[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: U Conn with Big Cuts To Athletics  (Read 7406 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: U Conn with Big Cuts To Athletics
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 10:21:47 PM »
URI football plays in the CAA. The original Yankee Conference was the flagship state schools of New England: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island.
I now know about URI football.  Thanks.

I thought I was a good sports fan. I guess not.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
You'd be hard pressed to find another AD in the country that has performed as much positive change as UConn's Dave Benedict has in the past 12 months.  He moved the prime money making programs (men's/women's basketball) back to the Big East, reigniting old/regional rivalries and the ability to play in a basketball tournament in NYC (I also expect the women's tournament to move to CT).  He successfully created an above average independent schedule for several future years, with only months to arrange, with more regional opponents (Syracuse, BC, UMass, Army, Buffalo, Temple), solid P5 opponents (Purdue, Duke, NC State, Indiana, Virginia, Maryland, UNC) as well as elite-level buy games against national championship-level programs (Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, Tennessee).  Finally, with yesterday's news, he is shaving off $10 million annually of an imbalanced athletics budget (which he inherited) that has an annual $40+ million deficit. 

Absolutely remarkable.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Big East Women's Tournament is moving to the Mohegan Sun Arena.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2020, 02:57:23 PM »
You'd be hard pressed to find another AD in the country that has performed as much positive change as UConn's Dave Benedict has in the past 12 months.  He moved the prime money making programs (men's/women's basketball) back to the Big East, reigniting old/regional rivalries and the ability to play in a basketball tournament in NYC (I also expect the women's tournament to move to CT).  He successfully created an above average independent schedule for several future years, with only months to arrange, with more regional opponents (Syracuse, BC, UMass, Army, Buffalo, Temple), solid P5 opponents (Purdue, Duke, NC State, Indiana, Virginia, Maryland, UNC) as well as elite-level buy games against national championship-level programs (Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan, Tennessee).  Finally, with yesterday's news, he is shaving off $10 million annually of an imbalanced athletics budget (which he inherited) that has an annual $40+ million deficit. 

Absolutely remarkable.

Sounds like a lot of leadership to me.
Let's remember that he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. Matthew 26.