[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 85596 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
So please explain why you think Shaka had him as a starter.

His only alternative was a raw freshman, Gold. Their whole bench that played were freshman except Jop. Joplin’s game was not a suitable alternative either
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 01:47:04 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2023, 01:47:13 PM »
If he is not back, it is a big loss.  I'm not particularly worried from an offensive perspective but to me there would now be a glaring hole in regards to someone his size and length that could be used to shut down wing players.  Our two wins and what he did to Hawkins in them is a prime example.  If Shaka can get a long, athletic wing that can defend and rebound that would be big. 

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2023, 01:49:43 PM »
Those of you who do not realize that Shaka already has been portaling - knowing that this was possible if not likely- are obtuse.

https://tenor.com/bLs7G.gif
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 01:53:02 PM by LloydsLegs »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2023, 01:53:27 PM »
Legs

I fully agree. Only sticky point, how long he can wait sign one before they go elsewhere.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2023, 01:55:02 PM »
Quote from: Tha Hound link=topic=64742.msg1545025#msg1545025 date=
Just once I would like one of our fringe (being generous here) NBA guys to stick around one more season. I know that's a lot to ask, but just one time would be nice.

Well, Kolek and Oso haven't declared yet.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2023, 01:56:47 PM »
He can't afford to wait.   Bird in the hand and all.

He has room for a portalee even if OMax returns .  Shaka will navigate culture and PT issues. 

Players who want to win it all will understand a move within the context of the culture.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2023, 01:58:54 PM »
Excellent news for OMax and MU. I believe it helps the program when players are able to make it to the NBA. Omax has what it takes to earn a spot on an NBA roster 6-8 guys with length like a Condor who are strong defenders do not grow on trees .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »
Excellent news for OMax and MU. I believe it helps the program when players are able to make it to the NBA. Omax has what it takes to earn a spot on an NBA roster 6-8 guys with length like a Condor who are strong defenders do not grow on trees .

Condor-length is the new aircraft carrier
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2023, 02:01:11 PM »
And Justin had way more upside than Prosper when he left. 

Not even close. Lewis is way less athletic and a mediocre defender.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 02:06:58 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2023, 02:05:38 PM »
1. He's maintaining his NCAA eligibility.
2. This was not a surprise to Shaka and Staff. They've kept a very open and honest dialog with him.
3. The fact that Shaka and Staff were NOT surprised AND have been quiet in the portal is telling. Either...
    A) They feel confident he'll be back
    B) They found his replacement and finalizing details

Shaka knows that next year's team is special and provides an amazing chance to bake a deep run. He's not going to just sit ideally by. I'm willing to bet he has a plan, and a back-up plan...and a back-up plan for the back-up plan.

Must be nice to be this glass half full all the time. Couldn't be me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2023, 02:07:06 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that there should be no loss of eligibility until you actually get a check from a professional team? Not sure why hiring an agent is the gateway in this day and age of NIL
[/quote

That would make the draft process pretty chaotic.  I imagine guys would decide to go back to school if they didn't like the spot where they got drafted, or didn't want to play for the particular team that drafted them.

I think that if they go undrafted, they should be able to return to school.

Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2023, 02:10:57 PM »
Am I alone in thinking that there should be no loss of eligibility until you actually get a check from a professional team? Not sure why hiring an agent is the gateway in this day and age of NIL
[/quote

That would make the draft process pretty chaotic.  I imagine guys would decide to go back to school if they didn't like the spot where they got drafted, or didn't want to play for the particular team that drafted them.

I think that if they go undrafted, they should be able to return to school.

I guess that's fair, although I have a hard time imagining someone going back to school just because they didn't like where they were drafted, I guess it could happen. I would agree with your exception for undrafted players.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2023, 02:13:47 PM »
And Justin had way more upside than Prosper when he left.

Yea, that's not true.

Omax can defend anyone. Lewis can't defend guards. Omax doesn't need to adjust his offensive role and he can be efficient. Lewis needs to adjust his offensive role to be successful in the NBA.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2023, 02:15:20 PM »
Not even close. Lewis is way less athletic and a mediocre defender.

Justin's athleticism is ridiculously underappreciated here.
At last year's NBA Combine, he ranked 4th overall in the standing vertical and 6th in the shuttle run.

romey

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »
At last year's NBA Combine, he ranked 4th overall in the standing vertical and 6th in the shuttle run.
And didn't he actually get signed by the Bulls only to have an unfortunate injury.  He was in a pretty good position  until then was he not?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2023, 02:20:02 PM »
1. What are you doing on this board?
2. I agree. The eye test (or at least my eye test) thought Justin was a bit slow, but his measurables were elite at the Combine.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2023, 02:26:13 PM »
And didn't he actually get signed by the Bulls only to have an unfortunate injury.  He was in a pretty good position  until then was he not?

Also, he has a current contract.  Signed a new one after he healed.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2023, 02:30:11 PM »
Bummer - I agree not replacements but I think Jop, Ross and Ben make huge leaps next year - we have 7 very good players. Assuming Sean comes back strong from injury that's 8. Adding some insurance with a 9th rotation player would be good but not necessary.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2023, 02:32:35 PM »

He should show it more playing basketball then - especially on the defensive side.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2023, 02:37:43 PM »
He should be forced to pay back his scholarship
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2023, 02:39:16 PM »
Some of you are acting like he’s the only 6’8 athletic guy in the draft. I like the guy, wish him well, but zero chance he gets drafted or signs as a free agent and plays in the NBA next year.

I will be pumped if/when he returns to MU but NBA? No chance

Also, I think it’s a very smart move to enter and get feedback. Hear what you need to hear (better handles, better shot, and much better balance/control). Come back and improve those things while winning a natty and then maybe the NBA might be a possibility
Bring back FFP!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2023, 02:41:14 PM »
Good luck, OMax!  Wish you well in your professional pursuits.

Trust the staff.  Shaka has proven he can find valuable pieces within the portal.  Joplin becoming a starter is very exciting.  Still need depth pieces though. 

I am curious if any of our current portal players (Ellis, Wrightsil, Itejere) decide to return knowing there are available minutes to be had.  That might be our best bet to filling the void left by OMax IMO.

My guess is that the other players were aware of OMax's plans

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »

Agreed.  Justin had plenty of explosive athleticism in terms of jumping ability.  His weakness was his lateral quickness.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2023, 02:45:59 PM »
Some of you are acting like he’s the only 6’8 athletic guy in the draft. I like the guy, wish him well, but zero chance he gets drafted or signs as a free agent and plays in the NBA next year.

I will be pumped if/when he returns to MU but NBA? No chance

Also, I think it’s a very smart move to enter and get feedback. Hear what you need to hear (better handles, better shot, and much better balance/control). Come back and improve those things while winning a natty and then maybe the NBA might be a possibility

Certainly not zero chance.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »
IF OMax stays in the draft, it does open the door for one or more of our current portal guys (Ellis, Wrightsil, Keeyan) to come back.  Ellis is probably the most likely as he could help fill the wing role, but Wrightsil could provide front court depth that is desperately needed now.  Keeyan seems unlikely to return to sit behind Oso and Gold.