[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 25348 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« on: March 03, 2021, 11:40:44 PM »
Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign after racially insensitive comments to men's basketball team
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31000499/creighton-coach-greg-mcdermott-says-offered-resign-racially-insensitive-comments-men-basketball-team

He did it correctly. He asked the players the comment was addressed to what they thought should be done.

Hopefully, this is the end of it.

Creighton men's basketball coach Greg McDermott, who previously apologized for urging his players to "stay on the plantation" in a postgame locker room talk following a loss over the weekend, said on Wednesday that he offered to resign over his comments.

McDermott said on Creighton's pregame radio show before a 72-60 loss to No. 10 Villanova that he had a long meeting with players on Sunday night and said he saw "pain in their face(s)" and hoped "one mistake doesn't define you."

McDermott said he wanted to make sure the Bluejays wanted him to remain as coach and apologized for the "distraction that I brought to this team for the choice that I made."

McDermott said the Bluejays -- whose players wear "equality" on the back of their jerseys -- did not ask for him to resign.

"Our guys wanted me to coach and that's my job," McDermott said.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 02:17:23 AM »
Hopefully, this is the end of it.

Agreed, but I'm dubious. All it takes is one former player or disgruntled person etc claiming he said whatever. He could be taken down with a feather right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
I think the long term ramifications are the real problem. The negative recruiting story writes itself and doesn't go away after March.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »
I think the long term ramifications are the real problem. The negative recruiting story writes itself and doesn't go away after March.

Eh, maybe.  He said he immediately apologized, and it is the first time something like this has come up with him.  If there was more to it, there would be more reports from players and coworkers... sort of like there was with Gregg Marshall.

I think this story is over unless other past allegations arise.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:27:28 AM »
Eh, maybe.  He said he immediately apologized, and it is the first time something like this has come up with him.  If there was more to it, there would be more reports from players and coworkers... sort of like there was with Gregg Marshall.

As a stand alone I agree, but depending on what happened behind the scenes with the NCAA violations a couple of years back there could also be a trend of questionable behavior that adds up. I know the assistant that was the cause of the investigation left the program but don't know if any of that touched McDermott.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:57:33 AM »
Creighton, welcome to rock and hard place
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »
As a stand alone I agree, but depending on what happened behind the scenes with the NCAA violations a couple of years back there could also be a trend of questionable behavior that adds up. I know the assistant that was the cause of the investigation left the program but don't know if any of that touched McDermott.

Remember there were also some allegations from former Black players just a few months ago.  Then you have McDermott using words like plantation, and apparently he has lost the team....

I think he's done.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:11:57 AM »

I think it gets him through the end of the season with players that know him, but when it comes to a 2022, 2023, or further beyond recruit, it will be the option of going with the guy that told his players to stay on the plantation or another coach that didn't. When stories like this go national, it's easy fodder.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »

Remember there were also some allegations from former Black players just a few months ago.  Then you have McDermott using words like plantation, and apparently he has lost the team....

I think he's done.

Yea. I wouldn’t be surprised if the players said we’ve got a good season going, let’s ride it out. Just because he didn’t resign today, doesn’t mean he’s long for Creighton.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:31:47 AM »

I think he's done.

Justin Patton & Mo Watson didn’t waste any time to let their thoughts be known.

Agree with others. Good luck recruiting moving forward. Seth Trimble, 2022 offer of theirs from Mf, his mother was online saying she won’t be sending her son there

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
I also thought Terrence Rencher's comments were worth looking at:

“I am deeply hurt by his words,” said Rencher, who is Black. “While my relationship with Coach has been positive and I have never witnessed any racist energy from him, what he said was wrong and insensitive. ‘Plantation’ had a dark and hurtful history in my community and cannot be overlooked.

The players have decided that they want to continue to chase their goals on the court this season with Coach McDermott, and I support their wishes and will continue to pour my heart into coaching them and helping them deal with larger issues.”

I wonder if the "this season" part is telling. Basically, the team is in to finish out this campaign, but all bets are off once their NCAA run is over.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »
NM

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:41:38 AM by shoothoops »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »
Who TF even says the word plantation?  How is that in your lexicon?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 08:57:09 AM »
That is what I was thinking.  How does that even accidentally pop out of your mouth?

As far as the Big East is concerned, the league is starting to sink a bit because top coaches are leaving, so I'd hate to have to see him leave.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »
Such a weird phrase to come out of someone's mouth, especially since its not the 80s or something. Seems like he owned up and hopes to grow as a person. Its not like he deflected his responsibility and didnt own up to it, like so many other people do with their "apologies".
Its not right what he said, but noone is perfect. We can only hope people change and become more aware of their words and the impact they have.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 09:03:51 AM »
Based on what we know today, I hope McDermott can survive this. I believe strongly in second chances, especially when the offending party seems genuinely contrite and willing to work to improve.

But the reality is that if Creighton's administration sees this as something that can hurt the program going forward, they have little choice to move on ... and it effectively will end McDermott's career.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »
Such a weird phrase to come out of someone's mouth, especially since its not the 80s or something. Seems like he owned up and hopes to grow as a person. Its not like he deflected his responsibility and didnt own up to it, like so many other people do with their "apologies".
Its not right what he said, but noone is perfect. We can only hope people change and become more aware of their words and the impact they have.

While this is undoubtedly true, Creighton may legit feel that he can change and become more aware on someone else's dime.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
I think there are steps he can take and Creighton can take to save his job.   For example, take 1/4 of his salary for the next couple years and fund diversity sensitivity classes for the university and community.  Greg attends.   

The details can be worked out, but something on that track.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 09:21:29 AM »
Like others have said, I think he's gone after the season.

It's one thing for this year's players to want an experienced coach to keep coaching them when they're having a good season. It's another for a coach to recruit new players with a story like that floating around. And it isn't a story abut something he said or did years ago; it's something he said in the middle of today's social and racial tensions.

Maybe he can salvage it, but it would be an uphill climb.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 09:25:05 AM »
Based on what we know today, I hope McDermott can survive this.

Greg shouldn't say racially insensitive things. I don't feel bad for him

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »
Leave colloquialisms out of your speeches. Unfortunate use of that phrase but I have heard it used a long time ago. Think about the alternative choices he could have used:  "Circle the wagons" or "Gather the troops". Not good either in today's world but they are used even today in sports or media. Is there one of us who has not used those two phrases?

Unless there is something else that comes out, his mistake is something we can all learn from. He apologized, he is getting penalized, and he is contrite.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »

I mean it is Nebraska...
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 09:46:02 AM »
I've never heard that expression used in that way. It's a weird one to use tbh.

It will be interesting to see if he survives this. I could see it going either way. Gut says he steps down at the end of the year, but it's not a firmly held conviction.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
If this comment was the extent of it. I think he would probably survive it. My thought is based on comments from former players and some comments recently, this might be more than a one-time incident.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »
Doesn't seem like this is the first instance though. If Justin Patton is anything to go off of.

feedback