[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Asian Americans  (Read 16581 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Asian Americans
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »
Not to go too off topic, and maybe its better in the other thread, but I saw a set of tweets actually complaining about this yesterday.  Not for the reasons you might think.

Basically an executive order to protect Asian Americans (which is good).  There has also been Biden EOs to protect transgender people (also good).  But nothing to protect/address African Americans similarly.

I didn't dismiss it and at the time didn't have time to dig further into it, but it made me go "hmm?"  This isn't supposed to be an attack on Biden, but more has nothing specifically been addressed cause its so widespread and almost a part of life, where similar actions to transgender and Asian Americans is more recent and out of the norm?

It will only be effective if it truly protects Asians and Asian Americans from ALL perpetrators of violence against them.

And, will it protect Asians and Asian Americans from discrimination in high school, honors programs, and college admissions? That's an area where they're also being targeted for discrimination.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »
It will only be effective if it truly protects Asians and Asian Americans from ALL perpetrators of violence against them.

And, will it protect Asians and Asian Americans from discrimination in high school, honors programs, and college admissions? That's an area where they're also being targeted for discrimination.

You seem awfully concerned about pointing out the the race of some perpetrators. Why is that so important to you.
Also, remind me how SFFA v. Harvard turned out. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2021, 11:37:30 PM »
You seem awfully concerned about pointing out the the race of some perpetrators. Why is that so important to you.
Also, remind me how SFFA v. Harvard turned out.

While I don't doubt a lot of Billy's anecdotal evidence that's turned him prejudiced I also have to say that SFFA was the most BS race lawsuit I think I've read about. Really hilarious
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2021, 08:58:28 AM »

Clearly, the answer is no.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »
an interesting article here (take it for what you will considering it's the NY Post):

https://nypost.com/2021/05/05/proud-boys-receiving-huge-asian-american-support-report-says/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

There definitely is backlash in the Asian communities regarding crime statistics of perpetrators of hate crimes against those of Asian descent being ignored or suppressed (see: CNN) and Asian students being targeted for being too successful in school (e.g., the push to eliminate the SHSAT because too many Asians are getting into the eight specialized high schools despite being the poorest demographic in NYC and now the push in CA to eliminate advanced gifted programs and advanced math tracks because too many Asians kids are in it...without saying the quiet part out loud) but this seems quite far fetched for to me. If this is legit, well, it says more about the groups pushing Asians to hate groups like the Proud Boys than Asians themselves.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »
If this is legit, well, it says more about the groups pushing Asians to hate groups like the Proud Boys than Asians themselves.

No. You're responsible for your own reactions. I've been mugged by black people and didn't join a hate group. If you join organizations like that you are not pushed into it you are choosing to group people entirely together.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback