[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91545 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »
Comedians are usually the smartest people in the room.  Being quick witted usually goes hand in hand with knowing a lot of trivia.

And newscasters may be the dumbest?  I'm gonna go with Richter being smarter than most comedians and Blitzer struggling at Jeopardy vs a bag of rocks.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:24:19 AM by MuggsyB »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2022, 11:24:39 AM »
And newscasters may be the dumbest?  I'm gonna go with Richter being smarter than most comedians and Blitzer struggling in Jeopardy vs a bag of rocks.  :)
Yes. Ron Burgundy is an accurate portrait of a newsguy. Print journalist too (just kidding MU82)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2022, 11:55:52 AM »
Blew through Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix.

Superbly acted, exquisitely shot.  I mean, multiple times I said out loud "that was an unreal camera shot"...but man, a compelling story line absolutely fell to pieces in the last 1.5 episodes and the ending was a resounding MEH.  Both lame/cliche, and entirely not plausible.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2022, 11:59:45 AM »
Too bad she doesn’t understand gambling or she would be looking at a huge amount of money.

She agree!

https://www.vulture.com/article/jeopardy-champion-mattea-roach-interview.html

"Looking back at it, my strategy was bad. I think I probably should’ve played a lot more strategically. If Matt was cautious, then I was overly, overly cautious. I would describe my strategy as loss minimization rather than gain maximization. I was never somebody who would buzz in on clues and then think of the answer. Every time I buzzed in, with only one exception that comes to mind, I always had a primed response. My Daily Double wagers were really small. My Final Jeopardy wagers were generally not that large. Risk aversion was the way I played it."

(This was an endearing interview by the way.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2022, 12:45:19 PM »
I remember talking to a guy who appeared on the show. He said most contestants know most of the answers. It’s all about quick reaction both reading clues and buzzing in.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »
She agree!

https://www.vulture.com/article/jeopardy-champion-mattea-roach-interview.html

"Looking back at it, my strategy was bad. I think I probably should’ve played a lot more strategically. If Matt was cautious, then I was overly, overly cautious. I would describe my strategy as loss minimization rather than gain maximization. I was never somebody who would buzz in on clues and then think of the answer. Every time I buzzed in, with only one exception that comes to mind, I always had a primed response. My Daily Double wagers were really small. My Final Jeopardy wagers were generally not that large. Risk aversion was the way I played it."

(This was an endearing interview by the way.)

Thanks for posting this. It was a great article. Very honest and refreshing.

It is why my wife loves working with people this age. She was just asked to lead a weekly Buddhist meditation at a local college. She can’t get enough of the interaction with these kids.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »

Thanks for posting this. It was a great article. Very honest and refreshing.

It is why my wife loves working with people this age. She was just asked to lead a weekly Buddhist meditation at a local college. She can’t get enough of the interaction with these kids.

I am blown away by how with it most people are at this age these days.  WAY more with it than I was.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2022, 01:33:03 PM »
Really enjoyed reading that interview. Sounds like a great kid.

My favorite line was this:

It’s funny, a friend gave me a long lecture before I started my run about the reason Tom Brady is so good at football: He’s able to make very few errors. I was like, Great, I don’t care about Tom Brady.

Made me laugh ... and realize that was the one thing I had in common with her!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2022, 06:10:50 AM »
Finished first season of Wining Time.

On that championship team, 3 UCLA and 2 Marquette players.  At the time, two of the blue bloods.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2022, 10:11:12 PM »
Barry is such a good show.

The balance of comedy and dark drama is crazy.

The customer service for the bomb detonation app was hilarious.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2022, 11:52:30 PM »
Just got around to watching SNL from May 7. Kate McKinnon was a hilarious Amy Coney Barrett on Weekend Update.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2022, 05:38:16 PM »
The only way to watch SNL is after it's been fully saved on your DVR so you can fast forward through 80% of it because it's awful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2022, 07:53:55 PM »
The only way to watch SNL is after it's been fully saved on your DVR so you can fast forward through 80% of it because it's awful.

We watch on Hulu. No commercials, can fast-forward at will. We usually watch through Weekend Update, skipping past skits that are too stupid. Even when SNL had some of its best casts, the last half-hour or more were often bad.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2022, 08:13:22 PM »
I realize I'm probably super late to the party, but the first 3 episodes of peaky blinders have been fun

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2022, 08:29:32 PM »
I realize I'm probably super late to the party, but the first 3 episodes of peaky blinders have been fun

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until you meet Alfie.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »
You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until you meet Alfie.

In an incredible show, with incredible plots and incredible performances by a bevy of great actors, the way Hardy absolutely steals the scene everytime he appears as Alfie is just remarkable.  Beyond brilliant.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2022, 09:02:07 AM »
Yeah, We Own This City keeps getting better.

Bernthal just absolutely owns the role.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2022, 10:43:59 AM »
The end of Ozark on Netflix was a real bummer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2022, 10:51:33 AM »
Just got around to watching SNL from May 7. Kate McKinnon was a hilarious Amy Coney Barrett on Weekend Update.

It's been very hit or miss.  The end of the season is where the cast is clearly out of ideas and need the summer to brain storm things without as much pressure.

Having said that, I think 75% of the political stuff is whiffing at this point.  Elections and Trump are a bonanza for the show.  The only good political jokes are the ones that end up on WU.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2022, 10:53:36 AM »
Yeah, We Own This City keeps getting better.

Bernthal just absolutely owns the role.

His Baltimore accent is awesome.  Subtle and noticeable without being over the top.  Also liked seeing Rob Brown getting some shine, shout out Finding Forrester

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2022, 11:39:54 AM »
His Baltimore accent is awesome.  Subtle and noticeable without being over the top.  Also liked seeing Rob Brown getting some shine, shout out Finding Forrester

Probably cuz he grew up in Maryland just outside Baltimore.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2022, 01:53:24 PM »

Probably cuz he grew up in Maryland just outside Baltimore.

He's the son of a prominent lawyer and went to a prestigious school in DC for grade through HS.  I don't think he was picking up his accent from his day to day life.  Thats like saying an actor from Greenwich who went to NYU Film school doing a great Queens or Staten Island accent makes sense cause where they grew up. 

He's doing a great accent cause he's a great actor

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2022, 09:00:52 PM »
It's before my time but I guess there is a new Kids in the Hal with the entire original cast on Amazon Prime.  The first episode was hilarious. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2022, 09:05:44 PM »
It's been very hit or miss.  The end of the season is where the cast is clearly out of ideas and need the summer to brain storm things without as much pressure.

Having said that, I think 75% of the political stuff is whiffing at this point.  Elections and Trump are a bonanza for the show.  The only good political jokes are the ones that end up on WU.

Agree with all that. Some good individual performers and skits still, but you have to sit through lots of crapola to get to them.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2022, 09:28:31 AM »
We watch on Hulu. No commercials, can fast-forward at will. We usually watch through Weekend Update, skipping past skits that are too stupid. Even when SNL had some of its best casts, the last half-hour or more were often bad.

The opener and the monologue are usually the worst because they force an unfunny skit to hit on current events. When it gets weird, it gets better. For the last several years, that was usually the final half hour when they'd have a random Beck Bennett/Kyle Mooney skit. This year, really enjoying the Please Don't Destroy guys and Sarah Sherman. Strong season overall.

Edit: The Lizzo episode had a 3 skit run that was fantastic. The game show where she became the host, the Black Eyed Peas, and the TikTok montage. Stood out to me because I'm not usually laughing at 3 in a row.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:30:35 AM by drewm88 »