[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 25341 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
McD has done and said all the right things to apologize for a one time lapse in judgement. Assuming he is genuine (which only he would know) and assuming this isn't part of a pattern of behavior, I hope he learns and grows from this and is able to retain his job.

If it is part of a pattern of behavior, this reads as a lot less genuine and more about covering himself the first time he got caught.

Either way, this will severely limit his ability on the recruiting trail for a while. There are so many good college coaches and programs, why give time to the one who told his players to stay on the plantation? Creighton will ultimately need to decide what is best for their program moving forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 09:55:02 AM »
Doesn't seem like this is the first instance though. If Justin Patton is anything to go off of.

Yeah that's ominous
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
Leave colloquialisms out of your speeches. Unfortunate use of that phrase but I have heard it used a long time ago. Think about the alternative choices he could have used:  "Circle the wagons" or "Gather the troops". Not good either in today's world but they are used even today in sports or media. Is there one of us who has not used those two phrases?

Unless there is something else that comes out, his mistake is something we can all learn from. He apologized, he is getting penalized, and he is contrite.
Agree with all of this. I certainly heard that phrase from my parents growing up, along with its variant, "don't leave the reservation" (equal opportunity racism!).
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 10:19:42 AM »
Based on what we know today, I hope McDermott can survive this. I believe strongly in second chances, especially when the offending party seems genuinely contrite and willing to work to improve.

But the reality is that if Creighton's administration sees this as something that can hurt the program going forward, they have little choice to move on ... and it effectively will end McDermott's career.

The AD and president flew out to cincinnati to meet with McDermott after this was found out.  This is a mess.  Under McDermott's social media apology, Zegarowski's dad offered support.  immediately after that, their backup point guard's (Shareef Mitchell) brother responded that the Zegarowski's didn't understand because Marcus isn't black.  Marcus then responded that he completely understands and is half black.  Never good when the families of the starting point guard and backup point guard are arguing on social media over the significance of this.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »
Leave colloquialisms out of your speeches. Unfortunate use of that phrase but I have heard it used a long time ago. Think about the alternative choices he could have used:  "Circle the wagons" or "Gather the troops". Not good either in today's world but they are used even today in sports or media. Is there one of us who has not used those two phrases?

Unless there is something else that comes out, his mistake is something we can all learn from. He apologized, he is getting penalized, and he is contrite.
100% agree but help me with my ignorance, what's the origin of 'gather the troops'? plantation/reservation/down the river/wagons/etc I know the origins, but assumed 'gather the troops' was just a generic military reference

Slick

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
Does anybody know why Mitchell played more than Mahoney vs. Nova?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 10:44:25 AM »
Greg shouldn't say racially insensitive things. I don't feel bad for him

Of course he shouldn't say racially insensitive things, and I didn't say I felt bad for him.

I said I believe in second chances and hope he can survive this. Which is quite different.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »

Unfortunately Dr.B, when it comes to this particular subject, the world we're living in today doesn't permit mistakes or discussions.  Now granted, I'm not sure that word has been used in 50+ years, but apologies won't get you very far.   In light of the people that have lost their jobs over far less, and that McD maybe uttered similar things in the past, I would be surprised if he's back next season. 

As an aside I just read that Boston Public Schools are canceling Advanced Work courses because there are too many Asian and White students.  So in some cases, unlike McD, you're guilty for not admitting your guilty by existing.  I don't think this is where we want to go as a society.  Equality and Equity are entirely separate issues. I think we're getting very close to a Civil War if the trajectory continues.  Every thing you have stated is fair Dr. B and 100% accurate.  We should be able to make mistakes and learn from them.  Sadly, this doesn't appear to be the case anymore when a certain dynamic is part of the equation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:49:57 AM by MuggsyB »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »
Unfortunately Dr.B, when it comes to this particular subject, the world we're living in today doesn't permit mistakes or discussions.  Now granted, I'm not sure that word has been used in 50+ years, but apologies won't get you very far.   In light of the people that have lost their jobs over far less, and that McD maybe uttered similar things in the past, I would be surprised if he's back next season. 

As an aside I just read that Boston Public Schools are canceling Advanced Work courses because there are too many Asian and White students.  So in some cases, unlike McD, you're guilty for not admitting your guilty by existing.  I don't think this is where we want to go as a society.  Equality and Equity are entirely separate issues. I think we're getting very close to a Civil War if the trajectory continues.  Every thing you have stated is fair Dr. B and 100% accurate.  We should be able to make mistakes and learn from them.  Sadly, this doesn't appear to be the case anymore when a certain dynamic is part of the equation.

Muggsy I invite you to fact check your sources and not just repeat inflammatory headlines. What you're doing currently is only fanning flames rather than investigating reality.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boston-schools-white-asian/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:53:13 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
Yeah, let's not push this over to IBTL territory ...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »
Unfortunately Dr.B, when it comes to this particular subject, the world we're living in today doesn't permit mistakes or discussions.

Please.  Plenty of people have done and said worse without recourse.  But if you are in a high-profile position, you have to be better.  Period.

As an aside I just read that Boston Public Schools are canceling Advanced Work courses because there are too many Asian and White students.

FFS.

That's not what happened and that's not the reason.  Please try to get your news from better sources.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/education/2021/02/26/citing-racial-inequities-boston-public-schools-suspend-advanced-learning-classes

**The program has not been "cancelled"
**New enrollments have been suspended because they cannot equally administer the test in a remote learning environment.
**Yes, they are concerned about why even in disproportionately minority schools, the majority of the students enrolled are white.  There could be any number of reasons for this.  Perhaps the program has outlived its usefulness and something new needs to be developed.

I think we're getting very close to a Civil War if the trajectory continues.

Because one side keeps getting manipulated to think that society is falling apart around them.  "OH MY GOD THEY AREN'T GOING TO PUBLISH SIX OF DR. SUESS'S BOOKS ANYMORE!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOCIETY!!!???!!!"

If the same publisher makes the same decision without announcing it, no one would no or care.  But its got one side ginned up to the point of absurdity.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:15 AM »
I agree Fluffy  finding racism in everything these days is absurd.  Meanwhile millions of Americans of all races interact with each other each day working, eating at play etc. without any racial rancor. But that is not what makes headlines .

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »
Please.  Plenty of people have done and said worse without recourse.  But if you are in a high-profile position, you have to be better.  Period.

FFS.

That's not what happened and that's not the reason.  Please try to get your news from better sources.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/education/2021/02/26/citing-racial-inequities-boston-public-schools-suspend-advanced-learning-classes

**New enrollments have been suspended because they cannot equally administer the test in a remote learning environment.
**Yes, they are concerned about why even in disproportionately minority schools, the majority of the students enrolled are white.  There could be any number of reasons for this.  Perhaps the program has outlived its usefulness and something new needs to be developed.

Because one side keeps getting manipulated to think that society is falling apart around them.  "OH MY GOD THEY AREN'T GOING TO PUBLISH SIX OF DR. SUESS'S BOOKS ANYMORE!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOCIETY!!!???!!!"

If the same publisher makes the same decision without announcing it, no one would no or care.  But its got one side ginned up to the point of absurdity.

All of this, Fluffy.  Well said
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
Muggsy I invite you to fact check your sources and not just repeat inflammatory headlines. What you're doing currently is only fanning flames rather than investigating reality.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boston-schools-white-asian/

Sounds like a two tiered school system to me. How more in depth learning can there be for fourth grade math. There should be no excuse for fourth graders not knowing how to add, subtract, multiply and divide because having those skills fractions, decimals, and percentages are easily understood. At those grade levels a test should be used not separate high scorers and put them in a special class but to give remedial help to those students who did not score as well so they can catch up.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2021, 11:44:15 AM »
Sounds like a two tiered school system to me. How more in depth learning can there be for fourth grade math. There should be no excuse for fourth graders not knowing how to add, subtract, multiply and divide because having those skills fractions, decimals, and percentages are easily understood. At those grade levels a test should be used not separate high scorers and put them in a special class but to give remedial help to those students who did not score as well so they can catch up.

Agreed.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »
Snopes is not regarded as the most reliable checker of facts. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »

exactly. it doesn't matter if there was no intent, he's obviously a racist. It doesn't matter that he's been an advocate for African-American players for years, he's a racist for saying something dumb without malice aforethought one time. It doesn't matter that he supported a Black player who was suspended by the university after he was accused of sexual assault, he obviously didn't do enough and is a racist. If he had said "you guys need to try harder" that would be racist since it's been determined that saying that (and the "Protestant Work Ethic") is rooted in racism. Dana O'Neill of the Athletic referred to McDermott's words as "hateful" and "horrific" and that it would be justified that him yelling at his players can be construed at racist.

While you are incorrect about exactly what is going on in Boston (it's still stupid), we've entered an era where teachers requiring students to show work and getting the right answer in Math is racist, imperialist, and a tool of white supremacy. We have a professor at USC using a Chinese word during a lesson on "filler words" was suspended because the word SOUNDED like a racist term used in the English language to some students.  Or the female principal fired because, according to her boss, she "unintentionally offended" some people when she shared an opinion about the BLM organization. Hell, my wife was called a "white privilege b---h" because she got out of our car and directed traffic because an impromptu BLM car parade was ignoring stop lights and causing a large back-up on a freeway off-ramp. She's Asian but for her to be a target is ok because of the privilege she's been told she's benefitted from by being a first-gen "anchor baby" whose family fled political persecution. Her family's academic accomplishments are proof that she's benefitted from white supremacy, which was a reason she was rejected to mentor minority interns.

This is why 62% of individuals in a recent poll, including 52% of Democrats, are scared of what they say and feel the need to "self-censor" for fear of being accused of racism or intolerance. McDermott said something dumb, he made a bad choice of words. His life should not be ruined by it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:11:37 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 11:51:55 AM »

FFS.

I read that they were canceling 5th and 6th grade enrollment for next year.  The source may be wrong, ty.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2021, 12:14:36 PM »
exactly. it doesn't matter if there was no intent, he's obviously a racist. It doesn't matter that he's been an advocate for African-American players for years, he's a racist for saying something dumb without malice aforethought one time. It doesn't matter that he supported a Black player who was suspended by the university after he was accused of sexual assault, he obviously didn't do enough and is a racist. If he had said "you guys need to try harder" that would be racist since it's been determined that saying that (and the "Protestant Work Ethic") is rooted in racism. Dana O'Neill of the Athletic referred to McDermott's words as "hateful" and "horrific" and that it would be justified that him yelling at his players can be construed at racist.

While you are incorrect about exactly what is going on in Boston (it's still stupid), we've entered an era where teachers requiring students to show work and getting the right answer in Math is racist, imperialist, and a tool of white supremacy. We have a professor at USC using a Chinese word during a lesson on "filler words" was suspended because the word SOUNDED like a racist term used in the English language to some students.  Hell, my wife was called a "white privilege b---h" because she got out of our car and directed traffic because an impromptu BLM parade was ignoring stop lights and causing a large back-up on a freeway off-ramp. She's Asian but for her to be a target is ok because of the privilege of being a first-gen "anchor baby" whose family fled political persecution.

This is why 62% of individuals in a recent poll, including 52% of Democrats, are scared of what they say and feel the need to "self-censor" for fear of being accused of racism or intolerance. McDermott said something dumb, he made a bad choice of words. His life should not be ruined by it.

In this thread so far, the word "racist" has been used 8 times.

The first was brew quoting Terrence Rencher as saying he "never witnessed any racist energy" from McDermott.

The other 7 are in this screed of yours.

In other words, no Scoopers called McDermott racist.

What some of us have said is that he made a racially insensitive comment. In fact, he said that himself and profusely apologized for it.

But yes, as usual, let's turn this discussion into a familiar theme:

White males just can't catch a break in America.

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »

While you are incorrect about exactly what is going on in Boston (it's still stupid), we've entered an era where teachers requiring students to show work and getting the right answer in Math is racist, imperialist, and a tool of white supremacy. We have a professor at USC using a Chinese word during a lesson on "filler words" was suspended because the word SOUNDED like a racist term used in the English language to some students.  Or the female principal fired because, according to her boss, she "unintentionally offended" some people when she shared an opinion about the BLM organization. Hell, my wife was called a "white privilege b---h" because she got out of our car and directed traffic because an impromptu BLM car parade was ignoring stop lights and causing a large back-up on a freeway off-ramp. She's Asian but for her to be a target is ok because of the privilege she's been told she's benefitted from by being a first-gen "anchor baby" whose family fled political persecution. Her family's academic accomplishments are proof that she's benefitted from white supremacy, which was a reason she was rejected to mentor minority interns.

I'm sure you are really struggling to make your way in this oppressive society.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
wat happened here?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2021, 12:32:17 PM »

There can be quite a bit more in depth learning in 4th, 5th,and 6th grade math.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »

Which is why programs like the ones Boston has had have been going out of style. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
Who had McDermott getting axed before Wojo on their Scoop Bingo card?

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2021, 01:19:10 PM »
Does anyone know how to put people on ignore?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full