[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.  (Read 15034 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
There is no doubt that Warrior is more fitting than lame Golden Eagle. Everybody knows that. But with today's cancel PC crowd. Not happening

cAnCeL cUlTuRe
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »
There is no doubt that Warrior is more fitting than lame Golden Eagle. Everybody knows that. But with today's cancel PC crowd. Not happening

1994's cancel culture.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »
1994's cancel culture.
1994's University of Wisconsin Cancel Culture.  The irony behind the whole thing is Wisconsin is rooted for more by the "anti" cancel culture crowd. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
Given the namesake of our new HC, I wonder if there's not room to talk about bringing back the Warriors in an EDI friendly way. Recognizing that "warrior" culture is not unique to one people/nation/race/sex but instead is seen across an inclusive range of peoples/nations/cultures/sexes and explicitly adopting it in that way with logo/branding reflective of the same. Something like a text-only logo (ala Washington football team) or maybe something like the silhouette of 5 young athletes in huddle with their arms on each others' shoulders (ala Shaka's "relationships" focus).

MU could then have multiple live mascots for different warrior cultures, developed in consultation with those cultures, and only to be portrayed by individuals from that culture. Perhaps even only develop those mascots from cultures who approach the University (i.e. so the development of a mascot requires an active "opt in" from the community in question.) Maybe given the preponderance of Irish-American students/alum the "base" warrior could be a Celtic warrior - as the father of Irish kids I know I certainly wouldn't take any offense to that. And I can tell you a Celtic warrior would be a hell of a lot less offensive than "Clashmore Mike" at ND.  You could even have a female one based on the banféinní!

I would be awesome for someone to start an online petition to return the Warriors name ,without Native American Imagery .   

With a new coach who is named after a Famous African Warrior , something like this , which in years past had no chance, might actually gain some traction.

I am sure most people on this message board would endorse it.  8-)
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2021, 06:12:28 PM »
As a former housemate of the late, great gentleman who wore the Blueteaux costume I do feel the need to weigh in on all this abstract silliness.  The solution is simple.  Once a year, have a back to the 70s night, or for better music, a back to 80s night at the Fiserv Forum and all us geezers can be Warriors again for one night.  That's it.  Wear your faded sweatshirts and royal blue snap button jackets like Chris Farley in Tommy Boy.  One night, once a year.

Woodchip we miss you.  Requiescant in Pace

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
I would be awesome for someone to start an online petition to return the Warriors name ,without Native American Imagery .   

With a new coach who is named after a Famous African Warrior , something like this , which in years past had no chance, might actually gain some traction.

I am sure most people on this message board would endorse it.  8-)

The Simpsons can’t have have white people voicing Black characters anymore and you think it wouldn’t cause a crapshow having a white, Catholic, university having an African warrior as a mascot?

We’ll bring back football and play in the Rose Bowl before going back to Warriors.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
The Simpsons can’t have have white people voicing Black characters anymore and you think it wouldn’t cause a crapshow having a white, Catholic, university having an African warrior as a mascot?

We’ll bring back football and play in the Rose Bowl before going back to Warriors.

Marquette is a White university?  May want to walk that one back.

feedback