[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 19300 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2023, 09:49:25 PM »
Vagabond across the river has been an old standby.

We ended up going to Vagabond, and everyone really like their meals and beverages. Thanks for the recommendation, 21J.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2023, 02:00:56 PM »
Any grub suggestions in San Diego?  Are there any MU bars down there?  Ty.

Where in San Diego? Type of food?

Near Petco/East Village: Social Tap, Bub’s, Basic Bar (pizza) The Deck at Moonshine Flats.

Pacific Beach: Backyard Kitchen, Dirty Birds (Wings) also a Bub’s location, (Mavericks Beach Club has hosted MUBB events before)  Birrieria for tacos.

Mission Beach: SandBar, (game watching) La Playa Taco Shop. (tacos)

Gaslamp: Barleymash, Nason’s, Gaslamp Tavern.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 02:39:01 PM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2023, 02:44:14 PM »
I guess I would be closest to the Gaslamp area.  I'm staying at the Hyatt.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2023, 03:08:59 PM »
We ended up going to Vagabond, and everyone really like their meals and beverages. Thanks for the recommendation, 21J.

Glad you liked it

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
Any grub suggestions in San Diego?  Are there any MU bars down there?  Ty.

I love Pacific Beach and there are a couple places I frequent. Pacific Beach Fish Shop is awesome, it’s casual, picnic tables outside, cold Owl Farm beer, their house rub is super good. I don’t eat a lot of shrimp, but the shrimp with house rub is bomb. I like the Fishery, this is a sit down place with its own fish market, very good service, cool vibe. Big fan of Fig Tree Cafe for brunch. I’ve stayed at Tower 23 a handful of times, and I love goin barefoot at the bar overlooking the ocean.

In Gaslamp, I’ve really only had decent meals. Rustic Root is solid, but the real gem is the rooftop. I stay at the Pendry, so Lionfish is a decent option. Normally I’m a no restaurants in hotels kinda guy, but I changed my mind after eating at Xochi in Houston. Juniper & Ivy is well regarded as is Herb & Wood. Been reading about Zama, too, which is in the Gaslamp. Never been.

Good burgers at Hodad’s or Rocky’s.

My perfect trip is fish tacos in PB, a hike at Torrey Pines, and a show at Belly Up. Enjoy!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2023, 03:30:30 PM »
If you are in SD on a Sunday, you have to do the Sunday Brunch at the Hotel Del. You're welcome

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »

Which Hyatt? Grand Hyatt?

Closest area would be Petco/East Village recs. Werewolf and Barleymash for game watching are about a half mile East of there between G and Market. There is a Prince Street Pizza location there if you are familiar with their NYC location for pizza. There are about a half a dozen good taco shops around there too.

The others for game watching, Social Tap, Bub’s etc are an additional half mile East, about a mile total from Grand Hyatt, near Petco, but close.

You are about 8 to 10 miles from some of the other locations.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2023, 03:35:44 PM »

Closest area would be Petco/East Village recs. Werewolf and Barleymash for game watching are about a half mile East of there between G and Market. There is a Prince Street Pizza location there if you are familiar with their NYC location for pizza. There are about a half a dozen good taco shops around there too.

The others for game watching, Social Tap, Bub’s etc are an additional half mile East, about a mile total from Grand Hyatt, near Petco, but close.

Good stuff

🏀

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2023, 03:56:54 PM »
What do you guys got for dinner spots in Minneapolis? Nothing upscale, breweries with good food are a plus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2023, 04:14:05 PM »
What do you guys got for dinner spots in Minneapolis? Nothing upscale, breweries with good food are a plus.

Bauhaus for beer and food trucks.  You like BBQ? (upon further evaluation, their trucks change, so check before you go)

Otherwise Falling Knife has good beer and BBQ.

Dangerous Man for beer.

Indeed for art and beer.

Enjoy.  The whole NE brew district is great.  Zero misses.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 04:16:18 PM by Hards Alumni »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2023, 04:14:38 PM »

Pyres brewing was fantastic for beers (had a sour and a hazy) as well as seltzers (my wife did a cucumber mint), did brunch there and that was great idk how the dinner food is though
Maigh Eo for Sam

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2023, 04:15:01 PM »

My buddy is always at Smack Shack and of course there is Matt’s Bar. When in Rome as it were.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2023, 04:19:44 PM »
Good stuff

Thanks. He’ll have several choices for sports bars and good eats separately. Or the mentioned sports bars have good food too.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2023, 04:28:04 PM »
Too bad about DM. We'll be going soon because it's so close. I grab coffee at Heritage Bikes & Coffee next door on some weekend mornings. Good coffee, good breakfast sammies. They are SLAMMED some days, and it's mostly younger people. Really not what I'd expect from that stretch of Lincoln, but it's pretty exciting for them!

I tend to go to Heritage on weekend mornings usually in the summertime since it's a nice walk down wellington to get there. That vegan crunchwrap is the stuff. I'm probably wearing a Marquette tshirt during those times so feel free to say hi.

Sad to hear the DM experience was so-so. The smelt isn't my go-to, but I find I love everything they have in the veggie department. Need to head back there soon.

Also noticed that Eden moved up to Roscoe and California (across from the Cafe Tola that's there). Gonna have to venture over there soon. Sounds like they have a great patio on the river.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2023, 06:55:43 PM »
I love Pacific Beach and there are a couple places I frequent. Pacific Beach Fish Shop is awesome, it’s casual, picnic tables outside, cold Owl Farm beer, their house rub is super good. I don’t eat a lot of shrimp, but the shrimp with house rub is bomb. I like the Fishery, this is a sit down place with its own fish market, very good service, cool vibe. Big fan of Fig Tree Cafe for brunch. I’ve stayed at Tower 23 a handful of times, and I love goin barefoot at the bar overlooking the ocean.

In Gaslamp, I’ve really only had decent meals. Rustic Root is solid, but the real gem is the rooftop. I stay at the Pendry, so Lionfish is a decent option. Normally I’m a no restaurants in hotels kinda guy, but I changed my mind after eating at Xochi in Houston. Juniper & Ivy is well regarded as is Herb & Wood. Been reading about Zama, too, which is in the Gaslamp. Never been.

Good burgers at Hodad’s or Rocky’s.

My perfect trip is fish tacos in PB, a hike at Torrey Pines, and a show at Belly Up. Enjoy!

Tyvm 21! 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2023, 06:57:43 PM »

The Manchester Grand Hyatt.  It appears to be next to Seaport Village?  And like a 10 min walk to Gaslamp stuff. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2023, 06:59:20 PM »
If you are in SD on a Sunday, you have to do the Sunday Brunch at the Hotel Del. You're welcome

Oh....I hadn't even thought of that.  Ty lawdog!  I have been to the Del Corrado once and it's an amazing property. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2023, 09:59:18 PM »
The Manchester Grand Hyatt.  It appears to be next to Seaport Village?  And like a 10 min walk to Gaslamp stuff.

It depends on how much time you have/days to spend.

I would start with the two plus areas mentioned:

A) Gaslamp plus Petco/East Village. It’s the closest, Half a mile to the first few sports bars mentioned, plus the pizza place, burger places, half a dozen taco shops, all good choices. Half mile more down the road, Petco/East Village have a couple of mentioned sports bars. All of the mentioned sports bars have pretty solid food.

B) Mission Beach up to Pacific Beach. (less than 3.5 miles from one another) Both areas have lots of good mentioned choices. These areas will be about 8 to 10 miles as mentioned from your hotel. It’s San Diego, go to the beach.

I can give additional recs if you have more days/time for up the coast trips as far up as near the SoCal Sports Complex in Oceanside and back down through Duke’s in La Jolla, or wherever. But I would start with A and B and branch out from there if you have more time.

Recs were for sports bars, pub food, other good eats, many of mine were casual, the basics, good burgers, pizza, and tacos. It’s San Diego, have some tacos and seafood. If you need high end or something like that, Tom Hams Lighthouse is about 4.5 miles West of your hotel. (It’s also a popular event space.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2023, 11:09:14 PM »

I can give additional recs if you have more days/time for up the coast trips as far up as near the SoCal Sports Complex in Oceanside and back down through Duke’s in La Jolla, or wherever. But I would start with A and B and branch out from there if you have more time.

Yep, love Duke’s, sit up top, overlook the ocean, cold beer, taco night. What could be better?

Was at the Sports Complex for a national soccer playoff event, solid facility.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2023, 11:17:36 PM »

It depends on how much time you have/days to spend.

I would start with the two plus areas mentioned:

A) Gaslamp plus Petco/East Village. It’s the closest, Half a mile to the first few sports bars mentioned, plus the pizza place, burger places, half a dozen taco shops, all good choices. Half mile more down the road, Petco/East Village have a couple of mentioned sports bars. All of the mentioned sports bars have pretty solid food.

B) Mission Beach up to Pacific Beach. (less than 3.5 miles from one another) Both areas have lots of good mentioned choices. These areas will be about 8 to 10 miles as mentioned from your hotel. It’s San Diego, go to the beach.

Recs were for sports bars, pub food, other good eats, many of mine were casual, the basics, good burgers, pizza, and tacos. It’s San Diego, have some tacos and seafood. If you need high end or something like that, Tom Hams Lighthouse is about 4.5 miles West of your hotel. (It’s also a popular event space.

I'm gonna be there Sat-Wed.  I essentially have Sat and Sun off.  Thx for all of the suggestions.  I've golfed at Torrey twice so I know La Jolla a bit but was hoping to explore other areas. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2023, 09:08:25 AM »
NEW ORLEANS ...

We're going to the Big Easy this spring. I know it's an incredible eating town, but I haven't been in 15 years, my wife hasn't been in 30 and our friends have never been, so I'd love to hear a few suggestions.

Are there a couple "can't miss" local/Cajun spots? A sports bar with actual good food to watch the Final Four? Great breweries? Establishments with jazz as background (as opposed to the main feature) and wonderful food?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
NEW ORLEANS ...

We're going to the Big Easy this spring. I know it's an incredible eating town, but I haven't been in 15 years, my wife hasn't been in 30 and our friends have never been, so I'd love to hear a few suggestions.

Are there a couple "can't miss" local/Cajun spots? A sports bar with actual good food to watch the Final Four? Great breweries? Establishments with jazz as background (as opposed to the main feature) and wonderful food?

One of my favorite cities on the planet 82! Here are a few places I’ve enjoyed.

Cochon
Butcher

Willie Mae’s (Bring a sixer for the line and a couple to share with your new friends)

Dooky Chase (Arguably NOLA’s most important restaurant)

My bar is The Kerry, coffee and beignets at Cafe Beignet (if you hit cafe du Monde sometimes getting into the inside area beats the line), Ole Saint is a sports bar, Parkway for a po boy (or Domilise), Central Grocery for a Muffuletta, Lafites for a drink and a ghost. Coop’s is a hole in the wall joint, Felix’s for Oysters (or Acme), Peche, Theo’s pizza, La Petite Grocery. Of course, you have the old standbys like Arnaud’s, Brennen’s, Commander’s Palace, Galitoire’s, etc. One of my best meals in my life was at Shaya, but I think that has gone. Perhaps there is a new place by the same chef, totally worth it.

Live music is everywhere, I super dig Fritzel’s, Tipitina’s, and of course hit Preservation Hall. Lafayette park often has events, I drank my way through the Abita catalog there. Stop and listen to a street band, throw some scratch into the guitar case.

Eat gumbo & red beans and rice & greens, take a Voodoo tour or hit the museum (buy a sachet, a little gris gris to keep you safe from harm), ride a street car, hit up other areas outside Bourbon St. I love Magazine St, Garden District, Frenchmen St., Royal St, Treme, City Park. Check out the WWII Museum, absolutely worth it. Ride a street car, visit a cemetery.

Honestly, I could go on and on. That city has a piece of my soul.

Edit: Keep your eyes up, you’re likely to see some cool stuff. As my young son at the time told me, he saw a woman wearing a purse…only a purse. Love. That. Town.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:35:39 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2023, 09:31:09 AM »
Haven't been since April of 2003...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2023, 09:34:17 AM »
Haven't been since April of 2003...

That was a good time to be alive in NOLA. Have some sweet pics with the guys on Bourbon St.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2023, 09:47:50 AM »
Hitting up birrieria zaragoza For lunch. Last time the wait was 2hrs hoping for maybe 1.5hrs today lol

Anybody up in MKE ever gone to Tavos Signature? That's one Mexican equivalent I haven't been able to find in Chicagoland for the same price:quality ratio.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback