[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318266 times)

goldeneagle91114

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1825 on: February 27, 2023, 10:00:42 AM »
A couple of sites, one being Villanova's premium Scout site, are saying that there are discussions between the Big 12 and Villanova, St John's, and Uconn to join the Big 12 as basketball only schools. Most on the Villanova site indicate it is something VU would have to do if offered.

has anyone else heard this, does this rumor have "legs"? seems like an odd list of Big East Schools to go after. are they only focused on market size/media coverage?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: February 27, 2023, 10:05:40 AM »
has anyone else heard this, does this rumor have "legs"? seems like an odd list of Big East Schools to go after. are they only focused on market size/media coverage?

It was posted on HLOH and on Daytons board (a Dayton poster used their board as a reference).

Idk how much truth there actually is. Probably depends on if you believe the Zags/B12 rumor as that'd be an indicator of the B12's basketball only direction.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1827 on: February 27, 2023, 10:11:30 AM »
It was posted on HLOH and on Daytons board (a Dayton poster used their board as a reference).

Idk how much truth there actually is. Probably depends on if you believe the Zags/B12 rumor as that'd be an indicator of the B12's basketball only direction.

Just not making sense to me. FB is clearly king, as much as we may hate to admit it. I am so fed up with the predatory big conferences! Kolek 'em!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #1828 on: February 27, 2023, 10:20:49 AM »
I wonder how we would all react if the Big 12 invited MU to join along with 'Nova, UConn, etc.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1829 on: February 27, 2023, 10:25:17 AM »
I wonder how we would all react if the Big 12 invited MU to join along with 'Nova, UConn, etc.

Gotta say no to joining football conferences. Their shakeup isn't done, and we don't want any of that noise.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #1830 on: February 27, 2023, 10:25:49 AM »

Just based off that list of schools, I don't believe it.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #1831 on: February 27, 2023, 10:28:28 AM »

If we are offered a spot in the Big 12, we have to take it.  The prestige and competition are top tier.  And the $ is more than we will get in the Big East.

That said, I don't think it's happening.  The teams mentioned in the rumor (Nova, UConn, St Johns) feel a lot more like moves to block the ACC from expanding, which doesn't apply to us.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #1832 on: February 27, 2023, 10:28:37 AM »
A couple of sites, one being Villanova's premium Scout site, are saying that there are discussions between the Big 12 and Villanova, St John's, and Uconn to join the Big 12 as basketball only schools. Most on the Villanova site indicate it is something VU would have to do if offered.

It's predatory leaking trying to get Marquette committed to joining the Big 12 out of fear of being left out.  Marquette is the richest team in the Big East by far (even after 7 years of Wojo destroying our brand) and is the crown jewel that the Big 12 wants.  We mesh with their footprint and will give them a Chicago/Milwaukee presence along with the prestige Marquette has in the NBA. 

SJU facilities are worse than many high schools and their brand is so dead as they can't even draw in the nation's largest media market.  Laughable that they would mention them also.... clearly a ploy.   

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/richest-college-basketball-programs-america-210045624.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: February 27, 2023, 10:29:24 AM »

They have been discussing on the Boneyard (the UConn fan board) the last 2 weeks.  Apparently the "comment" came off of some TCU fan on Twitter, some guy with 24 followers and in conjunction with the Gonzaga stuff. 
There was also some discussion of a "rumor" of a Big East & Big 12 shared media deal.  Both independent, but shared media-wise.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/any-news-on-possible-expansion-for-the-big-east-anytime-soon.188048/

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/realignment.172852/page-61

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: February 27, 2023, 10:29:59 AM »

I would say FU to the Big 12. I love what we have. Don't change a thing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1835 on: February 27, 2023, 10:30:38 AM »
It's predatory leaking trying to get Marquette committed to joining the Big 12 out of fear of being left out.  Marquette is the richest team in the Big East by far (even after 7 years of Wojo destroying our brand) and is the crown jewel that the Big 12 wants.  We mesh with their footprint and will give them a Chicago/Milwaukee presence along with the prestige Marquette has in the NBA. 

SJU facilities are worse than many high schools and their brand is so dead as they can't even draw in the nation's largest media market.  Laughable that they would mention them also.... clearly a ploy.   

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/richest-college-basketball-programs-america-210045624.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Pass that blunt

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1836 on: February 27, 2023, 10:32:20 AM »

There are definitely legs to it. But it's just conversations at this point. I think people underestimate how often these types of conversations happen. FWIW, I've heard we've been mentioned in those conversations as well. I don't think the B12 is close to pulling the trigger yet. If they do pull the trigger, we need to hope that we are included because all of those schools would say yes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1837 on: February 27, 2023, 10:35:49 AM »

Personally, I would not be excited about it. We would be second class citizens and there would be rumors every year of teams leaving.

Zero interest in playing conference games against BYU, UCF, or Cincinnati (no one cares about the history with Cincinnati anymore).

The schools other than Kansas are having some good temporary success but may not be sustainable with a coaching change. TCU, Baylor, and Houston could become crap teams when their coaches leave. The other schools are good but are also nothing to get excited about. How excited were we for our games against Oklahoma State and KSU?

It’d be an incredibly short sighted move, imo. Those are just my initial thoughts on it.

Edit: to note that this is just from a basketball fan perspective. From the university perspective, it may be a lot different.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 10:39:45 AM by CountryRoads »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: February 27, 2023, 10:36:23 AM »
They have been discussing on the Boneyard (the UConn fan board) the last 2 weeks.  Apparently the "comment" came off of some TCU fan on Twitter, some guy with 24 followers and in conjunction with the Gonzaga stuff. 
There was also some discussion of a "rumor" of a Big East & Big 12 shared media deal.  Both independent, but shared media-wise.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/any-news-on-possible-expansion-for-the-big-east-anytime-soon.188048/

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/realignment.172852/page-61

When the Old Big East broke up and Texas and Oklahoma were looking to The Conference of Champions, a merger of the BE remnants and B12 was pretty far along. This is not a new idea. Fox and ESPN have shared media right now of the Big12 so they'd be the driver. 

That said, the Big East schools (ex UCONN) will be more forthcoming with each other.  However, a super basketball alliance would be powerful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1839 on: February 27, 2023, 10:38:08 AM »
If they do pull the trigger, we need to hope that we are included because all of those schools would say yes.

You may be right, but how cool would it be if all the Big East teams stuck together and gave the Big 12 a huge middle finger?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1840 on: February 27, 2023, 12:03:52 PM »

Funny how Duane hasn't posted much lately, but chimes in on a chit stirring topic

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: February 27, 2023, 12:54:58 PM »

This topic has been on the Dayton Board for at least 2+ months (their interest is that the departure of Villanova and St. Johns would pave Daytons entry into the Big East).

What, after 30+ years of being pushed around by football playing schools the likes of Pittsburgh, W. Virginia , Syracuse etc., Nova and SJ have decided things will be different this time, and want to jump back into the fire???  There is no quicker path to irrelevancy in college athletics than "  basketball only" schools affiliating with football schools. You go in as minority shareholders and it goes downhill from there. You have very little, if any,  control over your future.

Would "have to go if offered"??? No one "has to" do anything.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1842 on: February 27, 2023, 12:59:05 PM »
It really depends on the numbers involved and how any Big East negotiations are coming along. I think too many people view conference memberships as some sort of permanent and perfect ideal, but in reality beneath the tippy top they are all just alliances that hang on during media rights deals.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #1843 on: February 27, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »
Funny how Duane hasn't posted much lately, but chimes in on a chit stirring topic
Equally amazing how Marquette is annually top 10 to 15 every measure of the elite basketball programs from attendance, total revenues, NBA players, facilities, amount spent on basketball, etc., etc... so based on this you would think the board boobs would finally realize we are an extremely elite program that has a lot of leverage and desirability to negotiate from.

Instead they poor mouth us at every turn with woe is me proclamations like we're St. Norbert's or St. Thomas instead of Marquette.  NIT proclamations the first three years of the Shaka era reign supreme as we're the perceived runt at the litter in spite of a roster full of high major players and the nation's best facilities.  If any of you worked for a publicly traded company and you were sent to negotiate for us the board of directors would call an emergency meeting and have you fired before you even got on the plane to save the company from a dumb deal.  Marquette is playing from a hand of great strength instead of a hand of weakness... time we realize this.  If conference realignment is driven by money then Marquette stands to benefit as we bring in a lot of it!

The "Power 5" is a misnomer... many of these basketball programs and even football programs stink.  Stanford basketball, for example,  draws close to 2,000 fans per game. 

Don't believe me and think I'm ill informed?  Then below is just a handful of links that all say the same thing... once again they all indicate we are a financial power in spite of having Wojo stinking it up the last seven years.  Yes... gross football revenues are much larger however they also have many more expenses so it's not an apples to apples comparison.  Further programs like Alabama and Georgia are outliers while most teams just make modest football revenues. 

Marquette is rich, powerful and has a very high desirability to both coaches, recruits and conferences.  It's ok to embrace this... it's a good thing!  8-)

Maybe with a higher board IQ we'll collectively laugh ourselves silly when a fake rumor indicate St. John's will be chosen before Marquette in any conference realignment.  ;D

https://money.yahoo.com/richest-college-basketball-programs-america-210045624.html

https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/TopRevenue/Sports/Basketball/

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/schools-that-make-the-most-money-off-college-basketball/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2020/03/19/college-basketball-most-valuable-teams-ncaa-march-madness/?sh=52431c26285d

https://thegamehaus.com/college-basketball/most-valuable-college-basketball-programs-in-2021/2021/04/17/

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:22:00 PM by duanewade »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: February 27, 2023, 01:17:37 PM »
Rather than add BE teams to the Big12, I almost wonder if it makes more sense to do an alliance with a bunch of other stipulations, such as: combine tv revenue deals, assign 2 OOC games for each team to play teams of the other league, perhaps even NCAA tournament unit revenue sharing of some sort (if that is allowed). There are ways you can integrate conferences without stealing one another's teams. A deal like that might be better for everyone.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: February 27, 2023, 01:24:00 PM »
Equally amazing how Marquette is annually top 10 to 15 every measure of the elite basketball programs from attendance, total revenues, NBA players, facilities, amount spent on basketball, etc., etc... so based on this you would think the board boobs would finally realize we are an extremely elite program that has a lot of leverage and desirability to negotiate from.

Instead they poor mouth us at every turn with woe is me proclamations like we're St. Norbert's or St. Thomas instead of Marquette.  NIT proclamations the first three years of the Shaka era reign supreme as we're the perceived runt at the litter in spite of a roster full of high major players and the nation's best facilities.  If any of you worked for a publicly traded company and you were sent to negotiate for us the board of directors would call an emergency meeting and have you fired before you even got on the plane to save the company from a dumb deal.  Marquette is playing from a hand of great strength instead of a hand of weakness... time we realize this.  If conference realignment is driven by money then Marquette stands to benefit as we bring in a lot of it!

The "Power 5" is a misnomer... many of these basketball programs and even football programs stink.  Stanford basketball, for example,  draws close to 2,000 fans per game. 

Don't believe me and think I'm ill informed?  Then below is just a handful of links that all say the same thing... once again they all indicate we are a financial power in spite of having Wojo stinking it up the last seven years.  Yes... gross football revenues are much larger however they also have many more expenses so it's not an apples to apples comparison.  Further programs like Alabama and Georgia are outliers while most teams just make modest football revenues. 

Marquette is rich, powerful and has a very high desirability to both coaches, recruits and conferences.  It's ok to embrace this... it's a good thing!  8-)

Maybe with a higher board IQ we'll collectively laugh ourselves silly when a fake rumor indicate St. John's will be chosen before Marquette in any conference realignment.  ;D

https://money.yahoo.com/richest-college-basketball-programs-america-210045624.html

https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/TopRevenue/Sports/Basketball/

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/economy/schools-that-make-the-most-money-off-college-basketball/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2020/03/19/college-basketball-most-valuable-teams-ncaa-march-madness/?sh=52431c26285d

https://thegamehaus.com/college-basketball/most-valuable-college-basketball-programs-in-2021/2021/04/17/

It's all about market. Milwaukee is not New York

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #1846 on: February 27, 2023, 01:31:57 PM »
It's all about market. Milwaukee is not New York
So based on that logic Notre Dame football in small and lowly South Bend, IN would get a much smaller tv contract than Rutgers in the tri-state area.  ::)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: February 27, 2023, 01:34:50 PM »
So based on that logic Notre Dame football in small and lowly South Bend, IN would get a much smaller tv contract than Rutgers in the tri-state area.  ::)

Notre Dame is a national brand. Rutgers is not.

It is also the most popular college football team in the 3rd largest market (Chicago)

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: February 27, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »
Philadelphia is closer to NYC than South Bend is to Chicago
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1849 on: February 27, 2023, 01:42:04 PM »
Philadelphia is closer to NYC than South Bend is to Chicago

Do you not understand the history of the University of Notre Dame?

Anyway, I am not sure markets still matter like they used to. But they still matter to a point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback