[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22  (Read 80206 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22
« Reply #650 on: January 06, 2022, 11:13:27 AM »
If you’re picking in the top 5, you really should pick best available unless you have can’t miss players and most of those teams don’t.  Portland needs to be blown up anyway.  They’re not close

Almost every team drafts this way.  The idea that Portland wouldn't even look at Davis because they have a lot of guards means that the people running Portland's basketball operation are dumb.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #651 on: January 06, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »
Almost every team drafts this way.  The idea that Portland wouldn't even look at Davis because they have a lot of guards means that the people running Portland's basketball operation are dumb.

That’s entirely plausible based on what’s reported about the Portland front office
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #652 on: January 06, 2022, 11:40:17 AM »
If you’re picking in the top 5, you really should pick best available unless you have can’t miss players and most of those teams don’t.  Portland needs to be blown up anyway.  They’re not close

here's what the Athletic had to say. I'm not sure he's "can't miss."

It’s also worth noting that this is where a substantial drop-off occurs in the draft. Scouts I’ve talked to see Davis right now more as a solid lottery-level to mid-first-round guy as opposed to a top-five guy. The problem is, there isn’t really anyone else around whom I’ve gotten the impression scouts see as a top-half-of-the-lottery guy, so Davis falls here for now.

That’s entirely plausible based on what’s reported about the Portland front office

Right now Portland really doesn't have a front office. Absentee owner and an interim GM who isn't going to get the job.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #653 on: January 06, 2022, 11:45:50 AM »

It’s also worth noting that this is where a substantial drop-off occurs in the draft. Scouts I’ve talked to see Davis right now more as a solid lottery-level to mid-first-round guy as opposed to a top-five guy. The problem is, there isn’t really anyone else around whom I’ve gotten the impression scouts see as a top-half-of-the-lottery guy, so Davis falls here for now.

Right now Portland really doesn't have a front office. Absentee owner and an interim GM who isn't going to get the job.

I agree that he isn’t can’t miss.  He’s improved dramatically but 🤷🏼‍♂️. 

General thought is to take best available talent and if that was Davis, take Davis.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #654 on: January 06, 2022, 11:48:27 AM »

You have to quote the Athletic and not your friend, since Davis isn't on his radar?
Sorry, that was the low hanging fruit. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #655 on: January 06, 2022, 11:54:49 AM »

I'd totally agree that Davis isn't a can't-miss guy. When I called him a stud, I was talking about at the college level.

I think "solid" is a good word to describe him when projecting pro potential. If he develops a reliable NBA 3-point stroke, improves his handle and lands in the right situation, he could have a pretty high ceiling, but that's a lot of ifs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #656 on: January 06, 2022, 09:07:23 PM »
I'd totally agree that Davis isn't a can't-miss guy. When I called him a stud, I was talking about at the college level.

I think "solid" is a good word to describe him when projecting pro potential. If he develops a reliable NBA 3-point stroke, improves his handle and lands in the right situation, he could have a pretty high ceiling, but that's a lot of ifs.

Agreed.  But right now he's probably CPOY.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #657 on: January 06, 2022, 09:35:06 PM »
Wow, Johnny Davis is at it again.

Give Gard a ton of credit for really coaching the guy up.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #658 on: January 06, 2022, 10:05:16 PM »

They certainly try to, but NBA teams make mistakes all the time.

And Portland definitely sounds dysfunctional, so I'm not going to die on a hill defending them.

I agree, Portland needs to be blown up. But I also think the front office isn't ready to do it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #659 on: January 06, 2022, 10:30:35 PM »
Wow, Johnny Davis is at it again.

Give Gard a ton of credit for really coaching the guy up.

Was it Gard or was it playing/practicing all summer with the US team?

Markus made huge strides each off season and I don’t think it was Wojo coaching him up/developing him

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #660 on: January 07, 2022, 05:17:11 AM »
Was it Gard or was it playing/practicing all summer with the US team?

Markus made huge strides each off season and I don’t think it was Wojo coaching him up/developing him

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/jim-polzin-why-johnny-davis-showing-up-on-nba-radar-is-a-win-win-for/article_b0aa962e-5724-53c6-99e1-711c20e3d5f2.html

Wasn’t Greg Gard

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #661 on: January 07, 2022, 09:41:57 AM »
K chasing down a Georgia Tech player during a timeout for pointing at his bench was hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #662 on: January 08, 2022, 09:07:43 PM »
Miami won at Duke.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #663 on: January 11, 2022, 10:30:03 PM »
Fun night for college hoops.

The last two unbeaten teams -- Baylor and USC -- lost. Baylor blew a 15-point lead at home in falling to Texas Tech. USC lost on the road to unranked Stanford. Auburn survived Bama and Kansas topped Iowa State in two down-to-the wire games. Chris Beard's Longhorns beat Porter Moser's Sooners by 14.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #664 on: January 12, 2022, 12:36:18 AM »
Auburn is really damn good.  Pearl’s best team there, Final Four squad included.  3 really good transfers, plus Jabari Smith. They withstood a furious Bama rally and then somehow won a slugfest in the last 3 min on the road.  Rough as nails

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #665 on: January 12, 2022, 06:24:56 AM »

The last two unbeaten teams -- Baylor and USC -- lost. Baylor blew a 15-point lead at home in falling to Texas Tech. USC lost on the road to unranked Stanford. Auburn survived Bama and Kansas topped Iowa State in two down-to-the wire games. Chris Beard's Longhorns beat Porter Moser's Sooners by 14.

Iowa St got completely screwed last night.  They botched a clear goaltending not to mention two very questionable calls that gave KU 4 free throws down the stretch.  I thought they can review goaltending?  Although I'm not sure TJO made a fuss about it. Anyway, they got hosed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #666 on: January 12, 2022, 08:09:51 AM »
Iowa St got completely screwed last night.  They botched a clear goaltending not to mention two very questionable calls that gave KU 4 free throws down the stretch.  I thought they can review goaltending?  Although I'm not sure TJO made a fuss about it. Anyway, they got hosed.

I didn't see the goaltending situation. IIRC refs can't review a NON-call, only a call. And maybe if TJO didn't make a fuss about it, it wasn't what you thought?

I'm also guessing Iowa State had opportunities to win but didn't take advantage of them. Games are very, very, very rarely decided by the refs.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #667 on: January 12, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »

If the goaltend had been on the final basket maybe you could say they were screwed, but as 82 said, there were other opportunities to win (maybe get a stop on KU's final two possessions). And, of course KU is going to get questionable calls at the Phog, it always happens. I hope the Clones can get some revenge at Hilton.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #668 on: January 12, 2022, 12:08:06 PM »

in an empty arena, no less.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #669 on: January 12, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
in an empty arena, no less.

I was thinking about it.  Outside the benefit of not having a raucous crowd with a decidedly home court advantage, I'm not so sure the empty stadium helps the road team.  Empty echoing gym makes it hard to feel like a normal game and makes it ever more clear that you're in a foreign arena and nothing to feed off of.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #670 on: January 12, 2022, 12:53:28 PM »
Auburn is really damn good.  Pearl’s best team there, Final Four squad included.  3 really good transfers, plus Jabari Smith. They withstood a furious Bama rally and then somehow won a slugfest in the last 3 min on the road.  Rough as nails

I've had them as a 1-seed for a couple weeks now and think they might deserve the #1 ranking as well. Their win over LSU is the best win any of the 1-loss teams have and their only loss, UConn on a neutral, is also probably the best loss of any 1-loss teams. Their 9 Q1+2 wins are more than any other team (Wisconsin has 8, no one else has more than 7). That team is loaded and a legit national title contender.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #671 on: January 12, 2022, 01:03:25 PM »
I was thinking about it.  Outside the benefit of not having a raucous crowd with a decidedly home court advantage, I'm not so sure the empty stadium helps the road team.  Empty echoing gym makes it hard to feel like a normal game and makes it ever more clear that you're in a foreign arena and nothing to feed off of.

agreed. It's like practice for the home team.

Thought Stanford rarely fills the place and the student section is too concerned about getting back to their dorms to study to cheer loud.

I've had them as a 1-seed for a couple weeks now and think they might deserve the #1 ranking as well. Their win over LSU is the best win any of the 1-loss teams have and their only loss, UConn on a neutral, is also probably the best loss of any 1-loss teams. Their 9 Q1+2 wins are more than any other team (Wisconsin has 8, no one else has more than 7). That team is loaded and a legit national title contender.

You get what you pay for.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #672 on: January 12, 2022, 04:01:23 PM »

I'm interested to see what Adams does at Tech and how Beard does without him.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #673 on: January 12, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »
I'm interested to see what Adams does at Tech and how Beard does without him.

Interested in the former, but Beard will be fine.  He was a successful coach at all random levels before joining up with Adams at UALR and I have trouble chalking up too much of his quick success at TTU to just a talented assistant.  Especially since he'll be able to recruit better and easier at Texas.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #674 on: January 13, 2022, 10:12:10 AM »
Interested in the former, but Beard will be fine.  He was a successful coach at all random levels before joining up with Adams at UALR and I have trouble chalking up too much of his quick success at TTU to just a talented assistant.  Especially since he'll be able to recruit better and easier at Texas.
Yeah I'm not saying Beard will be a flop at UT and his defense is still awesome, but sometimes those assistants can make a difference.

feedback