[Today at 08:41:54 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 327363 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2021, 10:32:30 PM »
Listen, you’ll never replace the cache and prestige of UT and OU, but otherwise, it’s not bad at all.  A&M’s rich coffers are one thing, but the program has won 1 conference title in the last 30 years.  Nebraska sucks and Tom Osborne isn’t walking through that door.  And Mizzou is…fine.  WVU is a better program as of late than all 3. UCF is on the cusp of being a monster.  And BYU/Houston are always gonna put up solid teams.  TCU is an upgrade over CU too.

UT and OU are so much more valuable properties that there's really no compensating with the others. I think you're understating TAMU's potential and perhaps overstating UCF's, though time will tell on both.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2021, 11:08:32 PM »
Good thing Marquette and the other basketball schools left the old Big East (AAC). Not sure who you add. UAB. Marshall, App. St.

I've seen UAB, Coastal Carolina, and Georgia State mentioned as possibilities.

One positive with this is that no one will attempt to compare the AAC to the Big East in basketball ever again.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2021, 06:39:19 AM »
Good thing Marquette and the other basketball schools left the old Big East (AAC). Not sure who you add. UAB. Marshall, App. St.

I saw a list of possibilities yesterday.
Boise St, San Diego St, Buffalo, UAB, Colorado St., and some other CUSA teams.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2021, 07:28:36 AM »
Does the AAC have a better deal than the MWC?  Because I can't see why Boise, SDSU or CSU would be interested.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »
Does the AAC have a better deal than the MWC?  Because I can't see why Boise, SDSU or CSU would be interested.

That's what I thought when I was reading the story.  I don't see the improvement/step up from the MWC either. 
Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »

Yes, the AAC deal was $6.9M per school per year. The MWC was $4M.

The question then is, what does the deal look like when the AAC teams leave. Wouldn't be shocked if ESPN lowers it to something like the MWC deal.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
Yes, the AAC deal was $6.9M per school per year. The MWC was $4M.

The question then is, what does the deal look like when the AAC teams leave. Wouldn't be shocked if ESPN lowers it to something like the MWC deal.

I think you are right. Just eyeballing what's left in the AAC vs. the MWC, I would think the MWC is the more valuable property. Plus, it makes more geographic sense. I can't imagine it would be easy for Boise State's Track and Field team to travel to Tampa, FL for a meet in the middle of the week. Even if the AAC makes a little more than the MWC, I think Boise, CSU, and SDST would stay in the MWC.

Buffalo is an interesting name. I could see them being a fit in the AAC. When's the last time anyone raided the MAC for anything?
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
I think you are right. Just eyeballing what's left in the AAC vs. the MWC, I would think the MWC is the more valuable property. Plus, it makes more geographic sense. I can't imagine it would be easy for Boise State's Track and Field team to travel to Tampa, FL for a meet in the middle of the week. Even if the AAC makes a little more than the MWC, I think Boise, CSU, and SDST would stay in the MWC.

Buffalo is an interesting name. I could see them being a fit in the AAC. When's the last time anyone raided the MAC for anything?

2005 when Marshall moved to CUSA.

But man there are not a lot of great choices here for the AAC.  I wonder if they will look at Liberty.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2021, 10:17:29 AM »

But man there are not a lot of great choices here for the AAC.  I wonder if they will look at Liberty.

The AAC can do whatever they want.  They’re not done losing schools
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »
The AAC can do whatever they want.  They’re not done losing schools

Interesting. Who else do you think is leaving, and to where?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2021, 10:45:57 AM »

I don't think it's a guarantee, but I would bet that the B1G, ACC, and P12 will eventually all move to 16 teams to keep up with the SEC. This means that 7 teams will be poached from somewhere. I would assume that the majority of them come from the B12...who will then replenish by raiding the AAC and MWC.

I was surprised when the P12 voted not to expand the other week. It's possible that the P4 decide they don't need anymore teams cutting into their pie but I'd guess they eventually expand.
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
I guess I don't understand why conferences would want to grow "to keep up with the SEC."  What can the SEC do with 16 teams that the Big Ten can't with 14?

The only reason the SEC expanded was because UT and OU add a lot of cache and TV money to the conference.  Unless the other conferences can recruit other members to do the same, I can't see them expanding.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2021, 11:22:04 AM »
Now, when does Dayton leave the Atlantic 10 and join the Big East?

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2021, 11:24:17 AM »
On expansion, I believe it’s quality not quantity. Fighting Irish is more valuable then 2 of say iowa state and Missouri.

Oklahoma and Texas were ~half the value of the big 12.

Sec, funded by espn was smart to take the 2.

If big 10 could grab Virginia or North Carolina , that would be interesting.

Conversely, big 10 needs to keep Ohio state.

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2021, 12:27:41 PM »
Ohio State isn't leaving the Big Ten.  The next round of media contracts will be even more valuable, and its not bad from their POV to be in a conference that is competitive...but not TOO competitive.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2021, 12:46:07 PM »

I don’t think the Big XII is done being raided and I think the league knows it.  USF and Memphis won’t be bridesmaids again

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2021, 01:28:25 PM »
I guess I don't understand why conferences would want to grow "to keep up with the SEC."  What can the SEC do with 16 teams that the Big Ten can't with 14?

The only reason the SEC expanded was because UT and OU add a lot of cache and TV money to the conference.  Unless the other conferences can recruit other members to do the same, I can't see them expanding.

You certainly could be right. My prediction is that ESPN will incentivize expansion by the ACC, Pac 12, and B1G so they can gather as many valuable properties together as possible, allowing them to spend significantly less on the other conferences. I don't know if that means that all 4 will get to 16, but I think eventually, at least West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State will find their ways into the P4.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »
I've seen UAB, Coastal Carolina, and Georgia State mentioned as possibilities.

One positive with this is that no one will attempt to compare the AAC to the Big East in basketball ever again.

When UAB is a top replacement choice, a school who disbanded and then rebanded football a short time ago, maybe it's time to call it quits?

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2021, 01:44:57 PM »
When UAB is a top replacement choice, a school who disbanded and then rebanded football a short time ago, maybe it's time to call it quits?

Yeah but it was disbanded for internal, political reasons.  I think everyone who sees that from the outside realizes that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »
Am I the only one surprised nobody's mentioned Northern Illinois? They were interviewed by the B12 a few years ago, and while they've fallen off recently there was a solid recent stretch where they were one of the best mid majors.

If the B12 offered to help them find a stadium expansion I could see it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2021, 01:48:07 PM »
Am I the only one surprised nobody's mentioned Northern Illinois? They were interviewed by the B12 a few years ago, and while they've fallen off recently there was a solid recent stretch where they were one of the best mid majors.

Not a chance

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2021, 01:52:46 PM »

The Big 12?  Not a chance.  In 2019, they were at the very bottom of FBS in attendance - with just over 8,500 per game.  They just aren't terribly popular even among their own alumni base.

I doubt they would even get a AAC look. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2021, 02:19:55 PM »

Liberty was on the list I saw also.

How about UMass?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2021, 03:19:15 PM »

Yeah but it was disbanded for internal, political reasons.  I think everyone who sees that from the outside realizes that.

and since returning they've been dominant in CUSA.

Liberty was on the list I saw also.

How about UMass?

UMass football is a dumpster fire, nearly as messed up as UConn. Liberty does not have many fans throughout the NCAA. Hiring the disgraced Baylor leadership is not the way to get into a bigger conference.

Buffalo makes a ton of sense though. Both football and basketball have been successful recently.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”