[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hauser Brothers Post MU Thread  (Read 151823 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Hauser Brothers 2021 Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 06, 2021, 08:08:30 PM »
Sam 24 8 and 1 in the Cavs win over Louisville.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #301 on: March 06, 2021, 10:36:12 PM »
Very nice stretch to close out the regular season for the Hauser who's actually good at basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »
Joey with 11 and 5 in the Spartans win over Michigan in the season finale. Got in foul trouble covering Hunter Dickinson,the Wolverines 7-1 255 pound center

CTWarrior

• All American
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #305 on: March 08, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
Happy for Sam.  Really bummed he left, but in hindsight it was the perfect move for him personally.  Had he stayed, he would have been done last year, and the tourney was cancelled*.  As it works out, he sat out the year to get healthy, is on a decent team, and gets to dance this year. 

* Assuming the letter didn't also contain the original strain of Covid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2021, 01:12:41 PM »
Happy for Sam.  Really bummed he left, but in hindsight it was the perfect move for him personally.  Had he stayed, he would have been done last year, and the tourney was cancelled*.  As it works out, he sat out the year to get healthy, is on a decent team, and gets to dance this year. 

Of course, he could have come back to Marquette for a fifth season if he had wanted to.

But yes, this likely was good for Sam. He got different - and almost certainly better - coaching, and he got to play in an entirely different offensive system. And, as you point out, he was able to get totally healthy; he looks much more fit down the stretch this season than he did in 2019.

Still, it's interesting how close his Virginia stats are to his Marquette stats, including his advanced stats. He is who he is, which is a very good college player. I think he'll have a decent shot at the NBA.

As for finally experiencing NCAA tourney success ... I haven't made up my mind how deep a run his Virginia team is likely to have. Right now, bracketmatrix has them as a 5-seed, and I certainly could see them being a victim of one of the infamous 5/12 upsets. But it obviously won't be any shorter of a run than he had at Marquette -- and as you said, he'd have had no tourney at all last season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2021, 01:14:59 PM »
Of course, he could have come back to Marquette for a fifth season if he had wanted to.

But yes, this likely was good for Sam. He got different - and almost certainly better - coaching, and he got to play in an entirely different offensive system. And, as you point out, he was able to get totally healthy; he looks much more fit down the stretch this season than he did in 2019.

Still, it's interesting how close his Virginia stats are to his Marquette stats, including his advanced stats. He is who he is, which is a very good college player. I think he'll have a decent shot at the NBA.

As for finally experiencing NCAA tourney success ... I haven't made up my mind how deep a run his Virginia team is likely to have. Right now, bracketmatrix has them as a 5-seed, and I certainly could see them being a victim of one of the infamous 5/12 upsets. But it obviously won't be any shorter of a run than he had at Marquette -- and as you said, he'd have had no tourney at all last season.

Why could he have come back to Marquette for a fifth season?  Unless he was going to redshirt his senior season to avoid playing with Markus.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2021, 01:24:57 PM »
Why could he have come back to Marquette for a fifth season?  Unless he was going to redshirt his senior season to avoid playing with Markus.

Weren't players allowed to return for a fifth season due to COVID-19? If not, I was mistaken and never mind that line. The rest of my post stands.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »

This year is the "free" year.  Seniors last year didn't have that option.  So in theory, he could still stick around another year. still because of his decision.  Like I said, that's all in hindsight, but it worked out well for him.

Agree - I don't know that VA is going to make that much noise.  But he does get a NCAA game at least.  The only thing the MU/UNC game proved to me is the ACC is probably hot garbage this year.  We'll see.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2021, 02:50:51 PM »
This year is the "free" year.  Seniors last year didn't have that option.  So in theory, he could still stick around another year. still because of his decision.  Like I said, that's all in hindsight, but it worked out well for him.

Agree - I don't know that VA is going to make that much noise.  But he does get a NCAA game at least.  The only thing the MU/UNC game proved to me is the ACC is probably hot garbage this year.  We'll see.

Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, it ended up being the perfect decision for Sam.

Do you think he'll play in the NBA? I like his combination of shooting ability and basketball IQ.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #311 on: March 08, 2021, 11:15:55 PM »
Do you think he'll play in the NBA? I like his combination of shooting ability and basketball IQ.

I could easily see him getting a shot (no pun intended) in the NBA.  However, I have a hard time believing he'll stick anywhere.

Though the Novak comparison came up in another thread - and while I think Novak is a far better shooter, if Sam can make a roster in the "right situation" there's a chance he'll get paid.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2021, 06:08:10 AM »
Sam will make a roster. He lacks quickness, which is a problem for him. But, overall he's got talent and one hell of a loss for MU. Hausergate was the beginning of the end for Woj, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2021, 07:29:28 AM »
Sam will make a roster. He lacks quickness, which is a problem for him. But, overall he's got talent and one hell of a loss for MU. Hausergate was the beginning of the end for Woj, aina?

Absolutely about Hausershima being the beginning of the end. Before mommy and daddy H helped their baby boys with the letter-writing mutiny, even some of the Nojos were starting to reluctantly give the coach props. Including even you IIRC.

But that scarred the program badly. Even though the Hausers obviously share in the blame,  it ultimately was on Wojo because keeping good locker room chemistry is one of a coach’s main jobs. Leaders must take responsibility for terrible things that happen on their watch - I know you totally agree with me on that.

Sam definitely has a legit shot at the NBA. There are worse athletes on rosters right now. He can shoot, he’s long and he understands basketball. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the league for multiple seasons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2021, 07:30:43 AM »
1. Better coach
2. Better program
3. Better school
4. ACC regular season champion
5. ACC 1st team All Star
6. 4th in ACC POY balloting
7. A chance in the NCAA tournament
8. Good health after sitting out a year

I’m disappointed he left MU, but is there any doubt that it was the right decision? If he has a regret it’s that he didn’t make the move earlier.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2021, 07:39:08 AM »

That truly made me laugh out loud. You won the internet yesterday!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2021, 07:52:25 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, it ended up being the perfect decision for Sam.

Playing devil's advocate, did playing the year at Virginia help his draft status? If not, maybe the best decision for him would have been to stay at Marquette last year, and he might be in the now NBA making good money.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #317 on: March 09, 2021, 09:53:04 AM »
I could easily see him getting a shot (no pun intended) in the NBA.  However, I have a hard time believing he'll stick anywhere.

Though the Novak comparison came up in another thread - and while I think Novak is a far better shooter, if Sam can make a roster in the "right situation" there's a chance he'll get paid.

I mostly agree except I doubt he will even make a roster.

He is a very good shooter, but not elite by NBA standards. He won’t be able to guard any ‘3’ in the NBA. Good college player, but not NBA quality.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #318 on: March 09, 2021, 09:59:38 AM »
I mostly agree except I doubt he will even make a roster.

He is a very good shooter, but not elite by NBA standards. He won’t be able to guard any ‘3’ in the NBA. Good college player, but not NBA quality.

He had a hard time creating space in the college game and when he did, as you wrote, he is simply a very good shooter and not elite. Unsure how he'll be able to create space in American professional basketball. Defenders at the G League level won't be troubled by him.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #319 on: March 09, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »

I could see him making a training camp roster, but not sure he can stick in the NBA. He’s a great shooter but don’t know if he can guard anyone at the NBA level. Or if he can create his own shot.

Novak made a long career of it, but was a few inches taller and was always flirting with being out of the league.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #320 on: March 09, 2021, 10:30:46 AM »

Yeah, it was a shame but that’s todays youth.  Soft, soft, soft.  Demand your coach change and then pout and leave when he doesn’t.  Parents are probably lefties
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #321 on: March 09, 2021, 10:41:53 AM »
I could see him making a training camp roster, but not sure he can stick in the NBA. He’s a great shooter but don’t know if he can guard anyone at the NBA level. Or if he can create his own shot.

Novak made a long career of it, but was a few inches taller and was always flirting with being out of the league.

Novak's release was so much quicker than Sam's, too.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #322 on: March 09, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
1. Better coach
2. Better program
3. Better school
4. ACC regular season champion
5. ACC 1st team All Star
6. 4th in ACC POY balloting
7. A chance in the NCAA tournament
8. Good health after sitting out a year

I’m disappointed he left MU, but is there any doubt that it was the right decision? If he has a regret it’s that he didn’t make the move earlier.

The only doubt would be that he ended up a year further out from actually making money playing the sport.  But maybe that just wasn't that important to him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #323 on: March 09, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »

The only doubt would be that he ended up a year further out from actually making money playing the sport.  But maybe that just wasn't that important to him.

I'll just trust that Lenny knows Sam has no regrets, other than maybe making a move sooner.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #324 on: March 09, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »
Wojo's mistake was not kicking them off the team immediately upon receipt of the letter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.