[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8663065 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/22
« Reply #33275 on: January 06, 2023, 05:25:33 PM »
Juan

I do not think that Oso would fill the same role that Looney fills for the Warriors. IMO, Oso would need to highlight his skillset, which does not resemble Looney to me, which neither a good nor bad thing. As I said, I was too lazy to read all the posts on your analogy and only jumped in because I do not see any similarity. If Oso makes the NBA it will be because of basketball IQ, passing and ballhandling, IMO.

I see nothing wrong with comparing players to past players, if they are truly similar type players. My only issue is that I do not think many comparisons are usually correct. That said, there are intangibles that also come into play, such as toughness, jumping ability or demeanor that also factor in. I have noted several times that I believe Joplin has similarities to Dwayne Johnson when he is around the hoop. My comparison is based off of they both can create a shot, similar body type, limited jumping ability and loves to score. I at least think that comp is based off of a number of similar qualities, not just they are both 6-7 and like to score.
spot on Goose. In fact, I see some Dwayne Johnson in Jop’s game from inside 15’, maybe even a little OLee every now & then too. (btw, Sean Jones gets a haymaker jam, the next Artie Green hey)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33276 on: January 06, 2023, 06:48:16 PM »
Meanwhile how are our committed recruits playing and who are our best targets?

Tre and Zaide are playing well. I consistently see them listed as standouts whenever recruiting services watch their schools.

Not seeing any news about Al, other than what was reported by Marquette Wire.

2024 Targets

Just a hunch, but I feel best about landing Bryce Dortch.  I imagine Shaka is using Oso as a sales pitch for how Dortch would be developed and used at MU.

Providence board thinks they're in the driver's seat for Mulready.  I still think MU is a factor since he's good friends with Tre.  UConn and Maryland also in his top 4.

Marquette and Wisconsin are both going hard after Knueppel.  Notre Dame also looks like a key competitor, perhaps even the early leader.

Isaiah Abraham (son of Faisal) looks like he will visit MU after his season ends. Not sure what other schools are hardest after him.

Royce Parham is the other name I've seen MU linked with. Those 5 seem to be the early priorities.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33277 on: January 06, 2023, 06:55:01 PM »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #33278 on: January 06, 2023, 09:01:27 PM »
Tre and Zaide are playing well. I consistently see them listed as standouts whenever recruiting services watch their schools.

Not seeing any news about Al, other than what was reported by Marquette Wire.

2024 Targets

Just a hunch, but I feel best about landing Bryce Dortch.  I imagine Shaka is using Oso as a sales pitch for how Dortch would be developed and used at MU.

Providence board thinks they're in the driver's seat for Mulready.  I still think MU is a factor since he's good friends with Tre.  UConn and Maryland also in his top 4.

Marquette and Wisconsin are both going hard after Knueppel.  Notre Dame also looks like a key competitor, perhaps even the early leader.

Isaiah Abraham (son of Faisal) looks like he will visit MU after his season ends. Not sure what other schools are hardest after him.

Royce Parham is the other name I've seen MU linked with. Those 5 seem to be the early priorities.

I think the staff has basically narrowed the 2024 universe down to Mulready and either Abraham or Dortch. While they’re still keeping an iron in the fire on Knueppel, I’ve heard he’s a UVA lean, and if it’s not there then my hunch it’s ND or UW.

If they miss out on all of the above, I suspect  Shaka will just hold the schollies for portalers.  I’m a little nervous about Mulready trimming his list right after getting his UConn offer, but it still basically comes down to whether he wants to play with Tre or not.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #33279 on: January 06, 2023, 10:17:39 PM »
Interesting, that is not what I have heard.  Definitely do not write off Kon yet.  Im not too worried about UVA and definitely not worried about ND.  Shaka is working this one.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:24:28 PM by JTJ3 »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33280 on: January 06, 2023, 11:58:05 PM »
Kon’s reported top 4….UVA ND UW MU.

maybe uva lean…but if not…ND and UW right there. Not so fast….i wouldn’t be surprised if Shaka and MU sneak in there!

Love it. Mulready is a close to a HS kid playing with MU socks as there has been since JA.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #33281 on: January 07, 2023, 08:32:42 AM »

maybe uva lean…but if not…ND and UW right there. Not so fast….i wouldn’t be surprised if Shaka and MU sneak in there!

Love it. Mulready is a close to a HS kid playing with MU socks as there has been since JA.

I hope you’re right. My read looking at his list  is just that one of these things is not like the other and it’s the hometown team.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

panda

• All American
« Reply #33282 on: January 07, 2023, 08:45:29 AM »

I’ve loved this kids game for a long time. He’s going to be a big time college player after his career is said and done.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33283 on: January 07, 2023, 08:52:09 AM »
I am going to let team success and style of play settled in before I get too up or down over a certain recruit. If the Kon's final four is accurate, one program is vastly different than the other three. If he wants to play slow ball or boring basketball, he has three programs to choose from and if he wants to have offensive freedom he can come to Marquette.

I believe that Shaka/MU is close to really having a national identity and that will carry over to recruiting. One other thing that could be interesting is past targets hitting the portal. Shaka has said he does not want one year transfers as a rule, but I think getting 2-3 year guys that were past targets could definitely be in play. It looks like Shaka has a good relationship with a lot of guys we have played against this year.  I am going to keep my eye on past targets moving forward.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33284 on: January 07, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
Shaka has said he does not want one year transfers as a rule

Although I don't blame Shaka (or any coach) for preferring transfers who will be around for multiple years, I hope he's willing to amend that "rule" on a case-by-case basis.

I mean, we don't get to the FF 20 years ago without Robert Jackson, so I'm sure glad Crean didn't have that rule. We don't win squat last season without Morsell and Kuath, so I'm glad Shaka's rule was not yet in place.

If we have a fine team with one specific need, and if a 1-year transfer (whole style fits the system) wants to join our crew to fill that need, it would be pretty ridiculous to not bring him in because of some "rule."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #33285 on: January 07, 2023, 09:02:27 AM »
I am going to let team success and style of play settled in before I get too up or down over a certain recruit. If the Kon's final four is accurate, one program is vastly different than the other three. If he wants to play slow ball or boring basketball, he has three programs to choose from and if he wants to have offensive freedom he can come to Marquette.

I believe that Shaka/MU is close to really having a national identity and that will carry over to recruiting. One other thing that could be interesting is past targets hitting the portal. Shaka has said he does not want one year transfers as a rule, but I think getting 2-3 year guys that were past targets could definitely be in play. It looks like Shaka has a good relationship with a lot of guys we have played against this year.  I am going to keep my eye on past targets moving forward.

Love the way you describe the choices. I live about an hour from UVA and have never gone to one of their games. That tells you all you need to know about my opinion of slow ball. But give Bennet his due-he has a natty in his pocket.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33286 on: January 07, 2023, 09:03:58 AM »

Green weenie, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33287 on: January 07, 2023, 09:15:32 AM »

I would have to think that Shaka will adjust to whatever is needed and having one year guy I hope is on the table. Time will tell. I guess with NAIA guy he took a one year guy.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #33288 on: January 07, 2023, 09:31:33 AM »
Interesting comment as Shaka has brought in at least one, one year player each of his first two seasons coaching MU.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33289 on: January 07, 2023, 09:40:02 AM »
Ruby

Last year he had to it. I think his comments are more geared that he will not build a team with four one year guys. Providence has four transfers starting and MU has zero, two different approaches and we will see which one works best in a couple of months.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #33290 on: January 07, 2023, 09:51:40 AM »
If Sekou Konneh keeps playing well at St. Thomas More, and maybe MU miss on one wing, I would not be shocked to see MU be all over him. With a little footspeed and balance work he could play the 4 at marquette come his sophomore year of college.

(all of this is theoretical, because MU, like last year, did a good job revaluating guys at the end of the season.)

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33291 on: January 07, 2023, 03:17:26 PM »
If Sekou Konneh keeps playing well at St. Thomas More, and maybe MU miss on one wing, I would not be shocked to see MU be all over him. With a little footspeed and balance work he could play the 4 at marquette come his sophomore year of college.

I was impressed with his athletism, he needs to grow into his body a little, but already shows more offensive ability then Oso, not a passer like him, but can shoot a little.  3 years from now he should be pretty good.

(all of this is theoretical, because MU, like last year, did a good job revaluating guys at the end of the season.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33292 on: January 07, 2023, 04:36:44 PM »

I would have to think that Shaka will adjust to whatever is needed and having one year guy I hope is on the table. Time will tell. I guess with NAIA guy he took a one year guy.

Good point about Wrightsil. If Shaka has a "rule," he broke it.

But I have little doubt he has a strong preference for guys who will be at Marquette for multiple seasons. So far, I really like the way he's recruiting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #33293 on: January 07, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »

Seeing how all 2024 recruits won’t contribute for a minimum of 2 years anyways. Yea. That’s normal.

MuMark

• All American

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #33296 on: January 08, 2023, 03:18:42 PM »
Forget about Mulready

https://twitter.com/adamfinkelstein/status/1612192438193471489?s=61&t=0C9zj_U5mG963HaNVI-FhA

Top 2, unfortunately #2. More fish in the see. Plenty of forwards and wings still.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #33297 on: January 08, 2023, 03:27:47 PM »
Dangit! Providence pulls-out  another close win over MU.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33298 on: January 08, 2023, 03:37:47 PM »
Dangit! Providence pulls-out  another close win over MU.

5DollarPitcher blames the refs for this one too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33299 on: January 08, 2023, 03:56:13 PM »
Need some wings so glad he made a decision early to give Shaka time to spend on those type of players