[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 85704 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Vote!
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Same here in MN.

I put mine in the drop box at the county offices on Monday. The next day that it had been registered into the MN Secretary of State's system, with a verification that it will be counted. Great system.

That’s the way Oregon has done it for 20 years. Had record primary turnout in the midst of the pandemic. That’s the problem for one side though, it helps people vote and we can’t have that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »
Another benefit to voting early is that I suspect that the militia types are going to be patrolling near polling sites with AR-15's.     I avoid that crap. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Another benefit to voting early is that I suspect that the militia types are going to be patrolling near polling sites with AR-15's.     I avoid that crap.

Isn't that illegal in every state?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 02:00:02 PM »
So are kidnapping plots.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
As do I.  Concealed carry only.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
Another benefit to voting early is that I suspect that the militia domestic terrorist types are going to be patrolling near polling sites with AR-15's.     I avoid that crap.

FIFY
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
Dems got more votes in the South Carolina February primary than they did in 2 of the last 3 Senate elections (2016 was the exception, which was a presidential year). Turnout will be the key. I also think Graham may be uniquely qualified to lose voters. Worth watching is the Constitution Party candidate Bill Bledsoe, who dropped out and endorsed Graham but will still appear on the ballot. Low information voters may cast protest votes away from the unpopular Graham. Not likely, but no impossible.

Isn't that illegal in every state?

It is, but then it comes down to enforcement. Private militias patrolling or protecting property in public, like the one Kyle Rittenhouse was part of, are illegal, but police on scene were openly thanking them.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 04:08:49 PM »
Not so sure it's illegal in every state. Michigan's Secretary of State just had to release 'new restrictions' to prohibit guns at polling places, county clerk's offices and places where absentee ballots will be tallied.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/10/16/924515201/michigan-bans-open-carry-of-guns-at-polling-locations-on-election-day

And if it was technically legal in Michigan - at least before Friday - I can only imagine what the law might say in some of the really red states.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »
Not so sure it's illegal in every state. Michigan's Secretary of State just had to release 'new restrictions' to prohibit guns at polling places, county clerk's offices and places where absentee ballots will be tallied.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/10/16/924515201/michigan-bans-open-carry-of-guns-at-polling-locations-on-election-day

And if it was technically legal in Michigan - at least before Friday - I can only imagine what the law might say in some of the really red states.

Private militias activating themselves are illegal in every state.

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/icap/our-work/addressing-the-rise-of-unlawful-private-paramilitaries/state-fact-sheets/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2020, 05:28:27 PM »

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/icap/our-work/addressing-the-rise-of-unlawful-private-paramilitaries/state-fact-sheets/

An actual militia 'patrolling' the site as a group - absolutely.

But individuals availing themselves of conceal carry or open carry laws are not necessarily prevented from having guns at or near polling places. And since the burden would be on the state to prove that it was a group formally patrolling a site instead of a bunch of individuals 'exercising their Second Amendment rights,' there is still cause for concern. Hence, Michigan's new restrictions, which clearly apply to all individuals.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2020, 06:03:55 PM »

My guess is that there will be very few - if any - of these little cowards at polling places in black areas.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »

Good for them.

I just wonder if this directive will be challenged in court, perhaps backed by NRA $$$$.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2020, 11:32:15 PM »

My guess is that there will be very few - if any - of these little cowards at polling places in black areas.

I'm not so sure of that. What's the point of them going into white suburbs? The militias in Portland, Louisville, and Kenosha all went into minority areas, did they not?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »
I don't think we will see "militias," but will likely see a few people at a few sights causing trouble for various reasons.

My guess is that a number of them won't understand the process because they've never voted before either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
I have read in some FB groups I belong to that there are issues at some early voting places with people showing up who refuse to wear masks.  This can delay things while officials try to deal with it, and also cause other people to not want to stay if they Feel unsafe.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »
I'm not so sure of that. What's the point of them going into white suburbs? The militias domestic terrorists in Portland, Louisville, and Kenosha all went into minority areas, did they not?

FTFY

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2020, 10:41:57 AM »
I have read in some FB groups I belong to that there are issues at some early voting places with people showing up who refuse to wear masks.  This can delay things while officials try to deal with it, and also cause other people to not want to stay if they Feel unsafe.

In Texas, it is illegal to require people to wear masks to polling places. https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-ag-reminds-election-officials-masks-not-mandated-at-polling-places/

The cynic in me says that this is done to try to scare people who take the pandemic more seriously away from the polls.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
In Wisconsin, we are not allowed to turn anyone away at the polling place.  Even if they are sick with every symptom of Covid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
In Wisconsin, we are not allowed to turn anyone away at the polling place.  Even if they are sick with every symptom of Covid.

Then we should be advising all elderly voters to stay home.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »

Hate to say it, but this makes sense. Allowing election judges to arbitrarily deny someone the ability to vote based on a subjective, non-expert diagnosis would seem problematic.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2020, 12:07:53 PM »
Hate to say it, but this makes sense. Allowing election judges to arbitrarily deny someone the ability to vote based on a subjective, non-expert diagnosis would seem problematic.

Yep. And then you have different standards across the state depending on who's watching the door.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
Then we should be advising all elderly voters to stay home.

We are.  That's why the big push for early voting and mail in voting.  If you're infected or afraid of getting infected, it's easy to vote without going to the polls on election day.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »
The Secretary of State's office in Illinois can't afford to send out renewal notices for license plates or driver's licenses, but they sent both Glow and me notices via first class mail to our Wisconsin address (which we never directly provided to them) encouraging us to submit absentee ballots in Illinois. We had surrendered our Illinois driver's licenses months before.

And you are surprised by this because...?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »
And you are surprised by this because...?

They are still registered to vote.  They did a NCOA before they sent out the mailing.  People often change addresses before they relocate for a temporary time (like snowbirds), so I really don't see the problem here.

If they vote illegally in Illinois, that's on them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
The Secretary of State's office in Illinois can't afford to send out renewal notices for license plates or driver's licenses, but they sent both Glow and me notices via first class mail to our Wisconsin address (which we never directly provided to them) encouraging us to submit absentee ballots in Illinois. We had surrendered our Illinois driver's licenses months before.

Both your license plate and driver's license already have expiration dates on them. And everyone can sign up for email notices.
Do you think it's a wise use of your taxpayer money to snail mail people notices of what's already in front of their eyes and notices can be sent free?
Everyone is for government efficiency and cost-cutting until they're not.

feedback