[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 122287 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #950 on: August 05, 2022, 07:47:05 AM »

Yep. Last year they won 95 games, had the second seed in the NL, and lost to a hot Braves team that went on to win the World Series. I understand the playoffs have expanded, but they have made them just as much in the last four years as the rest of the franchise's seasons combined. And have lost to the eventual WS champion in the last three years.

The incessant whining about the owner is something.  Bring back the Selig family to run things. 

Analytic run front offices aren’t swayed by public opinion very often. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #951 on: August 05, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »
The incessant whining about the owner is something.  Bring back the Selig family to run things. 

Analytic run front offices aren’t swayed by public opinion very often.

Or a single series against the Pirates. I still think the Brewers have a great shot at the division and am not going to write off the new arms for a bad outing or two to start.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #952 on: August 05, 2022, 09:16:12 AM »
SmAlL mArKeT!!

God, does anyone ever stop with this argument

No because it doesn't stop being relevant? Its not an argument, its an explanation.  Yes they could spend more and I suspect they will, but the margin for error in a small market is razor thin. The Yelich contract vs performance cuts that margin to next to zero.

This.  Attanasio has demonstrated a willingness to operate in the red so long as the front office picks their spots.  Keeping the status quo in 2022 wouldn't have been smart spot picking.

IMO, the real death knell for Hader's future in MKE was that he doesn't want to pitch more than one inning.  If he was still willing to go two innings every third outing like 2019 and 2020, you can squint hard enough to think about starting next season with him on the payroll.  His utility in that role is even greater under the new extra inning roles.  But once he started expressing that he didn't want to do that anymore, a Brewers team paying Christian Yelich $26M just can't pay Hader $14M. 

FWIW, I know arb raises will eat into payroll next year, but I think the Burnes-Woody-Peralta Brewers still have one or two big splashes in them.  Between Hader (not counting Roger's replacement '22 salary), Wong, McCutcheon, and Narvaez, $33M comes off the books next year - and those four players have a combined 2022 WAR of 3.4 so far.  Average free agent cost for 1 WAR is $5.5M, so if the front office deploys that money well, the next couple years still look bright.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #953 on: August 05, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »
Went to Globe Life last night for Sox/Rangers. Fantastic ballpark, tv doesn’t do it justice for how nice it is. Texas Live complex outside the ballpark is awesome, very well done.

Earlier this summer went to Great American Ballpark, and was extremely impressed.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #954 on: August 05, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »
No because it doesn't stop being relevant? Its not an argument, its an explanation.  Yes they could spend more and I suspect they will, but the margin for error in a small market is razor thin. The Yelich contract vs performance cuts that margin to next to zero.

This.  Attanasio has demonstrated a willingness to operate in the red so long as the front office picks their spots.  Keeping the status quo in 2022 wouldn't have been smart spot picking.

IMO, the real death knell for Hader's future in MKE was that he doesn't want to pitch more than one inning.  If he was still willing to go two innings every third outing like 2019 and 2020, you can squint hard enough to think about starting next season with him on the payroll.  His utility in that role is even greater under the new extra inning roles.  But once he started expressing that he didn't want to do that anymore, a Brewers team paying Christian Yelich $26M just can't pay Hader $14M. 

FWIW, I know arb raises will eat into payroll next year, but I think the Burnes-Woody-Peralta Brewers still have one or two big splashes in them.  Between Hader (not counting Roger's replacement '22 salary), Wong, McCutcheon, and Narvaez, $33M comes off the books next year - and those four players have a combined 2022 WAR of 3.4 so far.  Average free agent cost for 1 WAR is $5.5M, so if the front office deploys that money well, the next couple years still look bright.

Hader forced their hands when he decided he was an one-inning pitcher.  Oddly, I believe it was in arbitration where he decided he was better served pitching one inning.  My memory could be fuzzy on that but I think that was let of the reasoning.  I don’t begrudge him in that regard. 

I’m team tear it down and let the fanbase reap what they sow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #955 on: August 05, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »
Hader forced their hands when he decided he was an one-inning pitcher.  Oddly, I believe it was in arbitration where he decided he was better served pitching one inning.  My memory could be fuzzy on that but I think that was let of the reasoning.  I don’t begrudge him in that regard. 

I’m team tear it down and let the fanbase reap what they sow

I’m not sure it was explicitly that, but I think that’s the thought behind it. I think it was told to the press that they can use him in more games and he likes the routine of knowing when he’s going to pitch.

I agree, he’s far less valuable just as a guy that will pitch for 3 outs when the Brewers are up 1-3 runs. That’s why I’m hoping Counsell goes back to the way he managed the bullpen earlier in his career.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #956 on: August 05, 2022, 09:48:20 AM »
I’m not sure it was explicitly that, but I think that’s the thought behind it. I think it was told to the press that they can use him in more games and he likes the routine of knowing when he’s going to pitch.

I agree, he’s far less valuable just as a guy that will pitch for 3 outs when the Brewers are up 1-3 runs. That’s why I’m hoping Counsell goes back to the way he managed the bullpen earlier in his career.

Managing the bullpen from the couch has been an incredibly lucrative pastime for beer companies

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #957 on: August 05, 2022, 10:26:06 AM »
I understand the move. I actually agree with it. But they clearly underestimated the impact it would have on the clubhouse.

If the return was much better than what they could get after the season (barring Hader going full Turnbow) I'd be fine with the move. I don't think it was, and the clubhouse impact makes it a negative at this point.

Last year they won 95 games, had the second seed in the NL, and lost to a hot Braves team that went on to win the World Series. I understand the playoffs have expanded, but they have made them just as much in the last four years as the rest of the franchise's seasons combined. And have lost to the eventual WS champion in the last three years.

While true, I think a lot of us are frustrated with the fact that they really didn't address what has bitten them in the playoffs. And it wasn't the pitching. Realistically, there's a year, maybe two left in this window with Burnes and Woodruff. If there's a time to go for it, it's now. Instead we hear Mark in spring training say they really stretched for 35 year old, .7 WAR Andrew McCutchen.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #958 on: August 05, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
Went to Globe Life last night for Sox/Rangers. Fantastic ballpark, tv doesn’t do it justice for how nice it is. Texas Live complex outside the ballpark is awesome, very well done.

Earlier this summer went to Great American Ballpark, and was extremely impressed.
I agree with all your favorable impressions of Globe Life.
Actually, except for the lack of a roof and the oppressive mid summer heat in DFW, I also enjoyed the Ballpark in Arlington..

However, ....

Globe Life is my no 1 current pet peeve for TV watching. ON TV... As you look in from pitcher to home plate (main camera) the background, first few rows behind the plate are  bar tables and fans catered with food, booze and socializing. Maybe 1 in 4 is actually watching the game. Very weird to watch the game and have this table bar plaza party in the same tv frame
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:07:45 PM by HouWarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #959 on: August 07, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »
Brewers bullpen = complete weeklong meltdown against 2 of the worst teams in baseball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #960 on: August 07, 2022, 05:28:00 PM »
Hitters suck major ass too. They are done. Wouldn't shock me if they finished below .500. Attanasio succeeded in giving away their All-Star closer for essentially zero and broke the spirit of his team. Might as well peddle the rest of their asses, hey?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:28:47 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #961 on: August 07, 2022, 06:06:38 PM »
Hitters suck major ass too. They are done. Wouldn't shock me if they finished below .500. Attanasio succeeded in giving away their All-Star closer for essentially zero and breaker the spirit of his team. Might as well peddle the rest of their asses, hey?

5 hits at home against the reds pitching...ouch!  that musta been a real treat to watch on a sunday afternoon
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #962 on: August 07, 2022, 06:41:06 PM »
5 hits at home against the reds pitching...ouch!  that musta been a real treat to watch on a sunday afternoon

You know as little about baseball as you do about politics. Ashcraft, Sanmartin, and Diaz are all very nice rookies.
The Reds just tore down the team and will probably lose 100 games, but they have a few spots of talent.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #963 on: August 07, 2022, 07:13:35 PM »
Hard for me to blame the bullpen for this loss. The ball that went over Renfroe's head should have been caught. The runs the Reds scored in the 10th were due to a fielding error on a weakly hit ground back.  Hitting into the DP with zero outs in the ninth was completely deflating.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #964 on: August 07, 2022, 09:26:49 PM »
You know as little about baseball as you do about politics. Ashcraft, Sanmartin, and Diaz are all very nice rookies.
The Reds just tore down the team and will probably lose 100 games, but they have a few spots of talent.

the mutation azzhat just can't help himself once again...i don't see the correlation between this and politics, but nice try. the brewers still only had 5 hits against the reds pitching, right azzhat?  i don't really care how nice their rookies are...
don't...don't don't don't don't

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #965 on: August 07, 2022, 09:37:54 PM »
The MLB season now comes with an asterisk after the complete hose job done to the Twins today
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #966 on: August 07, 2022, 10:24:10 PM »
the mutation azzhat just can't help himself once again...i don't see the correlation between this and politics, but nice try. the brewers still only had 5 hits against the reds pitching, right azzhat?  i don't really care how nice their rookies are...

Always such a class act.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #967 on: August 08, 2022, 07:57:35 AM »
So much for the Padres putting fear into the Dodgers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #968 on: August 08, 2022, 08:39:05 AM »
Always such a class act.
Well you did poke the bear by bringing his political beliefs into it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #969 on: August 08, 2022, 12:58:13 PM »
What's wrong with calling mutaman an azzhat?  He's proven that over many, many years.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #970 on: August 08, 2022, 04:12:08 PM »
What's wrong with calling mutaman an azzhat?  He's proven that over many, many years.

What does it mean? I'm not familiar with the language of "Cracker".

panda

• All American
« Reply #971 on: August 08, 2022, 04:29:43 PM »

Lol nice

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #972 on: August 09, 2022, 02:26:37 PM »
White Sox already problematic season with more bad news - Tim Anderson out 4-6 weeks (so virtually the season) with a torn ligament in his hand/thumb..

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #973 on: August 09, 2022, 03:48:36 PM »
Chris Sale misses the first three months with an injury (and a non related second injury that delayed his return), pitches 5.2 innings, gets hits with a comebacker and breaks his pinky, has an outside chance of returning this season, then breaks his wrist riding his bike. I think the Red Sox should wrap him in bubble wrap until Spring Training
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #974 on: August 09, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »
Chris Sale misses the first three months with an injury (and a non related second injury that delayed his return), pitches 5.2 innings, gets hits with a comebacker and breaks his pinky, has an outside chance of returning this season, then breaks his wrist riding his bike. I think the Red Sox should wrap him in bubble wrap until Spring Training

Peddle his azz