collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 19400 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2023, 02:34:58 PM »
Biggest oversight on their menu, imo

Actually I was joking.  I wouldn't expect a fancy French restaurant to have cheeseburgers on their menu.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2023, 02:41:16 PM »
Obelix is the best restaurant I've been to this year. Casual, friendly service for a high end resto. West side of River North.

I had the lapin confit and it was great. Friends had the steak frites and the skate wing katsu, and both were excellent. Apps were the tartes aux fraises and the macaron au foie gras, both were wonderful.

Keeping it short, I can't say enough about the meal here. About $100/person if you have a drink with your meal. We'll be back soon to try the rest of the menu.

Just made a reservation...thanks

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2023, 04:30:45 PM »
Actually I was joking.  I wouldn't expect a fancy French restaurant to have cheeseburgers on their menu.

I know you were joking, and I responded with a joke. It's all good :)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2023, 05:46:45 PM »

Le chezburger

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2023, 07:04:42 PM »
Atomix in NYC is the only USA restaurant ranked in the recent  World's Best Top 25.  It's less than a mile from MSG.  I assume our players will dine there before winning btb BEast tournament titles?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2023, 10:03:08 PM »
Went to Mako last night. That was life changing sushi. One of the dishes might be the best thing I've ever had.

Can't imagine omakase Yume being much better
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2023, 11:42:05 AM »

The funny thing is some of the best burgers Ive had in my life have been in bistros in France.  That country, for all the freedom fries jokes over the years, absolutely crushes it with burgers.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2023, 12:36:01 PM »
The funny thing is some of the best burgers Ive had in my life have been in bistros in France.  That country, for all the freedom fries jokes over the years, absolutely crushes it with burgers.

I have generally seen a burger option at French Bistros all across North America.   It's all about the gruyere.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2023, 11:31:28 AM »
I don't need to muddy up the other thread where it was mentioned and I don't want to take this one too off course, but speaking of restaurants, has anyone seen a complete sh**show in terms of takeout/delivery orders in the last 6-12 months?  I was just in NY/NJ for a week and 4 out of 5 delivery orders both in Manhattan and the near burbs of NJ were totally messed up, and met with tepid responses from the restaurants related to the staff.  Back home in the MKE area, I think its a only 50-60% hit rate in terms of orders being correct.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »
Wags

As I noted in the other thread, lazy workers are causing big issues to restaurants and fast food joints. I am sure there are folks on here that will disagree, but bad workers might be a bigger problem than no workers.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2023, 01:17:26 PM »
Have we ever had worker shortages like we have now? Not in my lifetime. I’ve never seen anything like it. Have to pay to get decent talent. Good for workers whose income has been declining in real dollars for a long time.

The worst workers can now get and keep jobs. Isn’t that what has really changed? Not everyone is internally driven to perform or capable and if they are they are not in the lowest wage jobs, with customers screening at them because they forgot a napkin or to hold the ketchup etc.  They have moved up the chain.

When will we encourage legal immigration again? Answer: It looks like never. We are literally paying for it now.

So just get used to poorer quality workers at the low end of the wage scale until there is a big employment downturn, or tech and robots replace people.  It could be a while.

In the meantime, except that not everyone is going to hustle and be on top of their game. As a business professor used to say “how much of the worker’s loyalty did the employer buy” Answer: Not much for low wages.  A lot for higher wages. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2023, 02:29:48 PM »
Wags

As I noted in the other thread, lazy workers are causing big issues to restaurants and fast food joints. I am sure there are folks on here that will disagree, but bad workers might be a bigger problem than no workers.

Pakuni and Dos Swine take umbridge to your description of them as lazy fast food workers.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2023, 02:31:34 PM »
Have we ever had worker shortages like we have now? Not in my lifetime. I’ve never seen anything like it. Have to pay to get decent talent. Good for workers whose income has been declining in real dollars for a long time.

The worst workers can now get and keep jobs. Isn’t that what has really changed? Not everyone is internally driven to perform or capable and if they are they are not in the lowest wage jobs, with customers screening at them because they forgot a napkin or to hold the ketchup etc.  They have moved up the chain.

When will we encourage legal immigration again? Answer: It looks like never. We are literally paying for it now.

So just get used to poorer quality workers at the low end of the wage scale until there is a big employment downturn, or tech and robots replace people.  It could be a while.

In the meantime, except that not everyone is going to hustle and be on top of their game. As a business professor used to say “how much of the worker’s loyalty did the employer buy” Answer: Not much for low wages.  A lot for higher wages. 

Exactly. This is an economic issue. Not a social, "no one wants to work these days" issue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2023, 02:31:39 PM »
Business Economics 101-- the biggest obstacle to any successfully run business is...cheap help, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2023, 03:04:14 PM »
Wags

One might argue if you pay bad wages, you get bad labor, especially during a labor shortage. Also, what GOO said.

EDIT: Didn't see this was a whole thing in the forest fire thread
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 03:18:20 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2023, 03:14:51 PM »
I don't need to muddy up the other thread where it was mentioned and I don't want to take this one too off course, but speaking of restaurants, has anyone seen a complete sh**show in terms of takeout/delivery orders in the last 6-12 months?  I was just in NY/NJ for a week and 4 out of 5 delivery orders both in Manhattan and the near burbs of NJ were totally messed up, and met with tepid responses from the restaurants related to the staff.  Back home in the MKE area, I think its a only 50-60% hit rate in terms of orders being correct.

I refuse to do delivery anymore.  It's all carry out, get there 10 minutes early and grab a drink at the bar.  You at least know your food is hot and ready when you pick it up.  Most food is not meant to be delivered and most people are not meant to be food deliverers.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »
I refuse to do delivery anymore.  It's all carry out, get there 10 minutes early and grab a drink at the bar.  You at least know your food is hot and ready when you pick it up.  Most food is not meant to be delivered and most people are not meant to be food deliverers.
Never go through the drivethru
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9upvWNN3P8

tower912

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2023, 03:59:11 PM »
I haven't trusted fast food since I saw what they did to Farva in Super Troopers.

I haven't trusted Applebee's or TGI Friday's since I saw Waiting.    Clearly a documentary.
(Wait, it was made in 2005.  These issues existed then?!?!?   Who knew?)

All would be forgiven if my waitress was like Jennifer Aniston in Office Space.

Of course, if my dentist was like Jennifer Aniston in Horrible Bosses, maybe my opinion about dentists would be changed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 04:21:06 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2023, 05:18:20 PM »
I haven't trusted fast food since I saw what they did to Farva in Super Troopers.

I haven't trusted Applebee's or TGI Friday's since I saw Waiting.    Clearly a documentary.
(Wait, it was made in 2005.  These issues existed then?!?!?   Who knew?)

All would be forgiven if my waitress was like Jennifer Aniston in Office Space.

Of course, if my dentist was like Jennifer Aniston in Horrible Bosses, maybe my opinion about dentists would be changed.

You'd start going?  (British teeth)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2023, 05:20:19 PM »
I'd enjoy it more.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2023, 06:04:49 PM »
Whoops
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:07:10 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »
Pakuni and Dos Swine take umbridge to your description of them as lazy fast food workers.

I am definitely lazy. My fast food career lasted exactly one four-hour shift, however.

There is an art to being lazy and also successful. The most essential step is not wasting time on crap that absolutely doesn't matter.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2023, 06:49:53 PM »

In the burbs, sure.  But in Manhattan or a city, not as simple.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2023, 08:23:34 PM »
Was kickin around Chicago this morning while my kid was trying to get recruited to play soccer at Loyola, and we checked out Little Goat Diner by the great Stephanie Izard. We did a pork and biscuit, the okonomiyaki, and the chili crunch fries. All in all we wouldn’t rush back. Fries were really good with some added apricot hot sauce, my okonomiyaki was good but just a little short on flavor, pig and biscuit was super flavorful but maybe too much so. Drinks and coffee we just okay, sitting outside on the patio was great. Service was solid.

Side note: I drove past Birrieria Zaragoza today, I’m pretty sure someone mentioned it here. Had no idea it’s next to the Green Mill, can’t wait to check it out. I’m heading to the city soon to see a band at Subterranean and will have to swing by.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2023, 09:05:20 PM »
We went to Ever in Chicago last week. It was wonderful.

Great food, great service, great wine pairing + somm storytelling. ~2.5 hour service.