[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 25284 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »

Bill Maher is an entertainer, entertaining you. 

edit: btw I didn't mean to imply that the picture was you, just messing around.

Ok, I get it. 

It is real though, even President Obama has called it out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHLd8de6nM

There are people that absolutely deserve it, but it's been weaponized as part of a push for purity.  One example: a few weeks ago my wife was rejected from joining her company's DEI committee. The rationale provided by an African-American on the committee was Asians don't face hardships and discrimination. She wanted to say something but was scared of the possible consequences for questioning him and explaining her background (child of immigrants who fled due to political persecution). That's a problem.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2021, 11:43:28 AM »
Ok, I get it. 

It is real though, even President Obama has called it out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHLd8de6nM

There are people that absolutely deserve it, but it's been weaponized as part of a push for purity.  One example: a few weeks ago my wife was rejected from joining her company's DEI committee. The rationale provided by an African-American on the committee was Asians don't face hardships and discrimination. She wanted to say something but was scared of the possible consequences for questioning him and explaining her background (child of immigrants who fled due to political persecution). That's a problem.

You and your wife could get enough money to retire and live very comfortably either part of that is true (she was told she couldn’t be on the DEI committee because of that OR she fears there would be consequences for speaking up and explaining her background).

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »
I've always found additional hypocrisy in pro-lifers also being pro-death penalty. "Every life is sacred...except this one."
There is more reason in that stance (which could also be described as save the innocent, condemn the guilty) than the reverse, which is pro-abortion and anti-death penalty (kill the innocent and save the guilty). 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »
There is more reason in that stance (which could also be described as save the innocent, condemn the guilty) than the reverse, which is pro-abortion and anti-death penalty (kill the innocent and save the guilty).

1. Only if you happily ignore the teachings of Christ should you be pro death penalty. I fully admit to ignoring them, but I'm not using religion as my starting point for the other issue you're discussing.

2. Your point only makes sense from the pro life standpoint. It's why this whole argument will never be solved. Because as long as one side views it as a full fledged persons life and the other views it as not a full fledged persons life then the argument will go nowhere. It's essentially akin to an argument of whether vegetarians should eat eggs. Many will say no because it's an animal many will say they aren't meat so it's ok. And then there's the people who say "well what about Balut?" And almost everyone says "well that's just not ok"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:03:57 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
1. Only if you happily ignore the teachings of Christ should you be pro death penalty. I fully admit to ignoring them, but I'm not using religion as my starting point for the other issue you're discussing.

2. Your point only makes sense from the pro life standpoint. It's why this whole argument will never be solved. Because as long as one side views it as a full fledged persons life and the other views it as not a full fledged persons life then the argument will go nowhere. It's essentially akin to an argument of whether vegetarians should eat eggs. Many will say no because it's an animal many will say they aren't meat so it's ok. And then there's the people who say "well what about Balut?" And almost everyone says "well that's just not ok"

So, anyone have a revised opinion as to whether we want to pull Creighton as a possible 2nd rd opponent at the Big East Tournament now?

Or wanna keep up the circular handshake extravaganza about cancel culture?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 05, 2021, 12:13:26 PM »
So, anyone have a revised opinion as to whether we want to pull Creighton as a possible 2nd rd opponent at the Big East Tournament now?

Or wanna keep up the circular handshake extravaganza about cancel culture?

Sorry, I tried not to get pulled in :(

I vote Creighton over Nova. we've shown we can compete with the former. The later just being down one player doesn't make up two embarrassing losses. The first of which was when we were still playing semi decent
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
Agree, if 'pro life' = life begins at conception. Which you would only believe if your religion tells you it does. But other religions, and science, tell you differently. yes there are medical people who say that life begins a fertilization but the majority are either at 12 or 20 weeks. So what pro life means in reality is that they want others to abide by their religious beliefs.

Edit: Creighton for sure. Nova will have 10 days to adjust and be 90% as dangerous, probably keeps them out of the Elite8 but doesn't stop them from beating us by 15
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:24:15 PM by naginiF »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2021, 12:27:37 PM »
Yeah I'm with y'all, a Creighton team that might be on tilt seems a better chance than a devastating team down one piece. Mind you, I'm not sure it matters either way... but I'd take whatever sequence of wins/losses puts us on Creighton's line.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2021, 12:35:25 PM »
I think he's pointing out the hypocrisy of saying "keep the government out of my life" while also demanding that the government intrude on one of the most personal decisions of a person's life.
It's fine to be pro-life, but you can't be pro-life AND argue against government intrusion in individual lives or personal decisions.

Yep. This clear point goes right over some people's heads when their minds are clouded by righteous indignation.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »
Agree, if 'pro life' = life begins at conception. Which you would only believe if your religion tells you it does. But other religions, and science, tell you differently. yes there are medical people who say that life begins a fertilization but the majority are either at 12 or 20 weeks. So what pro life means in reality is that they want others to abide by their religious beliefs.

We are also talking about competing rights including the right of someone to medically chose what they want to do with their own body.

That is why there can and should be shades of gray here.  I can be pro-choice, where I believe the rights of the mother are greater than the rights of the unborn....to a point.  And then after that, the rights of the unborn are more important.  Where is that point?  I don't really know, but "first trimester" is as good a point as any.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »

We are also talking about competing rights including the right of someone to medically chose what they want to do with their own body.

That is why there can and should be shades of gray here.  I can be pro-choice, where I believe the rights of the mother are greater than the rights of the unborn....to a point.  And then after that, the rights of the unborn are more important.  Where is that point?  I don't really know, but "first trimester" is as good a point as any.

Aka You'd be in the "eating balut is just wrong" crowd in my analogy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2021, 01:07:27 PM »

Not really.
I'd venture to guess most pro choice people don't believe a weeks-old fetus with zero chance of survival outside its mother's womb is a life, and certainly not the the same as a fully developed adult.

And there are reasons to be opposed to capital punishment beyond a "sanctity of life" argument, i.e. the fact that the judicial system makes lots of mistakes, clear inequities in who gets the death penalty and who doesn't, and a belief that the state shouldn't be killing some citizens in the name of other citizens.
Then there's the sheer randomness of it. If I kill 10 people in California, I'm not getting the death penalty. But if my accomplice in a botched robbery in Texas shoots someone in the leg, the doctor messes up in the ER and the poor victim dies, I might be getting the needle.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:15:28 PM by Pakuni »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2021, 01:11:52 PM »
Josh Hawley claimed to have been canceled ... in a front-page op-ed published by the nation's 6th largest newspaper.
Didn't he make that claim from the platform of a prime time television slot?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2021, 01:21:33 PM »

I guess dads have no right to be dads.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »

Dude. McDermott.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
Because I am a man I should be able to force a woman to have a baby?  Is that your point?  If so that's gross.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »
cancelled locked