Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 327121 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2021, 02:51:01 PM »
Sure glad that Marquette and Georgetown, I believe, spearheaded the Big East move for basketball. I hate to think of Marquette in one of these other conferences.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2021, 05:14:42 PM »
Sure glad that Marquette and Georgetown, I believe, spearheaded the Big East move for basketball. I hate to think of Marquette in one of these other conferences.

Marquette and Villanova. Georgetown was busy trying to flash its goods to the ACC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
Marquette and Villanova. Georgetown was busy trying to flash its goods to the ACC.

Oh yes they were! Then, after the new BE was formed some of their fans attempted to float the idea that the new conference should be referred to casually as "The Georgetown Conference".

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »
Looks like Belmont is moving from the Ohio Valley Conference to the Missouri Valley.  Good move for both parties, although it only enhances a geographical problem since only one MVC member is actually in the "Missouri Valley."

Anyway, the Ohio Valley will have lost four of its 12 members with Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State and Austin Peay leaving for the Atlantic Sun this year / next year.  The ASUN and WAC are both starting FCS football conferences as part of their recent moves.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2021, 10:29:01 AM »
Looks like Belmont is moving from the Ohio Valley Conference to the Missouri Valley.  Good move for both parties, although it only enhances a geographical problem since only one MVC member is actually in the "Missouri Valley."

Anyway, the Ohio Valley will have lost four of its 12 members with Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State and Austin Peay leaving for the Atlantic Sun this year / next year.  The ASUN and WAC are both starting FCS football conferences as part of their recent moves.

any reason Murray St isn't trying to make a move? Between them and Belmont Murray St's the one that really has staying power IMO
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2021, 10:32:18 AM »

Well at one time, Chicago and Milwaukee were a part of the Virginia Colony and the West was part of the Louisiana Purchase. With global warming, the river basins are apt to expand to accommodate conference realignment too.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »
any reason Murray St isn't trying to make a move? Between them and Belmont Murray St's the one that really has staying power IMO

Would imagine Murray State will be an attractive property at some point.  Great move for Belmont.  If I were the Valley, I’d grab Murray State, too.  They can’t replace Creighton and Wichita State but can still be the “best” true mid-major
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2021, 10:42:03 AM »

The problem is that if Murray St. has a football program, and the Missouri Valley Football Conference is separate (but close to) the MVC.  Most of the MVFC members are members of the Summit League in other sports.  So they would actually need two invites.

And I don't understand why the ASUN would be better than the OVC in football.

But maybe they're not interested?  I don't know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2021, 10:42:54 AM »
Well at one time, Chicago and Milwaukee were a part of the Virginia Colony and the West was part of the Louisiana Purchase. With global warming, the river basins are apt to expand to accommodate conference realignment too.

This is a logical explanation and totally makes sense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2021, 10:49:36 AM »

In a long enough timeline we will all be members of the Supernova conference.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
And I don't understand why the ASUN would be better than the OVC in football.

But maybe they're not interested?  I don't know.

The only thing I can think of is that there is more start-up/movement in football programs in the South.  Kennesaw St, Mercer, Stetson, all started programs in the last 10-15 years.  KSU is in the ASUN.  Maybe they view it as more potential for growth and expansion?  OVC, with the migration, is basically the Tennessee schools, Eastern IL, and SIUE, plus Murray St.  Not a great footprint compared to the ASUN and its potential targets in proximity.

• All American
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2021, 04:00:07 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that there is more start-up/movement in football programs in the South.  Kennesaw St, Mercer, Stetson, all started programs in the last 10-15 years.  KSU is in the ASUN.  Maybe they view it as more potential for growth and expansion?  OVC, with the migration, is basically the Tennessee schools, Eastern IL, and SIUE, plus Murray St.  Not a great footprint compared to the ASUN and its potential targets in proximity.

Yeah, I think this makes sense.  The OVC seems filled with "legacy" FCS members in non-growth areas who traditionally haven't been all that great in football.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2021, 05:01:13 PM »
San Diego State and Boise State tell the AAC they're not interested; they think they can do better (Big 12, maybe Pac 12). Air Force is pushing the AAC move and wants CSU to come with them. What's interesting is CBS saying CSU is interested due to proximity with Air Force being less than 150 miles from Fort Collins while Larimie, WY, and the U of Wyoming, is only 65 miles away. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2021, 05:43:22 PM »
San Diego State and Boise State tell the AAC they're not interested; they think they can do better (Big 12, maybe Pac 12). Air Force is pushing the AAC move and wants CSU to come with them. What's interesting is CBS saying CSU is interested due to proximity with Air Force being less than 150 miles from Fort Collins while Larimie, WY, and the U of Wyoming, is only 65 miles away.

No chance on the Pac 12 for them, IMO, but the new Big 12 could make sense.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2021, 05:45:09 PM »
No chance on the Pac 12 for them, IMO, but the new Big 12 could make sense.

Agreed, but maybe they think the Pac 12 would be desperate enough to take at least one of them. I'm hearing some rumblings the Pac-12 is kicking themselves for not pursuing BYU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2021, 08:01:33 PM »
Matt Jones who is pretty well-connected in Kentucky is reporting Murray State is headed to the Valley.  Arch Madness going to be all kinds of fun

https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/1443741393730646023?s=21

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2021, 09:51:54 PM »
This is just a guess, I think UAB is pretty much a lock to join AAC. Beautiful 45,000 seat
stadium opening this weekend. Located in a football hotbed.

Don’t understand Air Force and Colorado State motivation to join AAC . I think post restructuring Mountain West money will be the same. Maybe they think it will position them for the next round of realignment.
            ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #218 on: October 01, 2021, 05:15:57 AM »
Air Force looking to join Navy?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2021, 05:50:01 AM »

• All American
« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2021, 06:07:59 AM »
Looks like Murray State will be going to the MVC.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2021, 06:51:37 AM »
Looks like Murray State will be going to the MVC.

This seems like a good fit for both conference and school to help boost each other’s profile.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »
Air Force looking to join Navy?

Air Force and Colorado State remaining in the MWC. The athletic department was overruled by some prominent leaders at AFA.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2021, 11:42:08 AM »
Air Force and Colorado State remaining in the MWC. The athletic department was overruled by some prominent leaders at AFA.
Tough times for the AAC. Looks like UCONN made the right move.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2021, 11:53:46 AM »
That is the right move for both. Mountain West is a well defined geographic conference, and eventually Pac 12 and Big 12 will absorb some of the schools. Until that happens, they need to make the best of what they have.
            ---Al McGuire

feedback