[Today at 09:11:45 AM]

Where is Marquette? by rocky_warrior
[Today at 09:10:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: General Big East Thread 20-21  (Read 134877 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: General Big East Thread 20-21
« Reply #725 on: March 01, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »
You compared Jordan and Wojo. I simply pointed out that, head-to-head, Wojo has killed Jordan.

If I misread the intent of your post, management regrets the error.

82,  I think that MU is a player matchup issue for Butler.  Jordon does seem to be a better coach against the rest of the league. 

Even though both coaches body of work is mediocre I have a hunch Jordan would do better than Wojo with our talent. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #726 on: March 01, 2021, 11:15:38 PM »
82,  I think that MU is a player matchup issue for Butler.  Jordon does seem to be a better coach against the rest of the league. 

Even though both coaches body of work is mediocre I have a hunch Jordan would do better than Wojo with our talent.

I understand what you’re saying, and your hunch might be right ... but I’ll stick with the fact that I know: Wojo has dominated the matchup the last 3 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #727 on: March 02, 2021, 06:17:21 AM »
Villanova’s defense is pretty “meh”.  Can see them getting bounced on the first weekend.

When I mentioned that Villanova doesn’t look that strong and might be headed  for an early NCAA exit, Dodds reminded me that Sunday’s clunker was a result of Butler celebrating Senior Day.

That aside, they have looked pretty mediocre in several other games. As you say, their defense is not great. And, as others have said, their offense is heavily dependent on 3’s. They don’t have much depth, and could be in big trouble against one of those several Big 10 or Big 12 teams with good athletes who can challenge the threes.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #728 on: March 02, 2021, 06:21:40 AM »
When I mentioned that Villanova doesn’t look that strong and might be headed  for an early NCAA exit, Dodds reminded me that Sunday’s clunker was a result of Butler celebrating Senior Day.

LOL, yet another stat that only exists in Dodds' head.  Just like 3 point shooting in the Bradley Center.

But neither of those are as good as Murph's "you can 100% prevent sprained ankles" mantra.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #729 on: March 02, 2021, 06:31:22 AM »

That aside, they have looked pretty mediocre in several other games. As you say, their defense is not great. And, as others have said, their offense is heavily dependent on 3’s. They don’t have much depth, and could be in big trouble against one of those several Big 10 or Big 12 teams with good athletes who can challenge the threes.

How did that guy ever become some type of respected authority on Marquette basketball? Seriously

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #730 on: March 02, 2021, 06:36:10 AM »
Nova better hope they aren’t playing in Hinkle the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament. They’ve been awful there the last few years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #731 on: March 02, 2021, 06:56:09 AM »

And I’m not taking shots at Villanova.  They’re still good enough to make a deep run this month but this isn’t a team that’s as good as the ‘16-‘18 teams.  It happens as Jay had to refit the roster following a bunch of early departures and missing on Quinerly.  I’d much rather have their “problems” at the moment
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #732 on: March 02, 2021, 07:43:24 AM »

LOL, yet another stat that only exists in Dodds' head.  Just like 3 point shooting in the Bradley Center.

But neither of those are as good as Murph's "you can 100% prevent sprained ankles" mantra.

Dodds needs to come up with some new excuses such as Villanova had "tired arms" that caused them to miss so many of their shots.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #733 on: March 02, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »
How did that guy ever become some type of respected authority on Marquette basketball? Seriously

By attending games in the 60's, camps and the university in the 70's.   By buying time to do a weekend radio show about nothing but MU basketball in the 80's.    Putting out a monthly newsletter mailed out in the early 90's.    By being at the forefront of message boards in the late 90's and early 00's.       So, by hanging around and always loving MU basketball.     And looking for ways to talk about it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #734 on: March 02, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »
I have no doubts to his dedication for the program, but the dude has some whacky thoughts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #735 on: March 02, 2021, 07:58:59 AM »
By attending games in the 60's, camps and the university in the 70's.   By buying time to do a weekend radio show about nothing but MU basketball in the 80's.    Putting out a monthly newsletter mailed out in the early 90's.    By being at the forefront of message boards in the late 90's and early 00's.       So, by hanging around and always loving MU basketball.     And looking for ways to talk about it.

Where does being a condescending a**hole to anyone who disagrees with him fit in?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #736 on: March 02, 2021, 08:00:20 AM »
Where does being a condescending a**hole to anyone who disagrees with him fit in?

If it continues to get us quality posters here, like Muggsy, then I'm all for it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #737 on: March 02, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »
This board is full of condescending a$$holes.   As he says, his name is on the board.    And he runs it the way he sees fit.  His board, his rules, just like here.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #738 on: March 02, 2021, 08:03:06 AM »
This board is full of condescending a$$holes.   As he says, his name is on the board.    And he runs it the way he sees fit.  His board, his rules, just like here.

No one is really disputing this.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #739 on: March 02, 2021, 08:06:04 AM »
And many here have wacky ideas.   I like going there because I like getting my new from more than one source.   I like to hear more than one version of a discussion.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #740 on: March 02, 2021, 08:14:25 AM »
There are some really good posters there. I especially like to read Silver Warriors comments. I skip over Dodds' though. Just my opinion but I find the guy is simply insufferable. Glad Muggsy came here. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #741 on: March 02, 2021, 08:18:07 AM »
There are some really good posters there. I especially like to read Silver Warriors comments. I skip over Dodds' though. Just my opinion but I find the guy is simply insufferable. Glad Muggsy came here.
Sometimes he is.   Not as insufferable as a couple of guys who have had Badger boards over the years.   But Dodds is very protective of whomever the current coach is and MU hoops in general.   

panda

• All American
« Reply #742 on: March 02, 2021, 08:18:52 AM »

Seems like a completely reasonable and mature way of handling a position power !

tower912

• All American
« Reply #743 on: March 02, 2021, 08:21:10 AM »
No different than here.  Scoop mods run this board by their guidelines, he runs his board by his.
If you moderated a board, you would do it by your rules.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #744 on: March 02, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »
No different than here. 

It's actually quite a bit different.  He is much more heavy handed deleting posts and shutting topics down, especially when they don't generally agree with his line of thinking.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #745 on: March 02, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
Seems like a completely reasonable and mature way of handling a position power !

Lol.  You must not have lived in America for the last 4 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #746 on: March 02, 2021, 08:30:25 AM »
Lol.  You must not have lived in America for the last 4 years.

Ha!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #747 on: March 02, 2021, 08:59:14 AM »
It's actually quite a bit different.  He is much more heavy handed deleting posts and shutting topics down, especially when they don't generally agree with his line of thinking.
To borrow from you, thank you for making my point.   The mods here shut down threads consistent with their rules.   He shuts down threads consistent with his.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #748 on: March 02, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »
To borrow from you, thank you for making my point.   The mods here shut down threads consistent with their rules.   He shuts down threads consistent with his.

Threads here are usually only shut down if the discussion veers into politics or personal attacks.  Dodds will shut down a thread if someone suggests Wojo's glass of ice water looks too cloudy.

You're right, though.  His board, his rules.  But there's a reason his board has far less traffic than this one.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #749 on: March 02, 2021, 09:26:48 AM »
Everything you outlined above is why Mr. Dodds has access to the Coaches and Team. There is some value in that.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback