[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87731 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2020, 01:08:16 AM »
I'm glad you brought this here MU82, I saw this the other night..Yes, it's women's basketball, but the first thing I thought of was hoping TAMU would see this because he always says "no school fires a Coach coming off an NCAA bid etc"(let alone one with her resume)..well...they do.

Men's basketball and women's basketball are very different animals. Give me examples from men's basketball where a non blue blood fired a coach coming off 2 consecutive NCAATs, cause I can only think of one in the past 20 years.

Also, my guess is that Aston's firing had zero to do with her performance on the court.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:15:17 AM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2020, 09:10:48 AM »
I'm glad you brought this here MU82, I saw this the other night..Yes, it's women's basketball, but the first thing I thought of was hoping TAMU would see this because he always says "no school fires a Coach coming off an NCAA bid etc"(let alone one with her resume)..well...they do.

I tend to agree with TAMU on Aston's firing likely having little to do with her record. Women's basketball does not get the press that men's basketball does, so it's less likely that other reasons will be made known. It's worth noting that Aston was allowed to get to the end of her contract -- something that just about never happens with a men's basketball coach, especially one coming off three straight 15-3 conference seasons. You're smart enough to know all of that.

But yes, there have been schools that have fired coaches that had made the NCAAs in consecutive years. They can be counted on one hand, but there have been a few in recent history.

Rick Barnes actually was one of those coaches fired by a non-blueblood despite going to consecutive NCAA tournaments -- and 16 in 17 years. It's working out superbly at Texas with his replacement, that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »
Men's basketball and women's basketball are very different animals. Give me examples from men's basketball where a non blue blood fired a coach coming off 2 consecutive NCAATs, cause I can only think of one in the past 20 years.

Also, my guess is that Aston's firing had zero to do with her performance on the court.

The short answer is 95 miles. That is the distance between Waco and Austin. Aston’s record vs Baylor in those 8 years? 1-18.

Baylor’s record vs Texas prior to Kim Mulkey 9-47.

One elite 8, a handful of other Sweet 16’s would be welcomed and even celebrated many other places. Zero Big 12 Titles, 32-47 vs Top 25 teams. Pushing 7 figures with incentives in her expiring deal.

At Baylor, Mulkey has made the NCAA’s every year but one. Not counting this past season her 20th there, it was 18 of 19. That also includes the past 10 straight Big 12 Titles. 3 National Titles. One additional Final Four, 5 additional Elite 8’s, 5 additional Sweet 16’s.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:22:56 AM by shoothoops »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »
Aston’s record vs Baylor in those 8 years? 1-18.

So infinitely more successful than the entire AAC was against UConn?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2020, 09:28:03 AM »
The short answer is 95 miles. That is the distance between Waco and Austin. Aston’s record vs Baylor in those 8 years? 1-18.

Baylor’s record vs Texas prior to Kim Mulkey 9-47.

One elite 8, a handful of other Sweet 16’s would be welcomed and even celebrated many other places. Zero Big 12 Titles, 32-47 vs Top 25 teams. Pushing 7 figures with incentives in her expiring deal.

At Baylor, Mulkey has made the NCAA’s every year but one. Not counting this past season her 20th there, it was 18 of 19. That also includes the past 10 straight Big 12 Titles. 3 National Titles. One additional Final Four, 5 additional Elite 8’s, 5 additional Sweet 16’s.

So you think Aston was fired because she was not Mulkey and Texas was not Baylor?

Perhaps, but that's pretty tough.

If so, nobody can accuse of the Texas AD for settling for "mediocrity." As long as one doesn't count sticking with Shaka, of course.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2020, 09:45:01 AM »
So you think Aston was fired because she was not Mulkey and Texas was not Baylor?

Perhaps, but that's pretty tough.

If so, nobody can accuse of the Texas AD for settling for "mediocrity." As long as one doesn't count sticking with Shaka, of course.

It’s a combination of things.

Shaka has 3 years left on his guaranteed contract that has been top 15 Nationally in terms of compensation.

Aston’s close to 7 figure deal was expiring.

Texas paid more than $10 million to make Charlie Strong go away in football and it wasn’t likely going to do that for hoops.

Shaka just completed his 5th season so there is obviously chatter about his status at this point.

Texas Women’s Hoops used to be a thing. From 1985-1997 they had an undefeated season, National Title, top 5 women’s hoops attendance. (Now they get less than both Baylor and Texas A&M. A lot has changed at Texas and in Austin since that time.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:52:10 AM by shoothoops »

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
Last July, the No. 8 overall prospect in the 2018 class rankings, Sedona Prince, a 6-7 post from Liberty Hill in the Austin area, transferred to Oregon after sitting out her freshman year recovering from a broken leg, citing "medical reasons."

She later told the "Pour Your Heart Out" podcast that she felt "neglected" during her recovery.

"I felt very alone through my entire process and I felt very unsafe to the point to where I couldn't -- for my career and my body that I'm going to have the rest of my life -- I couldn't stay," she said. "I couldn't be there and allow myself to be hurt anymore, allow myself to be neglected anymore. That's when I decided to transfer."

The Longhorns' 2017 recruiting class featured three ESPN 100 recruits who all transferred prior to their junior seasons: Rellah Boothe, ranked as the country's No. 1 forward; Chasity Patterson, considered the No. 1 guard; and Destiny Littleton, the No. 10 guard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2020, 01:00:00 PM »
Last July, the No. 8 overall prospect in the 2018 class rankings, Sedona Prince, a 6-7 post from Liberty Hill in the Austin area, transferred to Oregon after sitting out her freshman year recovering from a broken leg, citing "medical reasons."

She later told the "Pour Your Heart Out" podcast that she felt "neglected" during her recovery.

"I felt very alone through my entire process and I felt very unsafe to the point to where I couldn't -- for my career and my body that I'm going to have the rest of my life -- I couldn't stay," she said. "I couldn't be there and allow myself to be hurt anymore, allow myself to be neglected anymore. That's when I decided to transfer."

The Longhorns' 2017 recruiting class featured three ESPN 100 recruits who all transferred prior to their junior seasons: Rellah Boothe, ranked as the country's No. 1 forward; Chasity Patterson, considered the No. 1 guard; and Destiny Littleton, the No. 10 guard.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting this insight.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
Vic Schaefer is the new women's basketball coach at Texas, after spending the past eight seasons building a powerhouse at Mississippi State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2020, 07:13:41 PM »
Vic Schaefer is the new women's basketball coach at Texas, after spending the past eight seasons building a powerhouse at Mississippi State.

Two National Title games and an Elite 8 in the past three NCAA's. Big success there.

He also happens to have been an assistant at Texas A&M during their 2011 National Title run...which includes a win over Baylor along the way. As a head coach at Mississippi St., his Bulldogs knocked Baylor out of the Elite 8 in 2017.

Houston native, Texas A&M grad. assistant at Arkansas and A&M. He had just one winning season in seven as a very young Sam Houston State head coach.

He made $1.6 million at Mississippi St. and is rumored to be getting $2 million per year at Texas.

New Arena opens 2021. They are gonna take their shot at Baylor and the women's college hoops elite.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
Two National Title games and an Elite 8 in the past three NCAA's. Big success there.

He also happens to have been an assistant at Texas A&M during their 2011 National Title run...which includes a win over Baylor along the way. As a head coach at Mississippi St., his Bulldogs knocked Baylor out of the Elite 8 in 2017.

Houston native, Texas A&M grad. assistant at Arkansas and A&M. He had just one winning season in seven as a very young Sam Houston State head coach.

He made $1.6 million at Mississippi St. and is rumored to be getting $2 million per year at Texas.

New Arena opens 2021. They are gonna take their shot at Baylor and the women's college hoops elite.

Tremendous hire. MSU had little WBB history to speak of, one decent year a decade ago with their previous coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2020, 10:29:09 PM »

Well then ... dumping the other coach now makes a lot of sense.

Why can't Marquette dump Wojo and hire a coach who has been to two national title games and an Elite 8 in the last 3 NCAAs? Why settle for mediocrity?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 06, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »

Why can't Marquette dump Wojo and hire a coach who has been to two national title games and an Elite 8 in the last 3 NCAAs? Why settle for mediocrity?

For perspective, Scott Merritt left MU to be an assistant at Illinois. The salary of the departing assistant was $250k, and the head coach is on a $3.3 million deal over six years, not uncluding perks and incentives. The head coach MU's Carolyn Kieger replaced at Penn St. was making $3.5 million over five years, not including perks and incentives. Both of these have been struggling Big Ten, Power 5, programs.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:16:51 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »

Why'd you give guru your password?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »

Wow.  $2M for a head coach in NCAAW Basketball?  Wonder how much revenue our women's team generates for the University.  Anyone have any context?

Men's Head Coaching salaries soon will be $4M/season for a decent coach.  Wonder how basketball only schools will be able to continue to compete.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »

You’re right, we settled for the wrong Dookie.

😁
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
Wow.  $2M for a head coach in NCAAW Basketball?  Wonder how much revenue our women's team generates for the University.  Anyone have any context?

Men's Head Coaching salaries soon will be $4M/season for a decent coach.  Wonder how basketball only schools will be able to continue to compete.

And UConn and Geno Auriemma will be re-joining the Big East. He is finishing up a 5 year $13 million deal not counting perks and incentives that pushed it towards $3 million. He has also been able to keep long term various assistants over the years because of the high assistant pay of a top program. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Why'd you give guru your password?

Why'd you lose your ability to see sarcasm?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
For perspective, Scott Merritt left MU to be an assistant at Illinois. The salary of the departing assistant was $250k, and the head coach is on a $3.3 million deal over six years, not uncluding perks and incentives. The head coach MU's Carolyn Kieger replaced at Penn St. was making $3.5 million not including perks and incentives. Both of these have been struggling Big Ten, Power 5, programs.

Football and TV money right there.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2020, 06:43:16 PM »
Football and TV money right there.

Yeah. This numbers are pretty shocking. The wbb head coach at Penn State made more than Wojo? That is surprising.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
Yeah. This numbers are pretty shocking. The wbb head coach at Penn State made more than Wojo? That is surprising.

They have to show some equity with men's sports, so WBB is ideal to keep up with what Franklin is making for football.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2020, 08:16:47 PM »
Why'd you lose your ability to see sarcasm?

Same question to you, pardner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2020, 09:41:16 PM »
Same question to you, pardner.

Ah ... the ol' double-sarcasm switcheroo. Well, you got me!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »
Jordan Sperber’s excellent newsletter last week. Coaches that have exceeded their pre season KenPom efficiency margin every year:

Other coaches who have outperformed preseason expectations in every season:

Chris Holtmann (8-for-8)
Pat Kelsey (8-for-8)
Craig Smith (6-for-6)
Mark Pope (5-for-5)
Steve Forbes (5-for-5)
Grant McCasland (4-for-4)
Heath Schroyer (4-for-4)

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2020, 11:57:09 PM »

If God had wanted Texans to ski, He would have made bullcrap white.  Look, this is Texas we are talking about.  Logic does not necessarily have anything to do with it.  As noted, Aston had a great recruiting class with three top-100 players and lost them all.  And she lost this one.  The other side of it is that her remaining players could not stop talking about how great she was. 

Aston's predecessor was a coach who had reached the Final Four at Duke, another place with kind of high expectations, and she got burned out and quit.  Aston was a longtime assistant to the legendary coach that built the Texas program and lead it to the Final Four.  That of course was before Baylor became one of the top programs in the nation.  Reportedly, Aston's former boss and the AD who hired her who was still in charge of the women's program were constantly on her back and she was relieved to be relieved.  She was not coming back anyway. 

When Pat Summitt was the queen of college basketball, the other schools in the SEC all got better competing with UT, and they did not all fire their coaches because they could not regularly beat them.  Similarly, even when the Big East was the strongest conference out there and put three teams in the final four, schools were not firing their coaches because they could not consistently beat Auriemma and UConn.  But those conferences did not include Texas - and at least the Big East ones all have snow.