[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Faces Pushback on Faculty Cuts  (Read 25335 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Marquette Faces Pushback on Faculty Cuts
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
My understanding is that applications and admits are up...but deposits are down.

(Applications and admits are up at a lot of places by the way.  Kids are bored and apparently biding their time applying to more schools.)

I think COVID uncertainty is delaying decisions as well. Will classes be live? Can students socialize? Why pay MU money if on Zoom?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2021, 02:01:21 PM »
I think COVID uncertainty is delaying decisions as well. Will classes be live? Can students socialize? Why pay MU money if on Zoom?

From our experience, it's been a really interesting college application season. Our youngest is a HS senior and we're seeing a lot more kids in her class get deferred than we saw when our older kids were applying. I don't know if it's because applications are up or if it's because they're having a hard time modeling what their yield is going to look like, but it is striking. We know of at least 25 kids who got deferred at tOSU - most of whom have resumes that would have gotten them admitted in past years. I'm curious if that's a widespread situation or if it's just limited to our circle of acquaintances.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2021, 02:08:43 PM »

FTR Marquette plans to go back to normal in-person classes in the fall:

https://today.marquette.edu/2021/03/a-message-from-president-lovell-marquette-plans-for-in-person-experience-for-our-students-this-fall/?fbclid=IwAR1BOzRnaOYx7--O6_gsIZD0GtTMAkz1UzfeOCZT1GUoFbtYrBGuq3K86Ik
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2021, 02:42:57 PM »
From our experience, it's been a really interesting college application season. Our youngest is a HS senior and we're seeing a lot more kids in her class get deferred than we saw when our older kids were applying. I don't know if it's because applications are up or if it's because they're having a hard time modeling what their yield is going to look like, but it is striking. We know of at least 25 kids who got deferred at tOSU - most of whom have resumes that would have gotten them admitted in past years. I'm curious if that's a widespread situation or if it's just limited to our circle of acquaintances.

Maybe more students are applying to public universities due to COVID?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2021, 02:45:31 PM »
The last 6 weeks my daughter has gotten a ton of postcards basically with the same message "We're still accepting application.  There is still time to apply."

Two years ago, I don't recall my older daughter receiving any like this.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
Maybe more students are applying to public universities due to COVID?

Perhaps. I suppose that data will released at some point. I'll have to remember to follow up.

It's been an interesting process compared to our other kids. I'll be happy when it's over. I think we're down to just two contenders, so hopefully she'll decide by the end of the month.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2021, 04:19:29 PM »
My understanding is that applications and admits are up...but deposits are down.

(Applications and admits are up at a lot of places by the way.  Kids are bored and apparently biding their time applying to more schools.)

I was in touch with MU's admissions rep that handles the Northeast a few days ago and was told they've seen a healthy increase in overall applications compared to last year, and interestingly, from a significantly wider geographic footprint across the country than they've seen in over a decade.  Applications from my home state of CT are up 40% year over year.   No idea what to attribute that to but I think it's fair to say it's not due to the success of our men's basketball program.  Definitely welcome news though.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »
I was in touch with MU's admissions rep that handles the Northeast a few days ago and was told they've seen a healthy increase in overall applications compared to last year, and interestingly, from a significantly wider geographic footprint across the country than they've seen in over a decade.  Applications from my home state of CT are up 40% year over year.   No idea what to attribute that to but I think it's fair to say it's not due to the success of our men's basketball program.  Definitely welcome news though.

Acceptance rate no Matta, aina?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2021, 08:16:01 PM »
Unfortunately, Marquette's nursing program is so competitive that MU doesn't have much of an incentive to increase financial aid.  They can probably just admit someone off of their waiting list.

You can make good money with just BSN right out of school.  My daughter just has an RN and makes 45/hour part time. Once in awhile she'll be called by her employer to cover their clinic in Northern Jersey and get paid double time.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2021, 08:48:01 PM »
You can make good money with just BSN right out of school.  My daughter just has an RN and makes 45/hour part time. Once in awhile she'll be called by her employer to cover their clinic in Northern Jersey and get paid double time.

Does she get benefits?  If not, that's not all that great (especially given  the cost of living on the East Coast.

My daughter, even before she got her Masters. was probably making as much (or more) as the Bus Adders who graduated the same year.

That's what happens when smart women have options other than Nurse and Teacher for a career path.  Supply and demand.  It took 100 years, but I am glad that parity has finally happened.  Given the nursing shortage, it's too bad more men don't consider that option.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »

My daughter, even before she got her Masters. was probably making as much (or more) as the Bus Adders who graduated the same year.

These posts make me happy. My daughter who is picking a college right now* is planning on getting a BSN with an eye toward eventually being a NP.

*Actually, she told me today she thinks she’s decided. We’re going to tour this weekend just to make sure.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2021, 05:47:13 AM »
Does she get benefits?  If not, that's not all that great (especially given  the cost of living on the East Coast.

That's what happens when smart women have options other than Nurse and Teacher for a career path.  Supply and demand.  It took 100 years, but I am glad that parity has finally happened.  Given the nursing shortage, it's too bad more men don't consider that option.

Yes, and 401K. It's not always about the money, but the flexibility in scheduling her time and being there for her daughter. She would have no problem getting 12hr shifts at the hospitals in our area and has been offered several managerial positions, but chose not to. My daughters graduating class was 25% men.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:48:55 AM by muwarrior69 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2021, 05:59:35 PM »
In other Marquette Nursing news, it was announced by the BOT that the College of Nursing will be moving into Straz Hall after the Bus Ad moves into its new building.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2021, 06:22:04 PM »
That's significantly larger than Clark Hall right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »
That's significantly larger than Clark Hall right?

Yes, indeed.  The nursing school enrollment has increased by over 50% in the last decade or so.
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2021, 09:11:33 PM »
Yes, indeed.  The nursing school enrollment has increased by over 50% in the last decade or so.

I only had one class in Clark, so don’t know what goes into a nursing school building. Will they have to do a lot of work to put in labs and other things?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2021, 09:22:48 PM »
I only had one class in Clark, so don’t know what goes into a nursing school building. Will they have to do a lot of work to put in labs and other things?

I don't think they have worked out many of the details yet.

They built a pretty kickass simulation lab about 8 years ago. 

https://www.marquette.edu/nursing/students-simulation.php

Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2021, 09:37:22 PM »
I still have dreams that I have a class in either Clark Hall or the old health science building, and I can't find them.  So I just wander around the science end of campus and wake up in a cold sweat.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2021, 06:10:38 AM »
I still have dreams that I have a class in either Clark Hall or the old health science building, and I can't find them.  So I just wander around the science end of campus and wake up in a cold sweat.

Similarly, I wander campus and can't find the final for the class I haven't been to for all semester.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2021, 06:49:56 AM »

How many are there now, Chick?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2021, 07:07:41 AM »
Probably should have it's own thread, but yeah, I have a recurring MU dream too. 

For me, even though I was out in 4 years .. the dream is that I'm there, 7-8-9 years skating by, taking a class because I don't have a job and have nothing better to do so I'm just racking up credits.

I don't know what that means.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2021, 07:22:13 AM »
I used to have the one about having a final in a class I never attended.    That one ended when I beat my department's version of the Koboyashi Maru.     When I dream about college now, I find myself, at my current age, getting stuck in a freshman dorm.   Probably a symbol for me getting old.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2021, 07:30:38 AM »
Probably should have it's own thread, but yeah, I have a recurring MU dream too. 

For me, even though I was out in 4 years .. the dream is that I'm there, 7-8-9 years skating by, taking a class because I don't have a job and have nothing better to do so I'm just racking up credits.

I don't know what that means.

9 years to judge

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2021, 07:49:15 AM »
I used to have the one about having a final in a class I never attended.    That one ended when I beat my department's version of the Koboyashi Maru.     When I dream about college now, I find myself, at my current age, getting stuck in a freshman dorm.   Probably a symbol for me getting old.

I have a version of that. I'm in my second semester senior year and I forgot about a class that was needed for graduation. I get halfway through the semester and suddenly remember -- oops. What an awful dream especially since I had to find a way to pay for another semester.

Today I just dream we have a championship caliber basketball team. Sometimes I think that's a fairy tale.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »
I still have a dream that my high school reached out to MU that I never actually graduated HS and MU and NUIG then void my bachelors and masters and I need to repeat HS, then meet whatever new requirements there are to graduate from MU which I then fail.

It's dreams like this that cause me to drink.
Maigh Eo for Sam