collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Faces Pushback on Faculty Cuts  (Read 24933 times)

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
Re: Marquette Faces Pushback on Faculty Cuts
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »
Disco, you are spot on about the myth pointed out in the article.  The demographic cliff hasn't hit yet.  Other schools, such as the ones mentioned and others, haven't seen these enrollment drop offs. 

But again, I don't think you have it right as to the reason for chasing the national rankings.  That strategy wasn't really working.  In fact, in Lovell's first five years, enrollment actually GREW during his tenure.  The Fall 2018 class was 2,162 - the largest class in years.  This is long after Marquette abandoned the national ranking strategy.  And that's smart.  Why?  Students and parents don't follow the rankings like they used to.  There's too many of them that say different things.  Sure they will MARKET to rankings when it suits their purpose.  They just don't build strategy around growing in rankings.

Furthermore, when you look at their freshmen data over the last 15 years, the percentage of freshmen from WI and IL is largely unchanged.  It has represented somewhere between 70% and 75% each of those years - with no discernable trend in any direction.  So the idea that they don'r recruit well nationally compared to how they used to, is false.  It's really no different.

The thing that I want to know is, what changed between 2018 and 2020?  The strategy of getting more diverse hasn't really changed - they've been at about the same level (upper 20%) since 2015. 

I wonder if the financial issues cited in the article means they have had to cut institutional aid, making them less competitive price wise in the marketplace, and THAT'S what's driving enrollment down.

Makes sense, and I too, am less concerned with Rankings as I used to be for the reasons you mentioned.  That and the fact there just isn't that much upside potential for them to move up to with more and more schools entering the "NATIONAL UNIVERSITY" category.  I think they can realistically move up 7-8 spots and that would be nice but it's impact on enrollment would be negligible if non-existent.   The only other thing I'd add with regard to rankings is that I do think's crucial they maintain a top 100 position.  Hopefully they will continue to.

The acceptance rate, (while I agree is a stupid way to evaluate an institution) is still a big problem particularly with prospective students and their parents in the NE who believe it does matter.   The fact that they're wrong isn't relevant.  You and I may agree on that but the market at least out here disagrees.    I'm not saying MU needs to become anything close to elite but the difference in perception between 85% and 68% is enormous and that doesn't go over well in the wealthy suburbs of Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC.   The types of suburbs where a starter home that needs a six figure renovation still costs at least $1M.

While recruiting more students from these places may seem anathema to MU's mission at first glance, if they had more of these students who's families pay a higher share of the sticker price, they could provide more meaningful assistance to the minority and non-traditional students they are seeking.    Many other institutions have instituted extremely targeted recruiting strategies in these zip codes with great success.  I think MU needs to do more of this, not just in the NE but everywhere, and stop preaching about the mission and start executing the mission which they could implement more successfully if they had a wealthier student base. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »
some of those were much needed and strategic for recruitment and enrollment:

1.  Al McGuire Center - privately funded, badly needed for the basketball program
2. Raynor Library - MU actually cut back on this not making it an actual library and keeping Memorial around.
5. Dentistry building - got a lot of state funding for this. Was very much needed
6. The Commons - badly needed, though I understanding came in over budget. Residence halls are a major recruitment tool and ours are way behind others.
7. PA studies building - PA is becoming an attractive career path and with our lack of a medical school, it made sense to launch the program.
11. Campus Town East - badly needed as well, though they should have found a way to incorporate the 'Lanche.  When I was  looking at schools and toured MU the original Campus Town was being built and was a draw for my family and me knowing there was going to be great off-campus" housing available so close to campus in a safe area (coming from a small town my mom was concerned about the neighborhood around MU.
14. Straz tower (East Hall) first year was 2000, I believe. - This was a renovation, not a newly constructed building.  East actually closed in 1996 due to declining enrollment. With increased enrollment, it was needed and became the "cool" dorm on campus.

Yeah, they were all necessary, but spreading them out a little more spreads out the financial burden.

I'm not sure East was 'cool'.  I lived there in '01-'02.  It was new, had a gym, and had the newest everything.  But it didn't seem like a dorm.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »
Yeah, they were all necessary, but spreading them out a little more spreads out the financial burden.

I'm not sure East was 'cool'.  I lived there in '01-'02.  It was new, had a gym, and had the newest everything.  But it didn't seem like a dorm.

"cool" as in being in demand. People suddenly wanted to live there instead of being assigned there because they couldn't get in anywhere else. When I was a RA in the mid-90's East was not close to full and many of the RA's didn't want to be assigned there.

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
Makes sense, and I too, am less concerned with Rankings as I used to be for the reasons you mentioned.  That and the fact there just isn't that much upside potential for them to move up to with more and more schools entering the "NATIONAL UNIVERSITY" category.  I think they can realistically move up 7-8 spots and that would be nice but it's impact on enrollment would be negligible if non-existent.   The only other thing I'd add with regard to rankings is that I do think's crucial they maintain a top 100 position.  Hopefully they will continue to.

The acceptance rate, (while I agree is a stupid way to evaluate an institution) is still a big problem particularly with prospective students and their parents in the NE who believe it does matter.   The fact that they're wrong isn't relevant.  You and I may agree on that but the market at least out here disagrees.    I'm not saying MU needs to become anything close to elite but the difference in perception between 85% and 68% is enormous and that doesn't go over well in the wealthy suburbs of Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC.   The types of suburbs where a starter home that needs a six figure renovation still costs at least $1M.

While recruiting more students from these places may seem anathema to MU's mission at first glance, if they had more of these students who's families pay a higher share of the sticker price, they could provide more meaningful assistance to the minority and non-traditional students they are seeking.    Many other institutions have instituted extremely targeted recruiting strategies in these zip codes with great success.  I think MU needs to do more of this, not just in the NE but everywhere, and stop preaching about the mission and start executing the mission which they could implement more successfully if they had a wealthier student base. 

Looking at their first year student data, the percentage of students from the northeast hasn't substantially changed over the last decade and a half.  So I don't know what to say.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »

Is East the old YMCA?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2020, 05:26:28 PM »
Is East the old YMCA?

Yeah, but it was refurbished really well and felt brand new when I moved in.  One of the best sells for the place was the AC, and your own bathroom.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2020, 05:32:08 PM »
Marquette’s Board of Trustees met last week to pass the budget for FY 2022.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteUnited/status/1336014438638505986

Paraphrasing the Twitter post above:

• The budget projects a FY22 shortfall in the neighborhood of 30M dollars. Significantly less than the 45M projected by admin since August.
  • The budget adds in an entirely new requirement for the university to maintain a 3% (12.1M) surplus to “provide room for investing in projects of strategic priority.”
  • There is also an 8M contingency fund also going unspent. Elsewhere in the document the Board is electing not to increase the endowment spend rate, or sell property, or use low-interest borrowing as a bridge or use cash on hand.
At the Academic Senate meeting yesterday a number of faculty were livid that the administration still plans on going ahead with cuts in some cases entire programs, like the graduate history program being cut when there is a 12 million surplus.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
Marquette’s Board of Trustees met last week to pass the budget for FY 2022.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteUnited/status/1336014438638505986

Paraphrasing the Twitter post above:

• The budget projects a FY22 shortfall in the neighborhood of 30M dollars. Significantly less than the 45M projected by admin since August.
  • The budget adds in an entirely new requirement for the university to maintain a 3% (12.1M) surplus to “provide room for investing in projects of strategic priority.”
  • There is also an 8M contingency fund also going unspent. Elsewhere in the document the Board is electing not to increase the endowment spend rate, or sell property, or use low-interest borrowing as a bridge or use cash on hand.
At the Academic Senate meeting yesterday a number of faculty were livid that the administration still plans on going ahead with cuts in some cases entire programs, like the graduate history program being cut when there is a 12 million surplus.

I’m sorry but whomever is running that Twitter account has no clue what they’re talking about. Refusing to increase your endowment spend rate, eliminating your contingency and refusing to borrow money to meet operations are NOT examples of “austerity.”  That’s how you effectively manage a University so it doesn’t get worse.

Look I get that the University has made some bad decisions to get them in this mess, but compounding those decisions won’t make things better in the long run.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2020, 11:30:56 AM »

I’m sorry but whomever is running that Twitter account has no clue what they’re talking about. Refusing to increase your endowment spend rate, eliminating your contingency and refusing to borrow money to meet operations are NOT examples of “austerity.”  That’s how you effectively manage a University so it doesn’t get worse.

Look I get that the University has made some bad decisions to get them in this mess, but compounding those decisions won’t make things better in the long run.

Concur.  Private universities can’t lobbying for more state aid and have to steer themselves financially before things get bad.  MU laid off a bunch of faculty when I arrived in the mid 1990s.  Things turned out okay.

Separately, I never felt a welcoming Catholic vibe at Marquette.  The Neumann Center at my undergrad public university was far better than a whole institution that was supposedly Catholic.  This really didn’t bother me because went for an academic program, not a specific college lifestyle or Catholic experience.

The program I attended is on the chopping block, but as faculty has changed out it has replaced academic rigor and a non-ideological methodological approach grounded in academic discipline with political activism and niche concentrations that don’t prepare people for employment.  It won’t bother me to see it disappear.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »
What about the national narrative that is catching that college is too expensive and isn't guaranteeing jobs the way it was?  Couple that with Covid.

Are more kids entering trade school, or have schools asked students if they're taking an 'off year' before entering school next year with no Covid measures?

Personally, I think Marquette has overspent on bricks the last two decades.  Of course, some of that construction was required... but since I started school (2000) here are the new buildings on campus (I'm probably forgetting some as well).

1.  Al McGuire Center
2. Raynor Library
3. Eckstein hall
4. Engineering hall
5. Dentistry building
6. The Commons
7. PA studies building
8. Zilber Hall
9. Athletic and Human Performance Research Center
10. Jes Res
11. Campus Town East
12. Wells Parking Structure
13. Purchased The Marq
14. Straz tower (East Hall) first year was 2000, I believe.
15. Krueger Child Care Center

And special mention goes to the Campus Beautification project started in 2000-2001.

I probably forgot some as well... seems like a lot.

Yes, I realize this was a 20 year time period, so no need to point that out.

This... and in the process lost the "more bars per student than any other university" mantra that lured so many of us in the 80's.

Time to get back to basics... the Catholic thing hooks the parents, the bars hook the kid.  Good basketball is a bonus.   Job done.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2020, 11:20:40 AM »
This... and in the process lost the "more bars per student than any other university" mantra that lured so many of us in the 80's.

Time to get back to basics... the Catholic thing hooks the parents, the bars hook the kid.  Good basketball is a bonus.   Job done.

wasn't Wild the one that made it his mission to get rid of most the bars and such around campus? I mean Angelos and Hag's closed after my freshman year so it wasn't Pillarz or Lovell but most people view Wild's tenure as successful as I recall.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
wasn't Wild the one that made it his mission to get rid of most the bars and such around campus? I mean Angelos and Hag's closed after my freshman year so it wasn't Pillarz or Lovell but most people view Wild's tenure as successful as I recall.

It started under DiUlio

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »

Yes - the point of the poster hasn't been true for a very long time and the strategy pre-dated Wild.  It was the prior President who bought up all the real estate with the goal of cleaning up the neighborhood immediately surrounding the school.  For ref, I started at MU in Wild's first year.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2020, 03:48:13 PM »
Did everyone receive the Mike Lovell message this afternoon?

Matthew 7:25

“And the rains blew and beat on the house, but it did not fall,
because it had been founded on rock.”

Dear Marquette alumni, parents and friends,

As we close our first semester in the most unique academic year in our 139-year history and enter further into the sacred season of Advent, I have been reflecting on the constancy and strength of our Catholic, Jesuit foundation. Past Marquette generations have overcome great depressions, world wars and previous health pandemics. Our predecessors remind us that we have served at the forefront of racial justice movements for decades, inspiring our important work today. I have long admired Marquette’s gritty spirit of resilience, perseverance and faith, which will continue to propel us forward into the future.

For several years prior to COVID-19, we forecasted significant disruption to higher education. While the pandemic has accelerated this disruption, our strategic plan and vision fueled several important academic steps that have put us in a position to succeed for the next generation. Today, I will briefly highlight five of these academic steps:

* Major growth in the College of Nursing: We live in a world where the impact of nursing has never been more important. Nearly four years ago, we opened a satellite campus in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. Since then, nearly 400 new graduate students have fulfilled their calling to become a Marquette Nurse. We have bold plans to grow the number of Marquette Nurses around the world and make an even bigger difference.

* Jesuit-educated data scientists: In 2016, Marquette became one of the first universities in the nation to launch an undergraduate data sciences major. As the world’s technology base quickly grows, so does the need for Jesuit-educated professionals to ethically analyze how data drives decisions. Today, we have more than 700 students in data science courses, spanning nine colleges.

* Enhanced core of common studies: Rooted in mission, we completed our enhanced core curriculum in 2018 to improve the way we connect students to their studies and the world. We’ve created a more meaningful package of philosophy, theology and humanities courses that incorporates disciplines across campus and better prepares students to face the world’s complex moral issues.

* Physician Assistant expansion: To address a major provider gap in primary care, we constructed a new facility in summer 2019 for our nationally ranked Physician Assistant Studies program. Access to excellent health care was at the heart of our strategic growth plan, and we have begun delivering on our promise to educate more mission-centered, highly qualified physician assistants.

* A world-class home for Marquette Business: We continue to gain momentum on our fundraising efforts to build a new home for Marquette Business and innovation leadership programs. Thanks to our generous alumni, parents and friends, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now firmly within reach. Our new state-of-the-art facility, which has a unique collaboration with the Opus College of Engineering, will be 100% donor funded and built for the future, featuring advanced technology and flexible spaces that don’t currently exist.
As we look ahead, we face many difficult decisions. Rest assured that Marquette is on the move, and we are proud of the numerous ways we are helping to solve some of the world’s most complex problems.

Sincerely,
President Lovell's Signature

Dr. Michael R. Lovell
President, Marquette University

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »

I am sure the raising of the drinking age to 21 did as much to kill the bars around campus as any deliberate action on the part of MU.  Also, how many of you alums have been to the few remaining bars around campus within the past couple of years? They are pretty dead, even on the weekends.  The kids who are drinking in bars go downtown now. 
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »

I received it. Seemed kind of odd as there wasn’t really an ask or a reason given. Is that to go with a donation request?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
I received it. Seemed kind of odd as there wasn’t really an ask or a reason given. Is that to go with a donation request?

Just an update with some points of pride thrown in.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »
Yes - the point of the poster hasn't been true for a very long time and the strategy pre-dated Wild.  It was the prior President who bought up all the real estate with the goal of cleaning up the neighborhood immediately surrounding the school.  For ref, I started at MU in Wild's first year.

DiUlio also aggressively went after the party houses before he left in 1995-96. There were a lot of houses busted that year. The notorious "Wet Spot" got something like a $60K fine for a party during Orientation weekend. I remember many of my residents coming back with $650 MIP citations.

MU is not alone in seeing the "party scene" dialed back. Tuition costs are a big part of it. And, as also mentioned, downtown is a bigger destination. Friday nights were for Water Street happy hour crawls.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »

I think MU admissions department does not understand how it is viewed in the Northeast. If they did they would be more embracing of the views you have articulated many times. They are missing out on a large number of qualified prospects who will come to MU is presented with the opportunity .

MU is seen as a school that is a best value. Quality Education with good brand name at affordable e price.  There is a huge untapped market in the Northeast that MU is a great fit for, because what is considered expensive in some other parts of the country is considered a value in the Northeast.  Northeast people will pay full sticker less a partial scholarship and what ever other financial aid they can get for MU. 

All MU really needs to do is be more proactive in visiting the top public schools in the area. It can be done in a very efficient way.   Meet with guidance counselors at top schools in Fairfield County, Westchester County, Nassau County and Northern New Jersey. Go there year after year and explain what MU is all about. The guidance counselors are looking for schools for every kid in the school and MU mission is a good fit for a lot of kids. There is receptivity among the students when they learn about the school. Urban setting is popular with the younger crowd. 

MU Jesuit image is also a big plus. Georgetown and BC are among most popular schools outside of the Ivy's . Parents understand that MU is delivering an equivalent education and it is not hard to close the sale for kids who are willing to go away to college. MU needs to be seen as the equivalent of the lower tier Big Ten schools academically and in the same general range as Fordham or Villanova. Thus the  admissions rate has to be lower .

Many of the students I have written letters for are considering MU versus a place like Boston University. The total cost of attendance at MU is significantly lower. It just needs to continue to be seen as just as viable. The best way to do that is to put the resources into recruiting beyond just the same old catholic high schools. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2020, 07:40:35 AM »
DiUlio also aggressively went after the party houses before he left in 1995-96. There were a lot of houses busted that year. The notorious "Wet Spot" got something like a $60K fine for a party during Orientation weekend. I remember many of my residents coming back with $650 MIP citations.

MU is not alone in seeing the "party scene" dialed back. Tuition costs are a big part of it. And, as also mentioned, downtown is a bigger destination. Friday nights were for Water Street happy hour crawls.

When I was a Junior ('02) the only bars on campus that I can recall were Murph's, Caffs, Heg's, and the Glock.  Conways, and H&S were still there, but they weren't exactly the typical party scene for 21 and 22 year olds.  Now Heg's and the Glock are long gone.  So, if I'm not mistaken there are only the two bars left on campus, correct?

Towards the end of college we started taking the LIMOs and asking to jump out at the closest corner near Water Street.  Taxis would have cost us each a drink, so we walked.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »

Matthew 7:25

“And the rains blew and beat on the house, but it did not fall,
because it had been founded on rock.”

Dear Marquette alumni, parents and friends,

As we close our first semester in the most unique academic year in our 139-year history and enter further into the sacred season of Advent, I have been reflecting on the constancy and strength of our Catholic, Jesuit foundation. Past Marquette generations have overcome great depressions, world wars and previous health pandemics. Our predecessors remind us that we have served at the forefront of racial justice movements for decades, inspiring our important work today. I have long admired Marquette’s gritty spirit of resilience, perseverance and faith, which will continue to propel us forward into the future.

For several years prior to COVID-19, we forecasted significant disruption to higher education. While the pandemic has accelerated this disruption, our strategic plan and vision fueled several important academic steps that have put us in a position to succeed for the next generation. Today, I will briefly highlight five of these academic steps:

* Major growth in the College of Nursing: We live in a world where the impact of nursing has never been more important. Nearly four years ago, we opened a satellite campus in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. Since then, nearly 400 new graduate students have fulfilled their calling to become a Marquette Nurse. We have bold plans to grow the number of Marquette Nurses around the world and make an even bigger difference.

* Jesuit-educated data scientists: In 2016, Marquette became one of the first universities in the nation to launch an undergraduate data sciences major. As the world’s technology base quickly grows, so does the need for Jesuit-educated professionals to ethically analyze how data drives decisions. Today, we have more than 700 students in data science courses, spanning nine colleges.

* Enhanced core of common studies: Rooted in mission, we completed our enhanced core curriculum in 2018 to improve the way we connect students to their studies and the world. We’ve created a more meaningful package of philosophy, theology and humanities courses that incorporates disciplines across campus and better prepares students to face the world’s complex moral issues.

* Physician Assistant expansion: To address a major provider gap in primary care, we constructed a new facility in summer 2019 for our nationally ranked Physician Assistant Studies program. Access to excellent health care was at the heart of our strategic growth plan, and we have begun delivering on our promise to educate more mission-centered, highly qualified physician assistants.

* A world-class home for Marquette Business: We continue to gain momentum on our fundraising efforts to build a new home for Marquette Business and innovation leadership programs. Thanks to our generous alumni, parents and friends, this once-in-a-lifetime project is now firmly within reach. Our new state-of-the-art facility, which has a unique collaboration with the Opus College of Engineering, will be 100% donor funded and built for the future, featuring advanced technology and flexible spaces that don’t currently exist.
As we look ahead, we face many difficult decisions. Rest assured that Marquette is on the move, and we are proud of the numerous ways we are helping to solve some of the world’s most complex problems.

Sincerely,
President Lovell's Signature

Dr. Michael R. Lovell
President, Marquette University

Does MU have a Nurse Practitioner program? I would think many of the course work between NPs and PAs would overlap and having a separate facility for PAs seems inefficient to me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
Does MU have a Nurse Practitioner program? I would think many of the course work between NPs and PAs would overlap and having a separate facility for PAs seems inefficient to me.

Yes. And they are not the same thing.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2020, 09:46:47 AM »
I am sure the raising of the drinking age to 21 did as much to kill the bars around campus as any deliberate action on the part of MU.  Also, how many of you alums have been to the few remaining bars around campus within the past couple of years? They are pretty dead, even on the weekends.  The kids who are drinking in bars go downtown now.

Funny you mention this. Before the pandemic I was at a wedding in MKE and decided I was going to take a cousin to Caff's for old time sake and it was a complete ghost town. If I wanted that I'd have just gone to JTO's or Harp & Sham.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »
Yes. And they are not the same thing.

Yes, but they both require clinical training and why would that have to separated? Would not a collaborative approach be beneficial to both disciplines.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »
Yes, but they both require clinical training and why would that have to separated? Would not a collaborative approach be beneficial to both disciplines.

I don't have the level of expertise to explain in detail why clinical training is different, but my MSN daughter could.  Also, since clinical training takes place out in the field, for all intents and purposes it is unrelated to facility needs.

Also, the nursing building is already bursting at the seams (their on-campus program has almost double the number of students they had a decade ago), and the PA program was still in a crappy old office building on Wells street decades after they were promised a better facility.  Even if they were able to somehow combine aspects of the programs, they still needed the room.
Have some patience, FFS.