[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 373462 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1200 on: January 21, 2021, 01:17:30 PM »
Finally heard back from a vaccine trial. Trying to decide whether to participate or not now that two have been approved.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: January 21, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
Going to have to be more and better production.   Going to actually need coordination with logistics.   Locally, the medical facilities are desperate for doses.   Having opted out of the first round due to existing antibodies, I am now being told my next opportunity, originally thought to be the first week of February, is now probably thought to be early March.   

No idea if this is universal.   Just know that locally the problem is supply, not demand.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1202 on: January 21, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »
Going to have to be more and better production.   Going to actually need coordination with logistics.   Locally, the medical facilities are desperate for doses.   Having opted out of the first round due to existing antibodies, I am now being told my next opportunity, originally thought to be the first week of February, is now probably thought to be early March.   

No idea if this is universal.   Just know that locally the problem is supply, not demand.

But I think the good news is despite the lack of plan, distribution is going decent.  I think production is the problem.  The local health system here is saying that they have the time and personnel to ramp up shots in arms, but just don't have the doses.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1203 on: January 21, 2021, 01:30:18 PM »
A year of COVID.   New guys walk in to find no, zero, zip, nada, bupkes federal vaccine distribution plan.

Feels like the Detroit Lions leadership was in charge.

So, starting from scratch, there are going to have to be a lot of vaccines on the back end to reach 100 million in 100 days.

Lions leadership should be terribly insulted with this comparison. The Lions actually won 5 of 16 games this season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: January 21, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »

Lions leadership should be terribly insulted with this comparison. The Lions actually won 5 of 16 games this season.
Well, Matthew Stafford did.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #1205 on: January 21, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
I signed up yesterday...earliest I get in is Feb 5th, so I a grateful for that.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1206 on: January 21, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
A year of COVID.   New guys walk in to find no, zero, zip, nada, bupkes federal vaccine distribution plan.

Feels like the Detroit Lions leadership was in charge.

So, starting from scratch, there are going to have to be a lot of vaccines on the back end to reach 100 million in 100 days.

Fauci said this reporting is false.  But we can all agree that guy is less then reliable with accurate information so who knows.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: January 21, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »
Go get 'em, Sparky. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1208 on: January 21, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
Go get 'em, Sparky.

Keep spreading misinformation tower!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: January 21, 2021, 06:38:02 PM »
You mean 'start'.    And Fauci also said he felt liberated and that it felt good to be able to talk honestly about the virus.    Science.   But thanks, spanky. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:01:34 PM by tower912 »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1210 on: January 22, 2021, 07:43:31 AM »
You mean 'start'.    And Fauci also said he felt liberated and that it felt good to be able to talk honestly about the virus.    Science.   But thanks, spanky.

Fauci saying he feels liberated to talk science isn’t what your OP said....chief

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: January 22, 2021, 07:48:32 AM »
You are correct, binky.  I did not use the entire interview.   Shame on me.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1212 on: January 22, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
You are correct, binky.  I did not use the entire interview.   Shame on me.

Is it that hard to say the information you posted from a CNN article turned out to be inaccurate?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: January 25, 2021, 08:23:40 AM »
https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

Not good news. Although the Moderna vaccine appears to still retain efficacy against the UK and South African strains, the neutralizing antibodies are 6-fold less active against the South African strain, which means there will likely be a decrease in efficacy for the vaccine.

The new Brazil strain hasn't been tested yet, but is similar to the South African strain, and is driving a second wave in Manaus.

If this keeps up, we will have an escape mutant before we even vaccinate 30% of our population.

We might want to consider shutting things down for awhile to stop the spread, and mutation of this virus. Or we will be seeing an escape mutant.

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: January 25, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »
There is zero chance we are shutting down anything.  The political environment would never allow it.  I'm just hoping people do mitigation through the Spring because I think there will be zero appetite for a summer like last year's.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1215 on: January 25, 2021, 08:49:47 AM »
There is zero chance we are shutting down anything.  The political environment would never allow it.  I'm just hoping people do mitigation through the Spring because I think there will be zero appetite for a summer like last year's.

I fear you are right. I also fear this will cause another huge spike in cases, suffering and deaths because the vaccination rate is not nearly fast enough to prevent it.

If we followed science instead of politics, we would be in a much better place.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: January 25, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »

I agree in all regards. Unfortunately, I'm now fearing that we may be living in a new normal. I think we have some time to avoid it, but there are some red flags popping up that threatens a return to the old normal.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: January 25, 2021, 08:55:45 AM »

I agree. And if this thing is gonna keep mutating, at what point do we just get shots in arms and just have to live with it? This could go on forever if we shut down for every new threatening strain.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: January 25, 2021, 09:15:12 AM »
I assume that this will become like a second flu shot.    Getting an annual vaccine that most closely approximates what is needed to fight the dominant strain du jour.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1219 on: January 25, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
I agree. And if this thing is gonna keep mutating, at what point do we just get shots in arms and just have to live with it? This could go on forever if we shut down for every new threatening strain.

The point of shutting down - if we do it right - would be to minimize the rate of transmission and thereby minimize the rate of mutations, so we don't have to keep shutting down in the future. If we don't shut down now, the future state will likely be very unpleasant..and considerably worse than we are living in today.

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: January 25, 2021, 09:54:12 AM »

I fear you are right. I also fear this will cause another huge spike in cases, suffering and deaths because the vaccination rate is not nearly fast enough to prevent it.

We may not have enough people vaccinated for herd immunity, but we may have "the right" people largely vaccinated to significantly lessen hospitalizations and deaths.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:11 AM »
The point of shutting down - if we do it right - would be to minimize the rate of transmission and thereby minimize the rate of mutations, so we don't have to keep shutting down in the future.

So.. flattening the curve?

In theory, you're correct. But I just have a growing skepticism about how effective these measures are in reality.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: January 25, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »
It will be interesting to see how things go with these new strains and the restlessness of people. It looks like some states are allowing indoor dining. I’m hearing more and more about back to work.

Which from my perspective, has anything changed regarding cases/death/spread to warrant this? Or are we just getting restless and wanting to get back to some normal and live with the risks?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #1223 on: January 25, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »
I see Wuhan is back to normal but yet we have the new strains popping up.  At any moment we could see the new strains surface any place, so is it not dangerous that places are back to normal?

Hopefully with us back in the WHO we can collaborate and have much better results than the past year

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: January 25, 2021, 11:13:10 AM »
It will be interesting to see how things go with these new strains and the restlessness of people. It looks like some states are allowing indoor dining. I’m hearing more and more about back to work.

Which from my perspective, has anything changed regarding cases/death/spread to warrant this? Or are we just getting restless and wanting to get back to some normal and live with the risks?

I think clearly people want to get back to normal.  There is no way we are having another year of remote schooling after this one.  There will be no political appetite for another round of financial stimulus.

So IMO the next few months are going to be about getting the vaccine to those who most need it, and telling everyone else to be patient.  But by summer?    I think people are going to pretty much want to return to what they want to do.  Maybe large sporting events and things like Summerfest still have limitations, but indoor dining, etc. will look similar to what it was.