[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Asian Americans  (Read 16549 times)

shoothoops

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Asian Americans
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:44:15 PM »
nm

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 12:36:03 AM »
#ALM

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 06:59:22 AM »
Thoughts and prayers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 07:15:51 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 07:25:32 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 07:38:21 AM »
You do know that the shooter in Atlanta was a white, gun-loving, religious zealot, right?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/seven-killed-in-shootings-at-atlanta-spas?ref=home

...and what is your point; that whites are the only evil people that attack asians since we're just talking about violence against asians. What is so important about the color of ones skin when it comes to violence? I just don't get it; we all bleed red.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 07:41:41 AM »
Are ethnic groups targeted because of their ethnicity?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 07:49:05 AM »
...and what is your point; that whites are the only evil people that attack asians since we're just talking about violence against asians. What is so important about the color of ones skin when it comes to violence? I just don't get it; we all bleed red.

You were the one to introduce the race of those committing the violence.  Now you want to be ignorant about race? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 08:07:10 AM »

Friend, your response to this horrible, racist attack was to post an article about Blacks attacking Asian-Americans. That was YOUR response, nobody else's. YOU were the one who introduced race.

I just wanted to make sure that somebody offered the actual facts of this case.

Do you get it now?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:08:42 AM »
Friend, your response to this horrible, racist attack was to post an article about Blacks attacking Asian-Americans. That was YOUR response, nobody else's. YOU were the one who introduced race.

Do you get it now?

The guy just gets so triggered anytime someone brings up race.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 08:39:00 AM »

Do you get it now?

*An article from 11 years ago 🙄

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 08:44:19 AM »

Do you get it now?

You were the one to introduce the race of those committing the violence.  Now you want to be ignorant about race?

Really? I did not link the article in the OP. I agree it was horrible and racist, but non-whites also commit horrible racist violent acts against asians. I did not see in the report that the incidents listed were solely perpetrated by whites, yet the OP show a link of a white perpetrator so who is bringing up race? You really think the asian victim cares about the perpetrators skin color? In before the lock.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 08:51:38 AM »
Really? I did not link the article in the OP. I agree it was horrible and racist, but non-whites also commit horrible racist violent acts against asians.

No sh*t.  No one claimed otherwise.  The OP simply stated that there have been racist attacks against Asian Americans and your response was "WELL BLACKS DO IT TOO!!!"  (With an article from a decade ago.)

I did not see in the report that the incidents listed were solely perpetrated by whites, yet the OP show a link of a white perpetrator so who is bringing up race? You really think the asian victim cares about the perpetrators skin color? In before the lock.

The first link he posted made no reference to the race of the perpetrators.

The second link is a news story about a horrific act of violence.  Yes the perp was white, a fact not brought up in the story at all, but they have a picture of him.  And again, because of that you had to bring up black on Asian violence....because????

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 09:06:11 AM »
Really? I did not link the article in the OP. I agree it was horrible and racist, but non-whites also commit horrible racist violent acts against asians. I did not see in the report that the incidents listed were solely perpetrated by whites, yet the OP show a link of a white perpetrator so who is bringing up race? You really think the asian victim cares about the perpetrators skin color? In before the lock.

This is white fragility.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
I am the original poster. The first link and comment show specifics of a study about hate incidents (it describes specifics in the piece) against Asian Americans that have risen exponentially in the past 12 months. There are many more incidents that have gone unreported.

The 2nd link is about a shooting spree last night that left 8 people dead, including six Asian Women.

It's okay to have sympathy, empathy and take action. It's not okay to attack people literally or figuratively because of their race or ethnicity. Ignoring it is not okay, not good enough. It isn't something that to be normalized, ever. This particular post is about what has been going on with Asian Americans this past year in particular.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:44:44 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 09:27:07 AM »

Wow. If only white males could EVER catch a break in this country. Downtrodden for 400 years now.

Oh, and maybe if the deposed president hadn't spent most of his term demonizing China and most of 2020 calling the virus "Kung Flu," violent crime against Asian-Americans wouldn't be soaring.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:03 AM »
Oh, and maybe if the deposed president hadn't spent most of his term demonizing China and most of 2020 calling the virus "Kung Flu," violent crime against Asian-Americans wouldn't be soaring.

So this is interesting.  This isn’t meant to be “it’s not just white people!!!” but in reality, there has been a spike in the Bay Area on random acts of violence against Asian Americans.  Most of the notable cases have been perpetrated by African Americans.  Predominantly no fan of the former President for good reason.  But it would be kind of fascinating (obviously in a terrible way) if his demonization of China spurred them to this sort of animosity and violence, despite their hatred of him, if that makes sense.  We obviously associate that sort of motivation action to devoted followers, but if it was earworming and taking effect in even those opposed to him, some awful “common enemy” mindset, that would be even more insidious and ugly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
So this is interesting.  This isn’t meant to be “it’s not just white people!!!” but in reality, there has been a spike in the Bay Area on random acts of violence against Asian Americans.  Most of the notable cases have been perpetrated by African Americans.  Predominantly no fan of the former President for good reason.  But it would be kind of fascinating (obviously in a terrible way) if his demonization of China spurred them to this sort of animosity and violence, despite their hatred of him, if that makes sense.  We obviously associate that sort of motivation action to devoted followers, but if it was earworming and taking effect in even those opposed to him, some awful “common enemy” mindset, that would be even more insidious and ugly.

Agree with all of this, though it would be difficult to determine. I did just read this:

Name-calling, shunning and assault were among the nearly 3,800 hate incidents reported against Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders nationwide over the last year, according to Stop AAPI Hate.

Stop AAPI Hate was formed in March of last year to prevent discrimination during the coronavirus pandemic. The group collects data on hate and harassment incidents against Asian-Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States.

In a report released on Tuesday, the group said it had received reports of 3,292 incidents between March 1 and to Feb. 28. But it said the number could be higher because not all incidents are reported.

The report was released the same day that eight people, six of them Asian, were fatally shot at three Atlanta-area massage parlors. Stop AAPI Hate called the shootings “an unspeakable tragedy” for the victims’ families and an Asian-American community that has “been reeling from high levels of racist attacks.”

It said the shootings “will only exacerbate the fear and pain that the Asian-American community continues to endure.”

The incidents compiled by AAPI Hate included mostly verbal harassment and name-calling, or about 68 percent of those reported, while shunning, or the deliberate avoidance of Asian-Americans, composed about 20 percent. About 11 percent of the reports involved physical assault, the report said.

Activists and elected officials say attacks were fueled early in the pandemic by former President Donald J. Trump, who frequently used racist language to refer to the coronavirus.

Stop AAPI Hate said in its report that some of the people who reported hate incidents said they were spat at or coughed on. One person, a Pacific Islander, reported that while speaking Chamorro at a Dallas mall a woman coughed and said, “You and your people are the reason why we have corona.” She then said, “Go sail a boat back to your island,” according to the group.

Chinese people composed the largest ethnic group (42.2 percent) that reported experiencing hate events, followed by Koreans, Vietnamese and Filipinos.

Most of the incidents took place against women, in businesses and on public sidewalks or streets, the report said. But the events included civil rights violations such as workplace discrimination or refusal of service and online harassment.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
White privilege is when you murder eight innocent people and law enforcement says you "had a really bad day."

https://www.ajc.com/news/exclusive-spa-shooting-suspect-bought-gun-hours-before-deadly-spree/FEURWVYBEFBMJP7GLOQ6AQJ27A/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »
Sex addiction as justification.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
Sex addiction as justification.

Almost as good as the high school basketball announcer in Oklahoma last week who used diabetes as an excuse for him referring to players on the opposing team as "f----- n-----."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »
Early indications are that this is more a case of religiously-oppressed-incel-murders-those-that-tempt-him than racially motivated. Could be both I suppose.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
Are ethnic groups targeted because of their ethnicity?

Some are, some aren't.

My wife is Filipina and has been physically attacked twice, each time by an African-American. One wanted her backpack, the other was just punching random women. I could go Dr. Kendi and claim she was targeted because of white supremacy (the excused being used for the killing of the elderly Filipino man in Oakland), and her ethnicity or I could see it for what it was: random violence.

But yes, plenty are targeted because of their ethnicity, but it's magnified when the perpetrator is of a certain race.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback