[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Faces Pushback on Faculty Cuts  (Read 24929 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Marquette Faces Pushback on Faculty Cuts
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
I don't have the level of expertise to explain in detail why clinical training is different, but my MSN daughter could.  Also, since clinical training takes place out in the field, for all intents and purposes it is unrelated to facility needs.

Also, the nursing building is already bursting at the seams (their on-campus program has almost double the number of students they had a decade ago), and the PA program was still in a crappy old office building on Wells street decades after they were promised a better facility.  Even if they were able to somehow combine aspects of the programs, they still needed the room.

507 N 17th St, Milwaukee, WI 53233

New PA building, right?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
507 N 17th St, Milwaukee, WI 53233

New PA building, right?

Yep, but they were at 1700 W. Wells before.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
When I was a Junior ('02) the only bars on campus that I can recall were Murph's, Caffs, Heg's, and the Glock.  Conways, and H&S were still there, but they weren't exactly the typical party scene for 21 and 22 year olds.  Now Heg's and the Glock are long gone.  So, if I'm not mistaken there are only the two bars left on campus, correct?

Towards the end of college we started taking the LIMOs and asking to jump out at the closest corner near Water Street.  Taxis would have cost us each a drink, so we walked.

Does the Annex count as a bar?

Conway's became a popular place my senior year because with only Murph's, Angelo's, and Heg's "on campus" you got tired of the scene and wanted to get away. Then we started hitting Water Street (take the bus down and walk over from West WI Avenue): 2 for 1 and Brooklyn's, $3 beers at McGillicuddy's, and then $2 22oz from 3-9 at BW3. We'd also head over to the East Side, Judge's had 10 cent wings and $2 beers.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »

Conway's became a popular place my senior year because with only Murph's, Angelo's, and Heg's "on campus" you got tired of the scene and wanted to get away. Then we started hitting Water Street (take the bus down and walk over from West WI Avenue): 2 for 1 and Brooklyn's, $3 beers at McGillicuddy's, and then $2 22oz from 3-9 at BW3. We'd also head over to the East Side, Judge's had 10 cent wings and $2 beers.

Ms Katie's counts as a bar before the Annex.

Judges had its moments. Lost a bet and had to snort a shot of vodka there.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:49:57 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »

The Annex sucked donkey balls.  It's really too bad we didn't have a cool indoor/outdoor place like the Rathskellar/Union Terrace at Madison.  Obviously, we had no lake, but when you compare the two... ours is embarrassing.

We hit Judge's once in a while for the same deals.  I was working, and my friends who were 5th years mostly.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
The Annex sucked donkey balls.  It's really too bad we didn't have a cool indoor/outdoor place like the Rathskellar/Union Terrace at Madison.  Obviously, we had no lake, but when you compare the two... ours is embarrassing.

We hit Judge's once in a while for the same deals.  I was working, and my friends who were 5th years mostly.

Any bar that is part of a university's food service contract is going to suck.  The Mugrack reported to the manager of Brooks Union (shoutout to Toby Peters!) and it was cool.  I really miss it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »
Any bar that is part of a university's food service contract is going to suck.  The Mugrack reported to the manager of Brooks Union (shoutout to Toby Peters!) and it was cool.  I really miss it.

Timeout.  You tellin me that the Annex fries are McCormick fries?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2020, 05:04:14 PM »

at least the Annex serves beer.

The Pub in the AMU had some potential. I worked there as a senior and we had tap beer. One morning we came in and the kegs were gone and we called PS. Well, the new manager forgot to renew the liquor license and the price had skyrocketed for a "new" license and that was the end of beer there. I don't even think that space is used for anything but storage anymore.  Anyone know if the game room is still around? NBA Jam got a lot of my quarters.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2020, 06:24:51 PM »
at least the Annex serves beer.

The Pub in the AMU had some potential. I worked there as a senior and we had tap beer. One morning we came in and the kegs were gone and we called PS. Well, the new manager forgot to renew the liquor license and the price had skyrocketed for a "new" license and that was the end of beer there. I don't even think that space is used for anything but storage anymore.  Anyone know if the game room is still around? NBA Jam got a lot of my quarters.

Is that what happened?  Never hung out there,  but remember when the beer disappeared. Lmao.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
Is that what happened?  Never hung out there,  but remember when the beer disappeared. Lmao.

yep. Everyone was freaked out that we'd been robbed for beer. LOL.

It sucked for us workers as we'd put beer in our soda cups to get us through our shifts.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »
I don't have the level of expertise to explain in detail why clinical training is different, but my MSN daughter could.  Also, since clinical training takes place out in the field, for all intents and purposes it is unrelated to facility needs.

Also, the nursing building is already bursting at the seams (their on-campus program has almost double the number of students they had a decade ago), and the PA program was still in a crappy old office building on Wells street decades after they were promised a better facility.  Even if they were able to somehow combine aspects of the programs, they still needed the room.
Nursing and PA are very big success stories for MU. Administration doing a very good job and the investments are going to pay off for many years .

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
Nursing and PA are very big success stories for MU. Administration doing a very good job and the investments are going to pay off for many years .

Absolutely.  They are two programs that receive far more qualified applicants than they can accept due to resource limitations.

Whatever reasons you might want to give for enrollment shortfall, you cannot put any blame on these programs.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »
I always thought MU could pull off a great fundraiser doing something similar with various buildings that alumni have bad memories of. I'd donate to push the button on Lalumiere.

Bodnar’s Auction site used the headline “Implode Trump Plaza for Charity!” to promote the event. The site goes on to tout the button-pushing win as an “experience… that can be done anywhere in the world.”

“We are selling the experience to push the button to implode Trump Plaza. This will be done remotely and can be done anywhere in the world as well as [as] close to the Plaza as we can safely get you there!” the site reads

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »
My younger daughter was accepted to Marquette Nursing today.  They also upped the Pere Marquette scholarship 15% compared to my older daughter 2 years ago.  The amount makes a big difference.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2021, 08:36:19 PM »
My younger daughter was accepted to Marquette Nursing today.  They also upped the Pere Marquette scholarship 15% compared to my older daughter 2 years ago.  The amount makes a big difference.
Congrats to your daughter . She will come out of college with a great career .

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2021, 09:12:14 PM »

You may already know that Chick Jr. is a Marquette nurse - BSN and MSN.  She got a great education.  Let me know if your daughter wants to talk to an alum.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:12 PM »
You may already know that Chick Jr. is a Marquette nurse - BSN and MSN.  She got a great education.  Let me know if your daughter wants to talk to an alum.

Will do w-chick.  Thanks

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »
Did your daughter go straight through and get both degrees or did she work for a while and then get the masters ?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2021, 10:29:20 AM »
Did your daughter go straight through and get both degrees or did she work for a while and then get the masters ?

(Yeah, I still read here now and again.)

She worked full time as a hospital floor Charge Nurse for about 2 years after getting her BSN.  Then she cut back to part time to pursue her MSN and held a TA position at MU to boot.  That way she was able to obtain her MSN without any additional debt.  Graduated last May with her MSN at age 28 and began her new management level position responsible for the development of two nursing units within her hospital.  Again, PM chick if further details or a contact link are helpful.

Peace all. 

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2021, 10:32:08 AM »
(Yeah, I still read here now and again.)

She worked full time as a hospital floor Charge Nurse for about 2 years after getting her BSN.  Then she cut back to part time to pursue her MSN and held a TA position at MU to boot.  That way she was able to obtain her MSN without any additional debt.  Graduated last May with her MSN at age 28 and began her new management level position responsible for the development of two nursing units within her hospital.  Again, PM chick if further details or a contact link are helpful.

Peace all.
That is tremendous effort on her part . You guys must be very proud of her.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
Miss you, glow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
That is tremendous effort on her part . You guys must be very proud of her.

We are. ❤️
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2021, 01:46:43 PM »
a good reason for MU to continue investing in and growing the PA program:

PA (physician assistant) rose to the No. 1 spot on both the 100 Best Jobs list and the Best Healthcare Jobs list in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Jobs rankings released Jan. 12.

According to U.S. News, the rankings factor in important aspects of a job, such as growth potential, work-life balance, and salary, in order to help job seekers at every level achieve their career goals.

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2021/01/pa-named-best-overall-job-in-2021-by-u-s-news-world-report/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=aapa_post&utm_campaign=news_central&fbclid=IwAR3L2uN6w_QjgXijHrTfeJkkk9GyKdWSNTdbqP6Jb-FqCeY2r6eVEnZVO4g

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2021, 01:59:14 PM »
a good reason for MU to continue investing in and growing the PA program:

PA (physician assistant) rose to the No. 1 spot on both the 100 Best Jobs list and the Best Healthcare Jobs list in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Best Jobs rankings released Jan. 12.

According to U.S. News, the rankings factor in important aspects of a job, such as growth potential, work-life balance, and salary, in order to help job seekers at every level achieve their career goals.

https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2021/01/pa-named-best-overall-job-in-2021-by-u-s-news-world-report/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=aapa_post&utm_campaign=news_central&fbclid=IwAR3L2uN6w_QjgXijHrTfeJkkk9GyKdWSNTdbqP6Jb-FqCeY2r6eVEnZVO4g

Exactly.  In both the Nursing and PA programs, Marquette is forced to turn away highly qualified applicants because they simply don't have room for them. 

One of the big issues in the shortage of high-level healthcare workers is that there aren't enough available spots in school for everyone who is both qualified and interested in pursuing these careers.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »
39 more positions eliminated today.