[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 19398 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #200 on: July 17, 2023, 07:52:03 AM »
We went to Ever in Chicago last week. It was wonderful.

Great food, great service, great wine pairing + somm storytelling. ~2.5 hour service.

Did you see Richie?! Just kidding, very cool experience.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2023, 10:15:56 AM »
We went to Ever in Chicago last week. It was wonderful.

Great food, great service, great wine pairing + somm storytelling. ~2.5 hour service.

Wild - went on Thursday of last week. Never had a dinner experience like that before. Got a tour of the kitchen after too!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2023, 12:17:39 PM »
Side note: I drove past Birrieria Zaragoza today, I’m pretty sure someone mentioned it here. Had no idea it’s next to the Green Mill, can’t wait to check it out. I’m heading to the city soon to see a band at Subterranean and will have to swing by.

That's the new second location. The OG is down by midway.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2023, 01:02:45 PM »
We have a small Chinese place near where I work that has a buffet that charges by the pound. It is what I like to refer to as "good bad Chinese good." Today when I walked in I noticed that they have a 1 lb minimum on the buffet. That's cute...I wonder if anyone ever bought less than 1lb from the buffet.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2023, 03:18:40 PM »
We have a small Chinese place near where I work that has a buffet that charges by the pound. It is what I like to refer to as "good bad Chinese good." Today when I walked in I noticed that they have a 1 lb minimum on the buffet. That's cute...I wonder if anyone ever bought less than 1lb from the buffet.

They wouldn't have a rule if they didn't need it.  My guess is that someone is bringing rice from home and is going over there for one little scoop of kung pao chicken or a couple of egg rolls to carry out or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 04:05:52 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »
Biggest oversight on their menu, imo

Edit: That Taqueria Atontolico location in Pilsen is every bit as good as their Little Village location

Also, Itoko is the new neighborhood spot on Southport. The chef is the guy that founded Momotaro, but he wanted to run a neighborhood spot. Kocked my socks off, doing simple stuff well. We stuck to sushi/sashimi with sake/cocktails. Semi casual, boisterous, wonderful. Highly recommended.

I'd second Itoko. It was nice for when you want dressed-up sushi/sashimi. I still trend towards Sushi Hall for a more casual joint (and The Ward Room in the back for their cocktails).

Was kickin around Chicago this morning while my kid was trying to get recruited to play soccer at Loyola, and we checked out Little Goat Diner by the great Stephanie Izard. We did a pork and biscuit, the okonomiyaki, and the chili crunch fries. All in all we wouldn’t rush back. Fries were really good with some added apricot hot sauce, my okonomiyaki was good but just a little short on flavor, pig and biscuit was super flavorful but maybe too much so. Drinks and coffee we just okay, sitting outside on the patio was great. Service was solid.

Side note: I drove past Birrieria Zaragoza today, I’m pretty sure someone mentioned it here. Had no idea it’s next to the Green Mill, can’t wait to check it out. I’m heading to the city soon to see a band at Subterranean and will have to swing by.

I do love those fries. But overall it's a spot to anchor GG's and Itoko over there. Tasty diner food, but not life-changing.

Did you see Richie?! Just kidding, very cool experience.

Well played on the reference! I've only ever been to After and had a PHENOMENAL maitake steam bun with my cocktails. Will have to make it over to Ever at some point--but that's more of a "I hate winter" sort of trip that I'll hold it for.

Went to Gather during Square Roots before seeing Real Estate and had a phenomenal meal there. That chicken dish is fantastic and the watermelon gazpacho was insanely delicious. Oh, and Boka is still fantastic--Gnudi and the sweetcorn dessert were two highlights for me.

A little sad that Owen & Engine is on its way out.Gotta have the veggie curry and the burger at least once more before the doors close.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2023, 08:19:30 AM »
I'd second Itoko. It was nice for when you want dressed-up sushi/sashimi. I still trend towards Sushi Hall for a more casual joint (and The Ward Room in the back for their cocktails).

I do love those fries. But overall it's a spot to anchor GG's and Itoko over there. Tasty diner food, but not life-changing.

Well played on the reference! I've only ever been to After and had a PHENOMENAL maitake steam bun with my cocktails. Will have to make it over to Ever at some point--but that's more of a "I hate winter" sort of trip that I'll hold it for.

Went to Gather during Square Roots before seeing Real Estate and had a phenomenal meal there. That chicken dish is fantastic and the watermelon gazpacho was insanely delicious. Oh, and Boka is still fantastic--Gnudi and the sweetcorn dessert were two highlights for me.

A little sad that Owen & Engine is on its way out.Gotta have the veggie curry and the burger at least once more before the doors close.

A little sad is a major understatement (for me) their bone marrow was the best I'd had in Chicago, burger was the only burger that was spiced like an Irish or English burger, everything but the fish & chips was just outrageously good.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2023, 10:56:54 AM »
This came up in my Google news feed and I thought interesting for summer Scoop discussion.

https://vinepair.com/articles/america-oldest-bar-every-state/

The Oldest Bar in Every State
WORDS: HANNAH STAAB
ILLUSTRATION: SARA PINSONAULT

While it’s easy to get caught up in chasing reservations at the buzziest new cocktail destinations, there’s something to be said for bars that can stand the test of time. These American bars especially — with the oldest establishment on the list dating all the way back to 1673 — are tried and true.

Most of these establishments have persisted through decades — and in some cases, centuries — thanks to their dedication to sticking to what works. Rather than rebranding to sound more trendy, most of these bars’ names still unironically boast terms like “saloon,” “pirate”, and “olde” with astounding frequency. Instead of newfangled cocktails and natural wine, these places mostly persist on foamy beers and straight whiskey. And forget about modern interior design: Most of these spots are scattered with bizarre yet charming memorabilia from their centuries of operation — and that’s why we love them.

In many states these bars are widely recognized, and proudly flaunted, as the region’s oldest bar, but in others, the fight for the title can be a bit more controversial. Through centuries of history, including the murky years of prohibition, there are bound to be a few caveats to the oldest bar designations. So to compile this list, we had to make a few judgment calls. 

CONTINUED AT ABOVE LINK.  WAS TOO LONG TO POST HERE.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »
This came up in my Google news feed and I thought interesting for summer Scoop discussion.

I don't think I've been to any of them, but I have been to Fraunces Tavern in NYC a couple of times. It's kind of wild to have a pint where Washington bade farewell to his officers after the Revolutionary War.

It's also an interesting pop culture spot because at least some of the tavern scenes in Hamilton are reportedly set there (and reportedly Hamilton and Burr were both there for an event on July 4, 1804 -- a week before the infamous duel).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2023, 01:57:24 PM »
Got Kasama at the Sportsman Club pop up yesterday. That was delicious, definitely need to check out the full menu
Maigh Eo for Sam

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2023, 03:35:10 PM »
Love me the spirits at Lafitte’s Blacksmith, both the drinking and the voodoo gris gris kind

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2023, 03:59:13 PM »
I've been to four on the list.  CT, VT, GA, DC

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2023, 04:02:52 PM »
Love me the spirits at Lafitte’s Blacksmith, both the drinking and the voodoo gris gris kind

Lafitte's is the bomb. Gotta hang out there and drink at least one Voodoo daiquiri every time I am in NOLA.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2023, 04:33:23 PM »

Lafittes is unique in the fact that is super well known and touristy…but it’s also incredibly cool and a must visit that never seems cheesy

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2023, 02:26:53 PM »
I've been to the second oldest pub in London:

https://ye-olde-cheshire-cheese.co.uk/about/#:~:text=Probably%20the%20most,London%20in%201666.

"Probably the most famous pub in the world, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is one of London’s few remaining 17th Century chophouses. The sawdust on the floor is changed twice daily, It is a pub and eating house offering unpretentious fare in wooden bays provided by high-backed church pews and served by waiters. The site formed part of the 13th century Carmelite monastery and since 1538 a pub has stood here. The medieval pub was rebuilt in about 1667 after the Great Fire of London in 1666."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2023, 09:56:24 PM »
wife and I went to Girl & The Goat today. It was good but I know people who drive from Madison and Milwaukee to eat there and plan a trip around that a couple times a year... good but not  life changing.
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2023, 09:59:14 PM »
Armando’s Italian Restaurant, Northern BLVD between 73rd and 74th, Jackson Heights, Queens, NYC.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 27, 2023, 01:45:41 AM »
Middle Child Clubhouse Fishtown, Philadelphia.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2023, 08:21:41 AM »
I don't think I've been to any of them, but I have been to Fraunces Tavern in NYC a couple of times. It's kind of wild to have a pint where Washington bade farewell to his officers after the Revolutionary War.

It's also an interesting pop culture spot because at least some of the tavern scenes in Hamilton are reportedly set there (and reportedly Hamilton and Burr were both there for an event on July 4, 1804 -- a week before the infamous duel).

Fraunces Tavern is great!  Visit it every time I go to the BET.  Easy subway ride from MSG.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2023, 12:32:43 PM »
Had a shot of bitters on Saturday night on Washington Island (Door County) at Nelson's Hall & Bitter's Club, which stakes a claim as the longest continuingly operating pub in WI - they served drink sized potions of bitters through prohibition.  And they still sell 10,000 plus shots annually--Angastora Bitters biggest client.

https://www.facebook.com/nelsenshallandbittersclub/

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2023, 12:46:39 PM »
I'm also a card carrying member of their bitters club.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2023, 01:46:25 PM »
Had a shot of bitters on Saturday night on Washington Island (Door County) at Nelson's Hall & Bitter's Club, which stakes a claim as the longest continuingly operating pub in WI - they served drink sized potions of bitters through prohibition.  And they still sell 10,000 plus shots annually--Angastora Bitters biggest client.

https://www.facebook.com/nelsenshallandbittersclub/

Haha that's cool - I didn't know it was a thing.  Probably calls for a lot of cool variations on a Trinidad Sour.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »
I’ll stick with amaro

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2023, 04:46:10 PM »
Any restaurant suggestions for Rome and Florence?  We will be there next month before heading up to Oktoberfest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2023, 05:30:53 PM »
Any restaurant suggestions for Rome and Florence?  We will be there next month before heading up to Oktoberfest.

In Florence we went to:

L'ortone & Podere 39

Both were absolutely outstanding! Michelin Bib Gourmand awarded. 

Get the Gnuddi at Podere and the Plum stuffed pork and seafood risotto at L'ortone 3 of the top 5 or 10 dishes we had between Italy France and Spain
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 05:34:43 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback