[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22  (Read 79201 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NCAA Hoops Thread '21-22
« Reply #625 on: January 04, 2022, 10:42:02 PM »
Buzz over Crean at the buzzer tonight

Crean's guys just kept backing up on the final play and gave up a wide-open, game-winning 3. Bad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #626 on: January 04, 2022, 11:16:01 PM »
Not sure what will happen to UW without Davis, but right now they are a one-man team.

Brew, I've read similar comments here on Scoop for years and years.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #627 on: January 05, 2022, 12:48:47 AM »
Crean's guys just kept backing up on the final play and gave up a wide-open, game-winning 3. Bad.

Sounds like the Stanford game

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #628 on: January 05, 2022, 08:39:56 AM »
Brew, I've read similar comments here on Scoop for years and years.

Yes, but I don't know if they have ever been this reliant on one guy before.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #629 on: January 05, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
Both Jake Laravia and Alondes Williams (Rufus King HS) @ Wake Forest are fun to watch IMO.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #630 on: January 05, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »
Both Jake Laravia and Alondes Williams (Rufus King HS) @ Wake Forest are fun to watch IMO.

Alondes went to Riverside

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #631 on: January 05, 2022, 12:02:48 PM »
Sounds like the Stanford game

huh? Burke couldn't have played much better defense on Brook Lopez. Lopez was behind the backboard and falling out of bounds when he shot it over Burke. I've never been more upset after a MU game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFpROg5G_Jc
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #632 on: January 05, 2022, 12:25:13 PM »
huh? Burke couldn't have played much better defense on Brook Lopez. Lopez was behind the backboard and falling out of bounds when he shot it over Burke. I've never been more upset after a MU game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFpROg5G_Jc

Crean chose not to pressure the two mediocre Stanford guards out of the time out even though he had three of the best defensive guards in MU history. He played hunker down defense with a 6'8" center to defend the AA center. Stupido.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #633 on: January 05, 2022, 12:39:17 PM »
Crean chose not to pressure the two mediocre Stanford guards out of the time out even though he had three of the best defensive guards in MU history. He played hunker down defense with a 6'8" center to defend the AA center. Stupido.

six years ago I worked with Mitch Johnson (the PG who had 16 assists) and we talked about that game. The play was always going to Lopez, there was no second option. Unless we're talking about a previous play. DJ was on Johnson pretty closely, picking him up at mid-court. Ooze would have been better defensive option if he hadn't fouled out. Chalk that up to Crean's inability to bring in a strong defensive big, I guess.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #634 on: January 05, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »

And he's about to get fired from Georgia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #635 on: January 05, 2022, 01:18:04 PM »
Alondes went to Riverside

I stand by the rest of my post lol

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #636 on: January 05, 2022, 02:13:03 PM »
New NBA mock draft from John Wasserman at Bleacher Report:

5. Johnny Davis
48. Justin Lewis

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #637 on: January 05, 2022, 02:20:45 PM »

5. Johnny Davis
48. Justin Lewis

Should someone let Billy's friend know?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #638 on: January 05, 2022, 02:47:14 PM »

5. Johnny Davis
48. Justin Lewis

Bleacher Report isn't exactly the height of sports journalism.  Its basically Buzzfeed for sports

Glad we're still manipulating a statement that likely had truth in it into some cheap laughs

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #639 on: January 05, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »
Glad we're still manipulating a statement that likely had truth in it into some cheap laughs
Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight in defending him! It's one of those statements that didn't age well.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #640 on: January 05, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »
Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight in defending him! It's one of those statements that didn't age well.

I’m not defending him. From the jump I saw it as an innocuous statement that everyone went after like the dude was either lying or the front office guy was an idiot.  And Davis going in the lottery does nothing to change it.

Plenty of front office statements or opinions don’t age well.  That doesnt mean they were patently absurd when they were made.  Davis is really good, but I still don’t think he’s a “can’t pass up” talent for a team that doesn’t need an SG.

I still stand by its people having more of an issue with Billy’s other posts and they wouldn’t have went HAM on it if Dish or other pro sports connected posters said it

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #641 on: January 05, 2022, 09:16:40 PM »
Not that it matters but St. Bonny has gotten throttled their last two games.  I did warn their fans that they should wait for the season to play out before anointing them a F4 team.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #642 on: January 05, 2022, 11:44:53 PM »

Not a need nor reasonable pick for them (and they’ll be lower). But I’m flattered you remain obsessed. I’ll pass on your thoughts to him.

He said he’ll be checking out JLew soon with some other possible second rounders from the BE.mLikes his versatility and motor, hopes he can improve his range.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 11:56:11 PM by Billy Hoyle »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2022, 07:48:14 AM »
Not a need nor reasonable pick for them (and they’ll be lower).  But I’m flattered you remain obsessed.

Portland didn't think Michael Jordan was a need for them. 

And I am obsessed because this entire story has been bullsh*t from the beginning.  Supposedly this friend wasn't considering him because they are only looking at the top 10, and now he's too high for them? 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:51:09 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »
Not a need nor reasonable pick for them (and they’ll be lower). But I’m flattered you remain obsessed. I’ll pass on your thoughts to him.

He said he’ll be checking out JLew soon with some other possible second rounders from the BE.mLikes his versatility and motor, hopes he can improve his range.

Thanks for the info, Billy.  Don't let the haters get you down.

I realize that you can't disclose too much about your friend's team.  I definitely don't have enough info to pass judgement on their team situation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2022, 09:50:35 AM »
Ah, reliable Scoop bickering.

All that matters is that Davis is a stud, as a few of us said 2 months ago, and that Marquette won't have to deal with him again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2022, 09:59:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, Billy.  Don't let the haters get you down.

What info?  The guy he claimed to be in a personnel department who said that Davis wasn't on their radar?  Gimme a break...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #647 on: January 06, 2022, 10:23:14 AM »

What info?  The guy he claimed to be in a personnel department who said that Davis wasn't on their radar?  Gimme a break...

If Billy's friend does work for Portland (as one Scooper surmised), then I understand why they wouldn't be in the market for a SG.

CJ McCollum, Norman Powell, and Anfernee Simmons are all good players.  Unless Portland became convinced Davis was a can't miss All-Star, then I can understand why they would target a different position, particularly forwards.

Maybe passing on Davis would be a mistake, but NBA teams make mistakes all the time.

PS- Davis has had such a meteoric rise this season, going from someone not expected to even enter the draft to a lottery projection.  I'm sure he was off the radar of most teams at the start of the year, but Davis played his way onto the radar.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 10:35:44 AM by Juan Anderson's Mixtape »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2022, 10:24:46 AM »
New 2 round mock draft from USA today has Johnny Davis at 5.  No Justin Lewis.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2022, 11:09:16 AM »
If Billy's friend does work for Portland (as one Scooper surmised), then I understand why they wouldn't be in the market for a SG.

CJ McCollum, Norman Powell, and Anfernee Simmons are all good players.  Unless Portland became convinced Davis was a can't miss All-Star, then I can understand why they would target a different position, particularly forwards.

Maybe passing on Davis would be a mistake, but NBA teams make mistakes all the time.

PS- Davis has had such a meteoric rise this season, going from someone not expected to even enter the draft to a lottery projection.  I'm sure he was off the radar of most teams at the start of the year, but Davis played his way onto the radar.

If you’re picking in the top 5, you really should pick best available unless you have can’t miss players and most of those teams don’t.  Portland needs to be blown up anyway.  They’re not close
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”