[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 373508 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1175 on: January 15, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
Did anyone else hear/read (and maybe I missed it hear) that now Trump's (and Bidens) plan is to release all vaccines for everyone to get one dose and not reserving any doses for 2nd doses?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: January 15, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
Did anyone else hear/read (and maybe I missed it hear) that now Trump's (and Bidens) plan is to release all vaccines for everyone to get one dose and not reserving any doses for 2nd doses?

This isn’t the case based on what I have read.  It is that they will rely on current production for the second dose instead of holding it back in reserve.  So what it means is if there is a mfg hiccup they will stop vaccinating new people and instead prioritize second doses

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: January 15, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »
This isn’t the case based on what I have read.  It is that they will rely on current production for the second dose instead of holding it back in reserve.  So what it means is if there is a mfg hiccup they will stop vaccinating new people and instead prioritize second doses

Thanks for clarifying

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1178 on: January 15, 2021, 02:24:41 PM »

That's my understanding as well. Essentially, just-in-time manufacturing instead of warehousing half of the supply.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: January 15, 2021, 06:14:47 PM »
This is a comprehensive piece.  I don’t expect things to go perfect but I am really tired of bad faith efforts. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccine-leaders-waited-months-to-approve-distribution-plans-11610737935

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: January 15, 2021, 06:34:10 PM »
I like the reports that Biden is ticked at his COVID team for not already having a plan.    Good.   Find a way.   There are a lot of resources available.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: January 16, 2021, 06:59:30 AM »
Amy reaction to this approach from the board experts?

https://pharmaphorum.com/r-d/views-analysis-r-d/a-new-approach-to-covid-19-treatment/

Zyesami was developed in conjunction with partner Relief Therapeutics, and NeuroRx is currently awaiting results from a Phase 2b/3 trial (COVID-AIV) evaluating the therapeutic for the treatment of respiratory failure in COVID-19 patients.

Based on years of research by Professor Sami Said at New York’s Stony Brook University, the drug is a synthetic formulation of Vasoactive Intestinal Peptide (VIP), a naturally occurring peptide that is highly concentrated in the lungs. VIP is known to have potent anti-inflammatory effects and can inhibit coronavirus replication and block the formation of inflammatory cytokines.

“Every air-breathing warm-blooded animal makes this peptide to protect the lungs from the toxic effects of breathing air,” NeuroRx CEO, Jonathan Javitt, MD, MPH, told pharmaphorum. “It protects the lungs against all injuries and turns out it has some extraordinarily valuable properties for patients with COVID-19.”
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1182 on: January 16, 2021, 08:06:46 AM »
I registered with the Meijer Pharmacy yesterday for the vaccine.  They'll text me when I"m eligible for the vaccine and I'll have 24 hours to accept or decline the appointment.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to do so - I can still look around for places that I can get it sooner too.  I'm figuring it will be June at least before I can get it in Wisconsin though since I'm not in a priority group.

Our middle and secondary schools are going back 5 days face to face the week of 1/25 ( had been hybrid since late November) but the staff that wants to hasn't been able to get vaccinated yet.  I know there are people trying to make it happen for them - hoping it happens soon.  I do think medical professionals and first responders should go before them but would like to see teachers in the next group.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: January 16, 2021, 08:38:04 AM »
My fiancé (MPS teacher) was emailed saying she was in 1A and she was jumping for joy for about 30min before they emailed again saying disregard first email. I guess it supposed to only go to school nurses but all the MOS received this email instead. Talk about a big swing in emotions
Maigh Eo for Sam

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: January 16, 2021, 08:40:00 AM »
Forgetful, any insight on the early J&J vaccine data?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: January 16, 2021, 10:01:29 AM »
Forgetful, any insight on the early J&J vaccine data?

Right now the J&J data is very preliminary. I can briefly summarize the take home message, and offer some insights as to promising and concerning aspects.

1. They have not evaluated if this actually prevents COVID yet. Rather they just assayed the immunogenic response and safety in a smaller Phase 1/2 study. Those results indicated that the vaccine appears safe, and generates production of neutralizing antibodies at levels equivalent to natural infection. This suggests, but does not prove, that the vaccine will be effective and safe.

2. Immunogenic responses did not seem to be altered tremendously by a 2nd dose, which suggests a single dose is likely sufficient.

3. In addition to developing an antibody response, they also observed a T-cell response. The T-cell response is important for developing immunity. In general, there are two types of T-cell responses, a Th1 response, and a Th2 response. These responses are antagonistic, so if you develop a Th1 response it will inhibit development of a Th2 response. If you develop a Th2 response, you inhibit development of a Th1 response. For fighting a viral infection, you need a Th1 response, so in vaccine design you are trying to target a Th1 response. In their study, they observed a Th1 response in those given either a low dose or high dose. These parts all look promising (see caveat below).

4. They did observe a Th2 response in 2 individuals. 1 each in low dose-young age group, and high-dose older group. This could be a cause of concern. For some diseases a Th2 response can actually make the disease more severe, whether this is the case for COVID, we don't know yet. The good news is that even in the patients that showed some Th2 responses, the overall T-cell response was biased towards Th1 (they look at a T1/T2 ratio), so its likely not too concerning.

What this all means in terms of efficacy in preventing disease, and severe disease will need to be determined in Phase 3 trials that are ongoing. Overall, it looks promising.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 10:03:53 AM by forgetful »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: January 16, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »
Thanks forgetful, for preparing a summary that someone like me can understand 😀

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: January 16, 2021, 11:37:36 AM »
Good stuff Forgetful, and I read their vaccine can just be refrigerated for months at a time too?

If we can a one shot vaccine with this easy of a storage could be a gamechanger (although I’ve read they are already experiencing some manufacturing hurdles).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1188 on: January 16, 2021, 03:02:43 PM »
So .. my elderly Michigan in-laws have registered for notification at a variety vaccination spots. -- Frankly, this is no way to run a railroad.  Insane that you'd need to register at multiple places to get in somewhere.

As far as I can google .. Meijer is the only notification list I could find (in Wisconsin.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: January 16, 2021, 03:04:35 PM »
Apparently that is a thing here.   Local health departments are trying to discourage it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1190 on: January 16, 2021, 03:49:44 PM »
So .. my elderly Michigan in-laws have registered for notification at a variety vaccination spots. -- Frankly, this is no way to run a railroad.  Insane that you'd need to register at multiple places to get in somewhere.

As far as I can google .. Meijer is the only notification list I could find (in Wisconsin.)

Yeah I registered on Meijer's site last night and plan to register anywhere else I can too.  But I'm not expecting to be able to get the vaccine anywhere for quite a few months.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: January 18, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: January 18, 2021, 01:33:12 PM »
That would be great news.  Seriously don’t know why this has become the latest argument-Politicians getting into the mix, etc. 

It’s something that will be known after a little time passes...and it’s not like it’s something that no one wants to study. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: January 18, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »
Potentially big news from Israel- https://www.israelhayom.com/2021/01/18/covid-vaccine-over-98-effective-in-creating-antibodies/

The last line of the article is the important part. The data makes it "reasonable to assume" that one cannot transmit the virus after the 2nd does. But this study didn't look into whether that was actually the case.

This study simply confirms the original Pfizer data regarding antibody production, it does not test the hypothesis that one cannot transmit the virus after vaccination.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: January 21, 2021, 11:50:10 AM »
A year of COVID.   New guys walk in to find no, zero, zip, nada, bupkes federal vaccine distribution plan.

Feels like the Detroit Lions leadership was in charge.

So, starting from scratch, there are going to have to be a lot of vaccines on the back end to reach 100 million in 100 days.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:05:32 PM by tower912 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: January 21, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »
A year of COVID.   New guys walk in to find no, zero, zip, nada, bupkes federal vaccine distribution plan.

So, starting from scratch, there are going to have to be a lot of vaccines on the back end to reach 100 million in 100 days.

Way more incompetent than the Detroit Lions.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1196 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »

We have been near 1 million per day for the past few.  I actually don't think this is going to be as difficult as you think.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1197 on: January 21, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »

We have been near 1 million per day for the past few.  I actually don't think this is going to be as difficult as you think.

Yup no plan but currently 1 million shots a day which falls in line with the goal of Biden administration of 100 million in 100 days.  So keep doing what we’re doing I guess?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: January 21, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »
That will be the floor.   I hope.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1199 on: January 21, 2021, 12:57:28 PM »
That will be the floor.   I hope.

I hope so too.  But it was announced as a goal not a guarantee which usually represents what they perceive as a realistic ceiling?

If they guaranteed a minimum of 1 million a day avg then I think it’s fair to categorize it as the floor.