was Scout or whatever it was and had no issues.  Now I'm trying to post about the volleyball match and it says that my post is submitted for review and does not show up on the forum.  Do the administrators have to review every single post that is submitted before they get posted on that forum?  Or is there some kind of further sign up that I need to do before I can post on there?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #619 on: September 14, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »
Ended up getting tickets.  Hoping we can pull off the upset.  Unfortunately based only on the one match that I saw them play against USC I think Marquette will struggle quite a bit with Wisconsin and teams like Wisconsin.  If they play smaller but really solid teams they can be more physical and compete in that way.  I think Wisconsin has the size to make it really tough on Marquette.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #620 on: September 15, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
How was the environment?  I see MU got smoked 3-0 by the more elite Badgers.

Let's throw this one out there.  The NBE has been good for basketball, but it appears our Olympic sports are more mid-major.  The soccer programs look to have fallen off.  Also, a number of teams look good enough to get into the NCAAs and then quickly exit, same as hoops.  Maybe the problem is more of these sports are dominated at the top by a few, top funded schools and it will take a while for parity to break-through.

Lacrosse has a chance. But, what will it take ($$) to break-through?  The walk-back on the Performance Center certainly didn't help but it's more than that as MU has invested in these sports and a few do well but not elite like a ND.  Is it all about the lack of football money?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #621 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
I was surprised to see Marquette got swept by Creighton yesterday.  I've been picking Marquette to win the conference, and yesterday was supposed to be the first step toward that.  Oh well, we'll get them next time.

And, in an unusual start to the season, when the Hoyas come to the Al on Friday night, they'll be ahead of Marquette in the standings.  I can't even venture a guess on the last time that was the case.  Hopefully Georgetown will be at 3-0, but even in the worst case scenario they'll be 2-1.  This is the first time that Georgetown has started the conference season 2-0 since 2001.  And rest assured, the game this weekend will be only the third time ever that I've rooted against Marquette!  I'd just like Georgetown to be semi competitive -- Marquette was a really difficult match-up for them last year.  I have no illusions that Georgetown will actually win the match.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #622 on: September 24, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
How was the environment?  I see MU got smoked 3-0 by the more elite Badgers.

Let's throw this one out there.  The NBE has been good for basketball, but it appears our Olympic sports are more mid-major.  The soccer programs look to have fallen off.  Also, a number of teams look good enough to get into the NCAAs and then quickly exit, same as hoops.  Maybe the problem is more of these sports are dominated at the top by a few, top funded schools and it will take a while for parity to break-through.

Lacrosse has a chance. But, what will it take ($$) to break-through?  The walk-back on the Performance Center certainly didn't help but it's more than that as MU has invested in these sports and a few do well but not elite like a ND.  Is it all about the lack of football money?

Sorry, I kind of missed this.  The atmosphere was fun...in the first set.  The donor that bought out the lower level definitely did a good job.  Other than UW's ticket allotment right behind one of the benches, there were no Badger fans down there.  Upper sections were 75%+ Badger fans.  I was with a Badger fan and in an upper section and there were about 3 MU fans within 10 rows of me, otherwise all Badger fans.

First set Marquette was up 23-21 (maybe even 20) and lost 23-25.  After that the wind was taken completely out of their sails.  I believe the went down 1-8 to start the second set and were never competitive in the match again.  I feared a sweep because MU seemed to be really good when they could out-physical a team like USC, but UW is very big as well, and definitely a more complete team.

I was surprised to see Marquette got swept by Creighton yesterday.  I've been picking Marquette to win the conference, and yesterday was supposed to be the first step toward that.  Oh well, we'll get them next time.

And, in an unusual start to the season, when the Hoyas come to the Al on Friday night, they'll be ahead of Marquette in the standings.  I can't even venture a guess on the last time that was the case.  Hopefully Georgetown will be at 3-0, but even in the worst case scenario they'll be 2-1.  This is the first time that Georgetown has started the conference season 2-0 since 2001.  And rest assured, the game this weekend will be only the third time ever that I've rooted against Marquette!  I'd just like Georgetown to be semi competitive -- Marquette was a really difficult match-up for them last year.  I have no illusions that Georgetown will actually win the match.

Any idea of the roster makeup of Creighton?  Are they a big team?  I've only seen MU play twice, but my guess is that they will struggle all year long with teams that  can match them in physicality and will beat a lot of teams that might be skilled but small.

Must be the setter at Georgetown...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #623 on: September 24, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
Any idea of the roster makeup of Creighton?  Are they a big team?  I've only seen MU play twice, but my guess is that they will struggle all year long with teams that  can match them in physicality and will beat a lot of teams that might be skilled but small.

I haven't seen them too much this year.  They're biggest girls aren't as big as Marquette's, but they have a lot of tall girls.  Marquette is bigger/stronger at MB than Creighton.  I know that my daughter felt that Marquette was the toughest match-up for them last year.  They're big and strong and overpowered Georgetown.  Last year, Georgetown really ran a lot of its offense through the middle -- that got nowhere with Marquette who killed the Hoyas both times. Creighton is pretty skilled, but not as overpowering physically in the middle as Marquette.

Must be the setter at Georgetown...

It's a combination of factors.  That may or may not be one of them.  I guess it depends who you ask. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #624 on: September 28, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »
So, today's the day.  I'm hoping it will be a good match, and that Georgetown will continue to show that they are an improved team.  Last year Marquette swept the Hoyas both times they played.  Both were pretty brutal with Georgetown scoring a total of 45 points in the first meeting (-17; -12; -16), and an embarrassing 29 in the second (-12; -9; -18).  I'd certainly like them to break 50 this time.  The hitting numbers were equally dominant with MU hitting .411 and .372 in the matches, and GU hitting .202 and .029.  That's not a typo...0.029!

As I've said, I think MU wins this one.  But who knows...maybe MU will have an off night and GU will play their best match of the year.  GU's defense is much better than last year (in no small part because they don't have a setter playing DS this year  ;)), so I'd like to think that MU won't have such gaudy attack numbers -- maybe hold them under .300.  I think GU will be playing without one of their starting middles, but I'm not sure.  She was in a boot on Wednesday and didn't dress.  I haven't heard any updates since then (although she did travel).  Is Marquette healthy?

Anyone willing to give me 8 points per set?  For the record, I was asking for 12 points per set last season...obviously I'm much more confident in the Hoyas this year.  Must be the new setter.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:41:47 AM by StillAWarrior »