[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 326212 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1850 on: February 27, 2023, 01:44:00 PM »
I’m a bit curious on the B12’s interest in that. Would the added inventory improve the TV contract for basketball more than the splitting of the pie of 3 teams?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1851 on: February 27, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
Philadelphia is closer to NYC than South Bend is to Chicago

It is not about pure geography. Chicago is a Notre Dame football town. Maybe not as heavily as it once was, but it still is.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1852 on: February 27, 2023, 01:55:00 PM »
I’m a bit curious on the B12’s interest in that. Would the added inventory improve the TV contract for basketball more than the splitting of the pie of 3 teams?

The B12 just signed a media rights deal. That is probably the largest reason for my skepticism.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1853 on: February 27, 2023, 01:55:44 PM »
Philadelphia is closer to NYC than South Bend is to Chicago

Marquette is closer to Chicago than ND
Maigh Eo for Sam

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #1854 on: February 27, 2023, 02:32:54 PM »
Do you not understand the history of the University of Notre Dame?

Anyway, I am not sure markets still matter like they used to. But they still matter to a point.
Wait... so branding actually matters?  I'm all confused now?  I thought it was all about the gross amount of viewers in your market and that was the determining factor.  With this said Manhattan, Fordham and Long Island will even be chosen for conference expansion before Marquette will be.   

I've also heard silly rumors that another small school in Durham, NC gets way more tv eyeballs on them in NYC in comparison to SJU who don't even get eyeballs from their own alumni.  Next thing you're going to tell me is the Green Bay Packers are one of the NFL's most valuable franchises in spite of being in the smallest media market. 

Keep it simple for me.  Marquette is small and weak and have no future besides re-forming the MCC again.  Ok?  Thanks I've been fully indoctrinated in muscoop board logic/group think now.   :)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: February 27, 2023, 03:03:07 PM »
There are definitely legs to it. But it's just conversations at this point. I think people underestimate how often these types of conversations happen. FWIW, I've heard we've been mentioned in those conversations as well. I don't think the B12 is close to pulling the trigger yet. If they do pull the trigger, we need to hope that we are included because all of those schools would say yes.

This article was written 6 months ago but the B12 media is looking at Pac12 teams to poach. They also hinted that basketball may help their tv negotiations. I think they'll go with football schools unless they are really desparate.

Looks like ESPN will be looking for content.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: February 27, 2023, 03:51:26 PM »
This article was written 6 months ago but the B12 media is looking at Pac12 teams to poach. They also hinted that basketball may help their tv negotiations. I think they'll go with football schools unless they are really desparate.

Looks like ESPN will be looking for content.

I can solve ESPN's content problem.

As the current Big East television contract expires, ESPN should offer the Big East more than FOX is offering.ESPN gets more content, and BE schools get more money. Both problems solved.

I would also note that since the current TV contract between FOX and the BE was negotiated in 2012-13, two important things have occurred. First, the addition of UCONN is extremely attractive to FOX ( and to ESPN I would presume). Second, the current iteration of the league has proven to be immeasurably more stable than in 2013 for a number of reasons ( not the least of which is the addition of UCONN virtually guaranteeing sellouts every year at MSG for the BET. And Nova's 2 Nattys sure doesn't hurt either).

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: February 27, 2023, 03:52:32 PM »
I would rather stay with FOX. I think they have done a really good job with the product.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: February 27, 2023, 03:54:43 PM »
Anyway, I am beginning to think the remaining Pac 12 schools are screwed. I think the B12 acting boldly with expansion and being first out the gate renegotiating their rights was a smart move.  Some of the rumors out there about Pac 12 partners are....really not good. I really think Oregon and Washington are not as valuable as some people thought.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: February 27, 2023, 03:55:20 PM »
I would rather stay with FOX. I think they have done a really good job with the product.

We're the Big Fish on Fox and it's great to be able to watch every game.  I've noticed most hotels carry the Fox Sports channels too which enable me to watch this weekend for example.
And If I'm not at home I can locate on the Fox Sports App.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: February 27, 2023, 03:58:17 PM »
Anyway, I am beginning to think the remaining Pac 12 schools are screwed. I think the B12 acting boldly with expansion and being first out the gate renegotiating their rights was a smart move.  Some of the rumors out there about Pac 12 partners are....really not good. I really think Oregon and Washington are not as valuable as some people thought.

Hasn't Oregon football recently been in the CFP? And basketball wise they've had a crap ton of recent success. Idk how that translates to value but I'd imagine fairly well
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: February 27, 2023, 03:59:10 PM »
Is the Big East that much more stable than 2012-13? We just talked about Nova, STJ, and UCONN going to the Big 12. The conference is still one Power Football conference wanting basketball only schools from the Big East fundamentally changing.

I’m not sure if that’s any more likely than it was before. The Big East is certainly more established, but I think the risks to stability are still the same.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1862 on: February 27, 2023, 03:59:44 PM »

Yeah, if we wen't back to ESPN I'd likely have to subscribe to ESPN+ to get all the games.  I'd prefer the FS1, FS2, CBS, FOX setup.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: February 27, 2023, 04:00:58 PM »
Is the Big East that much more stable than 2012-13? We just talked about Nova, STJ, and UCONN going to the Big 12. The conference is still one Power Football conference wanting basketball only schools from the Big East fundamentally changing.

I’m not sure if that’s any more likely than it was before. The Big East is certainly more established, but I think the risks to stability are still the same.

I think in some respects it is. We know we have teams from lower conferences that are chomping at the bit to get up here so while before we had no control over ourselves and then ended up homeless, now we have control of our destiny and a pecking order of "next man up"
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: February 27, 2023, 04:01:05 PM »
Oregon was in the CFP in 2015. Washington in 2017. That's it from the Pac 12.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1865 on: February 27, 2023, 04:05:34 PM »
Yeah, if we wen't back to ESPN I'd likely have to subscribe to ESPN+ to get all the games.  I'd prefer the FS1, FS2, CBS, FOX setup.

This.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: February 27, 2023, 04:15:42 PM »
I like having a Big East focused panel and it’s easy to find our games on TV. Having the occasional one on the main Fox network is nice.

Is Fox competing for any other conferences in basketball?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: February 27, 2023, 04:16:58 PM »

Absolutely true. 100%. I love FOX and I think that the 10 year marriage with BE basketball has delivered more than anyone could have imagined--------for both partners. FOX paid the Conference a lot of money and the 10 (11) schools have delivered high quality sports programming.

But anytime the realignment topic comes up, it seems everyone leads with " its all about the money". Well, if it truly is ONLY about the money, maybe a bidding war between these 2 networks is necessary in order to generate additional revenue for each school, thereby convincing any current members who may have a wandering eye, that the grass isn't greener. I hate this chit.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: February 27, 2023, 04:25:41 PM »
As an aside, how do some of our games end up on CBSSN? Does Fox sell those to them? Or does the Big East have a secondary deal with CBS?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1869 on: February 27, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »
1. Nova, SJU, UConn and Marquette should consider that the old Big East broke up because of football.  Every school with football in the Big XII would take an invite to the Big Ten or SEC (not that I’m sure any of them are that attractive).

2. The Big XII is almost certainly interested in Gonzaga.  Makes sense then to possibly explore this possibility.

3. More likely as others have said, attacking the PNW or Four Corners states makes more sense from a similarity standpoint and the Pac-12 is still teetering (I think it is).

4. Marquette would absolutely want to be part of a move.  Without Nova, UConn and St. John’s, the Big East is diluted and there are no schools that can match those 3.  I know SJU is trash on the court but MSG still has some cache

5. The Big XII talk sounds like sue diligence more than anything but I don’t dismiss any rumors anymore with regards to this topic. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: February 27, 2023, 05:07:07 PM »
Didn't Fox just sign an increased media rights deal with The BigTen last Fall?

I think that deal includes 200 BigTen hoops games per season being carried on the Fox family.  I'm guessing that family may include the BigTen network.

I think the BigTen football games will be split over the Fox group, CBS/Paramount, NBC/Peacock

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: February 27, 2023, 05:08:03 PM »

I can solve ESPN's content problem.

As the current Big East television contract expires, ESPN should offer the Big East more than FOX is offering.ESPN gets more content, and BE schools get more money. Both problems solved.

I would also note that since the current TV contract between FOX and the BE was negotiated in 2012-13, two important things have occurred. First, the addition of UCONN is extremely attractive to FOX ( and to ESPN I would presume). Second, the current iteration of the league has proven to be immeasurably more stable than in 2013 for a number of reasons ( not the least of which is the addition of UCONN virtually guaranteeing sellouts every year at MSG for the BET. And Nova's 2 Nattys sure doesn't hurt either).

You want to stick with cable when "advanced sports" are moving to sign BIG deals with Amazon (NFL) and Youtube (NBA).

Cable is bleeding out; let it die without us.

At least you're not demanding we get on broadcast TV more.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1872 on: February 27, 2023, 05:10:19 PM »

You want to stick with cable when "advanced sports" are moving to sign BIG deals with Amazon (NFL) and Youtube (NBA).

Cable is bleeding out; let it die without us.

At least you're not demanding we get on broadcast TV more.

Right.  I'm not cool enough to cut the cord yet, but I'm thinking about switching over because I can't find a single NFL or NBA game to watch on TV.

Also, old man yelling at cloud?  I don't think you understand what that means if you think that's what's going on here...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: February 27, 2023, 05:11:56 PM »
I cut the cord years ago, and I have all the games.

Do you also have a land-line?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: February 27, 2023, 05:32:01 PM »
Quote from: Coleman link=topic=62146.msg1524575#msg1524575 date=
As an aside, how do some of our games end up on CBSSN? Does Fox sell those to them? Or does the Big East have a secondary deal with CBS?

Fox sells the games.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/05/09/cbs-sports-buys-some-big-east-mens-games-from-fox-sports/39464677/