[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 318384 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »
Clay Travis?? He claims to be college sports legal guru yet he doesn't know if the Big East exists??

I'm so tired of the sports "media".  ESPN and guys like Travis are a joke.

I don't know if his assertions are valid. I do know most thought Maryland would walk away from the ACC free and clear and that did not happen.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »
Clay Travis?? He claims to be college sports legal guru yet he doesn't know if the Big East exists??

I'm so tired of the sports "media".  ESPN and guys like Travis are a joke.

I don't know if his assertions are valid. I do know most thought Maryland would walk away from the ACC free and clear and that did not happen.
Article is from 9 years ago

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »

And it wasn't written by him.  It was written by someone else and posted by Travis.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2021, 01:20:58 PM »
Oops! My bad.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Unless there have been substantial changes in court rulings regarding contract law- specifically in reference to conference issues- the fact that the article is 9 years old is, to me, irrelevant. The man is a contract attorney and has provided the readers of the article with a reality check. Those of us without legal training may look at a summary of a contract, be it grant of rights or some other issue, and honestly and confidently believe we understand it. It should be very clear to us laymen that we do not know as any where near as much as we may have thought we knew about contracts.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »
Unless there have been substantial changes in court rulings regarding contract law- specifically in reference to conference issues- the fact that the article is 9 years old is, to me, irrelevant. The man is a contract attorney and has provided the readers of the article with a reality check. Those of us without legal training may look at a summary of a contract, be it grant of rights or some other issue, and honestly and confidently believe we understand it. It should be very clear to us laymen that we do not know as any where near as much as we may have thought we knew about contracts.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2021, 07:25:15 PM »
https://theathletic.com/news/big-12-expansion-talks-focused-on-byu-ucf-cincinnati-houston-sources/5CZvjXPK0mL1
BYU has the best long term football pedigrees and would definitely bring value to the Big 12 as it exists post Oklahoma and Texas. Cincinnati has had some success the last 15 years .UCF and Houston ,I guess , would be valuable for the marketing eyeballs they bring . All four would probably be able to up their recruiting as a result of joining .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:44:14 AM by Herman Cain »
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
BYU and Cincinnati have the best long term football pedigrees and would definitely bring value to the Big 12 as it exists post Oklahoma and Texas. UCF and Houston ,I guess , would be valuable for the marketing eyeballs they bring . All four would probably be able to up their recruiting as a result of joining .

Slightly better than the current AAC and every member would still leave for the other four conferences if they are invited.

I mean yeah it’s the best they can do but it’s still not great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2021, 08:31:17 PM »
Could strike a TV deal of 20-25 million per school. Basketball is about 20%. Strong hoops league still. If the 12 team playoff happens in football, Big12 will be fine.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
Could strike a TV deal of 20-25 million per school. Basketball is about 20%. Strong hoops league still. If the 12 team playoff happens in football, Big12 will be fine.

We will see. That’s just about in total what the B12 is making now. Minus UT and OU?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2021, 09:20:51 PM »
I believe the Big 12 is $37 million per year/school. Some AD have said OU/Texas alone are 50% of that.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2021, 09:24:15 PM »
Slightly better than the current AAC and every member would still leave for the other four conferences if they are invited.

I mean yeah it’s the best they can do but it’s still not great.
My guess is the remaining schools realize it’s in their mutual best interest to stay together as long as they are in a P5 conference for Football. Since none are getting an invite to leave anytime soon. I think BYU ,for sure, would up the profile of the remaining conference .

Basketball is still very good and should keep bringing home NCAA Units for the Big 12 conference , 7 teams made the tourney last year and Baylor won it all which will pay nice dividends for 6 years. However , football is the sport that is what all the TV dollar decisions are made on.

---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2021, 09:43:09 PM »
What's the alternative? The rest of the Big 12 are not going independent.  That would still be a darn good conference.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2021, 10:00:01 PM »
With the P12 deciding not to expand for now,  the B12 is safe....also for now. The second the the P4 decides to expand, they are toast.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2021, 10:35:44 PM »
BYU and Cincinnati have the best long term football pedigrees and would definitely bring value to the Big 12 as it exists post Oklahoma and Texas. UCF and Houston ,I guess , would be valuable for the marketing eyeballs they bring . All four would probably be able to up their recruiting as a result of joining .

Say wha?  If you mean long term potential, I could buy that, but UC was a TRASH program for decades.  They had some nice success under Brian Kelly and Fickell has them rolling now, but they had a losing record in bowls until 2 seasons ago.  Hell, they were bad under Tuberville less than 5 seasons ago.  They went 40 years without a bowl appearance.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2021, 06:08:43 AM »
Basketball wise, the new Big 12 would be a strong league.  Other than UCF and TCU, there's ten very good programs that could keep the Battle moving forward.

For the AAC, Memphis is clearly a loser here. However, they "recruit" regardless of conference affiliation.  AAC drops down several steps in basketball, with the six power conferences separating themselves from the pack.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2021, 06:44:58 AM »
Say wha?  If you mean long term potential, I could buy that, but UC was a TRASH program for decades.  They had some nice success under Brian Kelly and Fickell has them rolling now, but they had a losing record in bowls until 2 seasons ago.  Hell, they were bad under Tuberville less than 5 seasons ago.  They went 40 years without a bowl appearance.
Agree. Amended previous post.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2021, 05:54:03 PM »
BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF applying for admission to the Big 12.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
They are even saying it’s a “Done Deal”

https://www.ksl.com/article/50234564/could-byu-secure-big-12-invitation-as-early-as-next-week-one-report-says-so
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »
The Big 12 could never replace TX and OK but they seem to be doing the best they can do. As I said before It's still a very good conference.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2021, 11:31:24 PM »

UCF? If the Big 12 doesn’t take them will they declare themselves members anyway?

Colorado Stare or Boise State make more sense. UCF may get them into Florida but not much else. They’re 4th, at best, in that state.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2021, 11:49:12 PM »
UCF? If the Big 12 doesn’t take them will they declare themselves members anyway?

Colorado Stare or Boise State make more sense. UCF may get them into Florida but not much else. They’re 4th, at best, in that state.

UCF has an alumni base of over 320k, and over 72k current students. It is the largest school in Florida, and the largest public university in the US.

They are growing very rapidly, and due to their alumni base will attract a lot of eyeballs for TV contracts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:50:49 PM by forgetful »