[Today at 10:43:30 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 210962 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #2075 on: March 29, 2022, 11:00:34 AM »
If you think I've suggested you condone violence, then I've worded my posts poorly, or you're misreading them.
I don't believe you or shoot are condoning violence. But I do think when you suggest violence is a natural consequence of telling a joke - even an offensive one - in a comedic setting, then you're normalizing that behavior.
Normalize and condone are not synonyms.

Yet you seem okay with normalizing a Man making fun of the physical appearance of a Woman, based on your lack of comment given multiple opportunities to do so on thus far. I’m unwilling to normalize that. I’m unwilling to normalize certain verbal behavior, not just physical.

In life, if a Man is going to make fun of the physical appearance of another man’s wife, I’d suggest that man keep his hands up and not lead with his chin. Where he says it doesn’t matter.

I’m not willing to “only” say that violence is not okay. In addition, I don’t believe a person can say anything they want to another person and simply hide behind, oh they were just kidding or oh it’s okay, they are a comedian. Depends on the situation. Words have consequences sometimes. (as do physical actions)

As I said before, a Man making fun of the physical appearance of a Woman is punching down.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2076 on: March 29, 2022, 11:11:06 AM »
Yet you seem okay with normalizing a Man making fun of the physical appearance of a Woman, based on your lack of comment given multiple opportunities to do so on thus far. I’m unwilling to normalize that. I’m unwilling to normalize certain verbal behavior, not just physical.

"Why, why, why, why is it that most of the people who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to f--- in the first place, huh?"
- George Carlin on pro-life women.

What's that you were saying about punching down?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2077 on: March 29, 2022, 11:23:58 AM »
"Why, why, why, why is it that most of the people who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to f--- in the first place, huh?"
- George Carlin on pro-life women.

What's that you were saying about punching down?

1) That comment is not making fun of the physical appearance of a Woman. It isn't specific.

2) It's a generalized category and not a specific person.

3) i am not all things George Carlin. What I did say is that I remember seeing clips of him discussing that topic. So i referenced it.

4) Your silence on the words part of the discussion speaks volumes. You are okay with a man making fun of a the physical appearance a Woman. I am not.

Not sure what else I can say. I'll try to let the tv watchers have their thread back unless there is anything else.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2078 on: March 29, 2022, 11:32:11 AM »
4) Your silence on the words part of the discussion speaks volumes. You are okay with a man making fun of a the physical appearance a Woman. I am not.

Under certain circumstances, sure, it's perfectly fine to poke fun at a person's appearance.
Have you ever seen a roast? Or do you worry you'll break all your pearls from all the clutching?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2079 on: March 29, 2022, 11:41:37 AM »
Under certain circumstances, sure, it's perfectly fine to poke fun at a person's appearance.
Have you ever seen a roast? Or do you worry you'll break all your pearls from all the clutching?

I specifically said that I don't think it's okay for a Man to make fun of a Woman's physical appearance. Would it be okay for me to stand near you and your wife, and make fun of her physical appearance?

And, once again this wasn't the Jada Smith Comedy Roast.

Some words have consequences.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:44:58 AM by shoothoops »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2080 on: March 29, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »

In life, if a Man is going to make fun of the physical appearance of another man’s wife, I’d suggest that man keep his hands up and not lead with his chin. Where he says it doesn’t matter.

I’m not willing to “only” say that violence is not okay. In addition, I don’t believe a person can say anything they want to another person and simply hide behind, oh they were just kidding or oh it’s okay, they are a comedian. Depends on the situation. Words have consequences sometimes. (as do physical actions)

As I said before, a Man making fun of the physical appearance of a Woman is punching down.
Rock was making fun of a haircut. People make fun of people's hairstyles all of the time. It was a joke which is pretty mild on its surface. Not until the alopecia comes up is when it turns bad. Stories are that Rock didnt know of the alopecia. Those that know him would say he would definitely not make fun of a person with a disease. Jada's been known to have some crazy hairstyles. Here's one from 2013

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2081 on: March 29, 2022, 11:51:12 AM »

You keep talking in general terms..."don't believe a person can say anything they want to another person..." and "If a Man is going to make fun of the physical appearance of another man's wife..."

This wasn't just a "person" and this wasn't just a "man" and his "wife". These were celebrities at an awards show. Pakuni doesn't have to normalize what Chris Rock said. It's been normalized for a long, long time. That's what happens on these shows. That's what happens to celebrities. You know what doesn't happen?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2082 on: March 29, 2022, 12:13:15 PM »
And every poster who made fun of Chico's height (or lack thereof).

At least I am safe then. I only made fun of his intellect and his commitment to speaking truthfully.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2083 on: March 29, 2022, 12:15:10 PM »
You keep talking in general terms..."don't believe a person can say anything they want to another person..." and "If a Man is going to make fun of the physical appearance of another man's wife..."

This wasn't just a "person" and this wasn't just a "man" and his "wife". These were celebrities at an awards show. Pakuni doesn't have to normalize what Chris Rock said. It's been normalized for a long, long time. That's what happens on these shows. That's what happens to celebrities. You know what doesn't happen?

My example was pretty specific. Would it be okay for me to meet up with you and your wife so that I can make fun of her physical appearance?

Oh for you it's okay in some cases but not others. Is there a list somewhere?

All people have the same value, no more no less.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2084 on: March 29, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »
My example was pretty specific. Would it be okay for me to meet up with you and your wife so that I can make fun of her physical appearance? 

Because that's very similar to what happened here and context isn't real.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2085 on: March 29, 2022, 12:26:50 PM »

Oh for you it's okay in some cases but not others. Is there a list somewhere?

All people have the same value, no more no less.

Absolutely not. But pay me $20 million per picture, invite me and my celebrity wife to the Oscars, and do it from the stage...I'll deal with it and I won't hit you.

Your refusal to acknowledge context is odd, frankly.

And while I appreciate your "all people have the same value" sentiment, it's not true. You or I would have been arrested and charged for striking the person who made fun of our wives' personal appearance. Will Smith wasn't. I would venture a guess that ultimately Will Smith thinks he's made a good trade: hundreds of millions of dollars and worldwide fame (and all that comes with it...including the ability to hit a celebrity on national television without being charged), but people may poke fun of him and his wife from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:31:35 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2086 on: March 29, 2022, 12:41:07 PM »
At least I am safe then. I only made fun of his intellect and his commitment to speaking truthfully.
I think I made fun of all three. I need to be better.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2087 on: March 29, 2022, 01:03:00 PM »
Because that's very similar to what happened here and context isn't real.

I acknowledge context in every specific example. You were equating the Oscars with a Jada Smith Comedy Roast. That isn’t acknowledging context.

I don’t think it’s okay to say anything you want to a person without possible consequences whether that person makes millions of dollars or very few.

It’s somehow okay to make fun of the physical appearance of someone’s wife because they make a lot of money or are in a movie? Nah.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2088 on: March 29, 2022, 01:15:47 PM »
I acknowledge context in every specific example. You were equating the Oscars with a Jada Smith Comedy Roast. That isn’t acknowledging context.

I don’t think it’s okay to say anything you want to a person without possible consequences whether that person makes millions of dollars or very few.

It’s somehow okay to make fun of the physical appearance of someone’s wife because they make a lot of money or are in a movie? Nah.

No, I wasn't equating the Oscars with anything. I was questioning how your insistence that jokes about a woman's appearance are verboten under all circumstances jibes with the existence of roasts.
And, no, the Oscars isn't a roast, but roasting the celebrities in attendance has been a tradition among hosts of awards shows for decades.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2089 on: March 29, 2022, 03:28:34 PM »
If you think I've suggested you condone violence, then I've worded my posts poorly, or you're misreading them.
I don't believe you or shoot are condoning violence. But I do think when you suggest violence is a natural consequence of telling a joke - even an offensive one - in a comedic setting, then you're normalizing that behavior.
Normalize and condone are not synonyms.

Flatly disagree.  I'm not normalizing anything.  Normalization would require condoning the behavior.  I do not condone violence.

Having said that, there is the distinct reality that every person responds differently to disrespect.  I do not condone the violent response to any behavior, but I accept that others may.  Since my condoning or condemnation has zero impact on their feelings.  I do not have any power to alter people's behavior.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2090 on: March 29, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
Flatly disagree.  I'm not normalizing anything.  Normalization would require condoning the behavior.  I do not condone violence.

Well, I'm not sure where we can go with this discussion if we can't agree that the dictionary definition of a word is what that word means.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2091 on: March 29, 2022, 03:41:54 PM »
Well, I'm not sure where we can go with this discussion if we can't agree that the dictionary definition of a word is what that word means.

If you wish to continue to be pedantic, of course we can't disagree.

What do you think should happen.  Should we lock up Will Smith?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2092 on: March 29, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
If you wish to continue to be pedantic, of course we can't disagree.

What do you think should happen.  Should we lock up Will Smith?

It's pedantic to use words as intended, rather than inventing definitions to suit one's needs?
Hate to be pedantic ... but that's not what pedantic means, either.

What should happen? Nothing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2093 on: March 29, 2022, 04:01:20 PM »
Unless we spin this off into another Will Smith thread, this is my final contribution regarding the matter, but I found it QUITE interesting.  Cause yet again, Scientologists are never not bizarre

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1508450332392976389?s=20&t=WajRzPcwiMH84iETeZRnog

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2094 on: March 29, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
It's pedantic to use words as intended, rather than inventing definitions to suit one's needs?
Hate to be pedantic ... but that's not what pedantic means, either.

What should happen? Nothing.

Ah, so you're normalizing his behavior.  Got it.   ;)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2095 on: March 29, 2022, 06:35:27 PM »

kinda like trying to define woman, eyna?  some things are just hard to nail down
don't...don't don't don't don't