[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318279 times)

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2021, 09:10:47 PM »
I wouldn't sleep on Kansas football now that Lance Leipold is there.
Agree was lucky to sit next to Lance Leopold at a table for a banquet dinner where he was an awesome speaker and seemed very intelligent about football and in general.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2021, 03:39:51 AM »
Agree was lucky to sit next to Lance Leopold at a table for a banquet dinner where he was an awesome speaker and seemed very intelligent about football and in general.

Lance is a great guy who will take Kansas back to bowl games. But it will take time. He’s a builder - not a quick fix guy. His AD at Buffalo was patient and he will need the same now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
Lance is a great guy who will take Kansas back to bowl games. But it will take time. He’s a builder - not a quick fix guy. His AD at Buffalo was patient and he will need the same now.

Agree...I think the upside is 8, maybe 9 wins but that's pretty good for Kansas.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »

Most college football programs lose money - at all levels.  Yet schools still keep them.  They clearly have value of some sort.

For the Power 5, the "profitability" of a football team is a joke. Everything depends on how costs are allocated.

If you look at football, you have to consider a Contribution Margin, which is the net income before allocation of fixed overhead charges. In short, how much revenue and athletic department resources support football. For example, Under Title 9, male and female scholarships have to be equal. That's fine and nobody is arguing it. But, how do you account for it? Do the incremental scholarships that would not be awarded to women were it not for football get allocated to football? Same for sports that would not exist were it not for legally required parity.

There's no real requirement that college programs use GAAP nor is there any real GAAP for colleges that allow us to compare. That's why I think the whole thing is BS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »

Wish him more success than the last Buffalo--->Kansas HC transition.  Hopefully KU is patient.  But he needed to make the move.  Incredible coach, but he's 57, not many good P5 programs were gonna take a 60 year old who had never coached or coordinated at the P5 level, regardless of his success.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2021, 12:32:49 PM »
Schools find value in football regardless if it’s “profitable” or not. It’s a marketing tool.

and that value is TV money. The AAC schools get nearly $3 million more annually from TV than the Big East schools. The Big 12 schools get $34.5 million annually.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »
and that value is TV money. The AAC schools get nearly $3 million more annually from TV than the Big East schools. The Big 12 schools get $34.5 million annually.

Well, Cincinnati pays their head coach $3.4M annually so with just one employee they're losing money.

Not to mention the assistants, the other staff, the stadium and program upkeep, equipment costs, travel costs, I highly doubt any AAC school was in the black based on that $3M.

In addition, they have to field additional women's programs to offset the scholarship numbers. That's what, 80 more scholarships and student athlete costs that exist for the privilege of having football?

Football might generate a lot of revenue, but that doesn't mean it generates any profit.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
Well, Cincinnati pays their head coach $3.4M annually so with just one employee they're losing money.

Not to mention the assistants, the other staff, the stadium and program upkeep, equipment costs, travel costs, I highly doubt any AAC school was in the black based on that $3M.

In addition, they have to field additional women's programs to offset the scholarship numbers. That's what, 80 more scholarships and student athlete costs that exist for the privilege of having football?

Football might generate a lot of revenue, but that doesn't mean it generates any profit.

and how much of that is coming from the university? Little. That is money that does not get raised without football.

over $7 million is less than $3.4. That must be the new math I've been hearing about.

And no, they do not have to equalize scholarships one a one for one basis.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2021, 08:54:00 PM »
Big East schools don't pay for football. It's not new math, it's just math.

You make a TV argument in favor of the sport, then cite a program where one employee required for said program makes more than the difference in TV dollars, which completely undermines your argument.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »

Football budgets for the four Big East schools ($M)

Butler: $1.2
Georgetown: $2.2
Villanova: $6.9
Connecticut: $16.6

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2021, 04:54:27 AM »

You make a TV argument in favor of the sport, then cite a program where one employee required for said program makes more than the difference in TV dollars, which completely undermines your argument.

His point is that the value of football to a school is more than about how profitable it is as a single entity.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2021, 05:33:35 AM »
His point is that the value of football to a school is more than about how profitable it is as a single entity.

Which is undermined by his claim "and that value is TV money."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:10 AM »
Football budgets for the four Big East schools ($M)

Butler: $1.2
Georgetown: $2.2
Villanova: $6.9
Connecticut: $16.6
Villanova is getting an excellent return on that investment.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2021, 08:26:56 PM »
Colorado State, Air Force, UAB and an unnamed 4th team (Rice or UTSA) rumored to be the four additions to the AAC.

If true, talk about putting your basketball in the incinerator.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2021, 08:31:32 PM »
Colorado State, Air Force, UAB and an unnamed 4th team (Rice or UTSA) rumored to be the four additions to the AAC.

I don’t get CSU and AFA leaving the MWC but whatever.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
I don’t get CSU and AFA leaving the MWC but whatever.

Neither do I.  More east coast exposure and earlier TV windows, maybe?  Air Force is sort of the left out child of the service academies when it comes to sports
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2021, 12:03:24 AM »
Neither do I.  More east coast exposure and earlier TV windows, maybe?  Air Force is sort of the left out child of the service academies when it comes to sports

Maybe because they don't have the annual game like Army and Navy do.  Otherwise, they are in a far better conference and have had as much relative success as Navy, and certainly more than Army, on the football field.  None of the service acadmies have been good at basketball in decades but AF at least had good coaches and some success 10-15 years.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2021, 05:18:03 AM »

Make the 4th team Army and maybe you got something with the 3 service academies

🏀

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2021, 06:31:45 AM »
Air Force versus Space Force going to be a great rivalry going forward.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
Neither do I.  More east coast exposure and earlier TV windows, maybe? Air Force is sort of the left out child of the service academies when it comes to sports

Yep. They're an under the radar.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »
Yep. They're an under the radar.

A very stealthy program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
I also don't get leaving the MWC for the AAC. The AAC has slightly more money now but you have to think that changes with Cincy, Houston, and UCF shipping out.

I agree with MUFIC, if you're going to have Navy and Air Force in football, might as well sign up Army and try to make yourself "America's conference" or something like that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
I also don't get leaving the MWC for the AAC. The AAC has slightly more money now but you have to think that changes with Cincy, Houston, and UCF shipping out.

I agree with MUFIC, if you're going to have Navy and Air Force in football, might as well sign up Army and try to make yourself "America's conference" or something like that.

The CSU move makes little sense at all. The motivating factor may be the feeling of rejection. They have wanted to get into the Big 12 since 2011 and fired their last AD because they were not mentioned in the realignment talk. Now they’re apparently willing to go from bus trips to Wyoming and Air Force and regional trips for all sports to cross country trips to East Carolina and South Florida, even after the AAC lost their best teams. Um, ok.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
Army was in Conf. USA not to long ago. Didn't work out, so they went back to be an independent. I have the feeling they don't need or want to be in a league.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
Air Force and Colorado State, IMO, are using these unofficial talks with the AAC as leverage against the MWC.  I think both desire some access into Texas (either in the form of UTEP, Texas State, UTSA or Rice), as well as attempting to break free of the special sweetheart deal that Boise State owns over the MWC.  The AAC is much more likely to get raided again down the road (i.e. Memphis, USF, SMU) and the AAC officially becomes C-USA once again.  The MWC may not be a power conference, but it is stable due to geography.  The PAC isn't taking anyone from the MWC.  It also has just as many strong men's basketball programs, if not better top-half, than the American does in the form of San Diego State, Nevada, Utah State, UNLV, New Mexico and even Boise State. 

Ultimately, I don't see AF and CSU jumping ship.  The money and geography just don't make sense, especially for all-sports for AF. 

feedback