[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign  (Read 25349 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Creighton coach Greg McDermott says he offered to resign
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
Just fyi, Socrates never said, er, "opined" that.
The Venn diagram of people whining loudest about so-called cancel culture and those who claimed to  boycott the NFL over Colin Kaepernick is pretty much overlapping circles.

His version of the facts say he did.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2021, 10:17:09 PM »

The issue is not with what’s in his heart. It’s with what he says and does.

And what he said could very well impact recruiting, whether he stays at Creighton or goes elsewhere.

This is a rare occasion when I disagree with you, Goooo.

I think recruits (and their parents) will judge him on his merits when they talk to him. I have heard people say "stay on the plantation" or the equally offensive "don't go off the reservation" many times in my life. Unless I already had a reason to think they were racist, saying that did not alter my perception of them at all. I think a lot of people his age (or mine) heard these things many times at a young age in a very different world and never stopped to think about the origins. Sadly, on the spur of the moment the phrase is used.

It is good to see that he was called out for it though. Lessons can be learned. His reaction was also important. If I was a recruit or a parent of a recruit, I would worry a lot more about a coach throwing around accusations of racism than I would be about Coach McDermott.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »
Suspended from all team activities

Creighton handled every aspect of this about as poorly as you could have

Now this is Cancel Culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2021, 11:27:26 PM »
This is a rare occasion when I disagree with you, Goooo.

I think recruits (and their parents) will judge him on his merits when they talk to him. I have heard people say "stay on the plantation" or the equally offensive "don't go off the reservation" many times in my life. Unless I already had a reason to think they were racist, saying that did not alter my perception of them at all. I think a lot of people his age (or mine) heard these things many times at a young age in a very different world and never stopped to think about the origins. Sadly, on the spur of the moment the phrase is used.

It is good to see that he was called out for it though. Lessons can be learned. His reaction was also important. If I was a recruit or a parent of a recruit, I would worry a lot more about a coach throwing around accusations of racism than I would be about Coach McDermott.

Perhaps...but I honestly have never heard someone make that comment in reference to a black person, so my immediate reaction is different from yours. I have heard plenty of racist words and references - my grandmother used the N-word more times than I can count - but 'back to the plantation' is a new one for me.

And if age is part of it, I would note that McDermott is only 56 years old...two years younger than me, and I believe younger than you too. Seems like that might give him a bit less leeway than someone in his 60s or 70s.

Anyhow, even if he is done at Creighton, he will get another chance somewhere, so he will have chances to convince recruits it was out of character.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2021, 12:12:50 AM »
racist! fire now! ban from campus foreverrr!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2021, 04:20:36 AM »

No it really isn’t. Look back on some the accusations made about the program...then what recently happened.

Coaches can’t do this kind of stuff. And frankly it’s disheartening that so many are willing to make excuses for him without really knowing what’s going on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2021, 06:43:59 AM »
No it really isn’t. Look back on some the accusations made about the program...then what recently happened.

Coaches can’t do this kind of stuff. And frankly it’s disheartening that so many are willing to make excuses for him without really knowing what’s going on.

The people decrying cancel culture have been properly instructed that anyone (especially if they are white, or evoke nostalgia) who does or says something offensive to people that they are being 'cancelled'.  As if people haven't lost jobs, fame, or power for their actions previous to 2016. 

It's a stupid dog whistle for stupid people... not to mention a ton of people who have been 'cancelled' still hold their jobs, fame, and power after they've been 'cancelled'.  So uhhhhh like, what negative consequences does being 'cancelled' exactly entail?  Seems to be that about the only thing that happens is that the 'cancelled' person gets to play the victim for a week and then everything is forgotten until the next person is 'cancelled'.  At which point, we drop that first name so we can add to the ever growing list of people who have been 'cancelled'. 

In recent memory I can think of plenty of politicians that have claimed to be 'cancelled'.  Ted Cruz comes to mind first.  But what have been his consequences?  He didn't resign.  He pretended to hand out water in a empty parking lot.  Then a few days later he got to speak in front of CPAC about how he had been cancelled?  Excuse me?  How exactly was Ted Cruz's life changed since he has been 'cancelled'.  What a load of crap.

So stop being played.  There is no such thing as cancel culture.  It's your new dog whistle, just like 'fake news' was for years... just like every simplistic bit of jargon that gets created in a board room and passed down by the media for you consume.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2021, 07:00:30 AM »
They do this in all white private catholic schools as well.  Kids are placed in different math classes than their peers based on their grades and abilities starting in fourth grade.  It sets the more mathematically inclined ones up for advancement and highschool AP courses and the others for the regular track.  The mathematically inclined kids benefit nicely and aren’t bored while waiting for others to catch up.  The “normal” kids benefit from not going so fast an learning at a pace that allows them time to absorb the material. Both sets of kids are wildly successful in their studies in high school.  Some kids are just smarter than others in different subjects and need to be challenged.

Really? The Catholic Schools in my Diocese (Trenton, NJ) are 40% white and 60% black or latino. In fact my parish which does not have a school pays free tuition for 10 minority high school students each year and the black students are for the most part not even Catholic.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:03:15 AM by muwarrior69 »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2021, 07:09:58 AM »
My only point was that accelerated classes happen in all white schools as well using it as an example that the overall practice is not a form of discrimination.   I did not mean to imply catholic schools have predominantly white students. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2021, 07:18:19 AM »
I’d guess more came out.
Has to, right? If they only thing he did was utter that phrase, with the way he handled it afterwards I would think he would have gotten past it. But with former players speaking up...looking like there is more to the story.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2021, 07:36:43 AM »
The people decrying cancel culture have been properly instructed that anyone (especially if they are white, or evoke nostalgia) who does or says something offensive to people that they are being 'cancelled'.  As if people haven't lost jobs, fame, or power for their actions previous to 2016. 

It's a stupid dog whistle for stupid people... not to mention a ton of people who have been 'cancelled' still hold their jobs, fame, and power after they've been 'cancelled'.  So uhhhhh like, what negative consequences does being 'cancelled' exactly entail?  Seems to be that about the only thing that happens is that the 'cancelled' person gets to play the victim for a week and then everything is forgotten until the next person is 'cancelled'.  At which point, we drop that first name so we can add to the ever growing list of people who have been 'cancelled'. 

In recent memory I can think of plenty of politicians that have claimed to be 'cancelled'.  Ted Cruz comes to mind first.  But what have been his consequences?  He didn't resign.  He pretended to hand out water in a empty parking lot.  Then a few days later he got to speak in front of CPAC about how he had been cancelled?  Excuse me?  How exactly was Ted Cruz's life changed since he has been 'cancelled'.  What a load of crap.

So stop being played.  There is no such thing as cancel culture.  It's your new dog whistle, just like 'fake news' was for years... just like every simplistic bit of jargon that gets created in a board room and passed down by the media for you consume.

Cancel culture is accountability. Some will proactively say "Cancel Culture" to avoid accountability for their,.or someone they support's actions. Power and leverage vary in each situation. In politics, or even sports, a tribe or tribal supporter doesn't care about accountability, or facts. Some others of course, do. And of course supporters of a different tribe in sports or politics also don't care about accountability or facts, and aggressively go against the person or subject in the opposite way.

Accountability, and facts, vary in each situation. A tribe doesn't vary.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »
At dis rate, Wojo will be the longest tenured Big East coach outside of J Wright sooner than later, hey?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2021, 08:30:42 AM »
At dis rate, Wojo will be the longest tenured Big East coach outside of J Wright sooner than later, hey?

Is he only behind Wright Willard and Cooley?
Maigh Eo for Sam

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2021, 08:36:22 AM »
Free advice. Me to you. Don’t watch ESPlibN. Don’t put any stock in this Fluffy character. Be proud to be American. Embrace Lincoln. Love the Marquette WARRIORS.
Lincoln?! Lincoln would barf on you and every other MAGAt if he were living
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »

Josh Hawley claimed to have been canceled ... in a front-page op-ed published by the nation's 6th largest newspaper.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:42 AM »
Josh Hawley claimed to have been canceled ... in a front-page op-ed published by the nation's 6th largest newspaper.

Was that before he actually tried to cancel Liz Cheney?

I’m pretty sure it was after he helped incite a murderous mob that wanted to permanently cancel Mike Pence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2021, 08:45:20 AM »
Was that before he actually tried to cancel Liz Cheney?

I’m pretty sure it was after he helped incite a murderous mob that wanted to permanently cancel Mike Pence.

And voted to cancel the votes of millions of Americans.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2021, 09:11:20 AM »

"Getting played" case in point.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1367654147479265280?s=20

For a $25 donation, you get a copy of "The Cat in the Hat."  A book that is going to continue to be published!  ::) ::) ::)

Just like donating money to help "save the election" never really went to save the election.  How many times y'all going to fall for this stuff???

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2021, 09:14:55 AM »

A simple Hillary Clinton tweet from yesterday:

The party of "Freedom Fries" would like you to know that "cancel culture" is a very serious problem.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2021, 09:15:52 AM »

For a $25 donation, you get a copy of "The Cat in the Hat."  A book that is going to continue to be published!  ::) ::) ::)

Just like donating money to help "save the election" never really went to save the election.  How many times y'all going to fall for this stuff???

Would've been hilarious if it was the Lorax and they ended up raising a bunch of people in love with "the green new deal" 😂
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
The pearl clutching about cancel culture is dumb and has nothing to do with McDermott. Anyone who tries to shoe horn McDermott into the culture battlefield of the day is doing so for purely cynical and opportunistic reasons. There are plenty of interesting and valuable things to discuss about McDermott, what he said, how he reacted, how Creighton is handling this, and how this may affect MU or the Big East, but "cancel culture" is not one of them.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »

Oh, not to mention this grift

At the Trump International Hotel in Washington DC, the least expensive room option is the deluxe king, ranging in size from 350 to 475 square feet. At this time of year, it normally runs anywhere from $476 to $596 per night.

Interestingly, on March 3 and 4, the same room is selling for $1,331 per night. That’s 180% above the base rate and more than double what you’d pay any other night in February or March, according to the hotel’s website.

The March 4 rate hike appears to be exclusive to the Trump International, notes Zach Everson in his 1100 Pennsylvania newsletter, which has diligently tracked the comings and goings at Trump International since the early days of Trump’s presidency. When Everson surveyed other DC luxury hotels — Four Seasons, Hay Adams, and St. Regis — he found that those hotels’ rates remain close to the norm on March 3 and 4.

https://www.forbes.com./sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/02/06/trumps-dc-hotel-is-jacking-up-rates-for-qanons-next-special-date/?sh=6666ebb9611b

Not sure, why the link breaks on this board, but if you copy and paste, it works fine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »

And voted to cancel the votes of millions of Americans.

To me, that's one of the biggest hypocrisies of the GOP. They lament 'cancel culture' at the same time they try to cancel the foundation of democracy for millions of Americans.

It's like when they lament government intrusion in peoples' lives, and then give full-throated support to the government telling a woman what she can do with her body.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2021, 09:53:35 AM »
Isn't "cancel culture" just another word for capitalism?

Company (Creighton/NFL) puts out a product (men's basketball team/football).

A population of customers (left leaning/right leaning) doesn't like some aspect of the product (McD's racially insensitive comments/players kneeling during the national anthem).

Those customers make their displeasure known and withhold their dollars.

Company amends product to match the desires of their customers.

Customers are appeased and stop withholding their dollars.

Capitalism at its most beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:15:55 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:24 AM »
Isn't "cancel culture" just another word for capitalism?

Company (Creighton/NFL) puts out a product (men's basketball team/football).

A population of customers (left leaning/right leaning) doesn't like some aspect of the product (McD's racially insensitive comments/players kneeling during the national anthem).

Those customers make their displeasure known and withhold their dollars.

Company amends product to match the desires of their customers.

Customers are appeased and stop withholding their dollars.

Capitalism at it's most beautiful.

A lot of these same people are bragging about not supporting the Bucks and Brewers because they support BLM.  It’s pretty exhausting at this point
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback