collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 17741 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2023, 11:50:36 PM »
Trying to decide on a birthday dinner, anybody been to El Ideas or Schwa?

those being BYOB & starred tasting menus caught my eye as I'm sitting on a $70 bottle with a 4.8 on Vivino.

Schwa all day.  I don’t know if it’s lost it’s fastball at all but it’s such a cool spot

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2023, 08:58:52 AM »
Hoping to grab dinner at Kie Gol Lanee on Monday. I've heard great things from two separate and reliable food friends.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2023, 09:18:14 AM »
Hoping to grab dinner at Kie Gol Lanee on Monday. I've heard great things from two separate and reliable food friends.

Ooh, nice, please share your experience. I really want to check out this joint.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2023, 11:05:42 PM »
Before I go on my off season scoop hiatus, Plas in Columbus and El Lugar were incredible. Would never go back to Lindey's
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2023, 09:46:26 AM »
I had a wonderful coursed menu at Indienne last night. Every dish was a hit, service was excellent, the wine pairing was very good and the som was a great story teller. ~$500 for a couple. We'll be going again for sure, their menu updates seasonally. https://www.indiennechicago.com/

In another resto category altogether, I had wonderful chillaquilles and hot chocolate for breakfast last weekend at La Catedral in Little Village. Highly recommended - https://www.lacatedralcafe.com/

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2023, 01:50:53 PM »
Indienne looks incredible.  Did you have vegetarian or non-v?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2023, 02:29:45 PM »
Indienne looks incredible.  Did you have vegetarian or non-v?

Non veg for the whole table. I went a couple of friends of mine that are of Indian heritage (and are very picky about the Indian food they eat) and they think it's phenomenal. They had been to Indienne once before and gotten 1 v and 1 non-v meal, and said both were excellent. It's just hard to pass up the lamb and the cornish hen dishes. Knocked my socks off.

The gin cart was delicious and novel. I just liked the Som a lot more than the gin cart guy so I'd get the win pairing next time.

Seats at the bar were available when we showed up around 8pm and you can order a la carte at the bar. Wonderful bartenders, and worth a quick pop-in if you're in River North without a previous reservation, I'd imagine.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2023, 11:30:14 AM »
Was just in Alaska. The Double Musky Inn is outstanding . Cajun with a local sea food flair . Eclectic setting. About 45 minutes south of Anchorage in Girdwood.

Chef will make no salt meals if you request
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2023, 02:52:28 PM »
Checking out the new-to-me Taqueria Atotonilco in Pilsen tonight. Their location in Little Village has the best tacos al pastor in the city, imo. I'm hopeful the Pilsen location is just as good since it's more convenient to get to.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2023, 05:52:27 PM »
In Richmond VA for a few days, had a good burger and excellent service and beer at Citizen Burger in Carytown. Enjoying Can Can Brasserie tonight, also in Carytown, hopefully it’s good.

Went to a bakery in Church Hill called Sub Rosa, absolutely outstanding, some of the best, flakiest, butteriest pastries I’ve ever had. Limit of eight, long line, they will run out, and they had zero loaves of their bread by 10am ish. Proper Pie is a short walk away, so split up and treat yourselves. Sub Rosa is phenomenal.

Got great recommendations for Stella’s and Perly’s while in line at Sub Rosa, modern Greek/Mediterranean restaurant and a Jewish Deli, two of my favorite cuisines.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2023, 06:31:38 PM »
In Richmond VA for a few days, had a good burger and excellent service and beer at Citizen Burger in Carytown. Enjoying Can Can Brasserie tonight, also in Carytown, hopefully it’s good.

Went to a bakery in Church Hill called Sub Rosa, absolutely outstanding, some of the best, flakiest, butteriest pastries I’ve ever had. Limit of eight, long line, they will run out, and they had zero loaves of their bread by 10am ish. Proper Pie is a short walk away, so split up and treat yourselves. Sub Rosa is phenomenal.

Got great recommendations for Stella’s and Perly’s while in line at Sub Rosa, modern Greek/Mediterranean restaurant and a Jewish Deli, two of my favorite cuisines.

I was a long term Richmonder (over 20 years).

Kuba Kuba is a must. Cuban food in a tiny, very busy place.

For the Love of Chocolate in Carytown is a phenomenal store. Leonidas is their primo selection of chocolate.

Capolla's Deli, also in Carytown, is great for sandwiches.

Do NOT pass up the opportunity to eat at Buzz and Ned's BBQ on Arthur Ashe Boulevard. Incredible!

Check out the Shockoe Slip area.

Eat 4-5 meals a day if you need to.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2023, 10:12:47 PM »
I was a long term Richmonder (over 20 years).

Kuba Kuba is a must. Cuban food in a tiny, very busy place.

For the Love of Chocolate in Carytown is a phenomenal store. Leonidas is their primo selection of chocolate.

Capolla's Deli, also in Carytown, is great for sandwiches.

Do NOT pass up the opportunity to eat at Buzz and Ned's BBQ on Arthur Ashe Boulevard. Incredible!

Check out the Shockoe Slip area.

Eat 4-5 meals a day if you need to.

I like your style. Thanks for the recs!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »
Ada Street last night.  Near the Hideout.  Fantastic food (sharing plate style), cool bar, friendly staff, indoor/outdoor setting.  Perfect night for it.  Recommend their barrel aged manhattan, carrots, burrata, scallops, bolognese and agnolotti.  Swordfish had too much cumin for me; lamb rib too bbq saucy, but still good.  Will return. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2023, 03:34:08 PM »
I like your style. Thanks for the recs!

So....where did you eat in Richmond.? And please do not tell me that you did not go to Buzz and Ned's BBQ while in town.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2023, 05:12:02 PM »
So....where did you eat in Richmond.? And please do not tell me that you did not go to Buzz and Ned's BBQ while in town.

Well, probably gonna let you down here. Can Can in Carytown was a really cool French Bistro vibe, couple apps were good, wine was good, they had a particular German beer that one of my dining partners raves about and was stoked to see on a menu, food was above average, service above average.

What I didn’t quite realize is we only had two meals to cover one being a soccer team dinner which was at Home Team Grill near VCU, good beer, solid food, outstanding service. Tried for a couple brewery and tasting rooms one was not willing/able to set aside room for our sized group, the other said absofrickinlutely if they didn’t already have a private party that night.

So, that left Memorial Day which meant slim pickins for food. We ended up having a late lunch/early dinner at Native Plate. Bao buns were good, salmon larb was nice and funky, yellow curry was delish. Service started friendly, actually was always friendly, but just super laxed.

So, we will have to go back and check out your places and a few others. It was a pretty cool town with fun neighborhoods.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2023, 06:13:40 PM »
Well, probably gonna let you down here. Can Can in Carytown was a really cool French Bistro vibe, couple apps were good, wine was good, they had a particular German beer that one of my dining partners raves about and was stoked to see on a menu, food was above average, service above average.

What I didn’t quite realize is we only had two meals to cover one being a soccer team dinner which was at Home Team Grill near VCU, good beer, solid food, outstanding service. Tried for a couple brewery and tasting rooms one was not willing/able to set aside room for our sized group, the other said absofrickinlutely if they didn’t already have a private party that night.

So, that left Memorial Day which meant slim pickins for food. We ended up having a late lunch/early dinner at Native Plate. Bao buns were good, salmon larb was nice and funky, yellow curry was delish. Service started friendly, actually was always friendly, but just super laxed.

So, we will have to go back and check out your places and a few others. It was a pretty cool town with fun neighborhoods.

I absolutely fell in love with Richmond when I arrived in the 80's. Funky Carytown, the miles and miles of late 19th century/early 20th century homes, some luxurious, others elegant even in their simplicity, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, Shockhoe Slip with its cobblestone streets, beautiful parks, the James River with its Class V rapids, tons of history. I grew up in the Chicago area, but in my heart, I will always be a Richmonder.

Promise me that you will go to Buzz and Ned's and also Kuba Kuba on your next trip.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 06:18:33 PM by Scoop Snoop »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2023, 07:54:53 PM »
I absolutely fell in love with Richmond when I arrived in the 80's. Funky Carytown, the miles and miles of late 19th century/early 20th century homes, some luxurious, others elegant even in their simplicity, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, Shockhoe Slip with its cobblestone streets, beautiful parks, the James River with its Class V rapids, tons of history. I grew up in the Chicago area, but in my heart, I will always be a Richmonder.

Promise me that you will go to Buzz and Ned's and also Kuba Kuba on your next trip.

I definitely will, they are on my list. Thank you!

I’m a proud graduate of Neil Armstrong Elementary School in Hoffman Estates.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »
I definitely will, they are on my list. Thank you!

I’m a proud graduate of Neil Armstrong Elementary School in Hoffman Estates.

Thomas Jefferson Elementary in HE checking in.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2023, 07:38:13 AM »
World’s largest Buc-ee’s opens today near Knoxville, TN. Sevierville, TN, home town of Dolly Parton and not far from Dollywood. 74,000 square feet. 46th location in 7 states. (soon to be 10 states)

Don’t fret Texas. A store remodel will make the Luling location number 1 again some time soon. 75,000 square feet.

Team Buc-ee’s.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2023, 08:26:46 AM »
Buc-ees is a must stop anytime we drive by
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »
Buc-ees is a must stop anytime we drive by

Calling it a restaurant is a bit of a stretch.

It's a very fancy truck stop.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2023, 09:47:48 AM »
Obelix is the best restaurant I've been to this year. Casual, friendly service for a high end resto. West side of River North.

I had the lapin confit and it was great. Friends had the steak frites and the skate wing katsu, and both were excellent. Apps were the tartes aux fraises and the macaron au foie gras, both were wonderful.

Keeping it short, I can't say enough about the meal here. About $100/person if you have a drink with your meal. We'll be back soon to try the rest of the menu.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »
Obelix is the best restaurant I've been to this year. Casual, friendly service for a high end resto. West side of River North.

I had the lapin confit and it was great. Friends had the steak frites and the skate wing katsu, and both were excellent. Apps were the tartes aux fraises and the macaron au foie gras, both were wonderful.

Keeping it short, I can't say enough about the meal here. About $100/person if you have a drink with your meal. We'll be back soon to try the rest of the menu.

How are their burgers?
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
How are their burgers?

Biggest oversight on their menu, imo

Edit: That Taqueria Atontolico location in Pilsen is every bit as good as their Little Village location

Also, Itoko is the new neighborhood spot on Southport. The chef is the guy that founded Momotaro, but he wanted to run a neighborhood spot. Kocked my socks off, doing simple stuff well. We stuck to sushi/sashimi with sake/cocktails. Semi casual, boisterous, wonderful. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 01:29:30 PM by Skatastrophy »

feedback