[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vote!  (Read 85733 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Vote!
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 07:33:47 PM »
Nads, what was your big hurry to register your vote? I haven't voted yet, but my vote will cancel yours out anyway, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »
I got mine in early because I would hate to be unable to vote because I was sick.  Never know when a positive patient is going to hack up a lung on me.
Too much integrity to endanger others.b. But it would sure suck to plan to vote on November 3 and be quarantining.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 09:17:08 PM »
Nads, what was your big hurry to register your vote? I haven't voted yet, but my vote will cancel yours out anyway, hey?

Maybe yours will cancel my first vote, but not my second or third.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
In CT there is a website where I can already see that my ballot is received.  Delivered to me by mail but I chose to hand deliver to Dropbox. 

I can get used to this-it was nice to have it done on my own time but also to see some verification of receipt.

Same here in MN.

I put mine in the drop box at the county offices on Monday. The next day that it had been registered into the MN Secretary of State's system, with a verification that it will be counted. Great system.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
Anyone else get texts soliciting donations for candidates that live nowhere near you.

I've been getting texts asking me to donate to Tommy Tubervile. I live nowhere near Alabama.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »
Anyone else get texts soliciting donations for candidates that live nowhere near you.

I've been getting texts asking me to donate to Tommy Tubervile. I live nowhere near Alabama.

The only thing I can think of is if you use a VPN that connects through a server in that area. If not, really strange.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 10:36:29 PM »
Same here in MN.

I put mine in the drop box at the county offices on Monday. The next day that it had been registered into the MN Secretary of State's system, with a verification that it will be counted. Great system.

Yup, Colorado's been that way for what feels like a decade.  Ballot mailed to you early, drop in a box at your convenience, check status online.  Easy. 

OK, looked it up.  It's been that way since 2014. And I guess other states have been bugging Colorado on "how to get it right": https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/24/mail-vote-ballots-colorado-coronavirus/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 11:34:46 PM »
I early voted today and something weird happened.

There's a polling place at A&M's student union where I went to cast my vote. When I got my ballot, I noticed it said that I was voting at a baptist church a few miles away instead of at the student union. I brought this up to the volunteers at the polling site and they said they were aware and said that the wrong ballots had been delivered there but it wasn't a problem. A few questions:

1. Are they right, is that not a problem?
2. If it is a problem, where do I report said problem?
3. If it is a problem, how do I make sure that my vote is going to be counted?

In the past, I  probably would have shrugged my shoulders and trusted the volunteers. Given how much "emphasis" has been put on voter fraud this election, I just want to make sure that my vote isn't getting thrown out because of a delivery error.

It’s called muddying the waters. If these votes are contested, it might be easy to get them tossed.

I would follow the suggestions you were given - especially notifying local media to get this on the record as this may involve hundreds or thousands of votes.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2020, 07:41:19 AM »
#facepalm

IBTL

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »

On my cell phone, I have been getting donation requests addressed not only to me, but also to Glow, Glow Jr. (who lives on the other side of the country), and someone named "Jenna".
Have some patience, FFS.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »

I get easily 5-8 fundraising emails DAILY from the candidate in South Carolina who running against Lindsey Graham.  I guess that kind of effort is why he recently set all time record for quarterly donations.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »
My mom and dad were a split marriage .. she was a Democrat, he a Republican. 

There were many years where we'd have a R candidate lawn sign on one side of the yard, their D opponent on the other.

Inevitably on election day, they'd go (separately) to the polls and announce "I'M GOING TO CANCEL OUT YOUR VOTE."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:09 AM »
My mom and dad were a split marriage .. she was a Democrat, he a Republican. 

There were many years where we'd have a R candidate lawn sign on one side of the yard, their D opponent on the other.

Inevitably on election day, they'd go (separately) to the polls and announce "I'M GOING TO CANCEL OUT YOUR VOTE."

And they say Millenials and Gen Z invented Cancel Culture
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »
And they say Millenials and Gen Z invented Cancel Culture

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 10:00:30 PM »

Friend,

I’ve been on MU boards since I was in high school. I thought I had an idea of who you were, but this election season has me shocked more than normal.

Why of all people are you pushing T?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 01:06:08 AM »
On my cell phone, I have been getting donation requests addressed not only to me, but also to Glow, Glow Jr. (who lives on the other side of the country), and someone named "Jenna".

I'm "Alan".

Fück you, Al.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2020, 07:44:23 AM »
I get easily 5-8 fundraising emails DAILY from the candidate in South Carolina who running against Lindsey Graham.  I guess that kind of effort is why he recently set all time record for quarterly donations.

Jaime Harrison.

His campaign raised $57 million this past quarter.  In addition, the Biden campaign has raised hundreds of millions of dollars, more than they can spend between now and the election.

Many people today have lived in several geographies, as well as have spent time in many geographies. Everything isn't hyper local. Many people care what is going on in other geographies. And people also pay attention to the work of elected officials that affect them nationally even if lthe elected official is located elsewhere.

These things of course work both ways. Larry Ellison of Oracle recently donated $250,000 to Lindsey Graham after Oracle was named a U.S. Tik Tok company. And of course Lindsey Graham has been on National television many times recently begging for money nationally.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:02:19 AM by shoothoops »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2020, 08:14:51 AM »
Friend,

I’ve been on MU boards since I was in high school. I thought I had an idea of who you were, but this election season has me shocked more than normal.

Why of all people are you pushing T?

O, I taught Nads hated Byedon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »

O, I taught Nads hated Byedon, hey?

Why are you obsessed with me, even when you are talking to other Scoopers, and what the eff are you talking about?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2020, 10:03:30 AM »
Be they Republicans, Democrats or Unaffiliateds, I'm proud of my fellow North Carolinians.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article246524703.html?ac_cid=DM304246&ac_bid=-1721422190

More than 425,000 votes were cast in person in North Carolina on Friday, about twice as many as on Thursday when polls opened for early voting.

The total number of votes cast in person was at 656,710, according to the N.C. State Board of Elections. That includes the ballots from people who stood outside in the rain Friday and those who lined up before sunrise and waited hours to vote on Thursday.

In addition to early votes cast in person, 592,176 absentee ballots had been cast as of Saturday morning.

That brings the total number of votes cast to nearly 1.25 million, more than 17% of the state’s registered voters.

Vote!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »

You should live in Florida to a divided household. We get calls from every possible side of the political spectrum.

What’s even more interesting is that I registered to vote in Florida in 2017. At the time, the State of Florida sent my voters registration to the Lake County, IL Board of Elections telling them I was a resident of Florida and to cancel my registration in Illinois. I still have a summer home in Lake County, IL and lo-and-behold, I received a voter registration card in the mail last week. My wife went through the same process and her registration was cancelled. Mine apparently wasn’t.

Another story was when we moved from Naperville to Libertyville in 1994, we moved out of a precinct that was at the time virtually all GOP. We had a week between homes and when we moved to our new home, the first piece of mail we received was a letter from the DuPage County Board of Elections telling my wife (and her alone) that the GOP Precinct Committeemen had brought to their attention that my wife (but not me) no longer lives in our house in Naperville and she should show cause as to why she should not be deleted from the voter roles. Needless to say, we both registered in Lake County.

My favorite though was still back in the 1980s when my parents moved to Wilmette. The local Republican precinct captain stopped by during the election and introduced himself and the Republican “team” to my Dad. My father was very polite and though a Democrat, promised to give serious consideration to the candidates. When my Dad told the precinct worker he was a Democrat, the precinct worker said, “I didn’t know a Democrat could get a mortgage on a home in this neighborhood.”

My Dad smiled and said, “I didn’t either. I paid cash. Look it up!”

No matter what your political party and beliefs, please vote. Too many people in this country died to preserve that right. And, for those of you who live in Illinois, one time is enough! OK?

Happy Election Day everyone.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
Jaime Harrison.

His campaign raised $57 million this past quarter.  In addition, the Biden campaign has raised hundreds of millions of dollars, more than they can spend between now and the election.

Many people today have lived in several geographies, as well as have spent time in many geographies. Everything isn't hyper local. Many people care what is going on in other geographies. And people also pay attention to the work of elected officials that affect them nationally even if lthe elected official is located elsewhere.

These things of course work both ways. Larry Ellison of Oracle recently donated $250,000 to Lindsey Graham after Oracle was named a U.S. Tik Tok company. And of course Lindsey Graham has been on National television many times recently begging for money nationally.
538 (I think) had an interesting story on this race. Basically said that it will be very hard for Harrison to win, because in a good year, the Democratic candidate can pretty easily get to 45%, but it is extremely difficult to get to 50% because S.C. has the most consistent voters by party affiliation. That is, there are very few swing voters or voters that ever cross party lines. It would take a huge change in party turnout to overcome that advantage.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
The Secretary of State's office in Illinois can't afford to send out renewal notices for license plates or driver's licenses, but they sent both Glow and me notices via first class mail to our Wisconsin address (which we never directly provided to them) encouraging us to submit absentee ballots in Illinois. We had surrendered our Illinois driver's licenses months before.

Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
538 (I think) had an interesting story on this race. Basically said that it will be very hard for Harrison to win, because in a good year, the Democratic candidate can pretty easily get to 45%, but it is extremely difficult to get to 50% because S.C. has the most consistent voters by party affiliation. That is, there are very few swing voters or voters that ever cross party lines. It would take a huge change in party turnout to overcome that advantage.

I have read similar, and it would be one of the biggest upsets around if Harrison wins. Indeed, the latest reliable poll has Graham back in front by 6 points.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »

Harrison may or may not win, but he certainly has a legit chance. And he has the money to spend to try to do so. My point was more about how many people around the country are interested in and actively participating in political races across the country.

As for the also mentioned, getting texts, calls, emails, personally from  several markets across the country, that is very different. It’s one thing to see a Jaime Harrison ad on tv or the internet in another state. It’s another to be personally contacted.

I am probably like many others that ai have been contacted a lot via phone calls, texting, and emails for specific political races, unsolicited. That is very different.

Much of the time I just ignore them and I don’t keep up with them. However, One time I answered because I thought I knew the number. It was a young adult polling me about a Congressional race. So I played along and answered a few questions, which turned into many questions. The caller at first asked pretty simple straight forward questions. Later as it became apparent I supported a different candidate, the questions had long set ups with false premises to elevate one candidate and to disparage the other. After the person saying repeatedly just a few more questions etc...I had gotten to the point where it was way too long and ended the call. I have been contacted by at least a half a dozen states. But I only answered the one time because I thought I knew the number. I won’t miss being contacted.