[Today at 08:43:00 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 90833 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2022, 07:39:04 AM »
I don't like Kendall, but I can certainly empathize with what he has gone through, and what it has made him into as a result.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2022, 07:44:45 AM »
Good conversation about Succession. Agree with Jockey about its growing place in history. Already a top-6 all-time HBO drama for me, along with Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Deadwood and Game of Thrones. That's some pretty good company, and I'd probably place it higher than a few of those if I thought about it.

You seen Oz?!?

Because not including Succession and Barry which are still airing. I think its a very clear top 3 HBO show thanks to GOT's complete meltdown at the finishline.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2022, 07:50:25 AM »
My Dad would have loved Succession. He would be 101 if alive today and he loved Dallas, Dynasty and Fox News. There is no doubt that it would be very high on his all time favorite shows. Plus, I have zero doubt that he would have been a big fan of Shiv. I think he loved the shows/Fox that he did based off of the female leads. He changed his love of female leads several times during Dynasty and watching Fox News. So, though I dislike Shiv, I probably have a soft spot in my heart for her knowing my Dad would loved her.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2022, 07:55:16 AM »
You seen Oz?!?

Because not including Succession and Barry which are still airing. I think its a very clear top 3 HBO show thanks to GOT's complete meltdown at the finishline.

Uhhh ... Sopranos? The Wire?

Anyhow, the answer is
1. Greg
2. Willa
3. Karl

I think the whole point of Succession is that none of the main characters are remotely likeable.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
Uhhh ... Sopranos?

Anyhow, the answer is
1. Greg
2. Willa
3. Karl

I think the whole point of Succession is that none of the main characters are remotely likeable.

I don't watch the show, but when Kiernan Caulkin hosted SNL earlier this year, in his monologue he used something along the lines of of "my character being the least hate-able".

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2022, 07:58:21 AM »
My favorite Succession characters are Roman, Greg, and Tom. Kendall is definitely not on my list of favorites, but I honestly think Jeremy Strong's performance in that role is one of the finest performances I can recall on television. As a non-Succession aside, Julia Garner's performance as Ruth is also at that level.

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2022, 08:14:26 AM »
1. The Wire
2. The Sopranos
3. Chernobyl
4.  BAND OF BROTHERS (This one is often forgotten)
5.  The Leftovers
6. Boardwalk Empire (criminally underrated)
7. GoT (D&D, may they rot)
8. Westworld
9. Silicon Valley
10.  Mr. Show or Flight of the Conchords

Succession is easily a top 10 show, but I only count the shows that have finished up the series... I also really enjoy The Watchmen, but I'm disappointed that it is probably done... or at least that Lindelof would not be doing it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2022, 08:25:38 AM »
Uhhh ... Sopranos? The Wire?

Anyhow, the answer is
1. Greg
2. Willa
3. Karl

Correct...

The Wire
Sopranos

OZ

Barry and Succession not yet included.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2022, 08:57:21 AM »

Connor ... perfectly pathetic.

Almost as pathetic as Cameron.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »
1. The Wire
2. The Sopranos
3. Chernobyl
4.  BAND OF BROTHERS (This one is often forgotten)
5.  The Leftovers
6. Boardwalk Empire (criminally underrated)
7. GoT (D&D, may they rot)
8. Westworld
9. Silicon Valley
10.  Mr. Show or Flight of the Conchords

Succession is easily a top 10 show, but I only count the shows that have finished up the series... I also really enjoy The Watchmen, but I'm disappointed that it is probably done... or at least that Lindelof would not be doing it.

Loved Band of Brothers, and recently re-watched The Pacifiic and found it much better the second time around. But both were miniseries, so I won't include them.
Also, this Arliss slander should not stand!

1. Sopranos
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. The Wire
4. GoT (the weak ending has too many people forgetting just how good it was for a long, long time)
5. Succession
6. Carnivale (I'm convinced that had this come along five years later, it's a hit)
7. Silicon Valley
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Barry
10. Oz

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
Loved Band of Brothers, and recently re-watched The Pacifiic and found it much better the second time around. But both were miniseries, so I won't include them.

1. Sopranos
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. The Wire
4. GoT (the weak ending has too many people forgetting just how good it was for a long, long time)
5. Succession
6. Carnivale (I'm convinced that had this come along five years later, it's a hit)
7. Silicon Valley
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Barry
10. Oz

Larry Sanders Show?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2022, 09:25:07 AM »

1. Sopranos
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. The Wire
5. Succession
7. Silicon Valley
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Barry
10. Oz

Curb is great, but I struggled to keep my list to 10.  I never watched Carnivale, Deadwood, or Oz, so I can't comment on them.  Barry is great though.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2022, 09:25:21 AM »

1. Sopranos
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. The Wire
5. Succession
7. Silicon Valley
8. Boardwalk Empire
9. Barry
10. Oz
Good list, one show that I thought was excellent that many have forgotten was Dream On.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
Larry Sanders Show?

Never could get into it. Likewise, I didn't watch Veep or Deadwood beyond season 1, but I know people love those shows.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2022, 10:04:10 AM »
I'm not sure where I'd rank them, but some of the HBO one-off seasons were also excellent. I really enjoyed The Night Of, Watchmen, and True Detective 1 & 3 (that doesn't feel like a "series" in the traditional sense). The first True Detective, especially, was one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2022, 10:07:03 AM »
John from Cincinnati

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2022, 10:09:33 AM »
I specifically said HBO dramas when I named my top programs.

Despite its comedic moments, I classify Succession as a drama. Same could be said of Deadwood and Six Feet Under.

Chernobyl is one of the best things I've watched in recent years, but it was a limited series. Band of Brothers was awesome, but it was a miniseries. Few shows have entertained me as much as Veep did, but it obviously is not a drama. Same with Curb, Barry and Larry Sanders.

I've seen a few episodes of Oz and remember liking them, but we only had HBO off and on back then and I missed most of it. I wonder if it would still be worth watching or if it would be too dated. Anybody have an opinion on that?

Based on series folks are mentioning, Six Feet Under is being extremely underrated IMHO. That was a hell of a show, with very rich characters, great acting and one of the best finales I've ever seen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2022, 10:54:42 AM »
Any "Freaks and Geeks" fans here?

I loved it when it first aired, I bought the complete series on disc to give to my kids, and they fell in love with it as well.  Rewatching it right now on Hulu.

I don't think any other show on TV has perfectly captured what it's like to be a teenager, both the angst and the humor.

And it's so cool to see the works of so many talented people before they became famous -James Franco, Seth Rogen, Judd Apatow, Linda Cardellini, Jason Segel, Martin Starr, Paul Feig, Busy Phillips, Lizzy Caplan and Mike White, among others.  Even a significant number of the single-episode appearance are future stars.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:40:26 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »

I loved it when it first aired, I bought the complete series on disc to give to my kids, and they fell in love with it as well.  Rewatching it right now on Hulu.

I don't think any show on TV has perfectly captured what it's like to be a teenager both the angst and the humor.

And it's so cool to see the works of so many talented people before they became famous -James Franco, Seth Rogen, Judd Apatow, Linda Cardellini, Jason Segel, Martin Starr, Paul Feig, Busy Phillips, Lizzy Caplan and Mike White, among others.  Even a significant number of the single-episode appearance are future stars.

Great show, shame it's so short.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2022, 11:50:42 AM »
Based on series folks are mentioning, Six Feet Under is being extremely underrated IMHO. That was a hell of a show, with very rich characters, great acting and one of the best finales I've ever seen.

FIFY. And excellent call on Six Feet Under.

I don't think any show on TV has perfectly captured what it's like to be a teenager both the angst and the humor.

Really good show. One of those shows, like Firefly and Sports Night, that were brilliant but unfortunately cut short.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2022, 12:01:50 PM »
I specifically said HBO dramas when I named my top programs.

Despite its comedic moments, I classify Succession as a drama. Same could be said of Deadwood and Six Feet Under.

Chernobyl is one of the best things I've watched in recent years, but it was a limited series. Band of Brothers was awesome, but it was a miniseries. Few shows have entertained me as much as Veep did, but it obviously is not a drama. Same with Curb, Barry and Larry Sanders.

I've seen a few episodes of Oz and remember liking them, but we only had HBO off and on back then and I missed most of it. I wonder if it would still be worth watching or if it would be too dated. Anybody have an opinion on that?

I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Six Feet Under, but it kind of went off the rails for me the last couple.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2022, 12:04:46 PM »
I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Six Feet Under, but it kind of went off the rails for me the last couple.

Following the Sopranos was a tough bill for 6FU to overcome.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
Great show, shame it's so short.

I guess the bright side is that it wasn't on long enough to jump the shark. And the star actors, writers, and producers got the opportunity to go on to great movie careers.
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2022, 01:19:01 PM »
That 70s show is having a spinoff on Netflix. Original cast except for the alleged rapist is back.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2022, 01:21:16 PM »
That 70s show is having a spinoff on Netflix. Original cast except for the alleged rapist is back.

But why.

feedback