Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 25446 times)

NolongerWarriors

• All American
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »

To me, that's one of the biggest hypocrisies of the GOP. They lament 'cancel culture' at the same time they try to cancel the foundation of democracy for millions of Americans.

It's like when they lament government intrusion in peoples' lives, and then give full-throated support to the government telling a woman what she can do with her body.

You forgot the body of the unborn child in question.

This isn't a woman getting a tattoo or piercing.

Be honest.  You're talking  about ending a human life.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
You forgot the body of the unborn child in question.

This isn't a woman getting a tattoo or piercing.

Be honest.  You're talking  about ending a human life.

Good god. Somebody just report the whole thread and it get it locked this isn't going to end well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
Should we mercy Godwin it? Who wants to go first?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2021, 10:31:05 AM »
Do you know him?  What’s in his heart?
absolutely not...but I’m not the one condemning him.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
Suspended for final game.....I'd say he is probably down at Home Depot picking up some cardboard boxes cause he gone (soon)
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2021, 10:37:30 AM »
absolutely not...but I’m not the one condemning him.

Neither am I.  But that's not the context in which you asked the question.  You asked it around if Marquette should hire him.

Regardless, here is what I do know....

1. There were reports about racial issues in the Creighton program before.
2. He made a racially insensitive statement to the team last week.
3. Creighton felt the need to suspend him.

So "what's in his heart" is largely meaningless.  His actions and statements could accurately represent him - or they could be different, better or worse.  I do know that college coaches are paid a lot of money.  It's a position of privilege.  And if they do dumb stuff, they can lose that privilege.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »

To me, that's one of the biggest hypocrisies of the GOP. They lament 'cancel culture' at the same time they try to cancel the foundation of democracy for millions of Americans.

It's like when they lament government intrusion in peoples' lives, and then give full-throated support to the government telling a woman what she can do with her body.
so, in the name of ‘freedom’, abortion...ending a life...is ok? Not being snarky, just trying to understand your take.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »
Nazis.

IBTL.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
so, in the name of ‘freedom’, abortion...ending a life...is ok? Not being snarky, just trying to understand your take.

In the name of it not being any of my business, I think a woman should be able to choose.  You don't carry that baby.  It literally does not affect you, whatsoever.

Spare me the outrage of dead fetuses when we needlessly bomb live children throughout the world.  Its repugnant.

Lock er up.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »

I think he's pointing out the hypocrisy of saying "keep the government out of my life" while also demanding that the government intrude on one of the most personal decisions of a person's life.
It's fine to be pro-life, but you can't be pro-life AND argue against government intrusion in individual lives or personal decisions.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
Ok, there's some things that should be considered in all of this. First, Coach McDermott is not perfect. We know that and I'd venture to guess that so does he. We learn through the Faith many of us hold that we should forgive. I believe that's a foundation of the Lord's Prayer. He said something he should not have said. The Catholic Christian thing to do (and, yes folks, he works for a Catholic Christian university) is to forgive and work to ensure the problem doesn't happen again.

Second, we innocent bystanders should consider the lesson in John, Chapter 8, Verse 7. Jesus said it best: "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone."

Nothing more to say here, folks.

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
Ok, there's some things that should be considered in all of this. First, Coach McDermott is not perfect. We know that and I'd venture to guess that so does he. We learn through the Faith many of us hold that we should forgive. I believe that's a foundation of the Lord's Prayer. He said something he should not have said. The Catholic Christian thing to do (and, yes folks, he works for a Catholic Christian university) is to forgive and work to ensure the problem doesn't happen again.

Second, we innocent bystanders should consider the lesson in John, Chapter 8, Verse 7. Jesus said it best: "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone."

Gotcha.  So no one should exercise any judgement ever because everyone has sinned previously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »

So stop being played. There is no such thing as cancel culture.  It's your new dog whistle, just like 'fake news' was for years... just like every simplistic bit of jargon that gets created in a board room and passed down by the media for you consume.

actually, there is, and it's on both sides. But, as Bill Maher said last Friday, the GOP has co-opted it for their side while ignoring the fact they have also engaged in it.  Meanwhile, the far left gleefully trumpets their successful "cancellation" of individuals and calls for the "cancellation" of people like Drew Brees for making a single comment.  The ironic part of this is the author himself should have been "cancelled" but instead threw his colleague under the bus to protect his own ass...and it worked (https://miketunison.substack.com/p/fun-with-drew-magary)

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/Drew-Magary-cancel-culture-15495803.php

This is a long overdue correction to both pop culture and American culture in general, and it’s hardly over. We need to cancel MORE people and we need to make it stick. Thus far, the Internet has chosen its targets well. If, God forbid, we cancel one person who shouldn’t be canceled, well that’s still one person compared to the massive amount of human collateral damage the rest of The Canceled have left in their wake.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:03:04 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »

Gotcha.  So no one should exercise any judgement ever because everyone has sinned previously.

Welp, there goes the jury system.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2021, 11:04:20 AM »
actually, there is, and it's on both sides. But, as Bill Maher said last Friday, the GOP has co-opted it for their side while ignoring the fact they have also engaged in it.  Meanwhile, the far left gleefully trumpets their successful "cancellation" of individuals and calls for the "cancellation" of people like Drew Brees for making a single comment.  The ironic part of this is the author himself should have been "cancelled" but instead threw his colleague under the bus to protect his own ass...and it worked.

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/Drew-Magary-cancel-culture-15495803.php

This is a long overdue correction to both pop culture and American culture in general, and it’s hardly over. We need to cancel MORE people and we need to make it stick. Thus far, the Internet has chosen its targets well. If, God forbid, we cancel one person who shouldn’t be canceled, well that’s still one person compared to the massive amount of human collateral damage the rest of The Canceled have left in their wake.

Bill Maher is an entertainer, entertaining you. 

edit: btw I didn't mean to imply that the picture was you, just messing around.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:05:52 AM by Hards_Alumni »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2021, 11:04:43 AM »
I think he's pointing out the hypocrisy of saying "keep the government out of my life" while also demanding that the government intrude on one of the most personal decisions of a person's life.
It's fine to be pro-life, but you can't be pro-life AND argue against government intrusion in individual lives or personal decisions.

I've always found additional hypocrisy in pro-lifers also being pro-death penalty. "Every life is sacred...except this one."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »

Bill Maher is an entertainer, entertaining you.

when you've got no retort, post a meme.  And here I thought that was just a right-winger strategy.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »

Brother Fluff, are you serious?

If one asks for forgiveness and is truly repentant, it's our duty as Catholic Christians to give him or her a chance. Doesn't mean they don't have atone for their sin, as Coach McDermott will, but if a person is truly sorry and expresses remorse, then I'm up for benefit of the doubt.

Secondly, we're all the peanut gallery. The point of bringing this up is that we're not perfect and we're not a party to this. Unless you're going to play basketball at Creighton or unless you are applying to be head coach at Creighton, it aint our business.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
when you've got no retort, post a meme.  And here I thought that was just a right-winger strategy.

Yeah, I knew you'd take it the way you did... its why I added the edit.  The words under the meme was my retort.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2021, 11:07:37 AM »

If one asks for forgiveness and is truly repentant, it's our duty as Catholic Christians to give him or her a chance. Doesn't mean they don't have atone for their sin, as Coach McDermott will, but if a person is truly sorry and expresses remorse, then I'm up for benefit of the doubt.

Secondly, we're all the peanut gallery. The point of brining this up is that we're not perfect and we're not a party to this. Unless you're going to play basketball at Creighton or unless you are applying to be head coach at Creighton, it aint our business.

Okay, but what if the repentant person repeats their mistake?  Just apologize forever?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2021, 11:08:18 AM »
I think there is a cancel culture that can heap undeserved scorn and insult on well-meaning people for legitimate mistakes.

But when you hear some politician or public figure complaining about being a victim of cancel culture, 99 times out of 100 it's because they don't like the consequences of their sh*tty behavior.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
actually, there is, and it's on both sides. But, as Bill Maher said last Friday, the GOP has co-opted it for their side while ignoring the fact they have also engaged in it.  Meanwhile, the far left gleefully trumpets their successful "cancellation" of individuals and calls for the "cancellation" of people like Drew Brees for making a single comment.  The ironic part of this is the author himself should have been "cancelled" but instead threw his colleague under the bus to protect his own ass...and it worked (https://miketunison.substack.com/p/fun-with-drew-magary)

One idiot calls for it and you post it. Click the link

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Appeal-to-Authority
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2021, 11:16:52 AM »

Secondly, we're all the peanut gallery. The point of bringing this up is that we're not perfect and we're not a party to this. Unless you're going to play basketball at Creighton or unless you are applying to be head coach at Creighton, it aint our business.

Then you can feel free to exit the topic.  Thanks.

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »

Again, just because SOME people get outraged over SOME comments, that doesn't mean cancel culture is a thing.

Drew Brees continued to be employed.  Greg McDermott was going to survive the issues alleged about his program until he opened his mouth and said something stupid.  The vast majority of Dr. Suess books are still around.

Maybe have some perspective here.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »

Forgiveness doesn't mean lack of accountability. What if he murdered someone? Clearly your response would not be the same without accountability. Or would it be okay to murder people at a Catholic University?

He can be fired and forgiven at the same time. And, he can put in the time to work to do better to find opportunity elsewhere.

The question in this example, is what is the appropriate accountability in response to his actions, the racist comments. And they will take various things into consideration and come up with what they deem appropriate accountability for his actions.

This is more about how much or how little one values his racist comments, (combined with whatever his history is there) as opposed to religion.

feedback