[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 24894 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Does anyone know how to put people on ignore?

Something like go to your profile. Click buddy list/ignore list click ignore list and find the poster you're trying to ignore
Maigh Eo for Sam

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »
Thank you
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »
In this thread so far, the word "racist" has been used 8 times.

The first was brew quoting Terrence Rencher as saying he "never witnessed any racist energy" from McDermott.

The other 7 are in this screed of yours.

In other words, no Scoopers called McDermott racist.

What some of us have said is that he made a racially insensitive comment. In fact, he said that himself and profusely apologized for it.

But yes, as usual, let's turn this discussion into a familiar theme:

White males just can't catch a break in America.

No, but the media is. Deadspin had a headline that "Creighton has failed every black player and coach that’s ever been in Greg McDermott’s program."  Defector, ("extremely racist"), USA Today, SBNation, the Omaha World, ESPN, The Athletics, and others have referred to his statement/actions as "racist" and that his apology is not enough. A well-known sports anchor from SNY has called out other coaches like Izzo, Self, and Boeheim to condemn him or be labeled as racists themselves. It's why the current cottage industry is the "anti-racism" movement and people like Ibrahim X Kendi can make tens of thousands per appearance to speak to college campuses.

it has nothing to do with your "white males" claim, which is usually a default of the woke crowd. Asians and Latinos/Latinas are being tarred with the "racist" label too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
No, but the media is. Deadspin had a headline that "Creighton has failed every black player and coach that’s ever been in Greg McDermott’s program."  Defector, ("extremely racist"), USA Today, SBNation, the Omaha World, ESPN, The Athletics, and others have referred to his statement/actions as "racist" and that his apology is not enough. A well-known sports anchor from SNY has called out other coaches like Izzo, Self, and Boeheim to condemn him or be labeled as racists themselves. It's why the current cottage industry is the "anti-racism" movement and people like Ibrahim X Kendi can make tens of thousands per appearance to speak to college campuses.

it has nothing to do with your "white males" claim, which is usually a default of the woke crowd. Asians and Latinos/Latinas are being tarred with the "racist" label too.

You might want to hold off in painting McDermott as a victim (though not surprising you would).  There seems to be more than one person suggesting this isn't a one off thing for him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2021, 02:19:21 PM »
If I was a Creighton fan, I’m not sure how sorry I’d be to see McDermott go.  The guy’s teams don’t perform well in March, and I don’t think he’s all that different from Wojo.  Good enough to stick around, never quite bad enough to get fired.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 02:22:33 PM »

Your first paragraph, while entirely true, fails to show where any of this is going to make a difference in McDermott's employment.  Creighton isn't going to fire him based on what a bunch of media personalities say.  They are going to fire him when those on the inside lose confidence in him, including his players, and because it impacts recruiting. 

So if McDermott does lose his job over this, here is who is to blame:

1. McDermott
2. McDermott
3. McDermott

4. People on the inside with true impact on the program feeling that he can no longer do the job based on his statements.

5. The outside media.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
If I was a Creighton fan, I’m not sure how sorry I’d be to see McDermott go.  The guy’s teams don’t perform well in March, and I don’t think he’s all that different from Wojo.  Good enough to stick around, never quite bad enough to get fired.

He oversaw the leap from the Valley to the Big East and it was largely seamless.   He’s still winning a lot in a place far off the usual Big East map.  Having Doug helped make the transition but they’ve done better overall than I would have guessed
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2021, 02:25:05 PM »
He oversaw the leap from the Valley to the Big East and it was largely seamless.   He’s still winning a lot in a place far off the usual Big East map.  Having Doug helped make the transition but they’ve done better overall than I would have guessed

I actually thing Ethan Wragge was the key to that first team. Obviously Doug was a stellar talent but Wragge would light you up from outside so you couldn't double Doug.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2021, 02:35:26 PM »

Ah ... the media ... the default of the "I'm a victim" crowd.

His statement, even if he didn't mean it that way (and who knows, except for him) WAS racist. It doesn't mean he is a racist (or that he isn't one, again only he knows).

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2021, 02:37:04 PM »

Reasonable post. He has done only marginally better than Wojo.

And hell, the way his team blew that lead on 1/9/19 should have been a fire-able offense right there!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »
When in history have the people who ban books and censor speech been the good guys?
Asking for a friencd

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
When in history have the people who ban books and censor speech been the good guys?
Asking for a friencd

Immediately Post WW2? In E and W Germany
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 02:39:37 PM »
Asking for a friencd

The government should not ban books or censor speech.

Answering for a friend.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2021, 02:42:31 PM »
Boy, I don't know if I would be excited about getting rid of McDermott under normal circumstances.  He is coaching a BE team in Nebraska and is arguably the best coach in their history outside of Dana Altman.

Last year they won the BE regular season and were projected as high as a two-seed in the tournament.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
Asking for a friencd

Who is banning books or censoring speech?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »
I actually thing Ethan Wragge was the key to that first team. Obviously Doug was a stellar talent but Wragge would light you up from outside so you couldn't double Doug.

He was amazing.  Those were fun teams
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »
If McD is toast are there any recruits or players there we can poach?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2021, 02:49:48 PM »
Would you want McDermott at Marquette after these comments?

No.

He's done.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
Who is banning books or censoring speech?
Dude!  Dr. Seuss. Cancel culture etc.etc.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2021, 02:50:50 PM »
Eh, maybe.  He said he immediately apologized, and it is the first time something like this has come up with him.  If there was more to it, there would be more reports from players and coworkers... sort of like there was with Gregg Marshall.

I think this story is over unless other past allegations arise.

I agree 100%. I doubt many blacks were offended - although I do not presume to speak for them.

It's pretty easy to spot racists whether here on Scoop or in the real world. McDermott isn't one of them and I expect little fallout.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2021, 02:56:38 PM »
Dude!  Dr. Seuss. Cancel culture etc.etc.

The company that owns the rights to publish Dr. Suess books is deciding not to publish them.  That's not "banning books."  It's a private company making a decision that private companies make.

And who is censoring speech?  No one is being arrested for saying things.  People are facing consequences for the free speech they execute, but that's always been the case.

Cancel culture just isn't really a thing outside of another way conservatives have turned themselves into the victim-class.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
I agree 100%. I doubt many blacks were offended - although I do not presume to speak for them.

It's pretty easy to spot racists whether here on Scoop or in the real world. McDermott isn't one of them and I expect little fallout.

Unless there is more to the story or it starts impacting the team and/or recruiting, I expect him to still be in Omaha.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2021, 02:58:44 PM »
If McD is toast are there any recruits or players there we can poach?

I believe the big east has a rule that prohibits players from enrolling at other Big East institutions once they sign their letter of intent with a Big east school. This came up a few years ago when we speculated about a transfer from new Mexico coming to MU but found he couldn't because he had previously signed with butler
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
Sounds like a two tiered school system to me. How more in depth learning can there be for fourth grade math. There should be no excuse for fourth graders not knowing how to add, subtract, multiply and divide because having those skills fractions, decimals, and percentages are easily understood. At those grade levels a test should be used not separate high scorers and put them in a special class but to give remedial help to those students who did not score as well so they can catch up.

They do this in all white private catholic schools as well.  Kids are placed in different math classes than their peers based on their grades and abilities starting in fourth grade.  It sets the more mathematically inclined ones up for advancement and highschool AP courses and the others for the regular track.  The mathematically inclined kids benefit nicely and aren’t bored while waiting for others to catch up.  The “normal” kids benefit from not going so fast an learning at a pace that allows them time to absorb the material. Both sets of kids are wildly successful in their studies in high school.  Some kids are just smarter than others in different subjects and need to be challenged. 

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2021, 03:02:53 PM »

The company that owns the rights to publish Dr. Suess books is deciding not to publish them.  That's not "banning books."  It's a private company making a decision that private companies make.

And who is censoring speech?  No one is being arrested for saying things.  People are facing consequences for the free speech they execute, but that's always been the case.

Cancel culture just isn't really a thing outside of another way conservatives have turned themselves into the victim-class.

That's not what Fox said though!

feedback