[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86680 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2023, 03:04:15 PM »
O-Max was a great contributing member of the team.
Appreciate the winning tip in at the buzzer.
If trying to get drafted, don't do it lukewarm.
Has anyone on Marquette that declared every returned to the team?
If not, I wouldn't expect a change of the trend.
If they declare, they don't want to play college BB.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2023, 03:11:45 PM »
Guys,  omax was always going to declare. He's maintaining his eligibility. Obviously his preference is to get drafted (anyone's would be). If he gets feedback that he's not getting drafted,  he'll come back.  If he's getting feedback that it's possible he will,  he'll stay in the Draft. There's no secret message about whether he's already decided or not
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2023, 03:15:31 PM »
IF OMax stays in the draft, it does open the door for one or more of our current portal guys (Ellis, Wrightsil, Keeyan) to come back.  Ellis is probably the most likely as he could help fill the wing role, but Wrightsil could provide front court depth that is desperately needed now.  Keeyan seems unlikely to return to sit behind Oso and Gold.

No offense to any of them, but despite working with the program for some time I feel like Shaka could find a better Omax replacement.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »
I wish OMax all the best in his future. I would also suggest OMax not get to excited for what comes next. Realistically 1st or 2nd round is very unlikely. 
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2023, 03:38:35 PM »
I really liked OMax's quirky game. Hate to see him leave. Did he have enough credits to graduate?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
Guys,  omax was always going to declare. He's maintaining his eligibility. Obviously his preference is to get drafted (anyone's would be). If he gets feedback that he's not getting drafted,  he'll come back.  If he's getting feedback that it's possible he will,  he'll stay in the Draft. There's no secret message about whether he's already decided or not

This makes sense, but I'd be interested to know how you can state this with such certainty. O-Max's statement seemed like a final farewell, with absolutely no mention of "testing the waters" or getting "evaluated" or whatnot.

We've had several players do this but not return, including Lewis just last season -- unless some NBA people lied right to his face. Vander, too, of course; I seriously doubt a single NBA exec or scout told him he'd be drafted.

TAMU, I'm not doubting that what you say (and brew and others say) could be true. I have absolutely no idea. It's just that the evidence we all see would seem to lean the other way.

As for the situation:

++ Offensively, O-Max was an up-and-down performer who had few great offensive moments in big games last season, but defensively he usually was a stud and that will not be easy to replace. He was a surprisingly poor rebounder, though, and I had to cover my eyes every time he started spinning and flailing in the lane.

++ I respectfully disagree with GE03, who keeps saying O-Max was our most important player. Kolek and Oso were miles ahead of him because we had absolutely nobody who could come close to doing what either did offensively; Kolek, in particular, was elite. Hopefully, they aren't going anywhere.

++ The combination of Joplin, Gold and Ross probably can replace O-Max's offense (and likely even improve on it), but the first two aren't nearly athletic enough and Ross isn't bulky enough to replace what O-Max did on defense. So ...

++ I agree with Goose and some others that if we're really gonna contend for the Final Four next season -- and if Shaka already has knowledge that O-Max is likely gone -- Shaka needs to bring in a 3/4 from the portal. And not just a guy to fill the spot numerically but a player with the potential to replace the best of O-Max. We have a unique window of opportunity, with an All-American PG, a talented 5 and a shot-making guard. Need another stud to reach our potential.

++ I'd be stunned if Shaka is unaware of O-Max's actual plans. If he adds one of the better remaining forwards in the portal, a guy expecting to play big minutes for a top-10 team, it will tell us that O-Max is highly unlikely to return. If Shaka doesn't add anybody who can bring things O-Max did, it could be a sign that O-Max might return. I say could be a sign because Shaka might not be able to match another program's available NIL money (or might choose not to).

++ The potential for this scenario is why I didn't set specific expectations for next season yet. We don't know our team yet; how can anyone have specific expectations? Generally, I still expect us to be very good if the rest of the team returns.

++ As is so often the case with these prospects, O-Max not being "ready" or probably not getting drafted is beside the point. We have this discussion over and over again on Scoop -- a poster mentions that so-and-so might want to test the waters, and the knee-jerk response is, "I doubt it; he's not ready." Being ready no matta. There are all kinds of reasons players leave school even if there's a good chance they won't get drafted or even have a cup of NBA coffee. You or I might say the reasons were "bad," but they're not our reasons to have.

++ If O-Max goes, I wish him great fortune. Say what you will about his game, love it or hate it or both at the same time, the guy always gave supreme effort on the court. He was a big reason why last season was so much fun to watch. He played a major role in giving MU fans so many great memories.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2023, 03:48:12 PM »
Since Shaka does not want an NIL bidding war to get a player, the sleeper route appears to be the only option.

NIL bidding to recruit a player is not permissible for anyone.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2023, 03:52:20 PM »
They are different players, but just like
J. Lewis, he will not get drafted.  No way. 

I hope he does well, but fear he will just be another in the long list of guys that never see the NBA in any real sense …

Lewis
Vander … etc etc

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2023, 03:53:18 PM »
O-Max was a great contributing member of the team.
Appreciate the winning tip in at the buzzer.
If trying to get drafted, don't do it lukewarm.
If not, I wouldn't expect a change of the trend.
If they declare, they don't want to play college BB.

Dominic James declared after his sophomore season and returned.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2023, 03:55:57 PM »
They are different players, but just like
J. Lewis, he will not get drafted.  No way. 

I hope he does well, but fear he will just be another in the long list of guys that never see the NBA in any real sense …

Lewis
Vander … etc etc

I'd be very surprised if Justin isn't on the Bulls roster next season.
He's one of only 10 players they have under contract for 2023-24, and they have no draft picks this year.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:02:21 PM by Pakuni »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2023, 03:56:49 PM »
Is there any downside to maintaining eligiblity? Seems like it would give him a good escape hatch in the event he doesn’t peform well in the process or picks up a medium-term injury.

Not huge, but there are limitations. No one other than an NCAA cert’d agent can market him to teams… can’t take benefits from anyone other than ncaa c agent. No tryouts / visits over 48 hours that are financed by the team.. can’t miss class for a tryout..

Combine isn’t til mid May. Withdrawal deadline for ncaa elig May 31. Long road ahead

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2023, 04:10:10 PM »

Dominic James declared (without hiring an agent) and then came back to the team in 2007.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2023, 04:10:36 PM »
Not huge, but there are limitations. No one other than an NCAA cert’d agent can market him to teams… can’t take benefits from anyone other than ncaa c agent. No tryouts / visits over 48 hours that are financed by the team.. can’t miss class for a tryout..

Combine isn’t til mid May. Withdrawal deadline for ncaa elig May 31. Long road ahead
Yep, the waiting game begins.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2023, 04:22:38 PM »
More time for Gold & Joplin makes me happy.
Not sure if Markus actually declared, but when he said he was coming back the Hausers left.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2023, 04:28:00 PM »
Not sure if Markus actually declared, but when he said he was coming back the Hausers left.

No. Markus said on this date 4 years ago there was unfinished business and he as my going to mess w the nba stuff.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2023, 04:29:00 PM »
O-Max's statement seemed like a final farewell, with absolutely no mention of "testing the waters" or getting "evaluated" or whatnot.

Happens all the time and players return.

Hell last week Da'Sean Nelson posted a goodbye to DePaul and today he posted he's coming back.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2023, 04:30:06 PM »

This.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2023, 04:39:12 PM »
His Twitter statement sounds a lot like a final thank you and good bye.

It sure does.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2023, 04:54:25 PM »

I agree that he was always going to declare.  I don't necessarily agree that advice from those giving feedback is anywhere close to accurate. Otherwise Justin got some pretty garbage advice. Cost himself a large amount of money going undrafted.
VIOLENCE!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2023, 05:06:30 PM »
Happens all the time and players return.

Hell last week Da'Sean Nelson posted a goodbye to DePaul and today he posted he's coming back.

Nelson said he was going to “explore” and “test his options”. OMax’s note was missing that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2023, 05:19:52 PM »
warrior11

I would move on from the three that left and replace Omax with a proven portal guy. They are highly ranked and filling one piece via the portal should be relatively easy. I have no problem if Shaka finds a sleeper as long as they have a lot of playing time experience.

Don't believe the portal is as easy as you allude to. I have faith in Shaka and his work is cut out for him. Hopefully nobody else leaves.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »
A second, closer review of OMax’s post reads more neutral to me. He basically says:

“First of all I’d like to thank [everyone]. With that said, I am proud to announce that I will be declaring for the 2023 NBA draft. Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine and I’m excited for what comes next.”

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2023, 05:27:10 PM »
So if he gets feedback that he might get drafted he will stay in the draft?

That’s pretty iffy…….

I can certainly understand if they tell him he will get drafted then he’s gone……but guarantees are funny things……I think I’ve heard of other players that were given promises and went undrafted. Justin might have been one…….he was on many mocks…….some even thought he’d go at end of round 1……didn’t work out that way.

Best of luck to him…..whatever he decides.

Ps what Vander or Justin did has no bearing on OMax…….lots of players declare and then withdraw……

Goose

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2023, 05:27:54 PM »
79warrior

Shaka was hired to get the job done. He has created a top ten style of play, Imo, and time to do some recruiting from the portal. If a kid does not want to play in a system that loves 3’s and dunks, they are missing out. Recruiting is the least of my concern, current players, high school kids or portal guys.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2023, 05:28:45 PM »
If he comes or goes MU will be fine, but now I believe he will need to add another forward or big just for depth.

feedback