[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 369090 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1225 on: January 25, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »

The point of shutting down - if we do it right - would be to minimize the rate of transmission and thereby minimize the rate of mutations, so we don't have to keep shutting down in the future. If we don't shut down now, the future state will likely be very unpleasant..and considerably worse than we are living in today.

https://fortune.com/2021/01/06/covid-pandemic-recession-unemployment-mortality-rate-increase/

Kind of a no win situation right now when juggling the idea of shutting down again or not.  Damned if we do, damned if we don’t according to this John Hopkins study

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1226 on: January 25, 2021, 12:15:11 PM »
https://fortune.com/2021/01/06/covid-pandemic-recession-unemployment-mortality-rate-increase/

Kind of a no win situation right now when juggling the idea of shutting down again or not.  Damned if we do, damned if we don’t according to this John Hopkins study

No, that is not what that study says. And no, in general that is not a correct assessment of the data. And that's all that I will entertain on this topic.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1227 on: January 25, 2021, 12:35:36 PM »
We may not have enough people vaccinated for herd immunity, but we may have "the right" people largely vaccinated to significantly lessen hospitalizations and deaths.

Possibly. But with evidence indicating that the UK strain may be more virulent (and possibilities that others might be as well), combined with the possibility of new mutations that can infect even previously infected people, it's also possible that the decrease may not be all that significant. And if we get mutations that get around even vaccinated people, well...

I know the political will probably doesn't exist to shut down again. I'm just giving the medical/scientific viewpoint.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1228 on: January 25, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »
We may not have enough people vaccinated for herd immunity, but we may have "the right" people largely vaccinated to significantly lessen hospitalizations and deaths.

I think you are probably right, but the problem remains that the vaccine is not widely available - even to groups that are currently on the list.

I can only speak for Racine, but they don't have supplies to vaccinate those people who have been told they can be vaccinated. Neither Ascension nor Walgreens - probably the 2 biggest providers have available doses.

Supposedly, we have deals with Pfizer and Moderna for 400 Mil by summer - but I don't know that we will have the supplies or vaccine to do 100M in 100 days.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1229 on: January 25, 2021, 02:06:13 PM »
I think you are probably right, but the problem remains that the vaccine is not widely available - even to groups that are currently on the list.

I can only speak for Racine, but they don't have supplies to vaccinate those people who have been told they can be vaccinated. Neither Ascension nor Walgreens - probably the 2 biggest providers have available doses.

Supposedly, we have deals with Pfizer and Moderna for 400 Mil by summer - but I don't know that we will have the supplies or vaccine to do 100M in 100 days.

Right.  I originally said keeping people in serious mitigation mode through the Spring.  So by summer.  We have four-plus months to get there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1230 on: January 25, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »
Moderna announces their vaccine is effective against the British and South African variants. 

No word on the Brazil strain.

Well, shhheeeeeeiiitttt, now they are working on a booster for the south African strain.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:48:12 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: January 25, 2021, 04:16:23 PM »
Again, we aren't doing that bad with vaccinations.  Our rate per 100 is better than pretty much everyone else. 

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1353827231462797312?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: January 25, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »
Moderna announces their vaccine is effective against the British and South African variants.

No word on the Brazil strain.

Well, shhheeeeeeiiitttt, now they are working on a booster for the south African strain.

Yes and no. They believe it will likely be less effective against the South African variant, how much so, they don't know, hence the idea of a booster.

But any booster will have to undergo clinical testing still.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1233 on: January 25, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »

Yes and no. They believe it will likely be less effective against the South African variant, how much so, they don't know, hence the idea of a booster.

But any booster will have to undergo clinical testing still.

It will be interesting to see how much clinical testing FDA requires for any boosters. Will it be the very abbreviated testing undergone by the annual flu vaccine, or a more extensive investigation like the original Covid vaccines? mRNA vaccines are still new, so I could see an argument in favor of the latter. But given the urgency of the situation, I suspect they will go with an abbreviated review process.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:16 PM »

It will be interesting to see how much clinical testing FDA requires for any boosters. Will it be the very abbreviated testing undergone by the annual flu vaccine, or a more extensive investigation like the original Covid vaccines? mRNA vaccines are still new, so I could see an argument in favor of the latter. But given the urgency of the situation, I suspect they will go with an abbreviated review process.

I'd be concerned if they abbreviated the review process. Although unlikely, there would be the possibility that any booster designed against the mutated virus, could cause vaccine-induced enhancement of the viral infection (similar to what happened with some early Measles vaccines).

I agree, we might see it rushed due to urgency, but if they asked me I'd be cautioning against it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1235 on: January 25, 2021, 11:41:45 PM »
I'd be concerned if they abbreviated the review process. Although unlikely, there would be the possibility that any booster designed against the mutated virus, could cause vaccine-induced enhancement of the viral infection (similar to what happened with some early Measles vaccines).

I agree, we might see it rushed due to urgency, but if they asked me I'd be cautioning against it.

I totally agree.

Unfortunately, without the political will to do another shutdown, I fear that a complete review could take so long that the vaccine may be rendered obsolete by new mutations before they are finished.

The poor decisionmaking a year ago keeps haunting us every step of the way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: January 26, 2021, 06:27:06 AM »
From the NYT:

In New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that he would delay the openings of mass vaccination sites at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field because the city didn’t have enough doses to distribute. Many New Yorkers have had their inoculation appointments canceled as the city waits on more vaccines. ...

Meanwhile, there’s growing evidence that the virus is morphing more quickly than experts had thought, with new variants emerging that make it more difficult to contain. Yesterday, two drug makers reported that their vaccines, while still effective, are slightly less potent against the variant from South Africa.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: January 26, 2021, 10:41:44 AM »
From the NYT:

In New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that he would delay the openings of mass vaccination sites at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field because the city didn’t have enough doses to distribute. Many New Yorkers have had their inoculation appointments canceled as the city waits on more vaccines. ...

Meanwhile, there’s growing evidence that the virus is morphing more quickly than experts had thought, with new variants emerging that make it more difficult to contain. Yesterday, two drug makers reported that their vaccines, while still effective, are slightly less potent against the variant from South Africa.

This is a joke. NY continues to bumble this.  My GF’s boss was vaccinated in NY yesterday.  He was trying to schedule a vaccine for his wife as she has a family history of breathing issues.  They asked if either of them had “qualifying” issues or underlying medical conditions that would make them eligible for early vaccination...except they didn’t have to detail which due to HIPAA.  He said “umm yes?” And he and his wife were both scheduled, no issue.  He’s a perfectly healthy 39 year old who works in an office building. 

If NY doesn’t have doses, it’s cause they have no clue what they are doing, but naturally de Blasio will find someone else to blame.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: January 26, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
This is a joke. NY continues to bumble this.  My GF’s boss was vaccinated in NY yesterday.  He was trying to schedule a vaccine for his wife as she has a family history of breathing issues.  They asked if either of them had “qualifying” issues or underlying medical conditions that would make them eligible for early vaccination...except they didn’t have to detail which due to HIPAA.  He said “umm yes?” And he and his wife were both scheduled, no issue.  He’s a perfectly healthy 39 year old who works in an office building. 

If NY doesn’t have doses, it’s cause they have no clue what they are doing, but naturally de Blasio will find someone else to blame.

Not sure how that story is "NY and de Blasio bumbling this". It is the same story everywhere. You are not required to provide proof of a medical condition. It's all on the honor system. Even then, group 1b includes people that are overweight (BMI above 25) and people that were previously smokers. It isn't hard to get included in phase 1b.

That isn't a NY thing, it is a US thing. Like most places, NY is now out of vaccine doses. Nationwide there is more demand than supply for the groups currently authorized to be vaccinated, so you see cancelation of appointments and suspension of vaccine campaigns because there is no vaccine. We need more supply, which is why months ago, they should have enacted the defense production act to facilitate supply.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: January 26, 2021, 01:30:12 PM »
Errr, what? Unless NY is producing their own vaccine doses, your statement doesn't make any sense.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1240 on: January 26, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »

I'm not gonna defend DiBlasio because he has messed up plenty of times...but if NY doesn't have doses, it's because they haven't been delivered. And NY isn't alone in this; state and local public health officials have been quite uniform in their comments about not receiving the doses they had been promised.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: January 26, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »
There were stories coming out of NYC less than a month ago that there were countless appointments available because the registration/appointment scheduling process online was too confusing or complicated for many members of the priority groups.  Now they have no doses available. Im just saying it’s a mess. They messed up the initial phase, and now it’s a disaster (mostly due to things out of their control), but it’s not like it’s been a tightly run ship that suddenly is off course due to no fault of their own.  I didn’t convey that well at first and mixed points, but I’m just very slow to feel bad for BDB on anything and trust they did everything right up to that point after living through his COVID crapshow March-June

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: January 27, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
Again, we aren't doing that bad with vaccinations.  Our rate per 100 is better than pretty much everyone else. 

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1353827231462797312?s=20

Yah, we are one of the tallest midgets!

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: January 27, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
If you think things are bad here with distribution, they are really messed up in the European Union.  They were late to sign agreements and bet too big on the AZ vaccine. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/world/europe/europe-covid-vaccinations.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

This is going to hand Boris Johnson and other Brexit opponents a big political victory as well since England is doing very well with its roll out.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1244 on: January 27, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »
If you think things are bad here with distribution, they are really messed up in the European Union.  They were late to sign agreements and bet too big on the AZ vaccine. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/world/europe/europe-covid-vaccinations.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

This is going to hand Boris Johnson and other Brexit proponents opponents a big political victory as well since England is doing very well with its roll out.

It is kinda ironic that the UK got the better end of the first big post-Brexit 'contest' between the UK and the EU. In the long term, the EU will be just fine, but they really screwed the pooch on this one.

(And FIFY)

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: January 27, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »

It is kinda ironic that the UK got the better end of the first big post-Brexit 'contest' between the UK and the EU. In the long term, the EU will be just fine, but they really screwed the pooch on this one.

(And FIFY)

Oh I agree with you.  I just think its interesting that this is reinforcing all of the criticisms about the EU.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1246 on: January 27, 2021, 04:22:56 PM »
Oh I agree with you.  I just think its interesting that this is reinforcing all of the criticisms about the EU.

Absolutely. Interesting how things work sometimes....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: January 27, 2021, 07:06:50 PM »

My colleagues in Belgium, the heart of the EU’s driving mentality, always say their 3 most impactful exports are beer, chocolate, and ineffective bureaucracy

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1248 on: January 28, 2021, 10:00:06 AM »
Quick thinking by stranded Oregon public health workers prevents waste of several doses of Covid vaccine. Just a drop in the bucket, but we need more vaccination officials thinking this way to get as many shoots in arms as humanly possible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/us/oregon-vaccine-stuck-in-the-snow-drivers.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

The public health workers were driving back from a vaccination site in rural Cave Junction, Ore., on Tuesday when they got stuck in a snowstorm on the highway.

They knew they had only six hours to get the remaining doses of coronavirus vaccine back to people who were waiting for their shots in Grants Pass, roughly 30 miles away. Normally, the trip takes about 45 minutes.

But with a jackknifed tractor-trailer ahead of them, the crew realized they could be stuck for hours and the doses would expire.

So the workers made the decision to walk from car to car asking stranded drivers if they wanted to be vaccinated, right there on the spot.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1249 on: January 28, 2021, 11:08:05 AM »
Quick thinking by stranded Oregon public health workers prevents waste of several doses of Covid vaccine. Just a drop in the bucket, but we need more vaccination officials thinking this way to get as many shoots in arms as humanly possible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/us/oregon-vaccine-stuck-in-the-snow-drivers.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

The public health workers were driving back from a vaccination site in rural Cave Junction, Ore., on Tuesday when they got stuck in a snowstorm on the highway.

They knew they had only six hours to get the remaining doses of coronavirus vaccine back to people who were waiting for their shots in Grants Pass, roughly 30 miles away. Normally, the trip takes about 45 minutes.

But with a jackknifed tractor-trailer ahead of them, the crew realized they could be stuck for hours and the doses would expire.

So the workers made the decision to walk from car to car asking stranded drivers if they wanted to be vaccinated, right there on the spot.

Clever, but not sure if i would take a shot in the arm from 2 cats walking around in a snowstorm.   ;D