[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 85720 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2023, 01:03:49 PM »
If I wasn't a good enough source, Ben Steele just confirmed O-Max is maintaining his NCAA eligibility.

Not including the option to return to school combined with the language he used to discuss the team all but shuts the door on the possibility of him coming back in my opinion. Sounds like Marquette officials coping.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2023, 01:05:45 PM »
If I wasn't a good enough source, Ben Steele just confirmed O-Max is maintaining his NCAA eligibility.

Is there any downside to maintaining eligiblity? Seems like it would give him a good escape hatch in the event he doesn’t peform well in the process or picks up a medium-term injury.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 01:06:48 PM »
Apparently our players aren't very smart.  Declare for the NBA when the NBA has a 4th Round Grade on you at this point in a 2 Round Draft.  This same "brilliance" worked out great for Justin Lewis last year as well.  ::)

Hopefully Emarion Ellis removes himself from the portal now.  If he truly has grown 2 inches, then he could fit this 3/4 roll and get some of Omax's minutes assuming his knee will heal completely. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2023, 01:08:18 PM »
I'd be shocked if OMax got drafted this season. I think he will go undrafted and probably get a G League deal or a 2 way deal.

I do think he will get to the NBA. I just don't think it will be next season.

Selfishly I would have loved for him to continue to develop under Shaka at MU. But he can develop in a G League setting too, while getting paid. I don't necessarily see this as a mistake on his part.

Like I stated earlier I agree, but wish him best of luck.  NBA is now a three pointer league.

Comparison:

Grady Dick 6ft 8in
Omax 6ft 8in

Omax probably better on defense, but what NBA wants is a drop dead three point shooter with that height.  Grady Dick is just that.

Grady Dick is Lottery pick
Omax fringe pick, probably G-League or overseas.

Hope he is just getting feedback and returns.  Will know in upcoming weeks if Shaka goes for two in portal. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2023, 01:11:36 PM »
IMO, if they want to be a top five team next year Omax needs to be replaced by a portal player. There is no one the current roster that replace Omax and defense and they need size. Not replacing him with high end portal guy could very possibly be a missed opportunity for next season.

As for Omax, I stated several times over last offseason that I was going to enjoy Omax's last season at MU and I did. He was a very nice part of the team and is a fantastic athlete for his size. I think he will be playing in the NBA next season and wish him well.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »
Is there any downside to maintaining eligiblity? Seems like it would give him a good escape hatch in the event he doesn’t peform well in the process or picks up a medium-term injury.

I think they can only work with certain agents and there are some restrictions around various things like travel costs. I do remember someone answered it at some point, but that was what I could remember.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2023, 01:15:15 PM »
Apparently our players aren't very smart.  Declare for the NBA when the NBA has a 4th Round Grade on you at this point in a 2 Round Draft.  This same "brilliance" worked out great for Justin Lewis last year as well.  ::)

Hopefully Emarion Ellis removes himself from the portal now.  If he truly has grown 2 inches, then he could fit this 3/4 roll and get some of Omax's minutes assuming his knee will heal completely.

You are very low on Omax.

And way too high on emarion.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2023, 01:17:07 PM »
Good luck, OMax!  Wish you well in your professional pursuits.

Trust the staff.  Shaka has proven he can find valuable pieces within the portal.  Joplin becoming a starter is very exciting.  Still need depth pieces though. 

I am curious if any of our current portal players (Ellis, Wrightsil, Itejere) decide to return knowing there are available minutes to be had.  That might be our best bet to filling the void left by OMax IMO.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2023, 01:20:25 PM »
warrior11

I would move on from the three that left and replace Omax with a proven portal guy. They are highly ranked and filling one piece via the portal should be relatively easy. I have no problem if Shaka finds a sleeper as long as they have a lot of playing time experience.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2023, 01:20:47 PM »

That might be our best bet   to filling the void left by OMax IMO.

That’s likely not our best bet.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2023, 01:20:51 PM »
Just once I would like one of our fringe (being generous here) NBA guys to stick around one more season. I know that's a lot to ask, but just one time would be nice.

Agree. And agree too it’s generous to call him on the fringe.  Below average rebounder, zero rim protection, very inconsistent shooter, falls and flops all over, overrated defender whose hips are stiff. 

Other than that, bet the NBA is salivating.  Go to the portal and get someone better. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2023, 01:21:33 PM »
He'd be foolish not to declare and give it a try.

More likely he stays and has another year with us.
Why do you think he is more likely to stay?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »
Happy to see OMax test the waters, hopefully he makes some noise in the run up to the draft. Getting medium usage players to the league will make it easier for Shaka to continue getting players bought into his style of offense.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2023, 01:23:46 PM »

And Justin had way more upside than Prosper when he left. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2023, 01:27:00 PM »
And Justin had way more upside than Prosper when he left.

I disagree.

I think OMax has SIGNIFICANTLY more upside.

One man's opinion, but he is more athletic, he's taller, he's way faster, he's a much better defender and the shooting is similar.

OMax has a real chance at getting drafted, not sure Justin ever did last year.
VIOLENCE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2023, 01:29:05 PM »
Not including the option to return to school combined with the language he used to discuss the team all but shuts the door on the possibility of him coming back in my opinion. Sounds like Marquette officials coping.

Maintaining eligibility can be factually true in this case without being a coping mechanism.

I'm sure the coaches know better than we do whether or not O-Max is likely to return. They may even know O-Max is likely gone, but that doesn't change the fact of whether or not O-Max retains his eligibility for the time being.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2023, 01:29:23 PM »
Agree. And agree too it’s generous to call him on the fringe.  Below average rebounder, zero rim protection, very inconsistent shooter, falls and flops all over, overrated defender whose hips are stiff. 

Other than that, bet the NBA is salivating.  Go to the portal and get someone better.

So please explain why you think Shaka had him as a starter.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2023, 01:30:16 PM »
IMO, if they want to be a top five team next year Omax needs to be replaced by a portal player. There is no one the current roster that replace Omax and defense and they need size. Not replacing him with high end portal guy could very possibly be a missed opportunity for next season.

As for Omax, I stated several times over last offseason that I was going to enjoy Omax's last season at MU and I did. He was a very nice part of the team and is a fantastic athlete for his size. I think he will be playing in the NBA next season and wish him well.

I don't think you can find a player in the portal that replaces what OMax brought. I think we will see next year just how valuable he was (assuming he's gone).  He did so much for this team and cleaned up a lot of their mistakes defensively.

You just can't replicate it.  Would be a slightly tweaked system next year should OMax indeed be done.
VIOLENCE!

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2023, 01:30:36 PM »
Best of luck to OMax. Hopefully it works out better than it did for Justin.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2023, 01:31:32 PM »
Best of luck to OMax. Hopefully it works out better than it did for Justin.

Marquette is actually trading OMax to the NBA for Justin I heard.
VIOLENCE!

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2023, 01:33:42 PM »

1. He's maintaining his NCAA eligibility.
2. This was not a surprise to Shaka and Staff. They've kept a very open and honest dialog with him.
3. The fact that Shaka and Staff were NOT surprised AND have been quiet in the portal is telling. Either...
    A) They feel confident he'll be back
    B) They found his replacement and finalizing details

Shaka knows that next year's team is special and provides an amazing chance to bake a deep run. He's not going to just sit ideally by. I'm willing to bet he has a plan, and a back-up plan...and a back-up plan for the back-up plan.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2023, 01:35:05 PM »

I have one question:  Are you really this stupid, or is it an act?

Please follow another team.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »
warrior11

I would move on from the three that left and replace Omax with a proven portal guy. They are highly ranked and filling one piece via the portal should be relatively easy. I have no problem if Shaka finds a sleeper as long as they have a lot of playing time experience.

Since Shaka does not want an NIL bidding war to get a player, the sleeper route appears to be the only option.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2023, 01:38:09 PM »
I think they can only work with certain agents and there are some restrictions around various things like travel costs. I do remember someone answered it at some point, but that was what I could remember.
They must be NCAA certified agents.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2023, 01:39:12 PM »
1. He's maintaining his NCAA eligibility.
2. This was not a surprise to Shaka and Staff. They've kept a very open and honest dialog with him.
3. The fact that Shaka and Staff were NOT surprised AND have been quiet in the portal is telling. Either...
    A) They feel confident he'll be back
    B) They found his replacement and finalizing details

Shaka knows that next year's team is special and provides an amazing chance to bake a deep run. He's not going to just sit ideally by. I'm willing to bet he has a plan, and a back-up plan...and a back-up plan for the back-up plan.

How does one measure "have been quiet in the portal"  - is there a Kenpom metric for a coach's portal activity?  Or are you measuring this off your social media analytics?

Pretty sure Shaka will keep his activity low profile until any actual commitments...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 02:21:28 PM by PointWarrior »