collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22  (Read 80892 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22
« Reply #600 on: December 23, 2021, 07:34:21 AM »
Blazers.  McCollum is on the books at $30.9M and their PF situation is Covington/Larry Nance, neither of whom are a long term solution.  If anyone is not interesting in a scoring guard in the lottery, it’s the Blazers
Except if they trade CJ , which is a big rumor. Not sure if his friend is with Portland, but many of the Mock Drafts have Portland taking a SG (nabdraft.net, Yahoo) and this one:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951341-2022-nba-mock-draft-updated-1st-round-predictions

I believe many of these sites just slot best available player, but thought that one was kind of funny.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #601 on: December 29, 2021, 09:08:40 PM »
Two complete horsebleep calls at the Kohl.  Absolutely inexcusable.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #602 on: January 03, 2022, 07:52:55 PM »
There is.a 0.000000% chance Johnny Davis will be back next year with the weasel/rodents.  No question he's a lottery pick.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #603 on: January 03, 2022, 08:06:16 PM »
There is.a 0.000000% chance Johnny Davis will be back next year with the weasel/rodents.  No question he's a lottery pick.
37 points/13 boards at Purdue.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:19:13 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #604 on: January 03, 2022, 08:06:44 PM »
Ivey might have the potential to be better

But Johnny Davis is astronomically better at the collegiate level right now
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #605 on: January 03, 2022, 08:19:54 PM »
I just caught the last 10 mins but the truth is Whisky is basically a one man show.  The guy has been that good and they really don't have much else. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #606 on: January 03, 2022, 08:33:08 PM »
The Davis brothers combined for 37p & 16r tonight. Impressive!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #607 on: January 03, 2022, 08:36:29 PM »

He gone
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #608 on: January 03, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »

Yes. As a few of us have been saying since November, he's a pro.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #609 on: January 04, 2022, 12:34:12 AM »
Johnny Davis made the biggest one year leap I can remember.  Even bigger than Jimmy Butler's sophomore to junior year leap.

After Wisconsin beat us, I predicted Davis would be a lottery pick. After tonight, he's top 10 with a legit chance to go top 5.

Player comps: Devin Booker, Ron Harper, Allan Houston

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #610 on: January 04, 2022, 08:59:14 AM »
Johnny Davis made the biggest one year leap I can remember.  Even bigger than Jimmy Butler's sophomore to junior year leap.

After Wisconsin beat us, I predicted Davis would be a lottery pick. After tonight, he's top 10 with a legit chance to go top 5.

Player comps: Devin Booker, Ron Harper, Allan Houston

Ill eat my hat if he goes top 5.

Harper was way more explosive as a college player than Davis is. Dude could fly.

Booker was and is a better shooter. 

Davis doesn’t have a dangerous outside shot to speak of and I don’t see how a SG with decent but not great size and decent but not great overall athleticism goes that high without being a sniper from deep as well.

Allan Houston isn’t a bad comp actually

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #611 on: January 04, 2022, 09:20:31 AM »
Yep, especially since one of the teams does not have him on their radar.

Just busting your chops a little. I don't think he's a Top 5 guy either, but then again I am behind a keyboard, and not qualified to really make that call.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #612 on: January 04, 2022, 10:08:24 AM »

Harper was way more explosive as a college player than Davis is. Dude could fly.

Booker was and is a better shooter. 

Davis doesn’t have a dangerous outside shot to speak of and I don’t see how a SG with decent but not great size and decent but not great overall athleticism goes that high without being a sniper from deep as well.

Allan Houston isn’t a bad comp actually

Will be interesting to see how Davis fares in the NBA.  He is not a great outside shooter, but can hit them at a decent clip.  I wouldn't call his athleticism elite but his first step is so quick and he gets off the ground in a hurry when he jumps.  At this level he has shown he can get to his spots whenever he wants.  His midrange game is really, really good and his defense is outstanding.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »
Will be interesting to see how Davis fares in the NBA.  He is not a great outside shooter, but can hit them at a decent clip.  I wouldn't call his athleticism elite but his first step is so quick and he gets off the ground in a hurry when he jumps.  At this level he has shown he can get to his spots whenever he wants.  His midrange game is really, really good and his defense is outstanding.

He got hype coming out of the U-19 last summer.  I think he should turn pro now and get ready for the draft 😂
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »

Not quite as tall, but reminds me some of DeRozan. Quicker than he looks, plenty athletic enough, smooth, very reliable midrange game, good defender.

And it's not like he's a brick-layer from 3 -- .389 last season on limited attempts but still .348 this year on 4.2 attempts per game. That's not eye-popping, but it's solid and it's something to work with at the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis becomes a decent 3-point shooter. When Jae was BEast POY as a senior, he shot .345 on 5.1 attempts ... and now, one of the NBA's best teams uses him as a spot-up shooter.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #615 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:28 AM »
A smaller DeRozan is another comparison I thought of.

Jon Rothstein tweeted the Houston comparison and it instantly clicked for me.  Houston was a much better shooter, but Davis profiles very closely.

Size and athleticism are similar, both are good defenders, solid midrange and post game.  Shooting is the only real question, but Davis is already serviceable.

If Davis keeps developing and becomes a much better shooter, Booker is the comparison for a best case scenario.  Good, not great, athletes that just know how to get to their spots and score.  Intelligence, craftiness, little wasted motion.  Davis has a swagger that just makes me confident he hasn't peaked.

If he doesn't develop his jumper, a less athletic Ron Harper makes sense. A slashing scorer and good defender, like Harper was for the Cavs and Clippers (pre-injuries).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2022, 11:28:19 AM »
Not quite as tall, but reminds me some of DeRozan. Quicker than he looks, plenty athletic enough, smooth, very reliable midrange game, good defender.

And it's not like he's a brick-layer from 3 -- .389 last season on limited attempts but still .348 this year on 4.2 attempts per game. That's not eye-popping, but it's solid and it's something to work with at the next level. I wouldn't be surprised if Davis becomes a decent 3-point shooter. When Jae was BEast POY as a senior, he shot .345 on 5.1 attempts ... and now, one of the NBA's best teams uses him as a spot-up shooter.

And the Bucks thank them for that!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #617 on: January 04, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »
As far as the top 5 goes, I know it will be difficult to crack but not impossible.  Smith, Banchero, and Holmgren seem like a lock to go top 3.

After that, it gets interesting.  There's probably 5 or 6 players competing for the other top 5 spots. The next group in my eyes:

Jaden Ivey
Kendall Brown
Jalen Duren
Johnny Davis
AJ Griffin
Benedict Mathurin

It will depend on how the season plays out and which teams end up drafting top 5. Team needs could dictate the draft order.  Some teams might prefer Davis more than others, depending on their internal draft rankings and needs.  We shall see.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #618 on: January 04, 2022, 11:37:21 AM »
Going off on a tangent, it's crazy to look back at the 2018 WIAA State Tournament. Players at state included Tyrese Haliburton, Jalen Johnson, Patrick Baldwin, Michael Foster, and Johnny Davis. Next year all five will be in the NBA.

And Tyler Herro wasn't even there!  Quite a year for Wisconsin HS basketball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »
Wendell Moore might be another top 10 candidate.  He's having an excellent year. Even though he's a junior, Moore is still only 20 (6-7 months older than Davis).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »

At this level, he reminds me of Wade. He can get a bucket whenever he wants and he has the ability to be a game changer on both ends of the floor. He isn't the athlete Dwyane was, but he has size on him.

As far as the NBA level and his shot, the other thing to look at is free throw percentage. Evaluators like to look at FT% as an indicator that even if a player isn't a great long-range shooter, they have the tools to learn it. Davis was a respectable 72.7% last year and is a strong 82.1% at the stripe this year. At this point, he's definite lottery and trending up. I think he's in the mix for top-5 and unless his stock slides, he won't last past 10.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
At this level, he reminds me of Wade. He can get a bucket whenever he wants and he has the ability to be a game changer on both ends of the floor. He isn't the athlete Dwyane was, but he has size on him.

As far as the NBA level and his shot, the other thing to look at is free throw percentage. Evaluators like to look at FT% as an indicator that even if a player isn't a great long-range shooter, they have the tools to learn it. Davis was a respectable 72.7% last year and is a strong 82.1% at the stripe this year. At this point, he's definite lottery and trending up. I think he's in the mix for top-5 and unless his stock slides, he won't last past 10.

I thought of Wade, but like you said Davis isn't that elite level of athlete. Wade also had a better handle, was a better passer, and was a very good shot blocker.

But another Davis player comp I saw on line is Jeremy Lamb.  I'd say that's probably his floor, with Allan Houston as a realistic ceiling, and an outside chance of being as good as Devin Booker.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #622 on: January 04, 2022, 02:37:52 PM »
I thought of Wade, but like you said Davis isn't that elite level of athlete. Wade also had a better handle, was a better passer, and was a very good shot blocker.

But another Davis player comp I saw on line is Jeremy Lamb.  I'd say that's probably his floor, with Allan Houston as a realistic ceiling, and an outside chance of being as good as Devin Booker.

The shot-blocking for Wade was other-worldly, and that's what I meant when I said Davis was a difference maker on that end of the floor. Different from Wade, but in terms of what they do I think they are similar, even if exactly how they do it is different. I also think their meaning to their teams is similar. Wade leaves Marquette and we go to back-to-back NITs. Not sure what will happen to UW without Davis, but right now they are a one-man team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #623 on: January 04, 2022, 03:35:01 PM »
The shot-blocking for Wade was other-worldly, and that's what I meant when I said Davis was a difference maker on that end of the floor. Different from Wade, but in terms of what they do I think they are similar, even if exactly how they do it is different. I also think their meaning to their teams is similar. Wade leaves Marquette and we go to back-to-back NITs. Not sure what will happen to UW without Davis, but right now they are a one-man team.

Wow just gonna ignore the fact that odarty blankson would have stayed and we win the natty?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #624 on: January 04, 2022, 10:40:21 PM »
Buzz over Crean at the buzzer tonight

feedback