[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 91075 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2022, 02:18:12 PM »
Agreed.  I watch it because I started it so I might as well finish it, but I think every season has been worse than the previous season.  Ruth is awesome.  Everyone else is just fine.

I pretty much agree with all this. When I watched the first episode and saw Ruth, my initial thought was, "I hope that kid is a regular on this show." From her very first appearance there was something about her; the actress is very compelling. I'll probably keep going with it...but I'm not completely sure.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »
Agreed.  I watch it because I started it so I might as well finish it, but I think every season has been worse than the previous season.  Ruth is awesome.  Everyone else is just fine.

For me I think its actually gotten stronger

Still nowhere near a show like BB.

But I thought s3 was better than 2 and 2 better than 1.

4 obviously, still have to see. Id say first half of 4 was weaker than 3 for me.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2022, 03:06:51 PM »
I'm way behind in watching Ozark (S2E3), but it's starting to feel like Uncut Gems to me. Even if they can sustain the ratcheted up tension for hours upon hours, I'm not sure I can. There's a limit to how much of that I can take and Uncut Gems taught me that my max is about two hours. I like Ozark, but I'm not sure it's ever going to be a show that I can sit down and watch back-to-back-to-back episodes.

Uncut gems made me so anxious

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2022, 04:07:08 PM »
Personally prefer Ozark to BB though I realize that I'm in the super minority on that one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2022, 04:08:05 PM »
The Wiggles.

I can't believe that Paw Patrol is behind the paramount pay wall.   One of my favorite kids shows of my kids' childhood.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2022, 03:38:39 PM »
Ozark ending was pretty lame but nothing to completely tarnish the series. It was fine. Kept the series as a really good but not great one for me.

BCS continues to impress. The way the show can balance going from crazy ass cartel stuff right into pure comedy Saul Scheming is impressive as heck.

We Own This City through 2 episodes has me way intrigued. Simon knows his sh it. Bernthal is stellar as always.

Barry still the epitomy of dark comedy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »
Barry still the epitomy of dark comedy.

I watched the first 2 seasons at a blistering pace during COVID when I was essentially not working for a few weeks and my wife was still at full bore.

Now that Season 3 is out, we were looking for something comedic to watch so I suggested she watch it.  I decided to rewatch with her.  Through Season 1, its even better on a rewatch.  The facial acting of Bill Hader is so damn good.

Speaking of new seasons on HBO, if anyone likes historical dramas, Gentleman Jack is back for a second season.  The first was unexpectedly great and I recommend watching both.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2022, 03:59:00 PM »
I'm on season 3 of Boardwalk Empire.  Glad I stuck with it. It's gotten a lot better.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2022, 04:35:44 PM »
I watched the first 2 seasons at a blistering pace during COVID when I was essentially not working for a few weeks and my wife was still at full bore.

Now that Season 3 is out, we were looking for something comedic to watch so I suggested she watch it.  I decided to rewatch with her.  Through Season 1, its even better on a rewatch.  The facial acting of Bill Hader is so damn good.

Speaking of new seasons on HBO, if anyone likes historical dramas, Gentleman Jack is back for a second season.  The first was unexpectedly great and I recommend watching both.

I recently rewatched Barry as well to get ready for S3 since it really is a quick show to put down with limited eps and runtimes.

100% held up for me as well. S1 was probably better thn I remembered as you said. And S2 was truly elite tv.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2022, 05:16:31 PM »
Last night I had trouble sleeping and for some reason started watching this  Netflix movie Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal.  I think it's like 2014?  Anyway, I never thought much of the guy as an actor.  Not that he's bad but he certainly didn't stand out to me.  I have to say he was superb in this film.  And seriously creepy.  I would say it's worth watching despite a few insane sequences.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2022, 05:36:59 PM »
Last night I had trouble sleeping and for some reason started watching this  Netflix movie Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal.  I think it's like 2014?  Anyway, I never thought much of the guy as an actor.  Not that he's bad but he certainly didn't stand out to me.  I have to say he was superb in this film.  And seriously creepy.  I would say it's worth watching despite a few insane sequences.

Nightcrawler is a great movie and one of Gyllenhaals best.

But hes an amazing actor. Its rare that he has a bad performance in a film.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2022, 06:43:20 PM »

As someone with such a low opinion of the media, I'm quite surprised that you hadn't seen this yet.

Glad you liked it.  Great flick.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »
Nightcrawler is a great movie and one of Gyllenhaals best.

But hes an amazing actor. Its rare that he has a bad performance in a film.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of him.  I thought it was an outstanding performance. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »
Maybe I haven't seen enough of him.  I thought it was an outstanding performance.

Yeah hes not allows in great movies but his performances are almost always great.

Just recently he did the movie The Guilty which was basically just him as a call center operator all movie. Decent thriller, stellar performance.

Ambulance is a classic Michael Bay movie. But Jake committed to the full ham of the role and was a total treat

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2022, 08:56:16 PM »
Yeah hes not allows in great movies but his performances are almost always great.

Just recently he did the movie The Guilty which was basically just him as a call center operator all movie. Decent thriller, stellar performance.

I actually thought it was a much tricker role than a lot of psycho-villans.  He had a ton of dialogue and was very good with these little whacko expressions and gestures.  What made him so compelling is that he could have gone over the top but somehow made this character believable. 
Ambulance is a classic Michael Bay movie. But Jake committed to the full ham of the role and was a total treat

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2022, 08:13:56 AM »

I'd guess this is it, because he's pretty much always brilliant. One of the few actors that when he has something coming out we pretty much always make a point to see it. Either that, or my wife just has a crush on him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2022, 05:03:38 PM »
We just concluded watching the three seasons of Succession over the past month or so and I loved it. Finally jumping on the Ted Lasso and Ozark bandwagon and enjoying TL quite a bit. I have to admit, I am already missing spending my evenings with the Logan and family, but I think my wife is happy with a break from the twisted Roy family.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2022, 06:43:49 PM »
We just concluded watching the three seasons of Succession over the past month or so and I loved it. Finally jumping on the Ted Lasso and Ozark bandwagon and enjoying TL quite a bit. I have to admit, I am already missing spending my evenings with the Logan and family, but I think my wife is happy with a break from the twisted Roy family.

Rank your top 3 Succession characters.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2022, 07:00:13 PM »
wades

It is episode to episode. Roman has a special spot in my heart and he is in my top three and I guess I would add Connor and Logan. Other than Shiv, I love them all for different reasons. Ironically, at this very moment my wife just received an email from a headhunter and asked if she could channel her inner Logan and the tell the person "to fxxk off"? Since that has become a common phrase around the house, I advised her to go for it.

How about your list?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2022, 07:36:10 PM »
wades

It is episode to episode. Roman has a special spot in my heart and he is in my top three and I guess I would add Connor and Logan. Other than Shiv, I love them all for different reasons. Ironically, at this very moment my wife just received an email from a headhunter and asked if she could channel her inner Logan and the tell the person "to fxxk off"? Since that has become a common phrase around the house, I advised her to go for it.

How about your list?

Roman is my favorite as well. I like Greg and then Stewy.

In Ted Lasso Coach Beard is definitely my favorite. But they’re all great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2022, 08:33:17 PM »
Roman
Stewy
Tom

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2022, 09:34:47 PM »

I have argued in this thread that it is the best show currently on television. 1-2 more years at a similar level will put it in my top 5 all-time.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2022, 09:50:49 PM »
Roman
Stewy
Tom

Bingo. 

Greg an honorable mention if they flesh out his character a bit more than comedic relief.

While nowhere near the others, I kind of love Frank.  His constant exasperation and being the redhead step child of the company is amusing.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2022, 01:26:48 AM »
Wags

Other than Roman, I can argue a case for virtually every character being in my top three. I have to throw out some love to Geri for helping make Roman be Roman. Their “relationship” provided one of my all time favorite TV lines and she gets props for that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2022, 07:17:03 AM »
Good conversation about Succession. Agree with Jockey about its growing place in history. Already a top-6 all-time HBO drama for me, along with Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Deadwood and Game of Thrones. That's some pretty good company, and I'd probably place it higher than a few of those if I thought about it.

First two seasons, I really liked Shiv but I don't think they did her character arc any favors in S3. Conversely, Tom's arc really improved, right to the last moments of the season - loved it! Acting doesn't get much better than Jeremy Strong in S3, though it's impossible to "like" Kendall. Roman is always fun; who knew Kieran Culkin could act? Logan is great, and superbly acted. Connor ... perfectly pathetic. Greg had a good season, really showed some onions. A lot of the more minor characters are wonderful - Willa, Geri, Frank, Stewy, Lawrence, etc.

As for Ozark ...

We finished S4 last night. I really liked the series. It's not an all-timer for me by any means, but we always looked forward to the next episode. Julia Garner is one of the best performers in the world -- loved her ever since she was teenage Kimmie infatuated with Philip on The Americans -- and she had another incredible season as Ruth.

Agree with Wags about Marty; Bateman was at his best in S4. And while pretty much hating Wendy -- as we were supposed to -- I appreciated Linney's portrayal of her more as the series went on. I thought the actor who played Omar Navarro was very good. Again, some of the not-quite-major characters were great, especially Darlene, but also Sam and Helen (not in S4, obviously). I never loved or really bought into the kids' role in the whole thing, and didn't think they were especially gifted actors. And I'm not a big fan of John-boy Walton.

I also agree with those who say it's tough to watch more than 1 or 2 episodes in a row. We're not big binge-watchers anyway, but an hour of Ozark was usually plenty!

And because we had to watch an episode of it every night, now we're 1 week behind on both BCS and Barry. We'll solve that "problem" tonight!

Psyched for the returns of Stranger Things, Hacks and especially The Boys (my favorite show right now, along with Succession). And I'm looking forward to Obi-wan Kenobi, too; I hope Disney gets it right.

Damn, we all watch too much TV ... but at least it's good TV!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback