[Today at 09:43:37 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 373409 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1250 on: January 28, 2021, 12:57:45 PM »
Clever, but not sure if i would take a shot in the arm from 2 cats walking around in a snowstorm.   ;D

Lol

Give that storyline to Stephen King and you have the makings of a bestseller.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: January 28, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55850352

Novavax report from the UK

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: January 28, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55850352

Novavax report from the UK

A bit concerning that it was only 60% effective against the South African variant. That would suggest also only around 60% effective against the Brazil variant.

While still offering protection, that is a pretty significant drop-off.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:01 AM »
Know it’s just a press release, but from the people I read and have trusted online, J&J results (if backed up by data), is good, but not great news.  Think the key % some experts I’ve read is 85% effective against severe cases.

All this being said, if approved by the FDA with same protocols as before, would take this thing tomorrow if it was available to me.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1254 on: January 29, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
All this being said, if approved by the FDA with same protocols as before, would take this thing tomorrow if it was available to me.

Same.  I think the possibility that we'll be taking vaccines and boosters annually for different strains is very high .. so might as well take the 85% shot since you'll be taking another one anyhow.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: January 29, 2021, 08:09:44 AM »
I wish the writing/coverage would pivot to also highlight the prevention of severe cases.  I believe a read that with the SA variant, Novavax still has a high prevention of severe COVID.

At the end of the day I would love a bullet proof 95% effective vaccine, but really all we need is something that greatly reduces the severity.  We're never going to prevent everyone from getting sick.  As topper says its inevitable that we get our mRNA boost every year for whatever this morphs into.  The spread is just too far and wide for this not to happen at this point.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: January 29, 2021, 08:14:28 AM »
Keep rolling the more effective ones for the high risk and front line personnel and roll out the J&J for the general population.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: January 29, 2021, 10:01:52 AM »
Know it’s just a press release, but from the people I read and have trusted online, J&J results (if backed up by data), is good, but not great news.  Think the key % some experts I’ve read is 85% effective against severe cases.

I think it's really good news. Single shot, easier storage, no cases reported after 49 days.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: January 29, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »
I feel like I've read multiple times since the beginning of the pandemic that the consensus thought was after a vaccine was developed we would go from "Cold & Flu Season" to "Cold & Flu & Coronavirus Season".
It's sure is sounding that way.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1259 on: January 29, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
I wish the writing/coverage would pivot to also highlight the prevention of severe cases.  I believe a read that with the SA variant, Novavax still has a high prevention of severe COVID.

Agreed, and I've read that too. In fact, I beloved I saw that high % as 100%. That would be fantastic, and worthwhile even if the vaccine had 0% efficacy.

Edit:  Novavax seems to be 85% at preventing severe cases.  It was Sinovac/CoronaVac (China's vaccine) that was doing very well preventing severe cases, despite very meh efficacy numbers:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-55642648
But Butantan stressed that the vaccine is 78% effective in preventing mild cases that needed treatment and 100% effective in staving off moderate to serious cases.

Edit again:  And I just read J&Js release.  "complete protection" on day 28 is good.
https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-single-shot-janssen-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-met-primary-endpoints-in-interim-analysis-of-its-phase-3-ensemble-trial
85% Effective Overall in Preventing Severe Disease and Demonstrated Complete Protection Against COVID-19 related Hospitalization and Death as of Day 28
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:19:17 PM by rocky_warrior »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
I think it's really good news. Single shot, easier storage, no cases reported after 49 days.

I believe it was no severe cases requiring hospitlization after 49 days. That's still very good.

But, the best use of this vaccine is actually going to be in developing countries, where the easier storage is a huge deal, and where history shows compliance on multi-shot vaccines is exceedingly poor.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: January 29, 2021, 04:30:42 PM »
This is how the info should be presented in my opinion

https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1355145433899794433?s=21

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1262 on: January 29, 2021, 06:16:20 PM »

But, the best use of this vaccine is actually going to be in developing countries, where the easier storage is a huge deal, and where history shows compliance on multi-shot vaccines is exceedingly poor.

Agree. I suspect most in the USA (at least this first time around) will be getting the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Storage and the two-shot regimen are less of an issue, and by the time others like J&J get approved and distributed, the need here will have diminished.

Vaccines like J&J will be great for developing countries, though.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1263 on: January 29, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »
ok ok, here's the new order for receiving the vaccine-

1. hollywood and important gubmint people

2. the rich and famous-oops 2nd verse, same as the first...i'm henry the 8th i am, henry the 8th i am, i am....

3. please sir, can we have more crowd

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30800506/milwaukee-bucks-executive-alex-lasry-33-got-lucky-covid-19-vaccine

little al must not have gotten the message-wear a mask, wash your hands and stay home

btw, i had to really work, make a lot of calls to get the vaccine, some weeks after they made it available to "front line".  my own professional organization was useless as tata's on a bull and i told them.  if not for my relationship with the people at my home medical clinic, where i've received my health care for the past 20 years, i'd still be calling and waiting for that email.  my staff has still not been contacted  but al lasry got it

don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: January 29, 2021, 09:17:45 PM »
Yes, and he has been roundly criticized in another thread for it.   Welcome to the party, pal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1265 on: January 30, 2021, 12:39:32 AM »
Yes, and he has been roundly criticized in another thread for it.   Welcome to the party, pal.

well then i must be in with the cool guys-yay!!  you think i have time to read post of every thread? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1266 on: January 30, 2021, 07:52:20 AM »
  so nice to see lunch pail joe getting the vaccine to the gitmo "miscreants" before most of our level 1, 2 and even 3 CITIZENS get it are we out of our collective minds? get the damn thing to our teachers so we can justify their paychecks at least and get our kids back in school.  gitmo should be the least of our worries

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/536431-guantanamo-bay-prisoners-to-be-offered-coronavirus-vaccines

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1267 on: January 30, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »
  so nice to see lunch pail joe getting the vaccine to the gitmo "miscreants" before most of our level 1, 2 and even 3 CITIZENS get it are we out of our collective minds? get the damn thing to our teachers so we can justify their paychecks at least and get our kids back in school.  gitmo should be the least of our worries

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/536431-guantanamo-bay-prisoners-to-be-offered-coronavirus-vaccines

If we are vaccinating the 6,000 citizens who are there, using 40 of them on the detainees is fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1268 on: January 30, 2021, 08:34:51 AM »
If your best 'whataboutism' is not liking the order that people are getting vaccinated....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1269 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »
Let's get back to talking about vaccines, people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: January 30, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
Did I hear this correctly?   J&J says that while their vaccine only prevents 66%, no one who has taken their vaccine has died of COVID.

If accurate, an interesting standard.   You still may get it, but it won't kill you.    Actually, I can see that being the one in developing nations and being given to kids.   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1271 on: January 30, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »
Did I hear this correctly?   J&J says that while their vaccine only prevents 66%, no one who has taken their vaccine has died of COVID.

If accurate, an interesting standard.   You still may get it, but it won't kill you.    Actually, I can see that being the one in developing nations and being given to kids.   

Correct. And it was only 57% effective in South Africa...against the strain that will likely be the dominant one here soon.

It will be good in developing countries where the single-shot regimen and easy storage are huge issues, but I don't see it helping much here.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1272 on: January 30, 2021, 01:31:05 PM »
It will be good in developing countries where the single-shot regimen and easy storage are huge issues, but I don't see it helping much here.

Disagree - there are still big hurdles (transport/storage) using just Pfizer & Moderna.  To vaccinate everyone in the US we're gonna' need the 100M doses we agreed to buy from J&J.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1273 on: January 30, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »
Disagree - there are still big hurdles (transport/storage) using just Pfizer & Moderna.  To vaccinate everyone in the US we're gonna' need the 100M doses we agreed to buy from J&J.

We agreed to buy 100M doses...but there are reports that production is behind schedule, and they hope to have 30M by the end of April, with the full 100M by mid summer. With the ever-evolving variants, we're gonna be in a world of hurt if we still have that many people waiting for a shot in June.

I'm sure a few million in remote areas will get them, but it will be a drop in the bucket compared to Moderna and Pfizer.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: January 30, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
I think the J&J vaccine sounds great for the younger and healthier set.  Personally I’m just not trying to spread or get hospitalized.  One of those likely comes off the table with JNJ.  So a less effective vaccine sounds great.